Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Do the Dreamliners still crack wings and catch fire? Haven't really heard a lot about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

we don’t put planes in the air. Not 100% confident.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Glumwheels posted:

Idk maybe hire airplane experts to run an airplane mfger? Maybe having dipshit CEOs from random corporations on the board of Boeing isn’t helpful?

Seeing the same thing with other companies like Nike. Putting an idiot who doesn’t have experience with the category in the ceo spot and oh look, everything goes to poo poo.

No it's clearly the pilot's fault. Much like how the supermarket cashier is responsible for when the delivery truck crashes 30 miles from here and I can't get my favorite cookies.

Also diversity's fault.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

"We weren't confident in this one but we thought it would be really funny if the panel just blew off and scared the poo poo out of everyone."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is this like the couple of weeks after the Palestine OH derailment where there was increased media coverage of an already existing constant hum of infrastructure collapse. Or does this represent an actual uptick in failures.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Glumwheels posted:

Idk maybe hire airplane experts to run an airplane mfger? Maybe having dipshit CEOs from random corporations on the board of Boeing isn’t helpful?

Seeing the same thing with other companies like Nike. Putting an idiot who doesn’t have experience with the category in the ceo spot and oh look, everything goes to poo poo.

sounds bad for number actually

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Glumwheels posted:

It's like clockwork when companies get non-industry leadership they go to absolute poo poo. Dudes with completely empty heads whose qualification is self-fufilling "can be CEO because was CEO"

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

yeah, we put them in the ground

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

In Training posted:

Is this like the couple of weeks after the Palestine OH derailment where there was increased media coverage of an already existing constant hum of infrastructure collapse. Or does this represent an actual uptick in failures.

yes. people are pointing out dumb airline maintenance poo poo on boeing planes that are decades old. there's only two big airliner manufacturers and most of them operating in the us are boeing

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

this is exactly what someone who puts planes into the air without 100% confidence would say

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
gonna need an 8D on the failures and also gimme an A3 on top of that. ok let’s gemba walk to fix these planes in one day.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

the milk machine posted:

yes. people are pointing out dumb airline maintenance poo poo on boeing planes that are decades old. there's only two big airliner manufacturers and most of them operating in the us are boeing

If China's aircraft industry follows their auto industry it's only a matter of time until Boeing gets thrown in the dumpster by their laurels

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Justin Tyme posted:

If China's aircraft industry follows their auto industry it's only a matter of time until Boeing gets thrown in the dumpster by their laurels

i find it hard to believe the us government would let this happen; i'm guessing boeing commercial becomes even more like a defense contractor (as much government handout money as needed to keep the lights on despite being terrible at doing anything real)

lmao at the bipartisan culture war bullshit that would erupt over "AMERICAN Airlines is buying CHINESE planes?????"

plus the military needs boeing to keep making their military variants

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

if you aim for the ground you can’t miss 100% of the time

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
ben shapiro segment about the woke us military flying gay (french) airplanes

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The "DEI is responsible for someone not tightening the blots on the door plug/the plug blowing out during cabin pressurization" thing is a purely right wing media construction right? I don't think it would really work anywhere else because it sounds unhinged unless you've been living in that ecosystem for years

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

in theory the USA could and probably should have a national industrial policy. does not appear to be the case tho ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They are white supremacists. They are going to have that answer to every problem

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

the milk machine posted:

i find it hard to believe the us government would let this happen; i'm guessing boeing commercial becomes even more like a defense contractor (as much government handout money as needed to keep the lights on despite being terrible at doing anything real)

lmao at the bipartisan culture war bullshit that would erupt over "AMERICAN Airlines is buying CHINESE planes?????"

plus the military needs boeing to keep making their military variants

Yeah I don't think they'll go defunct or anything because of their military contracts but the commercial aircraft industry is ripe for another entity to jump in.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Monkey Fracas posted:

The "DEI is responsible for someone not tightening the blots on the door plug/the plug blowing out during cabin pressurization" thing is a purely right wing media construction right? I don't think it would really work anywhere else because it sounds unhinged unless you've been living in that ecosystem for years

Yeah it's pretty much a scapegoat when a CEO decides to cut funding and poo poo starts to break down and blow up.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Monkey Fracas posted:

they made up some thing about how boeing only hires non-white people with cerebral palsy now or something, it's just garden variety lunacy

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Raccooon posted:

But what if I my days are 6am-10am 10-am-2pm and 2pm-6pm

I’m getting a whole extra day and out stacking this dude all year.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

euphronius posted:

in theory the USA could and probably should have a national industrial policy. does not appear to be the case tho ?

Oh we do! It's when traffic gets all hosed up then you look at local news and it says "Kamala Harris delivers remarks at local Tupperware warehouse"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

It's like clockwork when companies get non-industry leadership they go to absolute poo poo. Dudes with completely empty heads whose qualification is self-fufilling "can be CEO because was CEO"

I mean it's the inevitable result of trying to squeeze more profit out of any company, just keep cutting whatever corners you can get away with until one day oops too far

It MUST happen- if the company itself doesn't do it some PE firm will leverage buyout and rip the copper wiring out if the walls

Sometimes the only consequence is some bullshit fine that's so small it doesn't really deter them and it just keeps getting worse

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yes it was circling right wing media space almost before the plane landed. I would not be surprised if someone from Boeing called their contact at the Daily Wire and a deal was made.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah I don't think they'll go defunct or anything because of their military contracts but the commercial aircraft industry is ripe for another entity to jump in.

external, perhaps, but not internal and will likely never see a new internal entity. the amount of capital required to startup commercial aircraft is obscene. particularly with interest rates as they are. airliners are also fairly big money losers overall but makeup for it in like mileage programs and doodads.

why take the risk investing like $10 billion into a new aircraft manufacturing when you could invest $10 billion into NVDA or apple instead??

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

MyCharts/epic has been around for like 40 years at this point

the woman who founded epic is a completely insane, like howard hughes-esque

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
every single epic computer toucher seems annoying online. on that basis, i judge epic to condemnation and destruction

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

This isn't actually true, and only really took off when home cooking was obliterated, on top of a lot of social engineering work to create this pattern of consumption.

Hotels had restaurants, and there were restaurants for social events and work meetings, but eating at a restaurant often is only decades old.

that's true, though also there's a lot of good restaurants that make food way the gently caress better than i can so eh

Xaris posted:

every single epic computer toucher seems annoying online. on that basis, i judge epic to condemnation and destruction

i previously worked at a place where almost everyone did epic stuff (not me tho thank god) and they would get very excited talking about visiting epic in madison and their "amazing salad bar"

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Xaris posted:

airliners are also fairly big money losers overall but makeup for it in like mileage programs and doodads.

the way to be a successful commercial airline is to match your revenue to the rate of depreciation of your fleet; as your airplanes age you deduct the annual depreciation from your income so you keep a slim profit margin and very low tax liability

the airplanes themselves may not make money, but when you factor in their amortized depreciation (there are rules and curves about how you're allowed to depreciate different kinds of capital assets and they are very favorable and long term for big ol airplanes) baby you got a stew goin

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

:lol: the collapse of Blockbuster was right after they installed a CEO whose experience was Taco Bell and 7-Eleven

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I mean I can believe they have 100% confidence, it’s just that that is obviously meaningless lol

Backcountry
Jan 16, 2009
Boeing up 2.5%!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Backcountry posted:

Boeing up 2.5%!

Much like their planes it has to go up before it can crash.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Salt Fish posted:

Much like their planes it has to go up before it can crash.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Big crashes mean big bailouts!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

They’re saying that black people are too stupid to fly planes or tighten bolts and they’re going to get more open in their racism as time goes on because there are fewer and fewer well paying jobs and white people need to gatekeep them. The whole “lazy government workers” meme came into being as black people started entering civil service en masse because it was a way to get into the middle class that wasn’t actively discriminatory in hiring practices.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

My "we don't put planes in the air we aren't 100% confident in" shirt is prompting a lot of questions etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Justin Tyme posted:

Private Equity firms almost own everything now thanks to the Bush/Obama era fiscal policies