Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

The loving UN is so worthless lmao gently caress America and Israel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

i direct everyone who felt sorry for Major Blanket yesterday to look at the poo poo eating grins on the faces of the nazis blowing up houses

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

i direct everyone who felt sorry for Major Blanket yesterday to look at the poo poo eating grins on the faces of the nazis blowing up houses

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

The loving UN is so worthless lmao gently caress America and Israel

the un as an organization, has done a lot

the un as a forum, where the most powerful nations can tell everyone to gently caress off, sucks

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Did the soldiers decide to or were they ordered to do so to boost morale?

One is monumentally stupid and a misuse of arnaments, another is also monumentally stupid and a misuse of arnaments but also another piece of evidence on the warcrime pile.

Then again whatever the case, them blowing up empty buildings with no resistance nearby is probably the closest thing the IDF could get to a victory. They're lucky the houses were mostly structurally sound before or they might have suffered debilitating wounds walking up to them.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

you're 100% correct

quote:

The U.N. "police action" prevented North Korea from imposing its communist rule on South Korea. Also, the United States' actions in Korea demonstrated America's willingness to combat aggression, strengthened President Eisenhower's hand in Europe as he sought to organize European military defense under the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, and insured that the United States would pursue its military buildup called for in the famous cold war document, National Security Council Policy Paper No. 68.

quote:

In its Korean War bombing campaign, the US ‘burned down every town in North Korea’
Many of these atrocities refer to what Blaine Harden, author and former Washington Post reporter, recently called a "long, leisurely and merciless" US bombing campaign: well over half a million tons of bombs dropped, napalm and chemical weapons deployed, cities levelled.
“Although the ferocity of the bombing was recognised as racist and unjustified elsewhere in the world,” says Harden, for many Americans it was just another conflict in a distant and poorly understood country, he concludes. Not for nothing is it called the forgotten war.
Air Force general Curtis LeMay, head of the strategic air command during the Korean War, estimated that the American campaign killed 20 per cent of the population. “We went over there and fought the war and eventually burned down every town in North Korea,” he said.
General Douglas MacArthur’s plan to win was a list of targets sent to the Pentagon, requesting 34 atomic bombs to create “a belt of radioactive cobalt across the neck of Manchuria so that there could be no land invasion of Korea from the north for at least 60 years”.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Symbolic!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

So... China has an interest in global shipping.

But... the entire purpose of the pivot to Asia is to win a war by controlling Chinese shipping, and by extension hang that over China in peacetime.

Therefore...the USN would be the force that threatens Chinese shipping, in theory even now.

The hope is... China helps them deal with Yemen, so they can go back to threatening China?

Is that about right?

Precisely.

Also, sanctions will disrupt the supply of arms and resources to the Houthis, who (we are endlessly told) are primarily supplied by Iran.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

Symbolic!

google translate posted:

every iof nazi is worth a house full of lesser peoples

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

Mentioned before but the country is basically being held hostage by two parties that are only ruling because the party that got all the votes didn't realize it would get so many votes

Liberal Democracy is so cool

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/USSbriefs/status/1750259710169694442

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

Neurolimal posted:

Mentioned before but the country is basically being held hostage by two parties that are only ruling because the party that got all the votes didn't realize it would get so many votes

I'm cynical enough to think that sinn Féin would do some Olympic tier fence sitting on this one too.

Edit: Because American money.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

its not a genocide though

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Lmao

Watch out for rpg achievement hunters

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Also good job announcing where all of your explosives will be and where they can be detonated/picked up

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
If one soldier = one house than hamas has some catching up to do.

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

The protestors that spraypainted Elbit and broke some windows are going to get the J6 treatment, and the NH governor called it antisemitism

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

apatheticman posted:

If one soldier = one house than hamas has some catching up to do.

Let seventy-two thousand 🔻 boom.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

OctaMurk posted:

the un as a forum, where the most powerful nations can tell everyone to gently caress off, sucks

Yeah I guess I also meant the ICJ or whatever "international rules based order" is supposed to be in place to prevent this exact poo poo. I know the UN relief orgs and other programs do good things around the world.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jesus loving Christ

DTI, DTA

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

God loving drat that quad copter poo poo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This isn't even the first time this has been reported happening in Gaza.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Financial Times

https://www.ft.com/content/bba68661-6c9b-41b5-ab74-d573b3a27c54

US urges China to help curb Red Sea attacks by Iran-backed Houthis
Demetri Sevastopulo and Felicia Schwartz in Washington and Wenjie Ding in Beijing
Yesterday

The US has asked China to urge Tehran to rein in Iran-backed Houthi rebels attacking commercial ships in the Red Sea, but has seen little sign of help from Beijing, according to American officials.

Officials have repeatedly raised the matter with top Chinese officials in the past three months, asking them to convey a warning to Iran not to inflame tensions in the Middle East after Hamas’s October 7 attack on Israel and the ensuing war.

US national security adviser Jake Sullivan and his deputy, Jon Finer, discussed the issue in meetings this month in Washington with Liu Jianchao, head of the Chinese Communist party’s international department, according to US officials. Secretary of state Antony Blinken also raised it, said a state department official.

But US officials said there was little evidence China had put any pressure on Iran to restrain the Houthis, beyond a mild statement Beijing issued last week calling on “relevant parties” to ensure safe passage for vessels sailing through the Red Sea, a critical shipping route for global trade.

On Wednesday, the Chinese foreign ministry said Beijing was calling for a stop to “disturbance to civilian ships” and had “been in close communication with various parties and worked actively to alleviate the tension in the Red Sea”.

However, in veiled criticism of the US and UK attacks on the Houthis, the ministry urged the “relevant parties to avoid adding fuel to the fire”, adding that the UN Security Council had “never authorised the use of force by any country on Yemen”.

The Red Sea tension was also a “spillover” from the Gaza conflict, which should be ended as soon as possible, the ministry said.

The diplomatic push on Beijing comes as the US and allies continue to bomb Houthi positions in Yemen in response to at least 33 Houthi attacks on commercial vessels transiting the Red Sea since mid-November. The US and UK carried out widespread strikes again on Monday.

The Houthis are backed by Iran, which has enjoyed deeper commercial and diplomatic ties with China in recent years.

One official said the US would continue to raise the issue of Iran and the Houthi attacks with Beijing but was not particularly optimistic that China’s attitude would change.

Another US official said there had been “some signs” of China engaging on the issue, but not in a significant way. “I wouldn’t want to overstate either how much they’ve done or what impact it has had,” the official said.

John Kirby, National Security Council spokesperson, on Tuesday said Washington would “welcome a constructive role by China, using the influence and the access that we know they have to . . . help stem the flow of weapons, ammunitions to the Houthis”.

Liu, who is viewed as a top candidate to become Chinese foreign minister, travelled to Iran in December. His visit came days after US President Joe Biden and his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, held a summit in San Francisco.

US officials had hoped Beijing would take action because it viewed the Houthi attacks as a menace to its own commercial interests, given that the Red Sea was a critical route for Chinese exports to Europe.

Ahead of the San Francisco summit, US officials repeatedly urged China to use whatever leverage it had with Iran — whose proxy groups in Iraq and Syria have also targeted American military bases — amid concerns that the Israel-Hamas war could spiral into a broader conflict in the Middle East.

Dennis Wilder, a former top CIA China expert now at Georgetown University, said Beijing had “worked assiduously” to court Middle Eastern nations, including Iran, for economic and geopolitical gain. But he said it would be “very reluctant to use its limited influence with the Islamic state in a way that it perceives advance US interests without benefit to China”.

US officials have also pressed the effort at the UN Security Council, where China is a permanent member, according to a second state department official.

The US has launched eight rounds of missile strikes on Houthi targets in Yemen over the past two weeks in response to the attacks on shipping, including the joint strike with the UK military on Monday.

Suzanne Maloney, head of foreign policy studies at the Brookings Institution, said she had discussed the issue with Chinese experts and had not detected any serious appetite to help.

“I think what they’ve calculated . . . is that this is a crisis that’s bogging the US and its partners down and it has not had a significant impact on Chinese shipping.”

Ma Xiaolin, a professor at Zhejiang International Studies University, said he believed Liu’s visit to Iran in December was not coincidental and that he would have conveyed Chinese demands regarding the need for security.

Ma, an expert on China’s relations with the Middle East, said: “China wishes for the restoration of peace in the Red Sea region and for international shipping to be secure, which aligns with the interests of all parties because this is an important global trade route.”

The Chinese embassy in the US said it had no details about the exchanges with Liu, but that China was concerned about the “escalating tension” in the Red Sea. The embassy said it served the common interests of the international community and that China urged “relevant parties to play a constructive and responsible role in keeping the Red Sea safe and stable”.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/comrade_sweezy/status/1740992469435850757?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

permaban brown Moses.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 23:25 on Jan 24, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

perma him so i can say "fire him into the sun" without fear of mod reprisal

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i knew what you meant but also "permanent brown moses" is a killing phrase

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

a few years ago one of their guys went through a video frame by frame to prove it was the palestanians faults they got killed by an israeli person

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1391839815822299137

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1391839855731113984

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

robert evans (the CIA robert evans) was going full court press on combatting "misinformation" which surprise surprise just meant picking randos who were claiming wild poo poo and only on the palestinian side. no effort to combat the misinformation being put out by the government of israel however.....

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

a few years ago one of their guys went through a video frame by frame to prove it was the palestanians faults they got killed by an israeli person

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1391839815822299137

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1391839855731113984

God I hate this poo poo head and I think markedly less of people when I hear them say they listen to Behind the Bastards. I regret getting caught up in the CSPAM excitement for his civil war podcast with the message of we havve to keep voting democrat to dial the temperature down

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

silicone thrills posted:

Its interesting how the idf calls literally any time hamas attacks them an ambush. Like is it only not an ambush if hamas throws a little paper airplane over with a place and time to face off?

Well, I think it's three things. It sounds like good PR if your guys got "ambushed" vs other words like "massacred", "attacked and defeated", etc. Also, urban combat is going to lend itself to a whole bunch more ambush scenarios than large regular forces conducting large scale war.

Finally, from reading this thread, it seems like a principle way that you ought to avoid some ambushes in urban warfare, is through the kind of opsec that comes from deploying infantry alongside vehicles and using good military intelligence skills and it doesn't seem like the IDF is capable of that. All of this has been pretty revealing to me, I just always assumed that, as an extension of US force projection in the region, the IDF was not only generally on par with the USAF for waging war, but I guess I had bought some of the propaganda that Mossad was the scariest and best equipped intel apparatus in the world and an IDF fully unleashed would be a regional force unlike any other.

I guess they are that, but, only in terms of their willingness to be genocidal lunatics throwing themselves into obvious meat grinders for weird fascist/theocratic/ideological reasons I can't really comprehend.

Being a mistreated dissident who refuses to fight and is in an Israeli prison during all this sounds pretty lovely, and also vastly preferable to being in a combat zone. Some weird kind of brain worms, I guess.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

biden is increasingly isolated

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Robert Evans is also a goon.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Robert Evans is also a goon.

very funny that he has studiously avoided cspam

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lmao this wasn't a mistake or an accident. this was a deliberate attack. the israelis knew exactly what they were shooting at

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
that whole article about the quadcopters is horrible. lots of targeting civilians, even saying that dogs and cats are targeted by them, which is totally believable giving how drone operators are probably all bloodthirsty sadists

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Al! posted:

very funny that he has studiously avoided cspam

he should post here

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_asNhzXq72w

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

lobster shirt posted:

he should post here

i think he does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

that whole article about the quadcopters is horrible. lots of targeting civilians, even saying that dogs and cats are targeted by them, which is totally believable giving how drone operators are probably all bloodthirsty sadists

read a story not too long ago about a family that was terrorized by one of those things randomly firing at them through their window