Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

It just seems like a weird bit of shade to throw. "Don't congratulate them too hard, they had a lot of advantages"

Like a chunky RPG like that becoming a mega hit in 2023 is a pretty big accomplishment regardless of what they had going for them.

I think it makes more sense in the context of "Why isn't EVERYONE making a BG3, it's clearly so easy and it must be lazy devs" which was going around at the time. It's a big accomplishment for sure and they deserve every bit of praise they get, but it's also fair to say it wasn't just a TRY HARDER, LAZY DEVS thing, especially since BG3 also happened to get lucky with its timing. Like Rogue Trader didn't do BG3 numbers but that doesn't make it a half-assed game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
tag yourselves, I’m rise of the actual play movement

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
A DICE dev tweeting about how not to expect good games from them in the future is funny, and a Naughty Dog dev tweeting that work is hard so the new popular game must have cheated is hilarious.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ImpAtom posted:

I think it makes more sense in the context of "Why isn't EVERYONE making a BG3, it's clearly so easy and it must be lazy devs" which was going around at the time. It's a big accomplishment for sure and they deserve every bit of praise they get, but it's also fair to say it wasn't just a TRY HARDER, LAZY DEVS thing, especially since BG3 also happened to get lucky with its timing. Like Rogue Trader didn't do BG3 numbers but that doesn't make it a half-assed game.

I think it's fair to point that criticism at big publishers with massive devs like EA, Ubi, Actiblizz, etc, because they've been so focused on gaas, monetization, and pumping out mediocre garbage that it's no wonder something like BG3 was a huge hit. There's no reason any of those publishers couldn't have put out something like that that would have been hugely successful, they just didn't bother because it's apparently more profitable to turn full priced games into monetization schemes that make anime titty gachas blush

e: just look at the poo poo that happened to mass effect andromeda, and how they decided to ignore the things people loved about the franchise to make a bunch of bland Ubisoft style maps filled with repetitive poo poo

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

I think it's fair to point that criticism at big publishers with massive devs like EA, Ubi, Actiblizz, etc, because they've been so focused on gaas, monetization, and pumping out mediocre garbage that it's no wonder something like BG3 was a huge hit. There's no reason any of those publishers couldn't have put out something like that that would have been hugely successful, they just didn't bother because it's apparently more profitable to turn full priced games into monetization schemes that make anime titty gachas blush

e: just look at the poo poo that happened to mass effect andromeda, and how they decided to ignore the things people loved about the franchise to make a bunch of bland Ubisoft style maps filled with repetitive poo poo

This is all true but I'd also add on that I think a lot of developers skip a lot of ideas and concepts from the jump because they confuse impractical with impossible. Not knocking them for that but to some folks maybe Larian betting the farm on lots of easily missed content and implementing the vast majority of phb spells and bespoke casting animations and attack animations per race and implementing fail safe replacement npcs when players kill poo poo and on and on might feel like some kinda mic drop. Though if you paid any attention to their pre release messaging they were pretty dang humble about their work.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Honestly, Bethesda had 4/5 points on his list with Starfield and look how well that turned out.

(Yes it’s a new IP so point 5 doesn’t apply, but I also strongly disagree that D&D is a huge mainstream brand - imo the “Bethesda” brand of “the Skyrim and Fallout guys” is probably on par)

edit; and you could even argue that so many big games launch in a lovely broken state, that a lot of publishers are expecting us to pay full price for early access anyway

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

webmeister posted:

Honestly, Bethesda had 4/5 points on his list with Starfield and look how well that turned out.

(Yes it’s a new IP so point 5 doesn’t apply, but I also strongly disagree that D&D is a huge mainstream brand - imo the “Bethesda” brand of “the Skyrim and Fallout guys” is probably on par)

edit; and you could even argue that so many big games launch in a lovely broken state, that a lot of publishers are expecting us to pay full price for early access anyway

I think you could make a fair point that post COVID and the success of stuff like critical role and d20 and general "nerd" culture, as well as a big budget movie starting Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, and Hugh Grant, that D&D has become mainstream, even if not "huge"

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Professor Beetus posted:

I think you could make a fair point that post COVID and the success of stuff like critical role and d20 and general "nerd" culture, as well as a big budget movie starting Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, and Hugh Grant, that D&D has become mainstream, even if not "huge"

I don't buy this at all. If this is to believed it would have exploded when Stranger Things season 2 came out. And the DnD movie seems to generally accepted as good but looks as though to not really performed well at the box office that well. It cost 150 million and made 200 million domestically, by all modern accounts, a flop

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Critical Role was successful in at least bringing more awareness of tabletop to a wider gaming audience, but I think BG3's success ultimately has much less to do with the popularity of D&D so much as the popularity of high production value, reactive, immersive RPGs that were largely abandoned by Bioware et al for the past decade.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I guess it depends on your definition of 'mainstream.' Is it infinitely more popular now than it was ten years ago thanks to the enormity of, among other things, Stranger Things, the Adventure Zone, Critical Role, and Dimension 20 (to say nothing of the immense rise in tabletop gaming among millennials)? Yes. It's popular to the point where it may be considered laughable to call it niche. That said: Has it infiltrated to the same extent as, say, Game of Thrones? Nah. But if that's your benchmark for mainstream appeal, I think you're missing out on a bunch of smaller-but-still-big things.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I haven’t kept track of the faux controversy, so I’m enjoying Palworld on my Series X.

E:I haven’t noticed any frame rate issues at all, so I’m hoping that’s because the game is running on a system that does twelve trillion calculations per second.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 25, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

E: f,b. I forgot that he deleted it, must be working on a remake of it

between this and guerilla games throwing a hissy fit over elden ring, it hasn't been a great showing from sony's pet studios

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

tango alpha delta posted:

I haven’t kept track of the faux controversy, so I’m enjoying Palworld on my Series X.

The controversy just seems to be a bunch of people mad that they didnt think to make a pokemon clone not on nintendo first.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Seltzer posted:

The controversy just seems to be a bunch of people mad that they didnt think to make a pokemon clone not on nintendo first.

Well, specifically one that wasnt just a straight clone except for people who thought pokemon was too easy.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

welcome posted:

A DICE dev tweeting about how not to expect good games from them in the future is funny,
Xalavier is going to be at the DICE conference. AFAIK he doesn't work for DICE or any big company. He's almost entirely done small team indie work.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
That's less funny.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Beastie posted:

I don't buy this at all. If this is to believed it would have exploded when Stranger Things season 2 came out. And the DnD movie seems to generally accepted as good but looks as though to not really performed well at the box office that well. It cost 150 million and made 200 million domestically, by all modern accounts, a flop

It was a fun popcorn movie. My kids loved it. Being "a flop" is also hollywood math doing it's thing to minimize the profit they have to pay out on. Bonus points for the movie in that it was written by the main character kid from Freaks and Geeks who also wrote Horrible Bosses and is allegedly working on M.A.S.K.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I really enjoyed the D&D movie it was dumb fun and captured a tabletop campaign really well. Funny meta element to it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

JBP posted:

I really enjoyed the D&D movie it was dumb fun and captured a tabletop campaign really well. Funny meta element to it.

The one thing I wish it had was a "arguing in front of the monster" bit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

rope kid posted:

Xalavier is going to be at the DICE conference. AFAIK he doesn't work for DICE or any big company. He's almost entirely done small team indie work.

Rope Kid, I really need avowed to be awesome. It looks like it will be though.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

otter posted:

It was a fun popcorn movie. My kids loved it. Being "a flop" is also hollywood math doing it's thing to minimize the profit they have to pay out on. Bonus points for the movie in that it was written by the main character kid from Freaks and Geeks who also wrote Horrible Bosses and is allegedly working on M.A.S.K.

I was using it to highlight my point that this movie wasn't a huge release and probably attracted no one who was not already very familiar with the IP. It got a lot of hype in the online nerd circles but I nobody I know in the real world saw it or knew about it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Palworld is kinda neat but the world will be better off when games stop adding crafting in place of actual mechanics and gameplay.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
People loving love crafting tho. I'm not sure why, but you add some crafting, maybe just like basic buildings even, to a game and people go apeshit way harder than without it.

Like if they added crafting and base building to Firewatch of all games I reckon people would lose the poo poo over it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The dunkey review showed the resource grind to get a gun and it looks like Minecraft nonsense.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Palworld is a perfect game pass game. I want to try it but I know I'd be pissed if I paid for it.

I wonder how much Microsoft paid for it, wouldn't this agreement have been made long before people thought it would be a hit?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

People loving love crafting tho. I'm not sure why, but you add some crafting, maybe just like basic buildings even, to a game and people go apeshit way harder than without it.

Like if they added crafting and base building to Firewatch of all games I reckon people would lose the poo poo over it.

Every smash hit crafting game is a reminder there are tons of gamers who love things that actively push me out of a game.

Martman posted:

Palworld is a perfect game pass game. I want to try it but I know I'd be pissed if I paid for it.

I wonder how much Microsoft paid for it, wouldn't this agreement have been made long before people thought it would be a hit?

Yeah deal was inked a while ago, so presumably way before anybody knew it would be this big

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hate base building on a cellular level I think. In minecraft I build a small house in a tree or something and thats it. Dont want to have to worry about meters and defense levels and stuff while exploring a cool cave

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Does palworld do split screen like Minecraft too? Or is that something planned to be added later? I think it might be amusing to mess around in with my kids, but not if we have to be on different systems.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Beastie posted:

I was using it to highlight my point that this movie wasn't a huge release and probably attracted no one who was not already very familiar with the IP. It got a lot of hype in the online nerd circles but I nobody I know in the real world saw it or knew about it.

Which sucks because it was a really fun movie and should have had pretty widespread appeal. Chris Pine is a national treasure.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Douche4Sale posted:

Does palworld do split screen like Minecraft too? Or is that something planned to be added later? I think it might be amusing to mess around in with my kids, but not if we have to be on different systems.

It runs like poo poo on my series X so I'm guessing split screen isn't gonna be great if it's there at all.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Professor Beetus posted:

Which sucks because it was a really fun movie and should have had pretty widespread appeal. Chris Pine is a national treasure.

One of the funniest movies I've seen in recent years.

Chris Pine is the best Chris of all the Hollywood Chrisses.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

E: f,b. I forgot that he deleted it, must be working on a remake of it

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/25/24049050/microsoft-activision-blizzard-layoffs

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Thanks a lot Phil!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lazy devs shown the door

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

3 trillion dollar company

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bobby Kotek got his golden parachute so gently caress all y'all.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Love 2 lose institutional memory

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1750527030264017032?s=20

microsoft is doomed :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Xbox stays winning