Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
At first I thought that it was about Cool Hand Ang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I would never disparage an enjoyer of good hair days

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

beepo posted:

I think trying to make a pro wrestling product that literally looks "real," whatever that means to you, doesn't end up working most of the time because in execution it becomes "stall with some sloppy grappling that doesn't go anywhere." I think the mindset gets messed up when the goal is too focused on the idea of realism.

I think they'd see better results with making small adjustments towards realism. If you are doing a cross armbreaker spot, make it about the fight to get the hold cleanly applied. Sitting there with the armbreaker cleanly applied for 30 seconds while you don't even appear to be trying to escape or even reduce the pressure of the hold just kinda looks bad. Enough people know how an armbreaker or whatever other real hold works in 2024, so just sell in a more realistic way. You can even literally lay out matches the same way, as this is really just about the execution.

I'd say that leaning towards having some struggle to apply holds and attempting escapes makes it more engaging, even for the mythical casual fan. Instinctively, you know that the reaction to someone applying a limb lock is to try to protect that limb and get the other person to lose the hold. Sitting back and grimacing to an ankle lock is illogical (yes, beep boop I'm a robot), but you know it's true and I don't think selling the struggle to apply holds would turn away fans. I think it is just one of this "this is just how wrestling works" mentality kind of things, and just assumed to be the correct way.

I've been on this train of thought recently, but maybe the conclusion I'm reaching is that it is important to selectively utilize suspension of disbelief efficiently. Make it count when you stylistically stretch realism in service of doing something cool. Rules can be broken, but don't break them when you aren't gaining anything by doing so.

This is why the best of classic World of Sports rules. All time smooth and technical catch wrestling pressed in to the service of goofy comedy spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXhMHHR4s1k

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

drat, only 2 for 4 on the “bluecheck = bad opinion” thesis

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"People won't know to like a wrestler if all they see is him wrestling good!!" I shriek, slamming my forepaws onto the keyboard.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

You know if you've signed a new wrestler who a lot of the fans don't know you can just present him as a star and assuming he has the talent & presence to live up to that billing then people will generally go along with it. People don't automatically have to start at the bottom. They come in, your commentators explain why this is a big deal & you put him in an important position, & especially if you debut him in an environment where he has the highest chance of being over from day 1 (for an easy example, the Raw after Mania) because the audience know him & react positively.

I know this is all quite alien to how Vince McMahon booked wrestling but just saying it doesn't have to be that way. Being a great booker isn't easy, but booking a star as a star sure as poo poo doesn't have to be hard. Put him with a manager if his English is such a big deal. Not even saying he needs to come in & beat your champion day 1. But I dunno, if I was booking it I'd maybe consider throwing him in there night 1 against Gunther. I'd have him be the guy to end Gunther's IC Title reign, he's only 27 days shy of surpassing Pedro Morales for the most days holding the IC title, once he's got that record, I dunno, seems like a ready made position to make someone. And enable Gunther to move up the pecking order.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Vince McMahon is a good "booker" because arena management and TV execs likes him, it has nothing to do with his largely creatively bankrupt approach to show presentation. Dipshits show up because they're addicted to feeling mediocre, nursing homes turn the TV on at 8pm on mondays because NFL is "too exciting."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Chris Benoit is a murderer and I don't know how to accept that.

https://twitter.com/CastagnaTiffany/status/1750168862316777693

quote:

Dear @TripleH
I’m not sure what’s true, but this would be a crime. You’ve spent two years beautifully telling this story. Cody has done everything right. He’s worked so hard, he’s the face of the company, the fans love him, he brings in tons of money. Last year’s #WrestleMania was the biggest ever and it was headlined by Cody Rhodes and Roman Reigns.

#WWE let down 81,000+ fans in attendance and millions around the world when Cody Rhodes didn’t finish the story last year. Despite that, we’ve stuck with this because we love Cody and believed the wrong would be righted in Philadelphia.

Now we are 74 days from WrestleMania night 2 and stories like this are surfacing and we can only believe it’s because @TheRock
decided to waltz back into the company.

It was said that WrestleMania’s tickets were the fastest selling in history when they went on sale last year. This was NOT because of The Rock. This was because of the fans’ hope they’d see Cody Rhodes finish his story. 2023 was the most successful year in @WWE
history. Again, where was The Rock? Cody Rhodes has carried this company on his back (along with others) without the help of part timers and the numbers do not lie in terms of the success it has brought in.

I would hope that with you in charge and not Vince McMahon, something like this wouldn’t even be a concern. I pray this is some kind of swerve, but at this point I don’t know and I need to put this out there. Throwing away a two year build, something the fans are extremely behind and have already paid and planned trips to see is a very “Vince” move and would be incredibly disappointing after how far WWE has come with you in charge. To derail from something going so perfectly to let a part timer come back and take the spot from someone literally working 24/7 for this would be the most “Vince” thing ever and would be an enormous mistake. We want to see Cody Rhodes finish the story against Roman Reigns at WrestleMania 40.

@SI_wrestling
@JustinBarrasso
@davidlagreca1
@SeanRossSapp
@bfg728
#CodyRhodes #FinishTheStory

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MassRafTer posted:

Chris Benoit is a murderer and I don't know how to accept that.

https://twitter.com/CastagnaTiffany/status/1750168862316777693

Tiffany is no longer All Elite???

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Whole lotta “we” in that lady’s screed

And you know, I hate to accuse her of bias, but I feel like she might have a horse in this race

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Tiffany is no longer All Elite???

She immediately changed her name when Cody showed up at Wrestlemania.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Pylons posted:

She immediately changed her name when Cody showed up at Wrestlemania.

smdh

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

#WWE let down 81,000+ fans in attendance and millions around the world when Cody Rhodes didn’t finish the story last year. Despite that, we’ve stuck with this because we love Cody and believed the wrong would be righted in Philadelphia.

If you let us down again, don't worry, we'll continue to stick with you because we love Cody and believe the wrong will be righted at the next Wrestlemania.

If you let us down then, don't worry, we'll continue to stick with you because...

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

You know if you've signed a new wrestler who a lot of the fans don't know you can just present him as a star and assuming he has the talent & presence to live up to that billing then people will generally go along with it. People don't automatically have to start at the bottom. They come in, your commentators explain why this is a big deal & you put him in an important position, & especially if you debut him in an environment where he has the highest chance of being over from day 1 (for an easy example, the Raw after Mania) because the audience know him & react positively.

I know this is all quite alien to how Vince McMahon booked wrestling but just saying it doesn't have to be that way. Being a great booker isn't easy, but booking a star as a star sure as poo poo doesn't have to be hard. Put him with a manager if his English is such a big deal. Not even saying he needs to come in & beat your champion day 1. But I dunno, if I was booking it I'd maybe consider throwing him in there night 1 against Gunther. I'd have him be the guy to end Gunther's IC Title reign, he's only 27 days shy of surpassing Pedro Morales for the most days holding the IC title, once he's got that record, I dunno, seems like a ready made position to make someone. And enable Gunther to move up the pecking order.

Or you could use vignettes to promote someone's appearance. Not every debut has to be a shock for hashtags and clicks. If you're wanting someone to be a big deal off the jump then hype them up, show Okada crushing people in the PC, have AJ/Gallows/Anderson say he's the toughest person they've ever faced, tell the audience that the best wrestler in the world is coming. I know they haven't hyped up someone since HHH's quad tear return but you can do it to someone else.

And then he comes out as Lil' Skipper Kazu with a toy parrot that Mattel can sell to kids.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Kennel posted:

At first I thought that it was about Cool Hand Ang.

Wait, it's not?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

My favourite thing about "Okada needs to learn how to work the hard cam" is that Okada's signature move literally involves working the hard cam.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

edogawa rando posted:

Wait, it's not?

Former Trustbusters member and Swerve heavy Parker Bordeaux.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Can someone summarize Cody's story? Isn't it just "I want to win the big one which Daddy never did whoops I'm not as powerful as Roman or even Seth oh well!"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lamuella posted:

My favourite thing about "Okada needs to learn how to work the hard cam" is that Okada's signature move literally involves working the hard cam.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Former Trustbusters member and Swerve heavy Parker Bordeaux.

Oh him. What happened to him. Is he injured or something?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
He's her favourite midcarder.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

rotinaj posted:

drat, only 2 for 4 on the “bluecheck = bad opinion” thesis

Moving to a new country is really stressful and he’ll have to settle in, get a house license, etc. Also he should have to re-learn everything about his career while doing that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Endless Mike posted:

Can someone summarize Cody's story? Isn't it just "I want to win the big one which Daddy never did whoops I'm not as powerful as Roman or even Seth oh well!"

yeah

Fart Radio
Sep 7, 2010

@Therock hey man check it... You ever kill a man or no? Hit me up. ;)

edogawa rando posted:

Oh him. What happened to him. Is he injured or something?

he had the single worst performance in AEW history against dustin rhodes a while back and they immediately put Swerve with The Embassy instead

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Parker is simply too powerful for the coward Tony

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Moving to a new country is really stressful and he’ll have to settle in, get a house license, etc. Also he should have to re-learn everything about his career while doing that.

All of the opinions were bad, just only two of the four posters had bought the Twitter flair

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Baseball mutant just banished and Hypebeast never looked good or interesting so that may be it. Putting Swerve with the Embassy lead to Nana dancing to Swerve's theme and that was a highlight of 2023 for me.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think Trench got injured before he ever actually wrestled a match and was released last year, and Parker had the (apparently, ive never actually seen it lol) wretchedly bad match and then also got hurt, which led directly into Swerve "merging" his faction with the Embassy

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I saw the match, it wasn't good and it looked liked everyone hated him.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

coconono posted:

I saw the match, it wasn't good and it looked liked everyone hated him.

In case anyone else was curious, here

https://archive.org/details/aew-rampage-on-fight-episode-84-03-03-23

Match starts at about 37 minutes

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/ProdbyNEMFM/status/1750231771881324821

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zero chance that this dude watched any unmasked Rey back then

He very much did not become a star when he unmasked, he became a wee small boy who hung out with Kidman and konnan

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Unmasking Rey was one of Bischoff’s greatest crimes.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
no mask Mysterio was deeply cursed

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
https://twitter.com/banginstevieb/status/1750229823803302081

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Its been a few years im sure he didn't look that goofy everyone is proba-

Hrm.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
People really have memed Cody’s capital-S Story into believing that WWE does good storytelling, haven’t they?

I don’t doubt Triple H is a fresher creative mind, but man, WWE history is littered with storylines that got aborted because Hogan/Michaels/Trips/Cena/Lesnar argued that following through to the end didn’t work for them, brother.

This isn’t as stupid as people arguing that Tony contract-tampered Adam Copeland as if it didn’t take more than a couple of days for them to come to terms, for Cope to call Alter Bridge to clear the music, and for him to film the debut vignette.

(You can even pretty much figure out when the vignette was filmed because it was on the same night the Mariners won a home game, which was not happening for them for most of September)

TinTower fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 24, 2024

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

TinTower posted:

Apparently, Okada really needs to go to Hard Cam University:

https://twitter.com/yomamahouce/status/1749824085255672085

lol it's a wrestling school not a loving halfway house.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Editors Note: Okada's wife Suzuko Mimori has already been in Netflix produced series