Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Coolguye posted:

i am not that worried about it because most celebrity loudmouths still haven't done the very careful image groomjob that trump took DECADES to cultivate. from the 80s to the mid 2000s at least, trump did pretty much everything in his power to build his mythos as mr. goodbusiness, mr. toughdeal, mr. greatsex, and mr. yourfavorite. it's a tough trick to even get to the second coolkid title nowadays without loving it up and fracturing the aura of invincibility, keeping it up for 20+ years is basically only a massively overprivileged obsessive narcissist's trick.

just as a for example: how's mike rowe doing on cultivating the square deal conservative everyman image nowadays? oh, not so great. he posted some ridiculously tone-deaf "bootstraps" poo poo on twitter. everyone found out that he's been doing blue-collar blackface. because he's actually from a very well off family and grew up in a period of immense opportunity. because his immediate ancestors had just finished murdering 5% of the human race, through one method or another.

no chuds are going to rally behind him now that he's been so popularly taken down multiple pegs so early. donny had decades of being Right About Everything, publicly, before people really started opposing him. rowe is already a loser. next personality.

rinse and repeat for everyone who could potentially step onto donny's toe pillows. it took decades to grow trump. the only person who's competently followed his same path, from 2000 to ~today, is elon musk - who is incapable of holding the presidency and is in the middle of making an rear end of himself in the most public way possible.

chuds will always be with us, but it will not be easy to replace their degenerate underlord.

It's really going to be wild watching what happens to the electorate once he's dead. He's so successfully turned the GOP into the Trump Party and painted everyone except for him as RINOs that once he kicks he could very well take half the Republican-aligned country with him, they'll just stop voting or they'll all commit ritual suicide to avoid being taken alive by the Biden death robots or something.

The secret to getting a New Deal style progressive government back in play: flirt with fascism but only juuuuuuuuuust enough to capture all the fascists in a giant wad of flypaper, which you then set on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Trump is gonna lose again

Duh he can't be the leader of a stochastic terrorist cell if his cult isn't COMPLETELY disillusioned.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

To the point, Donald Trump only succeeded politically because of The Apprentice. Network television, in the final days when network TV felt relevant, spent 14 years crafting the public image of Donald Trump as a rich, genius businessman that everyone wanted to impress. He succeeded because the brain-rotten swath of middle America that believes everything they see on TV said, 'GOSH DARN, THAT DONALD SURE SEEMS LIKE A BRIGHT FELLA, I'D RATHER HAVE HIM THAN SOME OLD BITCH' and decided to vote for Popular Television Man rather than Politician Woman. I cannot think of another person who has been so carefully curated and created by the media as Trump's public appearance, and I don't think it would be possible to do it again in the same way.

But rest assured, the formula will be used again. It's why we'll see a President Logan Paul or President Mr. Beast one day.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

To the point, Donald Trump only succeeded politically because of The Apprentice. Network television, in the final days when network TV felt relevant, spent 14 years crafting the public image of Donald Trump as a rich, genius businessman that everyone wanted to impress. He succeeded because the brain-rotten swath of middle America that believes everything they see on TV said, 'GOSH DARN, THAT DONALD SURE SEEMS LIKE A BRIGHT FELLA, I'D RATHER HAVE HIM THAN SOME OLD BITCH' and decided to vote for Popular Television Man rather than Politician Woman. I cannot think of another person who has been so carefully curated and created by the media as Trump's public appearance, and I don't think it would be possible to do it again in the same way.

But rest assured, the formula will be used again. It's why we'll see a President Logan Paul or President Mr. Beast one day.

Sir, this is a pokemon training center

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Sir, this is a pokemon training center

And now that we've locked eyes, we're compelled to battle. Balls out, rear end in a top hat!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Again I keep harping on it but all these polls that show Trump up, I'm not dismissing them completely out of hand because that would be arrogant.

But at the same time I really don't believe them at all when Joe Biden outright wins a loving write in campaign and dems utter dominance just a month and change ago in national elections.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I will point out (tiredly) that he had presidential aspirations long before The Apprentice, and was broadly known as $$$The Richest Person Ever$$$ to anyone who saw a tabloid in the checkout lane. He could always have captured the pie-slice of America that equates "riches" with "economy good" with "I will not be fired from my job". True that The Apprentice made him a meme and got him the momentum he never had on the Reform Party ticket, but I think he could have made a bigger splash in 2000 if he'd really wanted to (and if the preceding 8 years were presided over by a black man).

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I've never seen a single episode of the Apprentice

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

When Trump dies the conspiracies are going to be so wild. His final moments could be televised as he shits himself to death in the hospital at the age of 99, his final words being “I died of natural causes” and half the republicans party will still either refuse to believe he’s dead or claim the democrats killed him.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

I will point out (tiredly) that he had presidential aspirations long before The Apprentice, and was broadly known as $$$The Richest Person Ever$$$ to anyone who saw a tabloid in the checkout lane. He could always have captured the pie-slice of America that equates "riches" with "economy good" with "I will not be fired from my job". True that The Apprentice made him a meme and got him the momentum he never had on the Reform Party ticket, but I think he could have made a bigger splash in 2000 if he'd really wanted to (and if the preceding 8 years were presided over by a black man).

I think another big difference between 2000 and 2016 is that Trump couldn't have taken over the Republican party in 2000 - the establishment wing was still firmly in control back then. It took decades of extreme right-wing media corroding the party to make it ripe for a Trump takeover.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Trump is sui generis.

He is loud, whiny, obnoxious, and extremely petty. He is what a stupid person thinks a rich man looks like. He holds no actual positions aside from bigotry, and his promises are at once sweepingly majestic and just vague enough to mean everything to everyone.

Once he croaks, the GOP won't ever be able to get anyone elected using the same formula, because it only works for him. Numerous politicians have positioned themselves as "the next Trump" or "Trump lite" or "Trump, but on a state/local level" and wound up getting solidly trounced.

The cultists only want TRUMP.

The GOP isn't dead yet, but when Trump finally snuffs it, the GOP as we know it will be dead right along with him. He's going to take the GOP with him to his grave, like the pharaohs of old.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

fat bossy gerbil posted:

When Trump dies the conspiracies are going to be so wild. His final moments could be televised as he shits himself to death in the hospital at the age of 99, his final words being “I died of natural causes” and half the republicans party will still either refuse to believe he’s dead or claim the democrats killed him.

one thing is assured, his autopsy report will not say "the anus is unremarkable"

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

DaveWoo posted:

I think another big difference between 2000 and 2016 is that Trump couldn't have taken over the Republican party in 2000 - the establishment wing was still firmly in control back then. It took decades of extreme right-wing media corroding the party to make it ripe for a Trump takeover.

Also most of Trump's base didn't know how to use the Internet or have Twitter in 2000 to unite them all.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Palin was the first crack in the "Establishment Wing" dam, quickly followed by the Tea Party, and we've been spinning out of control since.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

He had been racking up debt and lovely business deals all through the 90s and was seen as a joke around 2000

That was when he went to Putin and started getting paid to launder Russian money

After that, the Apprentice rehabbed his image to the point that Red had been talking about

While he would have still had financial credibility with John Pigslop of Flyover, Oklahoma, he would have gotten annihilated in NYC and the northeast. and he wasn’t the kind of barn burner who the MAGA faithful would have lined up behind, that was still Pat Buchanan

Now, if you want the real poo poo, him running just after the art of the deal was published, and being a candidate in ‘88, that was when he was still seen as the money man who could do no wrong.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

fat bossy gerbil posted:

He'll never die. He'll go into hiding from the deep state. People will see his like they see Jesus, or Elvis. "My cousin said his buddy saw trump down at the Wal-Mart" kind of stuff.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I also want to point out that in addition to everything mentioned. All the years of myths building the insane right wing froth that was building since Regan leading to his election I still don’t think he would have won and took over the GOP except for the fact that Hillary Clinton ran one of the worst campaigns of all time and energized that insane base. I think if the Dems had a better candidate in 2016 even then Trump was not inevitable. Once he got in though he showed that there are no consequences for breaking every single norm that’s when it really all went to poo poo.

Now that no one has to conform to societal norms I don’t see how they ever get to the place where trump was in 2016 unless you somehow close the Pandora’s box on decorum lol.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

FuturePastNow posted:

one thing is assured, his autopsy report will not say "the anus is unremarkable"

Is it because they mistake it for his mouth?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Vire posted:

I also want to point out that in addition to everything mentioned. All the years of myths building the insane right wing froth that was building since Regan leading to his election I still don’t think he would have won and took over the GOP except for the fact that Hillary Clinton ran one of the worst campaigns of all time and energized that insane base. I think if the Dems had a better candidate in 2016 even then Trump was not inevitable. Once he got in though he showed that there are no consequences for breaking every single norm that’s when it really all went to poo poo.

Now that no one has to conform to societal norms I don’t see how they ever get to the place where trump was in 2016 unless you somehow close the Pandora’s box on decorum lol.

Clinton was a terrible candidate strategically - in addition to not taking the contest very seriously she is, unfortunately for her and not at all entirely through fault of her own, a lightning-rod for exciting what turned into Trump's base. 2016 was "it's my turn, deal with it" vs "we will never let her be president" and Trump saw the opportunity to fan those flames and it worked for him.

Hard to get that same energy going against a guy who is already President and hasn't done much worthy of serious criticism.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

frytechnician posted:

Killers Of The Flower Moon is a good, not great movie.

Lily Gladstone's performance however, is nothing short of loving incredible and she deserves the Oscar hands down for it, sorry Carey Mulligan.

She's easily the best thing in that movie.

Yes. This.

The movie takes some liberties with the book/source material. That's standard in history to cinema, but in this case it was unnecessary. There's a reveal early in the movie that comes much later in the book (real life events) that would've been more powerful if they kept it later.

Lot's of FBI agent Tom White's (Jesse Plemons) story is left out due to time.

Truth be told, KotFM would've made a better mini-series than movie. Not Scorsese's best but good. The book is way better.

Pure Evil doesn't begin to describe what was done to the Osage but there's no other description for it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Clinton was a terrible candidate strategically - in addition to not taking the contest very seriously she is, unfortunately for her and not at all entirely through fault of her own, a lightning-rod for exciting what turned into Trump's base. 2016 was "it's my turn, deal with it" vs "we will never let her be president" and Trump saw the opportunity to fan those flames and it worked for him.

Hard to get that same energy going against a guy who is already President and hasn't done much worthy of serious criticism.

whats funny is trumps kinda runnings clintons campaign now but way way dumber and more toxic.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

rotinaj posted:

He had been racking up debt and lovely business deals all through the 90s and was seen as a joke around 2000

That was when he went to Putin and started getting paid to launder Russian money

After that, the Apprentice rehabbed his image to the point that Red had been talking about

While he would have still had financial credibility with John Pigslop of Flyover, Oklahoma, he would have gotten annihilated in NYC and the northeast. and he wasn’t the kind of barn burner who the MAGA faithful would have lined up behind, that was still Pat Buchanan

Now, if you want the real poo poo, him running just after the art of the deal was published, and being a candidate in ‘88, that was when he was still seen as the money man who could do no wrong.

I’ve never been able to find this clip but I swear in 2000 I saw trump on TV teasing the idea of a presidential run and when asked about Pat Buchanan who was also running he blurted out “I think Pat Buchanan is in love with Adolph Hitler”

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats funny is trumps kinda runnings clintons campaign now but way way dumber and more toxic.
Yeah lol it rules

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
trump gives people an excuse to not think.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Trump is gonna lose again

:rip: TRULMIPP's POLTICAL CINREER

stable diffusion is as accurate at english as Trump is

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

And, being both a man and a conservative, he won't get the least bit of flak for it

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

notwithoutmyanus posted:

:rip: TRULMIPP's POLTICAL CINREER

stable diffusion is as accurate at english as Trump is

not portly enough

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

Actually, do not go on, about I/P

I'm going to talk about how IPv4 addresses work.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Agents are GO! posted:

Just IPv6 already.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ralph Hurley posted:

I’ve never been able to find this clip but I swear in 2000 I saw trump on TV teasing the idea of a presidential run and when asked about Pat Buchanan who was also running he blurted out “I think Pat Buchanan is in love with Adolph Hitler”

Yup

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/when-trump-ran-against-trump-ism-story-2000-election-ncna915651

quote:

On Sunday, September 19, Buchanan was a guest on CBS’s "Face the Nation." An hour before the show, Trump faxed a statement in to the producers:

Pat Buchanan’s stated view that we should not have stopped Adolph [sic] Hitler is repugnant. Hitler was a monster, and it was essential for the Allies to crush Nazism. Buchanan denigrates the memory of those Americans who gave their lives in the Second World War in the effort to stop Hitler. I am proud of the vital role that the United States played in stopping Hitler. I think it is essential that someone challenge these extreme and outrageous views by Pat Buchanan.

quote:

On October 24, Trump went on "Meet the Press" with more news to make. He was leaving the Republican Party and filing paperwork to join the Reform Party. Host Tim Russert asked why. “I really believe the Republicans are just too crazy right,” Trump replied. The same description, he went on to say, applied to Pat Buchanan: “He’s a Hitler lover. I guess he’s an anti-Semite. He doesn’t like the blacks, he doesn’t like the gays.”

Trump didn’t have it in 2000, wouldn’t have set his maga chuds alight. He would have been an establishment Republican.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Agents are GO! posted:

I am interested

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Lol Jon Stewart returning to the daily show which is a great thing and can't wait to see goons bitching about how he's bad actually and always hated him. He really did quit at the worst time.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Can you elaborate? I’m really curious about things like this.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Lol Jon Stewart returning to the daily show which is a great thing and can't wait to see goons bitching about how he's bad actually and always hated him. He really did quit at the worst time.

If he's indeed some weird COVID truther then he's hopelessly brainwormed, and is justifiably a write-off. I liked his Daily Show but I think it was worthy of being retired even at the tail end of his tenure, The Colbert Report was better in just about every way for how media had evolved

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

And look what happened to Colbert

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Serious_Cyclone posted:

If he's indeed some weird COVID truther

I hate to be the one to tell you this but that was a joke.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

somnambulist posted:

Can you elaborate? I’m really curious about things like this.

its not a total, but he is kinda similar. He is deeply controversial and unpopular now and mostly has a core base and thats it. alot of people voting will just be voting as "gently caress you" to him. he is also extreamly out of touch, though in different ways.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

thank god we can once more get the perspective of an old man on all this poo poo.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I hate to be the one to tell you this but that was a joke.

I'm glad you told me, because I didn't take it as a joke and I assumed whoever had said it knew something about him that I didn't. I'm glad to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

You’ll get President Rock by 2032.