Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kalli posted:

The 49ers are just the Cowboys with less annoying press.

I'd rather see Dallas win 5 straight superbowls than SF win one more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

a neat cape posted:

I'd rather see Dallas win 5 straight superbowls than SF win one more.

:chloe:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

They made me cry in 1994

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Papercut posted:

This line of reasoning could be used to snuff out Cowboys hate, which I absolutely will not stand for

:hmmyes:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Papercut posted:

This line of reasoning could be used to snuff out Cowboys hate, which I absolutely will not stand for

Please see Kalli's post for the rebuttal to this.

a neat cape posted:

They made me cry in 1994

Fan trauma lasts forever, and is the best reason to hate a franchise. Sports at it's purest.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I dunno hating on the Cowboys for their old wins just feels strange, they're more pathetic than a villain. It's like expecting people born after 1980 to still being mad at the Kaiser or the Emperor of Japan.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

a neat cape posted:

They made me cry in 1994

We can at least bond over soul crushing Superbowl defeats

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

a neat cape posted:

They made me cry in 1994

the kawa theory that its bad to lose the superbowl becoming more and more supported...

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Coldforge posted:

Fan trauma lasts forever, and is the best reason to hate a franchise. Sports at it's purest.

Yep! I have zero issue with aby individual 49er player or fan. Its that goddamn helmet

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Black Sunshine posted:

Is this what will unite the AFC West

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

The 49ers bad touched the Broncos. Sure, it was before my time, but ancestral blood-hatred is one of the best kinds of hate. :cheers:

e:

Lions>>>>>>>Ravens>>>>>>>>>>49ers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chiefs

only because the Ravens pain is more recent

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 24, 2024

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Is this what will unite the AFC West

Once the Lions destroy the Chiefs 55-17 in the Superbowl then yes, the circle will be complete

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Black Sunshine posted:

Once the Lions destroy the Chiefs 55-17 in the Superbowl then yes, the circle will be complete

god can you imagine

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Kalli posted:

The 49ers are just the Cowboys with less annoying press.

That's not true, sometimes they also win a few playoff games

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Coldforge posted:

I will always hate Ryan Braun.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Black Sunshine posted:

49ers: 5 Superbowl wins, 7 Superbowl appearances, 18 conference championship games

Lions: 0 Superbowl wins, 0 Superbowl appearances, 1 conference championship game

49era fan "how much do these things really matter?"

Yes, but also: this is Detroit's second CCG in the Super Bowl era :eng101: Lost 10-41 to Washington in the 1991-92 NFCCG lol

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Yes, but also: this is Detroit's second CCG in the Super Bowl era :eng101: Lost 10-41 to Washington in the 1991-92 NFCCG lol

And 19 CCGs for the niners, info was from before this weekend occurs!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair i get the argument . Like do I really care that Green Bay won Super Bowl one and two. I didn’t see it it doesn’t mean poo poo to me

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

a neat cape posted:

They made me cry in 1994

this is why i still hate the cowboys and packers and rockets (i'm not sure I cried for the NFCCGs but I definitely did over the magic getting swept in the finals) so i respect it but also i'm glad it happened

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Won't someone please think of the poor team with a long and ridiculous history of success

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Black Sunshine posted:

Won't someone please think of the poor team with a long and ridiculous history of success

it seems you can't stop thinking of them

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

it seems you can't stop thinking of them

I'm not making stupid arguments here

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
God gently caress no please stop owning me with my favorite team’s history of sustained success I can’t take it

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Black Sunshine posted:

I'm not making stupid arguments here

Yet you're apparently still arguing against something that was never said :shrug:

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Black Sunshine posted:

Losing two Super Bowls to the two dirtiest, cheatin-rear end franchises in the league is extremely soul-crushing in fandom and on a moral level.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Coldforge posted:

I don't know how old you are, but there are actually some people in the world for whom 30 years is longer than they've been alive, and also ancient history.

gently caress this. i dont need to know this.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Coldforge posted:

Yet you're apparently still arguing against something that was never said :shrug:

Coldforge posted:

Lions won 4 NFL championships before the super bowl was a thing. It's been 30 years for the 49ers, and granted it's been 70 for the Lions, but once you hit that point where most players in the NFL are younger than the last franchise victory, how much does it matter?

I mean, what am I missing here because you're using pre-merger things to play down your own teams significant accomplishments compared to your opponent in this particular matchup.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Manoueverable posted:

Losing two Super Bowls to the two dirtiest, cheatin-rear end franchises in the league is extremely soul-crushing in fandom and on a moral level.

I was rooting hard for you each time friend. I'm thankful that you at least vanquished the Broncos into another plane of existence that one time though.

Left Shark MVP nevar forget

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Black Sunshine posted:

I mean, what am I missing here because you're using pre-merger things to play down your own teams significant accomplishments compared to your opponent in this particular matchup.

No, I was trying to contextualize and clarify what you said about the 49ers winning a lot.

quote:

The problem with the niners is that everyone on the team is cool as poo poo but the franchise itself has won too many times already so gently caress em.

If winning games is your only barometer then that's totally fair, but that's a very "hang the banners" kind of winning. If by winning you mean winning championships, then both teams have had past success that's far enough in the past to be irrelevant to a modern victory.

I stated a view based on what you posted, and it's entirely possible it was irrelevant to your intention, but that wasn't clear to me. That's why I didn't try to distort what you said in order to make an argument against it, I simply said what I said about franchise victories.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Coldforge posted:

No, I was trying to contextualize and clarify what you said about the 49ers winning a lot.

If winning games is your only barometer then that's totally fair, but that's a very "hang the banners" kind of winning. If by winning you mean winning championships, then both teams have had past success that's far enough in the past to be irrelevant to a modern victory.

I stated a view based on what you posted, and it's entirely possible it was irrelevant to your intention, but that wasn't clear to me. That's why I didn't try to distort what you said in order to make an argument against it, I simply said what I said about franchise victories.

All victories matter post-merger because every ring must be kissed

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

All victories matter post-merger because every ring must be kissed

It was still the NFL, and they had hardware.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

I get that 30 years is a long time and understand the argument to a degree but it's still within the confines of the NFL proper which is the Superbowl era.

My team has been the 2nd biggest joke in the league since 2003 but I don't feel I can complain too hard because of the crazy success the team had in the '70s and early '80s. That's just my take though

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Coldforge posted:

I don't know how old you are, but there are actually some people in the world for whom 30 years is longer than they've been alive, and also ancient history.

Sometimes my high school students are doing the basketball immaculate grid and they'll start talking about Artis Gilmore or Fat Lever.

I can't figure out how they know these people existed. They claim it's because of the 2K video games but I dunno

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Coldforge posted:

Only NFL dorks or unsuccessful teams/fans grasping for something to be proud of care about pre-merger anything.

I get that we're NFL dorks but I'm speaking in general terms here

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Black Sunshine posted:

I get that 30 years is a long time and understand the argument to a degree but it's still within the confines of the NFL proper which is the Superbowl era.

My team has been the 2nd biggest joke in the league since 2003 but I don't feel I can complain too hard because of the crazy success the team had in the '70s and early '80s. That's just my take though

This is why I agreed I was being insane, because my perspective on it as a fan is radically different than yours as a fan :hmmyes:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Coldforge posted:

"world champ" is a lie and you know it

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Coldforge posted:

There are far more people alive now who saw the last SF Super Bowl than the last Detroit championship. There are also far more people alive now who were alive the last time SF won a title than people who weren’t. The median age of a Super Bowl viewer is almost 50. NFL viewership in general is skewed to the 35-65 range.

All of this means that a majority of fans and casual viewers grew up in an era where the 49ers were historically successful and the Lions were historically awful. If you don’t expect that to color perceptions I don’t know what to tell you.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There are far more people alive now who saw the last SF Super Bowl than the last Detroit championship. There are also far more people alive now who were alive the last time SF won a title than people who weren’t. The median age of a Super Bowl viewer is almost 50. NFL viewership in general is skewed to the 35-65 range.

All of this means that a majority of fans and casual viewers grew up in an era where the 49ers were historically successful and the Lions were historically awful. If you don’t expect that to color perceptions I don’t know what to tell you.

Of course it does. I also don't care.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

"world champ" is a lie and you know it

Rings must be kissed!

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i also think the 49ers suck and who do i blame? the fans for not rooting good enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kalli posted:

I didn't know he was hurt:

They thought he tore it.

It's wild to think he could play even with a strain, that poo poo is wildly painful.