Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Goldschmidt’s sordid time as a Cardinal is going to put his case for the hall at an even greater disadvantage than Bonds and Arod re: steroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Kershaw's gonna be the first guy younger than me to get in, it seems like.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Goldschmidt’s sordid time as a Cardinal is going to put his case for the hall at an even greater disadvantage than Bonds and Arod re: steroids.

I was going to say I could see him playing too long and killing his chances but holy poo poo I didn't realize he was at 17th on the JAWS list for 1B.

Votto is 12th, do we think he sails in?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
John Fisher needs to trip and fall down the same well that Bauer trips and falls down

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Regretfully we must all now boo at Joc
https://x.com/Very__Regular/status/1750290428841123931?s=20
BOOOO

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Which one of you is this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Kershaw's gonna be the first guy younger than me to get in, it seems like.

I was going to say I could see him playing too long and killing his chances but holy poo poo I didn't realize he was at 17th on the JAWS list for 1B.

Votto is 12th, do we think he sails in?
Yeah I had the same kinda reaction on Goldschmidt, thought he'd be kinda borderline but then I looked and no he's in good position. With that MVP win in '22 his MVP shares are now up to 3.24 which is very respectable territory:

Everyone on that list with an asterisk is in the Hall of Fame.

I guess there's a question of how some older voters will feel about guys like him and Votto that have excellent rate stats but lack the traditional counting milestones. But who knows, maybe he sticks around long enough to hit another 160 HR

I think people love Votto and he should also get in, hopefully he doesn't hang around being bad for too long.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 25, 2024

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Dinosaurs! posted:

lmao

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Votto is the opposite of Sheffield. He's so gregarious that every writer will vote for him.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

live with fruit posted:

Votto is the opposite of Sheffield. He's so gregarious that every writer will vote for him.

Gregarious… yeah that’s it. A real coach’s dream. High motor. Gives 110%. Amazing baseball IQ. More Billy Packer-esque phrases.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

that stupid loving thing is only like 70k

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dinosaurs! posted:

hahaha

sean doolittle car spotted

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Speaking of Votto, per Hey Man the Angels are interested in him

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1750298820267696505?s=20

They just signed Miguel Sano to a minor league deal so I have no idea if this would impact their interest

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I have no hopes for the Angels immediate future so what the hell, let's sign Votto and Greinke and Bonds to 1 year deals.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bravesword posted:

The late eighties don’t look particularly good for ballplayers honestly. Andrew McCutchen is probably the best player born the same year as me. After him, you’ve got Posey, Kershaw, Goldschmidt, Freeman as players who have a shot… and then you’re into 90s births

I was born in 1984; looking at a list of players born that year ... loving yikes. No slam-dunk HoF guys beyond Mad Max, near as I can tell. Maaaaaaaybe Jon Lester if the members of the BBWAA suffer a collective aneurysm and he gets sympathy votes for the Cubs' 2016 season?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Part 2 of the Creed journey is here!

Human Clay (1999)

Never has there been a more 1999 hard rock album cover.

1. Are You Ready? – This kinda sounds like a mashup of a few different Stone Temple Pilots songs, but more boring. Lyrically, there are themes of a clean slate and great things to come, perhaps referencing rebirth through Our Lord and Savior.
2. What if – This song weirdly uses the intro from Paint It Black. The riff in the verse is decently ominous, which is appropriate since this is apparently on the soundtrack for Scream 3. Lyrically uninspiring, which is a nice change of pace from the right wing politics of the last album.

Creed posted:

What if
What if
What if
What if
What if I
What if
What if
What if
What if
What if I
What if
What if
What if
What if
What if I
What if
What if
What if
What if
What if I
That's not even the only <5 word chorus on this album (Say I is the other).
3. Beautiful – This song is about how it’s bad to be horny for beautiful ladies. I can only conclude from the lyrics that Scott Stapp fell in love with a sex worker, probably a stripper:

Scott Stapp posted:

In your mind she's your companion
Vile instincts often candid
Your regret, is all that's left
The Beautiful is empty
Beautiful is free
Beautiful loves no one
Beautiful stripped me
But actually it’s better to just jack off alone:

quote:

She told me where I'm going
And it's far away from home
I think I'll go there on my own
I think I'll go there on my own
4. Say I – The guitar part of this kinda goes if I’m being honest. Like several of Creed’s songs, the lyrics describe the decay of humanity in the absence of God. It also drops the album title. Best of the album to this point, but that’s damning with faint praise.
5. Wrong Way – As I started this song, I was just thinking that Stapp isn’t doing as much weird poo poo with his voice on this album and then the way he sang “What makes you stop and smell the roses in an open field?” nearly knocked me out of my chair. Otherwise a pretty bland song about learning from the mistakes of others.
6. Faceless Man – Really weird to hear Creed go acoustic for a big chunk of this song. It’s a big ol ballad in which Stapp pronounces “stand” really weird several times and tells the tale of requiring the power of the Lord to stand against the Faceless Men of Braavos. Pretty sure I heard the lil riff from Higher in the outro.
7. Never Die – This is a song about staying young at heart. The riffs are okay. I don’t mind this. Though it is kinda weird that the imagery used to evoke youthful innocence is candy canes and French braids. Seems a bit antiquated for this time. Like if they did a cover of Camptown Races or something.
8. With Arms Wide Open – I can see how this did big numbers back in the day. It’s big and cheesy and sincere, which is kind of endearing. And it’s about a noncontroversial topic, the joy of becoming a parent. It’s not something I’d ever choose to listen to but it’s fine I guess.
9. Higher – This is the big one. I can’t hate it. It makes me think of that Cowboys Thanksgiving halftime show which always makes me chuckle. And now it also makes me think of the Rangers singing it terribly in the clubhouse after Game 5 :unsmith:. It’s not a good song by any means, but that’s okay in this case.
10. Wash Away Those Years – Following the triumphant peak of Higher is a song about a rape victim. It’s a bummer. The song itself is pretty boring, nothing you haven’t heard before. Hell, I’ve heard it on this very album! Creed has a formula and they mostly stick to it.
11. Inside Us All – When you’re feeling lonely, just remember that there’s a peace inside us all that you should let be your friend (The peace is Jesus).

This album is very repetitive. It’s not as amusing as My Own Prison, though it’s generally easier to listen to. There’s just less meat on the bone for a post like this. I wish there were fewer power ballads than there are. With this, I'm halfway through this ordeal. Next up will be Weathered (2001).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Speaking of Votto, per Hey Man the Angels are interested in him

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1750298820267696505?s=20

They just signed Miguel Sano to a minor league deal so I have no idea if this would impact their interest

Didn't they just call up a first baseman after a couple of weeks in the minors?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

live with fruit posted:

Didn't they just call up a first baseman after a couple of weeks in the minors?

yeah, Schanuel shows a lot of promise. the internet says he can play outfield too so if we take Votto then ?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

2. What if – This song weirdly uses the intro from Paint It Black. The riff in the verse is decently ominous, which is appropriate since this is apparently on the soundtrack for Scream 3.

It is indeed! It plays for like 10 - 15 seconds during the opening pre-title sequence before Cotton Weary and his girlfriend, played by Kelly Rutherford, get slaughtered.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Take it to the salt belt!

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
https://twitter.com/discussbaseball/status/1750220415664873601?t=3V9Nx_Udybbz3-eRGoRUmA&s=19

Astros should sign this guy as a LOOGY. Some upside potential. Has an outside shot at the postseason roster I think.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Part 2 of the Creed journey is here!

Human Clay (1999)

Creed has a formula and they mostly stick to it.

I could hear the songs I remembered in my head as I read this review and yeah they basically all kinda sound the same. Maybe part of that is Scott Stapps weird singing voice which just kinda dominates.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sab0921 posted:

https://twitter.com/discussbaseball/status/1750220415664873601?t=3V9Nx_Udybbz3-eRGoRUmA&s=19

Astros should sign this guy as a LOOGY. Some upside potential. Has an outside shot at the postseason roster I think.
why are people actually confused by his status as unsigned?

He's recovering from surgery and not in a rush. There are only two teams he will even consider, and both of them will happily pay him what he asks for one year, whenever he makes a decision. And based on what he's said in the past about his feelings on contract obligations and health/availability, he is probably not comfortable signing a deal until he's a bit further into his recovery.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

9. Higher – This is the big one. I can’t hate it. It makes me think of that Cowboys Thanksgiving halftime show which always makes me chuckle. And now it also makes me think of the Rangers singing it terribly in the clubhouse after Game 5 :unsmith:. It’s not a good song by any means, but that’s okay in this case.

HELL YEAH BROTHER

I honestly can't hear this song without seeing that weird bald gymnast flying around the old Texas Stadium. Truly amazing.

Creed posted:

What if
What if
What if
What if
What if I
What if
What if
What if
What if
What if I
What if
What if
What if
What if
What if I
What if
What if
What if
What if
What if I

:magical:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I learned how to play Higher as a joke and it turns out my goddamn fingers refuse to forget it.

Imwill say that the little "doot doot meedly MEE" in the chorus is the a great musical practical joke. Everyone that hears it knows exactly what it is and hates you.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

for everyone who wants to make fun of Joc and his Tesla Cybertruck, please be culturally sensitive. he's from Palo Alto, this is what their people do

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

bawfuls posted:

why are people actually confused by his status as unsigned?

He's recovering from surgery and not in a rush. There are only two teams he will even consider, and both of them will happily pay him what he asks for one year, whenever he makes a decision. And based on what he's said in the past about his feelings on contract obligations and health/availability, he is probably not comfortable signing a deal until he's a bit further into his recovery.

I thought the poster was joking but if they aren't, WOW!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

“Give me the shittiest Beltre take you got”

https://twitter.com/iamjamesstewart/status/1750249509970428182

“No that’s too lovely!”

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

bawfuls posted:

“Give me the shittiest Beltre take you got”

https://twitter.com/iamjamesstewart/status/1750249509970428182

“No that’s too lovely!”

Bitter babies in Boston, bewildering

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Lol at naming a bunch of white 3B and implying that Beltre doesn't belong in their "neighborhood"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

There are at least two clues in that clip that these guys haven’t paid any attention to baseball in about 20 years

Baseball ended in 2004 when the Red Sox won.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1750566044224110973

tl;dr don't expect any of Snell, Montgomery, Chapman, or Bellinger to sign any time soon, all four are asking for well above what any team wants to pay for them and Boras is, as usual, more than content to play the waiting game.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

bawfuls posted:

There are at least two clues in that clip that these guys haven’t paid any attention to baseball in about 20 years

Baseball ended in 2004 when the Red Sox won.

One of those goobers was part of NESN'S color commentator rotation for the 2022 season. Which honestly says more about the state of the NESN broadcast is a post-Remy world.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

“I forgot he was primarily a third baseman”

“He didn’t stand out on those Rangers teams with Pudge and Palmeiro”

There is a creativity to this level of hot take, these guys are breaking new ground here.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

is sundowning more dangerous in baseball writers and commentators or our elected officials? we present the facts and you decide, tonight on The Dingus Report

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

bawfuls posted:

“I forgot he was primarily a third baseman”

“He didn’t stand out on those Rangers teams with Pudge and Palmeiro”

There is a creativity to this level of hot take, these guys are breaking new ground here.

where's the lie

Beltre never stood out with Pudge and Palmeiro, it's totally true

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

What’s wild to me is that Boston guys somehow weren’t impressed with Beltre’s year there.

He hit 49 doubles, had a .919 OPS, 7.8 WAR, and of course elite defense. How does that not stick out in the memory of someone following that team?

Even if they’re lazy about other teams, that season should have put him on their radar. Instead they act like he was some random nobody that filled in for a year and faded away.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 25, 2024

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I get that people are allowed to have bad opinions. Just don't act shocked when people come after you for being an uninformed dumbass when you can't even remember what position Adrian Beltre played.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Bandire posted:

I get that people are allowed to have bad opinions. Just don't act shocked when people come after you for being an uninformed dumbass when you can't even remember what position Adrian Beltre played.

That's the entire point of sports talk radio. It's manufactured anger by stating blatantly dumb opinions for people to get mad about.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If that’s what they’re doing then it’s very low effort kayfabe. Forgetting what position he played? Talking about Rangers players from 10 years before he even got there?

At least go in on his LA/SEA time, or make unprovable claims like “his defense was overrated” or complain he never won an MVP or a ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

That's the entire point of sports talk radio. It's manufactured anger by stating blatantly dumb opinions for people to get mad about.

It's the only explanation as to why Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd still have jobs.