Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

CC Sabathia "wrote" a children's book where he, CC Sabathia, saved Christmas. That has to be a line on his HoF resume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A's fever is catching on

https://twitter.com/MattOrtega/status/1750238668437250288

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Inspector_666 posted:

How the heck do you not think CC rules, he rules.

It's extremely easy, actually

1)Does he/did he play for the team I cheer for? Y/N

2)If the answer to 1 was N, did he play for the Yankees? Y/N

As you can see my vetting process is extremely thorough.

Sydin posted:

Congratulations you have exactly what it takes to be a real BBWAA voter!

See, this one gets it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

has there ever been a city less excited to get an MLB team than Las Vegas?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

bawfuls posted:

The closest I can think of is Tampa Bay lol, this is sadder

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hope his author name is “c c Sabathia”

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/yakyucosmo/status/1749982878065389852?t=_aRgGraa5g2KNUfAVuxL1g&s=19

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

HIs 5 year run from 2007 to 2011 seems like a pretty strong "one of the best pitchers in the game" run.

That is effectively my criterion and it's what I would use as my rubric if I were a BBWAA member with a HoF vote: "Was this guy one of the best players at his position for an extended period of time?"

Sabathia nails that. So does Andruw Jones.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do you think if the ballots were double-blind and mandatory secret it would improve or degrade the process? Like if the BBWs, uh, of America knew their hot rear end takes they could write a column off of were never going to be revealed they might vote more normally.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

i mean i guess it's often still kinda cold in April and occasionally in late September but like Seiya you have Lots Of Money you don't need to be here in January

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bawfuls posted:

The stadium would have to be indoors and air conditioned. No way in hell would anyone want to play in 120-degree heat.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Chicago Winters: Much Worse than Hiroshima

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Chicago winter or nuclear winter: You Decide

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It just occurred to me that Mauer is only 40

I feel like he has to be on the younger side of inductees (barring the ones who got in under special circumstances)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Mauer will be the first person younger than me to be inducted into the Hall of Fame :sigh:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
wow, that's brutal. glad I'm only one Votto plus a week old and not experiencing what you're having to deal with

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Joe Mauer and I graduated high school the same year. :psyduck:

Continuing on Vegas, I think VGK coming in and immediately being really good probably has cemented Vegas as a hockey city. I know most of them were Raiders fans from before they moved there, but the Raiders haven't been good in over 20 years. There's no reason to be excited over the A's coming to town.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The stadium would have to be indoors and air conditioned. No way in hell would anyone want to play in 120-degree heat.

Yeah, that's the thing that boggles my mind and cooks my noodle about the A's being so hellbent on moving to Las Vegas. Not only does it automatically become, I'm pretty sure, the smallest stadium in all of MLB (I believe I read that the capacity is going to be only 33,000) and on a horrendously compact and cramped parcel of land, but they're going to be playing 81 games in the middle of the loving desert. Last I recall reading, the stadium is going to have a retractable roof, and, sure, I guess they could open it up during a late October / November run (lol A's), but it seems to me that it would be cheaper and more cost-efficient to just build it with a fixed roof.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Do you think if the ballots were double-blind and mandatory secret it would improve or degrade the process? Like if the BBWs, uh, of America knew their hot rear end takes they could write a column off of were never going to be revealed they might vote more normally.
Degrade, because they've typically all been private until people started using them for columns and clicks, then eventually people started sharing them for the tracker in an effort to bring more transparency to the process. The BBWAA actually voted (by a wide margin) to make ALL ballots public but the Hall of Fame denied their request :lol:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like he has to be on the younger side of inductees (barring the ones who got in under special circumstances)
he is the youngest since Koufax, aside from untimely deaths

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 24, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Yeah, that's the thing that boggles my mind and cooks my noodle about the A's being so hellbent on moving to Las Vegas. Not only does it automatically become, I'm pretty sure, the smallest stadium in all of MLB (I believe I read that the capacity is going to be only 33,000) and on a horrendously compact and cramped parcel of land, but they're going to be playing 81 games in the middle of the loving desert. Last I recall reading, the stadium is going to have a retractable roof, and, sure, I guess they could open it up during a late October / November run (lol A's), but it seems to me that it would be cheaper and more cost-efficient to just build it with a fixed roof.

Fisher doesn't care about the future logistics of the HVAC bill, he just wants to get the A's a shiny new stadium in a superficially better spot to pump up the team valuation before he sells.

For whoever buys the team, the calculus is probably that you can charge a ton for tickets and Vegas tourists will still buy, you can upcharge a bunch on luxury boxes and other poo poo for the fancy Vegas experience crowd, and you can run way more in-house gambling/betting than other MLB teams.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I think for whoever buys the team the calculus is that owning an MLB franchise is a license to print money.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Isn't Vegas a huge transplant city too? Like you'll sell out Dodgers and Yankees games and then have an empty hot stadium the rest of the year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yes it has alot of transplants, though that can be overcome in the right circumstances as with the Golden Knights. But they were an expansion team who was immediately competitive, making the Stanley Cup finals in their first season and winning a title in their fourth. The A's... won't be that.

Then there's also the complication that by far the most popular MLB team in Las Vegas at present is the Los Angeles Dodgers, who aren't exactly giving fans a lot of reasons to jump ship these days.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The LV media market is way shittier than SF/Oakland, but it’s clear that John Fisher is mainly just moving the team out of spite

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

That's what I don't understand how does this make sense financially? I guess the value of a new stadium makes it worthwhile if you want to sell the team down the line.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

As far as I can tell it’s all about the stadium

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That's what I don't understand how does this make sense financially? I guess the value of a new stadium makes it worthwhile if you want to sell the team down the line.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The LV media market is way shittier than SF/Oakland, but it’s clear that John Fisher is mainly just moving the team out of spite

"I didn't get exactly what I wanted so I will make a worse financial decision just to show people how important and good I am and they should listen to me"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

First inductee born after 1980

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It doesn't have to make sense financially. He's a rich failson, he's mad Oakland hasn't bowed down to his demands for years so he's taking his ball and leaving. MLB is so wildly profitable that he's been able to make money during this fight and will continue making money after the move, even with Vegas giving him a shittier deal.

It's very similar to Dean Spanos and the Chargers saga in San Diego. He fought with the city for like 20 years trying to get public funding for a stadium, eventually he left for a shittier situation where he's a tenant to another owner and will probably always be the 4th most popular football team in Los Angeles. But pro sports monopolies are so wildly profitable it doesn't matter.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I imagine he may do what Jeffrey Loria did not that long after getting his taxpayer funded stadium, which is to sell the team

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
And whoever buys the team can move it somewhere better! I hear Oakland has a pretty big baseball scene.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

BaseballPCHiker posted:

In the end it seemingly came down to petty spite. Fisher was mad about a bunch of stuff in regards to both the Howard Terminal negotiations (he wanted more public money that Oakland flat out did not have) and O.co (he wanted a slice of the planned redevelopment pie the city and county were hammering out). He then did the Vegas pivot presumably to try and get leverage against Oakland but instead they just immediately told him to gently caress off in response and burned the entire bridge despite the plans being pretty far along. Then Fisher also told Oakland to gently caress off and went all in on Vegas where the Nevada legislature could have easily squeezed the poo poo out of him now that they had all the leverage but instead they tripped over themselves to hand the team a ton of public money. Fisher handled the whole thing like absolute poo poo because he's a moron failson but managed to once again trip into a big pile of money anyway because this is a country where the rich always find a way to get richer.

I mostly just feel sorry for Oakland, which is now going to see all of its major sports teams flee the city within a decade.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't think Oakland burned the bridge, they just didn't want to haul a bunch of water up a mountain to put it out once Fisher lit it.

They made an offer that met him more than halfway if I recall, then Vegas was probably originally a bluff, and when they didn't go for it, he was too prideful to even counter.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'll try to find the tweet but IIRC as soon as the A's announced the Vegas deal and were all "oh but we'll still negotiate with Oakland in good faith" the mayor's response was basically "gently caress you we're not going to be your leverage, go have fun in Vegas rear end in a top hat."

e. It sounds like they tried to lobby for MLB to not pass the relocation vote and when they did anyway because they loving suck Oakland's new strategy is now to try and retain the A's name and branding, then build a new stadium anyway and lobby for an expansion team who they'd call the A's.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2023/11/17/oakland-athletics-mlb-owners-vote-relocation-las-vegas

Sydin fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 24, 2024

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sydin posted:

I'll try to find the tweet but IIRC as soon as the A's announced the Vegas deal and were all "oh but we'll still negotiate with Oakland in good faith" the mayor's response was basically "gently caress you we're not going to be your leverage, go have fun in Vegas rear end in a top hat."

e. It sounds like they tried to lobby for MLB to not pass the relocation vote and when they did anyway because they loving suck Oakland's new strategy is now to try and retain the A's name and branding, then build a new stadium anyway and lobby for an expansion team who they'd call the A's.

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2023/11/17/oakland-athletics-mlb-owners-vote-relocation-las-vegas

Here's a hypothetical: which team wins more games, a theoretical 2024 expansion team (so, expansion draft happening right now-ish) or the 2024 Oakland Athletics?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oakland was willing to throw in around $500m for the Howard Terminal development: https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/athletics/oakland-mayors-office-says-city-was-close-to-a-deal-with-as-2894056/

I think I'm misremembering and Fisher wanted multiple times that, but it turns out that Oakland was putting up more money than Vegas actually is ($380m), so Fisher definitely just threw a tantrum over his pride rather than accepting less than he thought he "deserved."

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

more falafel please posted:

i mean i guess it's often still kinda cold in April and occasionally in late September but like Seiya you have Lots Of Money you don't need to be here in January

Also, not for nothin', but these guys have enough money that their exposure to any kind of weather should be the fifteen seconds it takes you to walk to your car and get into the climate-controlled backseat.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
It’s going to be darkly hilarious when ten years from now the Vegas A’s are drawing nobody to their shiny new ballpark and are still running out bottom-of-the-league payrolls

On the subject of young HoFers, it seems likely that Posey will be the first one younger than me to make it in

The late eighties don’t look particularly good for ballplayers honestly. Andrew McCutchen is probably the best player born the same year as me. After him, you’ve got Posey, Kershaw, Goldschmidt, Freeman as players who have a shot… and then you’re into 90s births

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bravesword posted:

The late eighties don’t look particularly good for ballplayers honestly. Andrew McCutchen is probably the best player born the same year as me. After him, you’ve got Posey, Kershaw, Goldschmidt, Freeman as players who have a shot… and then you’re into 90s births
the disrespect, dayum!

Kershaw will be first-ballot, and after Mauer's performance so will Posey. Freeman & Goldschmidt are all but a lock at this point.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Seiya rules so much