Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/HuffPostPol/status/1750203321640431700

Might give this a watch just to feel some nostalgia for that 2000s run, but I doubt it'll be a return to the glory days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzyduckbutt
Mar 3, 2016
Idk I feel like if none of them got nominated people might be less upset? But having Ryan Gosling get one despite not deserving it (for that movie) makes it feel more like a snub? But then America Ferrera got one so that doesn't make sense either?

I do not care

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

PostNouveau posted:

Barbie people bitching about Oscars is the dumbest poo poo. No performance in that movie was particularly challenging or interesting; it's a joke any of the actors got noms at all.

ehh give the Kens a collective Oscar for the dance-beach-fight

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

A surprising snub is Oppenheimer for special effects. They did some awesome in-camera poo poo.

they spray painted a glass sphere and shook some chocolate powder in front of it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they spray painted a glass sphere and shook some chocolate powder in front of it

Yeah and it looked great. There's other stuff they did with physical effects too. I'd have rather seen that get some recognition instead of GOTG3. That movie has better effects than some of the recent marvel stuff but it's not leaps and bounds better.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I wanted an actual explosion Nolan not chocolate and paint :argh:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That's a million times more artistry and thought than just handing it off to an airplane hanger full of underpaid VX workers.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

Oppenheimer ceded that category so that Godzilla could take it, imo.

Oppenzilla is the better double feature.

And would of been better in real life as well. What I'm saying is Manhattan Project should of directly just tried to make Godzilla's rather than nuclear weapons. Why be one step removed from greatness?

Also would of made the Cold war a lot more interesting.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PostNouveau posted:

That's a million times more artistry and thought than just handing it off to an airplane hanger full of underpaid VX workers.

I mean, they also did that as well. Oppenheimer was filled to the brim with CG, but they did a few shots without it and crowed about those until the cows came home.

The whole "no cg" thing is marketing bullshit pretty much every time a major studio movie says it. Canadian Colin made this point with another big 2023 auteur movie:

https://x.com/Sgtzima/status/1745986662935449760?s=20

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Did a better picture of what happened with that The Thing prequel scrapping all of its physical FX for digital ever come out? Was it literally "durrrrr I'm a C-Suite guy and audiences won't accept non-digital effects; everyone's doing it!" or was it actually a cost thing or something like that

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm still pissed that Mad Max: Fury Road didn't win Best Picture and Best Director.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

If the only Oscar Barbie gets is for the male co-star, that's going to be pretty funny.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
if i was ryan gosling i would just say no thank you and stay seated

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
:siren: CONTENT!! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiushicWSrA

Today we learn about Noonbory and the Super Seven, its a fun time for all! ^_^

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

dr_rat posted:

And would of been better in real life as well. What I'm saying is Manhattan Project should of directly just tried to make Godzilla's rather than nuclear weapons. Why be one step removed from greatness?

Somebody actually wrote a novel about this a while ago!

James Morrow, Shambling Towards Hiroshima posted:

The top secret Knickerbocker Project is putting the finishing touches on the ultimate biological weapon: a breed of gigantic, fire-breathing, mutant iguanas engineered to stomp and burn cities on the Japanese mainland. The Navy calls upon Thorley to don a rubber suit and become the merciless Gorgantis and to star in a live drama that simulates the destruction of a miniature Japanese metropolis. If the demonstration succeeds, the Japanese will surrender, and many thousands of lives will be spared; if it fails, the horrible mutant lizards will be unleashed. One thing is certain: Syms Thorley must now give the most terrifyingly convincing performance of his life.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/HuffPostPol/status/1750203321640431700

Might give this a watch just to feel some nostalgia for that 2000s run, but I doubt it'll be a return to the glory days

I won't, me and my politics have evolved far beyond the tepid moderate whinging that the daily show always was and won't be allowed to unshackle from

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

First of May posted:

If the only Oscar Barbie gets is for the male co-star, that's going to be pretty funny.

It's best chance is for original song, which was still all written and performed by men. So yeah, it could really happen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kalel posted:

I won't, me and my politics have evolved far beyond the tepid moderate whinging that the daily show always was and won't be allowed to unshackle from
You and me both :hfive:

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

Did a better picture of what happened with that The Thing prequel scrapping all of its physical FX for digital ever come out? Was it literally "durrrrr I'm a C-Suite guy and audiences won't accept non-digital effects; everyone's doing it!" or was it actually a cost thing or something like that

Re watched The Thing a couple days ago, still one of the few perfect movies

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

kalel posted:

yeah, for all I know his have too (but I doubt it!)

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Has Tim Burton ever been confronted about how bad and ugly his films have been since the 90s? Does he still think he's making quality work?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

Sort of. I think the reasoning was that while the practical models looked good, they only worked from one specific angle and the whole set had to be custom built to accommodate them. So if they wanted more scenes then they had to make unique models and sets for each shot, all of which takes a lot of time and planning and gets expensive fast.

By comparison the CGI didn't look as good, but allowed for much more flexibility while filming and overall was just faster to do, and in the end time = money.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

hasn't McGregor been accused of sexual assault several times even before they would have started filming this? I doubt they bothered editing him out at all

i skipped the previous post and i thought you were talking about Ian McGregor :ohdear:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Space Kablooey posted:

i skipped the previous post and i thought you were talking about Ian McGregor :ohdear:

Who is Ian McGregor?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ewan mcgregor sorry. didnt remember how it was spelled

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, they also did that as well. Oppenheimer was filled to the brim with CG, but they did a few shots without it and crowed about those until the cows came home.

The whole "no cg" thing is marketing bullshit pretty much every time a major studio movie says it. Canadian Colin made this point with another big 2023 auteur movie:

https://x.com/Sgtzima/status/1745986662935449760?s=20

Yeah they did the same with Top Gun: Maverick

https://twitter.com/bilawalsidhu/status/1741195677265547557

Although Nolan has a reputation for never ever doing it, to the point that Dunkirk looked loving stupid with a beach of like 25 guys when it was supposed to be thousands.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Ewan McKellen?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dr_rat posted:

would of

should of

:whitewater:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Those are acceptable American spellings.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LanceHunter posted:

The Alamo Drafthouse is almost entirely devoid of the little annoyances you get at other theaters. For example, they don't play ads the whole time from when the auditorium opens until the movie starts (instead they have little customer-made pre-shows playing various things that are specifically relevant to whatever movie you're going to see).

Their no talking/texting policy is famously strict, but the real secret sauce that makes the movie-going experience at the drafthouse better than any other theater chain: They don't let in unsupervised minors. It doesn't matter if the movie is rated G, no one under 18 is gonna get in unless they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. That means if you are seeing a movie at a drafthouse, you are guaranteed to not have a group of high schoolers in the theater. And since groups of high schoolers tend to account for 90% of all annoying bullshit behavior by patrons at movie theaters, you just don't get that at the drafthouse.

That said, the drafthouse is clearing hedging their bets like crazy this year. They always did repertory showings of classic and/or important movies, but typically those were pretty limited or were part of some special program. Now they're building a lot more repertory showings into their main schedule. They realize that there's going to be a major content drought because of last year's strikes, so they're doing something called Alamo Time Capsule to try and convince folks to keep going there even when there are no worthwhile new releases (because hey, wouldn't it be cool to finally see The Talented Mr. Ripley on the big screen!)

Mr. Ripley/Saltburn double feature

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

dr_rat posted:

i think the recent/current American Godzilla movies state that nukes were first developed as an attempt to fight Godzilla. Kind of a weird take but I guess a fun idea.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Light Gun Man posted:

i think the recent/current American Godzilla movies state that nukes were first developed as an attempt to fight Godzilla. Kind of a weird take but I guess a fun idea.

Don't the nukes charge him up tho or did they just find out after in a whoopsie

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

lol america will take every opportunity it can to whitewash Hiroshima/Nagasaki

like literally the entire core metaphor behind why Godzilla even exists as a property is the bombing of Japan

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

trilobite terror posted:

lol america will take every opportunity it can to whitewash Hiroshima/Nagasaki

like literally the entire core metaphor behind why Godzilla even exists as a property is the bombing of Japan

lol yeah it's kind of hosed up in franchise context.

priznat posted:

Don't the nukes charge him up tho or did they just find out after in a whoopsie

I forget!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

lobsterminator posted:

Has Tim Burton ever been confronted about how bad and ugly his films have been since the 90s? Does he still think he's making quality work?
I've seen just a few interviews with him over the course of the last decade or so, and, he definitely does too much cocaine to give a poo poo either way

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

lobsterminator posted:

Those are acceptable American spellings.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Vakal posted:

Sort of. I think the reasoning was that while the practical models looked good, they only worked from one specific angle and the whole set had to be custom built to accommodate them. So if they wanted more scenes then they had to make unique models and sets for each shot, all of which takes a lot of time and planning and gets expensive fast.

By comparison the CGI didn't look as good, but allowed for much more flexibility while filming and overall was just faster to do, and in the end time = money.
got to save money to not make money

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Disney’s gonna remake Grave of the Fireflies and put a third main character in it: a friendly American GI who helps the kids out

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Vakal posted:

Meanwhile rob bottin and carpenter figured that poo poo out 40 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kalel posted:

Lmao