Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm going to watch the bad spider people movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i will watch the bad spider movie, but on on an aeroplane back from the Amazon where I was researching spiders

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Bad Spider movie has Dora the Explorer in it, and what was she exploring in the Amazon? Spiders!*

*I don't remember spiders in the movie but just go with it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I hope the new one has the cop character and he gets murked IMMEDIATELY. Raiden's just like "40%, dude. 40%."

Lol the second animated movie did that

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's more likely I will watch the Madame Web movie than any other Marvel or DC movie that doesn't have one of the big hero guys or that doesn't have, like, Sam Raimi directing. At least Madame Web looks like a hilarious trash fire.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*listlessly*

♫ "what do you want from me" ♫

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What this movie needs are some musical numbers and a last minute 3D conversion.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
all of the kids on tik tok are saying it's Madamin time!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Are you ready to hit that Web!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I never heard much about Madame Web, I get the impression her deal is that she mostly just has Spider-sense, but it's so powerful she's a full on fortune teller?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Madame Web, the Internet mummy

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I never heard much about Madame Web, I get the impression her deal is that she mostly just has Spider-sense, but it's so powerful she's a full on fortune teller?

Basically, but Madam Web's lasting influence is largely with Spider-Verse stuff. She was in the 90's cartoon series (voiced by Stan Lee's wife) and plucked a bunch of Spider-Men from their home universes to help take down a version of Peter Parker that had bonded with the Carnage Symbiote. She has a similar role in the Shattered Dimensions video game (which was co-written by Dan Slott, who would later introduce the Spider-Verse fully into the comics).

But despite Spider-Verse crossovers being immensely popular in live action and animation, this version of the character doesn't seem to be having anything to do with it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Robot Style posted:

Basically, but Madam Web's lasting influence is largely with Spider-Verse stuff. She was in the 90's cartoon series (voiced by Stan Lee's wife) and plucked a bunch of Spider-Men from their home universes to help take down a version of Peter Parker that had bonded with the Carnage Symbiote. She has a similar role in the Shattered Dimensions video game (which was co-written by Dan Slott, who would later introduce the Spider-Verse fully into the comics).

But despite Spider-Verse crossovers being immensely popular in live action and animation, this version of the character doesn't seem to be having anything to do with it.

It...kinda has the same premise of multiple alternate universe Spider Persons? But not in a way that benefits from the Spiderverse associations at all.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Whatever gets us closer to having Spiders-Man in a live action movie, I'll support.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

One More Fat Nerd posted:

https://twitter.com/TomMCJL/status/1749892774998982801?s=20

Madame Web ad campaign continuing to put out bangers!

There's another ad out there for it that actually seems to have gotten some buzz, entirely because Dakota reads the ad in a full on ASMR voice, for reasons.

Someone should make a new comic book movies thread so I can stop punishing this poor thread with this slop.

those look like dominatrix gloves

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I hope the new one has the cop character and he gets murked IMMEDIATELY. Raiden's just like "40%, dude. 40%."

Stryker in MK1 has the funniest Fatal Blow. Just straight up using LAPD brutality on gods and monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fh88CZhRD0

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Let's be honest, once you have comics accurate costumes this ends up being a pretty fuzzy line at best.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Robot Style posted:

The film Madame Web is a different character than the more well known old blind woman version. I haven’t followed the comics in awhile but I guess they made another character a new Madame Web in the last few years and that is the version the film is going with. It also appears to be a way to introduce some other Spider-Verse adjacent characters as well.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Yeah, that might be on purpose

https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1745884216678650257?s=20

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I've been a bad consumer

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think the only other time I've seen Dakota Johnson is in Peanut Butter Falcon, but is she always this low energy or is it just her really not wanting to do/promote this movie?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’m calling it now: Mme Web’s going to be good and weird, but people will be upset at how weird it is.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

GrandpaPants posted:

I think the only other time I've seen Dakota Johnson is in Peanut Butter Falcon, but is she always this low energy or is it just her really not wanting to do/promote this movie?

She's always like this.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’m calling it now: Mme Web’s going to be good and weird, but people will be upset at how weird it is.

"Slasher villain Spider-Man vs. Nicholas Cage's character from Next" seems like it could be a weird and interesting place for a CBM to go, (At least a way that seems unlikely to end with a sky laser), but the ad campaign and overall look of the film seems so cheap and low effort.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Nobody involved really gives a poo poo, this is the exploitation of a piece of IP that Sony managed to acquire as part of their Spider-Man license. Nobody at any level of the organization has any real passion for this, and it comes through constantly. The writers didn't care, the director didn't care, marketing doesn't care. Gimme money.

The issue here is that the suits at Sony have no idea what the difference is between Venom and Madame Web and Morbius, they're all Spider-Man people. Why is Venom hitting and Morbius a joke? Could it be that Venom was a well-liked character and Tom Hardy desperately wanted to play him and the director was interested because he was a fan as a kid? Not if you're a dumbass MBA suit who never read a comic book in your life!

edit: spelling

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 24, 2024

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It would be so loving easy to just make a generic heist movie, cast a hot actress, give her a white wig, and call the movie Black Cat: Origins or some poo poo. Like $20mil in production would probably make them at least $100 mil.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nobody involved really gives a poo poo, this is the exploitation of a piece of IP that Sony managed to acquire as part of their Spider-Man license. Nobody at any level of the organization has any real passion for this, and it comes through constantly. The writers didn't care, the director didn't care, marketing doesn't care. Gimme money.

The issue here is that the suits at Sony have no idea what the difference is between Venom and Madame Web and Morbius, they're all Spider-Man people. Why is Venom hitting and Morbius a joke? Could it be that Venom was a well-liked character and Tom Hardy desperately wanted to play him and the director was interested because he was a fan as a kid? Not if you're a dumbass MBA suit who never read a comic book in your life!

That’s getting the causality backwards; Venom evinces ‘true soul and passion for the comics’ because it made money and you liked it.

If it hadn’t made money, then it wouldn’t be passionate.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I don't know what you're all talking about. Madame Web is going to be the second movie ever to make a morb-illion dollars.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That’s getting the causality backwards; Venom evinces ‘true soul and passion for the comics’ because it made money and you liked it.

If it hadn’t made money, then it wouldn’t be passionate.

Let's revisit this after Madame Web opens and then goes to streaming three weeks later, because I see your point and I'm not going to argue a movie I've seen vs. a movie that isn't out yet.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dakota Johnson is good and I actually like that the movie really does look like trashy 2003 action schlock

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

She's got a certain vibe. I do recommend the very short-lived sitcom Ben and Kate she was in, but I don't know if that's streaming anywhere. Also the Suspiria remake was good.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Johnson gives the same performance in all of her movies as the one she gave in her Architectural Digest video.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

8one6 posted:

It would be so loving easy to just make a generic heist movie, cast a hot actress, give her a white wig, and call the movie Black Cat: Origins or some poo poo. Like $20mil in production would probably make them at least $100 mil.

she would get then white hair just before stealing part of the sky laser, due to newfound understanding of her self and her found family

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

8one6 posted:

Sony actually had a script written for a Black Cat/Silver Sable movie but it never got past that point

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Netflix has dumped the film The Mothership which was in post-production. It starred Halle Berry and was about a woman whose husband disappeared and then her and her kids find a spaceship on their property years later. It looks like they finished filming in 2021 but was never completed due to unspecified delays

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/netflix-cancels-halle-berry-film-mothership-1235886861/

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is this a Film Industry Finances thing or is it just possible they filmed an unworkable dud?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GrandpaPants posted:

She does not give two shakes of a lamb's tail and we like it that way.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I question the marketing campaign which has Johnson wearing domme gloves and then telling the viewer to see her movie twice in a firm tone.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Professor Shark posted:

Is this a Film Industry Finances thing or is it just possible they filmed an unworkable dud?

Considering they finished filming in 2021. It sounds more like an unworkable dud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol that this is one of the only other things I know about Dakota Johnson

quote:

Did Dakota Johnson Lock Customers Inside of a Blue Bottle Coffee in 2016? An Investigation.

https://www.vulture.com/2022/01/dakota-johnson-blue-bottle-tweet-investigation.html