Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If anyone wants an Arc Browser Windows beta invite, I have 3. No idea what the state of the Windows version is currently...I assume it's missing a ton of features still.

e: no more invites

Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Splinter posted:

If anyone wants an Arc Browser Windows beta invite, I have 3. No idea what the state of the Windows version is currently...I assume it's missing a ton of features still.

I had to look this up and I'm left asking 'what the hell is the point'? Their pitch seems to be, 'yet another chromium browser with notepad and mspaint built in...also you need a bespoke account to use it'. Who is this for and who gives a poo poo?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I had to look this up and I'm left asking 'what the hell is the point'? Their pitch seems to be, 'yet another chromium browser with notepad and mspaint built in...also you need a bespoke account to use it'. Who is this for and who gives a poo poo?

The note/easel/AI stuff is whatever, I don't really use that. It's more about using a single browser window for everything with a similar approach to an IDE. Your Ctrl+T is more of a command bar like you'd get in something like VS code where you can do a bunch of stuff in addition to loading a new URL/search without immediately seeing a new tab (e.g. run a ChatGPT query). It also handles split screening within a single browser window much like an IDE and maximizes vertical space via packing everything in the sidebar (which is easily shown/hidden) rather than on top of the webpage.

The biggest thing for me is how it essentially combines the concept of tabs and bookmarks into a single thing. This, combined with Spaces (which can use different browser profiles) has really clicked with me for keeping my browsing organized. However, I'm one of those tab monsters that often has 150+ tabs open across 5+ windows.

Definitely not for everyone, especially at this stage where it's not even released on all platforms, and on Windows I'm not sure all the things I mentioned even exist yet. You're not wrong that it's just a bunch of minor differences, some of which are available via extensions on existing browser, but all together it's something that does feel different than other browsers that some people seem to take to. Not sure I'd even recommend jumping into the Windows beta at this stage, but I've seen some people extremely desperate for an invite so I thought I'd offer mine up here.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Splinter posted:

handles split screening within a single browser window much like an IDE and maximizes vertical space via packing everything in the sidebar

Got to admit this is pretty cool and is something I would like in other browsers.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Hey there, I just wanted to give credit to the folks to who suggested that maybe my computer crashing because of having two monitors plugged in was a graphics card error, or a ground fault/power supply issue. Nailed it on the head.

I can't really solve the graphics card issue nor the power supply because I have a mini PC, and those are problems that mostly customer service can only fix. :sweatdrop: I did however try to make sure that the power strip that I have things plugged into was better, and that all connections were well secured.

It no longer crashes!

It sometimes has weird effects with my screensaver...

https://i.imgur.com/nW7x0Qp.mp4

But it doesn't crash anymore at least, so hey all gucci. Thanks! :)

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

god please help me posted:

Hey there, I just wanted to give credit to the folks to who suggested that maybe my computer crashing because of having two monitors plugged in was a graphics card error, or a ground fault/power supply issue. Nailed it on the head.

I can't really solve the graphics card issue nor the power supply because I have a mini PC, and those are problems that mostly customer service can only fix. :sweatdrop: I did however try to make sure that the power strip that I have things plugged into was better, and that all connections were well secured.

It no longer crashes!

It sometimes has weird effects with my screensaver...

https://i.imgur.com/nW7x0Qp.mp4

But it doesn't crash anymore at least, so hey all gucci. Thanks! :)

Intel integrated graphics for this device? Seen that random _ flashing issue a few times. Usually updating the latest intel driver on the Intel website fixes it.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
In Thunderbird (email) there is a menu above your email addresses on the left where you can further specify if you'd like to see the total number of mails or how much space they use. You can also make that menu disappear. How the heck do you get it back once it is gone? Thank you!!!!

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

I Miss Snausages posted:

Intel integrated graphics for this device? Seen that random _ flashing issue a few times. Usually updating the latest intel driver on the Intel website fixes it.

Nah, it's a AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS processor. I thought I had updated it to the latest version already, but I can go ahead and check out if there's any new update of the driver on the website.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I personally use Spark for email in Windows (non-work purposes), and it's actually pretty great. Replaced Mail.app for me on my iPhone too!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

In Thunderbird (email) there is a menu above your email addresses on the left where you can further specify if you'd like to see the total number of mails or how much space they use. You can also make that menu disappear. How the heck do you get it back once it is gone? Thank you!!!!

View -> Layout -> Message List Header?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

jokes posted:

I personally use Spark for email in Windows (non-work purposes), and it's actually pretty great. Replaced Mail.app for me on my iPhone too!

This is one that looks interesting but that I haven't tried -- do you pay for premium, or use the free version?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I could use some windows update advice.

Running W10 Pro (which was an update from I think 8 a couple years back) on my primary desktop (9900k-Z390).

Windows runs really well with no issues BUT I noticed I had a failed update KB5034441 which gives error: 0x80070643

Ran the troubleshooter, didn't help but then did some searching. Seems to be related to WinRE (I think recovery?) partition size with MS recommended instructions to fix. I recently (a month or two ago) installed a new 4GB SSD, and to do so imaged my old drive and transferred all over via Diskgenius. I imaged everything and it seemed to work flawlessly.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...a9-24c8229763bf

quote:

Summary

Microsoft has changed how it updates PCs that run the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). WinRE will be updated using the monthly cumulative update. This change only applies to PCs that get updates from Windows Update (WU) and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). This change starts on June 27, 2023, for the Windows 11, version 22H2 cumulative update.

Some PCs might not have a recovery partition that is large enough to complete this update. Because of this, the update for WinRE might fail. You will receive the error message, "Windows Recovery Environment servicing failed.” To help you recover from this failure, this article provides instructions to manually resize your recovery partition if you get a system ErrorPhase of 2. This requires your device to have the recovery partition after the OS partition. Use the steps below to verify this.
Manually resize your partition by 250 MB

Open a Command Prompt window (cmd) as admin.

To check the WinRE status, run reagentc /info. If the WinRE is installed, there should be a “Windows RE location” with a path to the WinRE directory. An example is, “Windows RE location: [file://%3f/GLOBALROOT/device/harddisk0/partition4/Recovery/WindowsRE]\\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE.” Here, the number after “harddisk” and “partition” is the index of the disk and partition WinRE is on.

To disable the WinRE, run reagentc /disable

Shrink the OS partition and prepare the disk for a new recovery partition.

To shrink the OS, run diskpart

Run list disk

To select the OS disk, run sel disk<OS disk index> This should be the same disk index as WinRE.

To check the partition under the OS disk and find the OS partition, run list part

To select the OS partition, run sel part<OS partition index>

Run shrink desired=250 minimum=250

To select the WinRE partition, run sel part<WinRE partition index>

To delete the WinRE partition, run delete partition override

Create a new recovery partition.

First, check if the disk partition style is a GUID Partition Table (GPT) or a Master Boot Record (MBR). To do that, run list disk. Check if there is an asterisk character (*) in the “Gpt” column. If there is an asterisk character (*), then the drive is GPT. Otherwise, the drive is MBR.

If your disk is GPT, run create partition primary id=de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac followed by the command gpt attributes =0x8000000000000001

If your disk is MBR, run create partition primary id=27

To format the partition, run format quick fs=ntfs label=”Windows RE tools”

To confirm that the WinRE partition is created, run list vol

To exit from diskpart, run exit

To re-enable WinRE, run reagentc /enable

To confirm where WinRE is installed, run reagentc /info

Note If creation failed or you do not want to extend the WinRE partition, run reagentc /enable to re-enable WinRE.

So here is where I have a question.
When I get to the instruction:

quote:

To select the OS partition, run sel part<OS partition index>

Run shrink desired=250 minimum=250

This is what I show in my cmd window:
code:
DISKPART> list part

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Recovery           529 MB  1024 KB
  Partition 2    System              99 MB   530 MB
  Partition 3    Reserved            16 MB   629 MB
  Partition 4    Primary           3725 GB   645 MB

DISKPART>
Is my OS partition the "System" partition? - IE: Part 2?
So the command is going to force it to 250MB?

I see my recovery is already >250MB (529MB) so is this even the issue?

I can follow step by step instructions for the command prompt well enough, but I'm just a little uneasy playing with partition sizes if that's not even the issue.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 26, 2024

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Does Crystal Disk Mark or anything else have the ability to test drive transfer speeds with, say, 10,000 or so tiny files? Trying to sus out a bottleneck on a client's machine when he's transferring a giant Unreal file (which has tens of thousands of teeny tiny files across a multitude of folders) from an internal nvme to an external SSD

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

slidebite posted:

I can follow step by step instructions for the command prompt well enough, but I'm just a little uneasy playing with partition sizes if that's not even the issue.
I would consider the OS partition the partition containing the OS. There is only one partition large enough for that, ie the biggest one (4).

Reading a bit about it, the requirement is for the recovery partition to have 250MB of free space, which we can't deduce from just its current total size.

I have trouble understanding what each of those instructions do though. Microsoft has announced it will come out with a fix, I'd just wait for that. The specific update doesn't seem to be offered on my Windows 10 machine that has been powered off since the end of december and it only offers a fix for a vulnerability that needs physical access to the machine. In my circumstances that doesn't seem urgent enough to start freewheeling through diskpart.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I found out today that default OneDrive behavior includes OD autosaving/syncing open Excel files and overwriting the original file.

No additional commentary needed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Quixzlizx posted:

I found out today that default OneDrive behavior includes OD autosaving/syncing open Excel files and overwriting the original file.

No additional commentary needed.

It's always been like that though? Just click off auto saving for the docs you don't want it saving

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

nocal posted:

This is one that looks interesting but that I haven't tried -- do you pay for premium, or use the free version?

Free it’s fine no problem

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have trouble understanding what each of those instructions do though. Microsoft has announced it will come out with a fix, I'd just wait for that. The specific update doesn't seem to be offered on my Windows 10 machine that has been powered off since the end of december and it only offers a fix for a vulnerability that needs physical access to the machine. In my circumstances that doesn't seem urgent enough to start freewheeling through diskpart.

I think I'm going to do that. Thanks.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Medullah posted:

It's always been like that though? Just click off auto saving for the docs you don't want it saving

I'd rather just not use OneDrive than have to change a setting for every Excel file I create and hope I don't forget once and get hosed over.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BonoMan posted:

Does Crystal Disk Mark or anything else have the ability to test drive transfer speeds with, say, 10,000 or so tiny files? Trying to sus out a bottleneck on a client's machine when he's transferring a giant Unreal file (which has tens of thousands of teeny tiny files across a multitude of folders) from an internal nvme to an external SSD

I would just do the standard crystaldisk tests so you can compare it to reviews of those drives, and see if one of them is slower than normal. Simulating the particular workload only has value if you were comparing drives against each other.

But also, have you (temporarily) disabled Defender's real-time virus scan while doing this copy? This is frequently the reason for slowdown for that type of transfer -- Defender is gonna check everything during the copy and force waits if it falls behind. SSDs are now too fact for a CPU to keep up.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

was there an update to game bar that caused it to ignore all settings that disable it? Today out of nowhere it started coming up when I press the guide button on my controller. I had previously disabled this setting as I use the guide button for program specific overlays like retroarch. I've toggled these settings on and off and it still comes up:

I went to the add/remove system components menu and I cannot remove game bar. I tried both the repair and reset options and it still has this issue. It's made part of my system unusable and I'd really like it if I could get it to stop. Is there a third, hidden setting somewhere?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Quixzlizx posted:

I'd rather just not use OneDrive than have to change a setting for every Excel file I create and hope I don't forget once and get hosed over.

You’re opening a file stored in OneDrive, so changes will be saved to the file in OneDrive. If you want to make changes locally, make a local copy and edit that. The whole point of office files in OneDrive is that they’re always up to date on any device, including editing in the web, and they need to be able to be edited collaboratively, so they have to save continuously to do that.
You should be able to revert your edits and go back to the original version though.

3des these nuts
Nov 10, 2023

HKR posted:

was there an update to game bar that caused it to ignore all settings that disable it? Today out of nowhere it started coming up when I press the guide button on my controller. I had previously disabled this setting as I use the guide button for program specific overlays like retroarch. I've toggled these settings on and off and it still comes up:

I went to the add/remove system components menu and I cannot remove game bar. I tried both the repair and reset options and it still has this issue. It's made part of my system unusable and I'd really like it if I could get it to stop. Is there a third, hidden setting somewhere?

Not a "hidden setting", but you can remove it entirely by opening Command Prompt as admin and punching in:
code:
winget uninstall "Game Bar"
then:
code:
winget uninstall "Xbox Game Bar Plugin"

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Quixzlizx posted:

The obvious solution to this is to save the files as new documents - since functionally they are different excel files which should not be confused with one another.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 27, 2024

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Klyith posted:

I would just do the standard crystaldisk tests so you can compare it to reviews of those drives, and see if one of them is slower than normal. Simulating the particular workload only has value if you were comparing drives against each other.

But also, have you (temporarily) disabled Defender's real-time virus scan while doing this copy? This is frequently the reason for slowdown for that type of transfer -- Defender is gonna check everything during the copy and force waits if it falls behind. SSDs are now too fact for a CPU to keep up.

I'll try that thanks

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

slidebite posted:

No, your OS partition is the "primary" one (part 4) since it's the largest. This process cuts that partition down by 250 MB, so that when you delete and re-create the recovery one (part 1), it takes up the remainder of the space on the disk, and as a result, is 250 MB larger than before.

slidebite posted:

Yes, it is. The steps increase the size of the partition by 250 MB, it's not how much you need total. I had to do this myself a few weeks ago. I followed the instructions exactly and my recovery partition went from 500-something MB to 773. Only then did the update install successfully.

From what I understand, this update mostly affects BitLocker security, so if you use that, you need to get it installed ASAP.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 27, 2024

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

The obvious solution to this is to save the files as new documents - since functionally they are different excel files which should not be confused with one another.

The issue is I don't want to save them at all. I don't want any modification to any file I open to be saved over the original file without my prompting.

But I guess what I'm hearing is that OneDrive shouldn't be used as a backup solution, it's more like an outgrowth of Sharepoint. So I guess I'll need to bother my company's IT department.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

The issue is I don't want to save them at all. I don't want any modification to any file I open to be saved over the original file without my prompting.

But I guess what I'm hearing is that OneDrive shouldn't be used as a backup solution, it's more like an outgrowth of Sharepoint. So I guess I'll need to bother my company's IT department.

I live in Excel for work, OneDrive has saved my rear end more times than I care to count when something happened and my PC crashed. It's a phenomenal backup option.

I'm struggling to understand why this is such a huge problem for you. If you have an office document that you don't want to change at all, make a copy of it or use versioning. Are you afraid that OneDrive is going to delete something?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Medullah posted:

I live in Excel for work, OneDrive has saved my rear end more times than I care to count when something happened and my PC crashed. It's a phenomenal backup option.

I'm struggling to understand why this is such a huge problem for you. If you have an office document that you don't want to change at all, make a copy of it or use versioning. Are you afraid that OneDrive is going to delete something?

I honestly don't know what to tell you when you're acting like I'm insane for not wanting every modification to an open file to be immediately saved over the original copy. I don't want to have to make another copy of an Excel file every single time I have to open an existing one, then copy it back over to my OneDrive folder if I decide I want to keep any modifications I made.

I would say over 50% of the time when I'm using Excel, I'm opening some sort of template or reference document, or testing additions to a workbook/workflow, and don't want any fiddling I do in it to be saved unless I approve of the changes first.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 27, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

- Save templates as template files (XLTX)
- OneDrive versions for you, you can roll back to the version you need if you want

You can also turn off autosave completely if you want

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

I honestly don't know what to tell you when you're acting like I'm insane for not wanting every modification to an open file to be immediately saved over the original copy. I don't want to have to make another copy of an Excel file every single time I have to open an existing one, then copy it back over to my OneDrive folder if I decide I want to keep any modifications I made.

I would say over 50% of the time when I'm using Excel, I'm opening some sort of template or reference document, or testing additions to a workbook/workflow, and don't want any fiddling I do in it to be saved unless I approve of the changes first.

And that's a fair use care I suppose.

I'm just in a position where the times I'd lose work during a crash far outnumber the times I am editing a document with no intention of saving it. I use a lot of templates as well but I generally have them as read only.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Isn't that what file recovery is for? It would make most sense for Excel to save every single modification to a temporary file in OneDrive and at the end of the session it will ask if you want to save them to the original document. Like it has behaved since forever.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Saukkis posted:

Isn't that what file recovery is for? It would make most sense for Excel to save every single modification to a temporary file in OneDrive and at the end of the session it will ask if you want to save them to the original document. Like it has behaved since forever.

That's not how it's behaving on my work computer, at least. I tested it with a blank file where I typed into one cell, then exited without saving. The original file had the modification.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Quixzlizx posted:

That's not how it's behaving on my work computer, at least. I tested it with a blank file where I typed into one cell, then exited without saving. The original file had the modification.

That is as it should be, but for Medullah's concern if Excel or the computer crashes it should offer recovering the file.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
If you don't want the one amazing autosave/autoversioning of Office files don't save them to OneDrive.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Quixzlizx posted:

It honestly sounds like you want one drive to work like, idk, a git repository?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It honestly sounds like you want one drive to work like, idk, a git repository?

I just want it to work like a sync service where files don't sync/overwrite the local copy until they're manually saved by the user. Does Dropbox autosave and overwrite open, unsaved Excel files? I'm pretty sure the Windows Google Drive client doesn't.

Some posters upthread have said that the auto-saving can be turned off, so I'm going to look into that when I start working tomorrow.

It's funny that you think I want more advanced versioning functionality when I actually want less "advanced," less integrated functionality.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 29, 2024

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Which version of Excel are you using? Historically, unsaved changes were stored in a temporary file in the same folder as the original. Is your version actually modifying the original, or transparently loading that temporary file instead?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

isndl posted:

Which version of Excel are you using? Historically, unsaved changes were stored in a temporary file in the same folder as the original. Is your version actually modifying the original, or transparently loading that temporary file instead?

Office files behave differently when opened from OneDrive in a modern Office.

The option to disable it is like the first one in the Options->Save section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*I'll ask this over in Homelab, it's more about virtualization.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 30, 2024