Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yaklad: Infiniwe is reviewing quite well. Excited to take a vacation with best buds from boring normal Tokyo to some hosed up country called "America"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Any opinions on Sovereign Syndicate? I liked the demo from last year (and loved the setting) but did think it need a little more time in the oven.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grimthwacker posted:

The Pixel Remaster just flies by. You never have to grind for levels, except like for the Loadstone Cavern and the final boss.

Why would you need to grind for the loadstone cavern (unless you're just constantly running from everything)? Cecil shreds the Dark Elf fight and I'm pretty sure slow both works on it and stays in effect during the transition.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why would you need to grind for the loadstone cavern (unless you're just constantly running from everything)? Cecil shreds the Dark Elf fight and I'm pretty sure slow both works on it and stays in effect during the transition.

The Earth Crystal always felt like a pretty significant difficulty bump to me, the enemies continue their increased damaged output that started in the Underground Waterway except now you only have one healer with 90 max MP. Then you get to go through a dungeon with paper armor. I've never felt I had to grind to get through it but it's always noticeable.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

welcome posted:

The Earth Crystal always felt like a pretty significant difficulty bump to me, the enemies continue their increased damaged output that started in the Underground Waterway except now you only have one healer with 90 max MP. Then you get to go through a dungeon with paper armor. I've never felt I had to grind to get through it but it's always noticeable.

If you're ever having trouble with the random encounters in 4 you CAN just run. Especially during Tellah's duration as your only caster, your resources might be tight enough you can't just use him to nuke every encounter (he CAN nuke 4-6 which is usually enough to at least get between save points- FF4 is one of the most forgiving games in the franchise to players who just blow through every random encounter thanks to how close save points are and how little Tents cost) and if you'd rather not bother, just flee. I used to do elaborate setups for the Magnetic Cave but anymore I just strip Cecil and Cid naked until the cutscene and hold down L/R because I can't be assed to remember to hang onto a bow for random equips for anyone but Rosa past Ordeals and the XP from a few random fights isn't worth the effort or time.

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Absolutely wild how easily and deftly DQ11 can flip the switch on the plot and go really heavy and impactful. Everything after the tournament until finding out your next steps with the Rainbough was loving superb, and it felt like they barely had to throttle the gas. Impressive.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't run from fights :colbert:

Besides, I need to recoup losses from buying all that expensive equipment leading up to that dungeon. Dark Elf always seems to throw me for a loop somehow anyway.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Grimthwacker posted:

I'd like to revisit the 3D remake at some point so I can play around with the Augment system; I never did that on my one playthough on the DS.

I guess the Augment idea was ok, but the execution was poor. You really need a guide to make it workable (ie, to get the actual good Augments). Arbitrary inscrutable mechanics are never a good thing.

Neither was the FPS in combat. It chugged like FF9, I hated it. The voice acting and cutscenes were cool, at least. I think one of the VAs (Kain, maybe?) was the same guy that did Illidan in Warcraft 3/WoW.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Barudak posted:

Yaklad: Infiniwe is reviewing quite well. Excited to take a vacation with best buds from boring normal Tokyo to some hosed up country called "America"

It took me longer than it should have to figure out what game you actually meant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ofecks posted:

I guess the Augment idea was ok, but the execution was poor. You really need a guide to make it workable (ie, to get the actual good Augments). Arbitrary inscrutable mechanics are never a good thing.

Neither was the FPS in combat. It chugged like FF9, I hated it. The voice acting and cutscenes were cool, at least. I think one of the VAs (Kain, maybe?) was the same guy that did Illidan in Warcraft 3/WoW.

Nah, you got a lot of absolutely excellent Augments without that.

Of the 'big name' arguments, the ones you get through normal play: Counter, Draw Attack, Reach, MP+50%, Twincast, Bardsong, Focus, Level Lust, Piercing Magic, ????'s Love, HP+50%, Bless, Safe Travel, Treasure Hunter and Limit Breaks. (In addition to the less useful stuff.)

The ones locked to giving Augments to another party member: Dualcast, Fast Talker, Cry, Kick, Omnicasting and Phoenix. (Plus less useful stuff.)

Basically all you miss out is some incredibly OP stuff for your mages (who are fine without it) and even that assumes you're going in with prior knowledge of the game and are trying to min-max and never get augments to anyone who leaves the party, even though the game goes out of its way to give you augments that fit the party members who leave. (i.e: Edward gets Item Lore after a plot event with his dead wife and it mixes perfectly with Salve.)

People kind of overstate how much the Augment thing needs to be minmaxed. Even if you 'mess up' and don't get the super OP augments the ones you'd normally toss away to get those OP ones are still extremely good!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 24, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the larger issue with the FF4 DS remake is that it came out during the terrible faux-shakespearian era of squeenix TLs so the entire thing is almost unreadable.

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Bro how am I going to get into a fight with Metal Slash and Oozebruiser with 3 metal slimes and only kill one, they barely even helped! :negative:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

the larger issue with the FF4 DS remake is that it came out during the terrible faux-shakespearian era of squeenix TLs so the entire thing is almost unreadable.

A real mummer's farce of a translation huh?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
FF4 DS is probably my favorite to play since it has probably the hardest standard gameplay and while awkwardly implemented the augments do result in being able to do some really silly setups to try to get one over on said harder combat

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

great username posted:

Bro how am I going to get into a fight with Metal Slash and Oozebruiser with 3 metal slimes and only kill one, they barely even helped! :negative:

The high crit low accuracy attacks like Thunder Thrust are your friend when it comes to the metal monsters.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's just funny to me that square enix had the four heroes of light team do all their 3d ds rpg remakes so all of them have this incredibly elaborate hard mode rebalancing going on cause that team just loving loved doing this stuff i guess

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

4 Heroes of Light owned and needs an HD remake.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the ds SaGa remakes are insane cause while they did redesign SaGa 3 to use normal SaGa mechanics they also made both it and 2 like 3x harder so they're absurdly difficult to get through if you aren't a SaGa minmax master now. tricking so many people into playing the "newest" version of these games and then slamming them in the face with boss fights that stomp you in two seconds if you didn't understand how espers work

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Ofecks posted:

The voice acting and cutscenes were cool, at least. I think one of the VAs (Kain, maybe?) was the same guy that did Illidan in Warcraft 3/WoW.

This was the time when Liam O'Brien, Yuri Lowenthall and Karen Strassman were everywhere. I liked Rydia's voice actress, Caroline Macey, and I was glad she came back for WoFF.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Mr. Locke posted:

If you're ever having trouble with the random encounters in 4 you CAN just run. Especially during Tellah's duration as your only caster, your resources might be tight enough you can't just use him to nuke every encounter (he CAN nuke 4-6 which is usually enough to at least get between save points- FF4 is one of the most forgiving games in the franchise to players who just blow through every random encounter thanks to how close save points are and how little Tents cost) and if you'd rather not bother, just flee. I used to do elaborate setups for the Magnetic Cave but anymore I just strip Cecil and Cid naked until the cutscene and hold down L/R because I can't be assed to remember to hang onto a bow for random equips for anyone but Rosa past Ordeals and the XP from a few random fights isn't worth the effort or time.

My first time through 4 I took this too far and ran from drat near every encounter between Mt. Ordeals and the end of the game. The end of the game came in Giant of Babel when I softlocked on the four fiends rematch.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
FF4 is the first JRPG I played. I remember renting it from a video rental store (as the Final Fantasy 2 American release) and 12 year old me had no idea how to play it. There was a save file on it that was right before the final boss, so I loaded that but went the wrong direction so didn't really see much. I rented it again a few months later, because I was getting more and more intrigued and that savegame was still on it! This time I went the other way but died miserably to Zemus.

I decided to ask for it for Christmas and it's probably still a top 3 JRPG for me to this day.

I think the best version is the PSP Complete Collection because it feels like a more modern upgrade without losing the feel of the original. The 3D ones are complete rear end.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Grimthwacker posted:

I don't run from fights :colbert:

Besides, I need to recoup losses from buying all that expensive equipment leading up to that dungeon. Dark Elf always seems to throw me for a loop somehow anyway.

I'm even more confused as to how you need to grind then (aside from buying a bunch of gear you don't need). Cecil will the Legend sword rips it apart even if you have everyone else defending and healing.

The Colonel posted:

the ds SaGa remakes are insane cause while they did redesign SaGa 3 to use normal SaGa mechanics they also made both it and 2 like 3x harder so they're absurdly difficult to get through if you aren't a SaGa minmax master now. tricking so many people into playing the "newest" version of these games and then slamming them in the face with boss fights that stomp you in two seconds if you didn't understand how espers work

Did they change how martial arts work in the SaGa 2 remake or is it still progressive damage increase as the number of uses drop, resulting in massive damage for the last attack and significant damage for the last 2-3? I remember wondering why those moves were useless on the GB and never did their listed damage since I don't recall the game or manual mentioning the mechanic and only listing the damage range for the final hit.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i finished ff4. what a weird final boss. counters your summoner making her useless, and she's better off dead so that all-curaja heals more effectively for the people who don't get countered. with her dead the boss was actually not very difficult, with her alive it was near impossible

but that again speaks to the weird party structure of 4 and how it never felt properly balanced the entire way. and also just, like characters never develop much beyond getting spells, so Cecil is still just plain regular attacking at the final boss

i've now started golden sun, which i've never played much of because i kept getting put off by the storytelling style with the squishing sprites and the constant head shaking. i still am put off by it, but i'm getting through it by now using emulation turbo. i've gotten to the mercury lighthouse and it's been just under 3 hours, but the in game timer says 3:40 lol. so much time saved already

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I started Digital Devil Saga after not playing it since like 20 years ago and I did not remember the encounter rate being this bad

EDIT: The number of times I've gotten out of a battle, taken a step, and gotten into another battle is way higher than I remembered. It's a good thing it and DDS2 have an amazing soundtrack because sheesh

Mr. Trampoline fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 25, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is a point in the second game where I think you might save 30 minutes in one single conversation

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I started Digital Devil Saga after not playing it since like 20 years ago and I did not remember the encounter rate being this bad

EDIT: The number of times I've gotten out of a battle, taken a step, and gotten into another battle is way higher than I remembered. It's a good thing it and DDS2 have an amazing soundtrack because sheesh

This was my experience as well.

That and forgetting how much I dont like the boss design because it feels like the intention was "get rolled since you have no way of predicting the boss and must counter it somehow or RIP"

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I've always found Digital Devil Saga to be pretty forgiving if you cover your bases in terms of support magic and have good offensive coverage. One thing that definitely helps once you get more than 3 party members is keeping someone on reserve kitted out with every type of Void skill to sub in if needed, a lot of people miss you can change your party line up mid battle and it's a very under rated defensive option.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's on the easier side of the Megaten spectrum for sure. The final bosses of both are total pushovers too

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I actually lost to the final boss of DDS1 on my first attempt in my first playthrough because I was kitted out with only Almighty skills for the bonus bosses and the final boss is the one thing in the game that resists Almighty skills. Theoretically I could have won but it would have taken over an hour so I just threw and came back with a more balanced loadout.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah they both have simple elemental gimmicks that trivialize them when you build for it. Too bad they aren't harder because their final themes go hard as hell

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Mr. Trampoline posted:

It's a good thing it and DDS2 have an amazing soundtrack because sheesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2q731UxQ0

One of the best tunes in the entire extended MegaTen series, probably in the Top 3 songs.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The 7th Guest posted:

i finished ff4. what a weird final boss. counters your summoner making her useless, and she's better off dead so that all-curaja heals more effectively for the people who don't get countered. with her dead the boss was actually not very difficult, with her alive it was near impossible

but that again speaks to the weird party structure of 4 and how it never felt properly balanced the entire way. and also just, like characters never develop much beyond getting spells, so Cecil is still just plain regular attacking at the final boss

i've now started golden sun, which i've never played much of because i kept getting put off by the storytelling style with the squishing sprites and the constant head shaking. i still am put off by it, but i'm getting through it by now using emulation turbo. i've gotten to the mercury lighthouse and it's been just under 3 hours, but the in game timer says 3:40 lol. so much time saved already

In t SNES version, Rydia's summons can actually make big bang hit harder. Z has a pretty complicated script behind the scenes. None of which was ever obvious to me until watching Free Enterprise randomizer tournaments.

If you want a peek behind the curtain -- https://wiki.ff4fe.com/doku.php?id=zeromus_script

No idea what happens in PSP.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Rascyc posted:

In t SNES version, Rydia's summons can actually make big bang hit harder. Z has a pretty complicated script behind the scenes. None of which was ever obvious to me until watching Free Enterprise randomizer tournaments.

If you want a peek behind the curtain -- https://wiki.ff4fe.com/doku.php?id=zeromus_script

No idea what happens in PSP.

To be fair, unless you're grinding out quite a lot of levels, Rydia probably isn't going to even survive a regular Big Bang, let alone a summon-boosted one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ace Transmuter posted:

To be fair, unless you're grinding out quite a lot of levels, Rydia probably isn't going to even survive a regular Big Bang, let alone a summon-boosted one.

You dont know what stubborn, college-aged me who just wanted to finally finish my most loathed final fantasy was capable of.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

Zeromus is fun for shenanigans, at least in the original versions, since there's back-end weirdness in the scripts and with proper timing you can nerf the damage dealt by Big Bang simply by provoking the proper counter - Flare (Nuke) hits hard on its own but has the smallest multiplier attached to it, so when Zeromus has Big Bang queued you can provoke a Flare counter and significantly weaken the Big Bang. You can also bypass the self-heals by reflecting spells, since Zeromus only checks for direct attacks (reflected spells are not considered direct). Of course as a kid I didn't understand any of that and cast all my most powerful spells freely including Holy, and just barely scraped through in the end, with everybody constantly tossing items to heal or pick up downed members.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ace Transmuter posted:

She should survive the first. It's pretty easy to accidentally 'nerf' the first big bang in casual play - summon magic will do it because he starts in the 'virus' phase off the start. It's the second big bang that you will most assuredly accidentally boost and yeah that's the big one that will wipe half the party and make you sand bag.

Honestly it was pretty clever of them in a twisted sort of way lol

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I just remember as a kid when the theme music came on when the fight begins before you throw the crystal and your friends start helping everyone up I wanted to run through a fuckin' wall I was so hyped.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ImpAtom posted:

4 Heroes of Light owned and needs an HD remake.

If they do this maybe they can get rid of the loving awful auto-balancing - bosses get stronger as you level up. Nowhere is this communicated. You also find an item that increases the xp you gain. It's essentially a 'very hard' mode, but of course you don't realize that because who'd be stupid enough to put that in a game...?

Anyway by the time I reached the final boss he could use a move that did 9999 damage to my entire party and the only way to survive was to go through the four extra-hard dungeons end-game dungeons, since they raised your gem/equipment max level, but after beating I needed to grind all my stuff up to the new maximum level (because all the bosses hit like absolute trucks due to the aforementioned 'balance'), and I said gently caress that.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Anno posted:

I just remember as a kid when the theme music came on when the fight begins before you throw the crystal and your friends start helping everyone up I wanted to run through a fuckin' wall I was so hyped.

I'm in my 40s and felt the same way when the orchestral version hit in the PR version.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Ornamented Death posted:

I'm in my 40s and felt the same way when the orchestral version hit in the PR version.

Oh I’m sure I would, too. Crossing the bridge for the first time in FF1 and getting that sick art while the text scrolls and the theme plays is like a core, formative memory for me. Probably the moment where my love of video games and fantasy began.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Imagine that but also if it was on a faulty disc so each battle could take up to several minutes to load. Some level up/menu screens also.
:negative:
I still like that game somehow due to its very cool vibes and music. DDS1 is probably my favorite regular battle theme in the franchise, I just really like that drum intro coming in.

Endorph posted:

Oh dear I always thought that was limited to only the "Ivalice" games.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 25, 2024