Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
'choose' instead of 'target' has been around a very long time and isn't a sign of them overturning hexproof and other protections entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

'choose' instead of 'target' has been around a very long time and isn't a sign of them overturning hexproof and other protections entirely

Ya. But the card doesn’t say choose either, that’s the confusing part.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

This thing feels like it should be good somewhere.

Mycotyrant in Commander?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

LifeLynx posted:

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/740345824670842880/hey-mark-my-magic-group-just-saw-krenkos

The targeting without targeting but using the same "up to one" wording they normally use for targeting seems like a bad precedent.

I disagree. I feel like the main issue that its missing "choose" but does it really matter that much? This doesn't feel like we are really exploring new territory here. What important is the card doesn't say "target" and that is what hexproof would care about.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

This thing feels like it should be good somewhere.

People have been talking about this one alot and it seems oddly powerful. It doesn't feel right at uncommon and almost feels like a mistake that got shipped without someone paying attention. I guess layoffs will do that.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I guess at least tokens have summoning sickness so Treasure Cruise doesn't just become "draw three cards add 7 mana"

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

It would only triggers once for a treasure cruise.
I think it needs a cheap,repeatable collect evidence source to pair with it and steady stream of creature cards in the bin to really break it open in limited.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So first you have collect evidence in standard,
In pioneer you have cat oven
In modern you have any undying effect, Opal Chase, Gravecrawler, or bloodghast and many others

Not to mention it just triggers on incidental gy hate like the ETB on sanctifier or RIP. The activations of relic or herse. Soul Cauldron.

E: I've been told dredge but those lists seem too tight to me

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Not every powerful card needs to be a rare, it's fine for a powerful card to be uncommon if it's not completely destroying the limited environment at that rarity.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I really like this card. Its really funny in rakdos goblins. It also lines up with new cards like krenko. Gleeful demolition as well.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Sickening posted:

I really like this card. Its really funny in rakdos goblins. It also lines up with new cards like krenko. Gleeful demolition as well.

I feel like this is a useful card for limited in the right setting. Normally the Deathtouch combat trick isn't worth the slot, but the face we get both Deathtouch, Lifelink, AND an artifact you can sac to draw a card later for one black mana seems like keeping 1-2 copies in a deck isn't the worst idea.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bladebrand is usually playable, 1 mana bladebrand is definitely playable

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Silhouette posted:

Bladebrand is usually playable, 1 mana bladebrand is definitely playable

1+2 mana bladebrand

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

MrL_JaKiri posted:

1+2 mana bladebrand

Adding lifelink is more than flavor text.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://x.com/matt_grenier/status/1750229931924042008?s=20

Now that's a funny rear end multiplayer card

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
it's going in my twelfth doctor deck

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Eej posted:

https://x.com/matt_grenier/status/1750229931924042008?s=20

Now that's a funny rear end multiplayer card

I absolutely love this card

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Its hard to cast but yeah, seems pretty good.

Instant pioneer staple. Probably one of the best cards in standard. Modern , probably pretty okay. Nuts.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 24, 2024

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Prisoners dilemma is cool but the only option to choose is snitch since you either take 0 or 8 vs silence where you either take 4 or 12.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sickening posted:

Instant pioneer staple. Probably one of the best cards in standard. Modern , probably pretty okay. Nuts.

i do not like the looks of this card. seems like it could get up to something

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Someone post Columbo

He has flash and gives you flash during the end step.
The flavor text is "just one more thing" it's Columbo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Seems like a worse Mizzix as far as Historic goes.

But Mizzix is so good it's banned in Modern and Pioneer, so there's a lot of scope for "worse Mizzix" to still have a deck built around it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jabor posted:

Seems like a worse Mizzix as far as Historic goes.

But Mizzix is so good it's banned in Modern and Pioneer, so there's a lot of scope for "worse Mizzix" to still have a deck built around it.

What

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Seems fun, let's you recrack fetches and reuse Ghost Quarter type lands too.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Ok ya so in a 4 player game if you choose silent you take 10 damage on average and if you choose snitch you take uhhhh 2 damage on average

Re prisoners dilemma

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ilmucche posted:

i do not like the looks of this card. seems like it could get up to something

It made me buy retro watery graves for higher than I wanted.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sickening posted:

I'm not sure what you'd play this with in standard - Tortoise would like to, but you have to high roll to hit Etali or w/e. Colours are rough for raffine. I guess a heavy blue deck can side it in against Big Score decks but I doubt they're happy playing into open blue mana anyway.

Works nicely with removal though once you have the mana so is pretty flexible. I'm sure it's going to be busted once someone works out the right deck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

uggy posted:

Ok ya so in a 4 player game if you choose silent you take 10 damage on average and if you choose snitch you take uhhhh 2 damage on average

Re prisoners dilemma

Is this assuming your opponents pick randomly? Because the whole point of this card (and the actual prisoner's dilemma thought experiment) is that your opponents are also trying to get the best outcome for themselves.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

distortion park posted:

I'm not sure what you'd play this with in standard - Tortoise would like to, but you have to high roll to hit Etali or w/e. Colours are rough for raffine. I guess a heavy blue deck can side it in against Big Score decks but I doubt they're happy playing into open blue mana anyway.

Works nicely with removal though once you have the mana so is pretty flexible. I'm sure it's going to be busted once someone works out the right deck.

You can just discard stuff like portal to phyrexia to Rona or another looter.
I think you can do the original eldrazi in response to the shuffle trigger.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

An instant speed reanimate that lets you cast your creature is pretty interesting, so long as you have a way to get it in the yard at instant speed as well. Reanimating an eldrazi and untapping with all your land on your turn would be sweet

Pretty hard to get that much mana fast though. Clearly it's mono blue Tron 's time to shine

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
How does Prisoners dilemma work in 2hg?
*Is this a commander deck card?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Jabor posted:

Is this assuming your opponents pick randomly? Because the whole point of this card (and the actual prisoner's dilemma thought experiment) is that your opponents are also trying to get the best outcome for themselves.

Not random, just looking at the outcomes that are possible based on you choosing either snitch or silent.

If you choose snitch in a 4 player game, the other two opponents can choose either:

snitch/snitch
silent/snitch
snitch/silent
silent/silent

leading to you taking

If you choose silent in a 4 player game, the other two opponents can choose either:

snitch/snitch
silent/snitch
snitch/silent
silent/silent

leading you to taking

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

logis posted:

How does Prisoners dilemma work in 2hg?

If your opponents don't both choose silence, you might need to send them to couples therapy.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

uggy posted:

Not random, just looking at the outcomes that are possible based on you choosing either snitch or silent.

If you choose snitch in a 4 player game, the other two opponents can choose either:

snitch/snitch
silent/snitch
snitch/silent
silent/silent

leading to you taking

If you choose silent in a 4 player game, the other two opponents can choose either:

snitch/snitch
silent/snitch
snitch/silent
silent/silent

leading you to taking

You can't really say "always choose X" because if everyone took that advice it would change the outcomes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

An instant speed reanimate that lets you cast your creature is pretty interesting, so long as you have a way to get it in the yard at instant speed as well. Reanimating an eldrazi and untapping with all your land on your turn would be sweet

Pretty hard to get that much mana fast though. Clearly it's mono blue Tron 's time to shine

You can mill it, discard it, evoke it, sac it, etc. It only gives a poo poo if its a land and it happened this turn. Even your opponents graveyard at instant speed? Not limited to a creature? And you get a cast trigger? It being a copy means the original stays for other reanimate spells.

Card is flexible as hell.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Seems fun, let's you recrack fetches and reuse Ghost Quarter type lands too.

3 mana wrenn and tortoise are some of my favourite cards in standard, there has to be some sort of janky manlands deck waiting to be brewed

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

generatrix posted:

You can't really say "always choose X" because if everyone took that advice it would change the outcomes.

Right, with the Prisoner's Dilemma there is always an objectively right choice, the dilemma part comes from can you trust the other players to make it as well. Then it has flashback to compound the drama from the first cast.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Sickening posted:

It being a copy means the original stays for other reanimate spells.
Nope it exiles it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

snyprmag posted:

Nope it exiles it

Boo. I will pivot that its graveyard hate. Jerry it can do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Sickening posted:

Boo. I will pivot that its graveyard hate. Jerry it can do anything.

If it proves itself enough that there are mirror matches it will be interesting tension.