Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

I doubt they are hiding anything (could very easily be wrong) but they probably don't have a government mandated process for retaining and distributing that information like they do with BBP and chemicals. This is probably them not wanting to do work and banking on you being too lazy to fill out the paperwork to make them do work.

Do it though, cause gently caress em.

It just seems weird that it isn’t a memo like “hey guys we found this, here’s the report, we are mitigating and taking care of business” instead of them immediately telling me to FOIA when I asked.

They haven’t been completely opaque about it, but it just struck me as odd to add a layer to the request.

And I’ve already made the request, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Meant to post this several days ago, but we needed to get our kid out of his toddler bed and into a real bed, so I made him a new bed frame. The bed finally arrived so I was able to assemble the whole thing. Nothing special, but did give me a project to do last year.

I also made an edge-grain cutting board, which is something I've been meaning to do for a while for my wife. It turned out ok, I had a hard time getting it to be perfectly flat, so I ended up putting it on little rubber feet. It's pretty big 15"x21". I don't have a planer wide enough to do the whole thing, and it seemed when I took my hand planer too it that I could never get it nice and flat all the way across, but I got it good enough for a cutting board.

I think I'm going to focus on making a bunch of picture frames now because I have a fair amount of scrap wood that could easily be cut up for frames, and those are generally quick and easy projects to do. I'm trying to limit the big furniture projects as those take many weeks and it's hard for me to get enough free time to do them.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Nice. I respect those of you who can woodwork well.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

look at this sick filth

https://x.com/iamtherog/status/1750218215718826225?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

Same. I’ve tried a couple of different projects and I’m Very Bad at it. My girlfriend’s dad is retired and built himself a nice little woodshop that he spends a lot of time in and the poo poo he creates is crazy.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Silly Burrito posted:

(yes, directed at BiaB)

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

It just seems weird that it isn’t a memo like “hey guys we found this, here’s the report, we are mitigating and taking care of business” instead of them immediately telling me to FOIA when I asked.

They haven’t been completely opaque about it, but it just struck me as odd to add a layer to the request.

And I’ve already made the request, for sure.

The response will basically be:

Dear Requestor,

Please see below for the information you requested:

[REDACTED]

Thank you.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

The response will basically be:

Dear Requestor,

Please see below for the information you requested:

[REDACTED]

Thank you.

Actual :lol:

How’s the full time medic gig going?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Some good cringe content coming from the Athletics relocation conference:

https://twitter.com/MattOrtega/status/1750238352379666434

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Kalli posted:

Some good cringe content coming from the Athletics relocation conference:

https://twitter.com/MattOrtega/status/1750238352379666434

Man, can’t believe starving a beloved franchise for three decades, trampling every ounce of good will they’d earned by winning fairly consistently in spite of their lack of resources, and then moving them a town with no appetite or history for said franchise went over like a wet fart.

:rip: Oakland A’s, we had good times and I wish we could still be friends

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

LeeMajors posted:

Man, can’t believe starving a beloved franchise for three decades, trampling every ounce of good will they’d earned by winning fairly consistently in spite of their lack of resources, and then moving them a town with no appetite or history for said franchise went over like a wet fart.

Seriously sucks. I've been all in on the Dodgers ever since the move was finalized.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

I could never get it nice and flat all the way across, but I got it good enough for a cutting board.

I think I'm going to focus on making a bunch of picture frames now because I have a fair amount of scrap wood that could easily be cut up for frames, and those are generally quick and easy projects to do. I'm trying to limit the big furniture projects as those take many weeks and it's hard for me to get enough free time to do them.

Great job on the cutting board. And yes, making it flat in all directions using hand planes is A Skill. I've made two now and I'm proud to say that they do sit flat on both sides, BUT that involved literally like ten hours of loving planing. Each. It was suuuuch a pain in the rear end. I made a much bigger rectangle flat this year though so it was worth it to figure the gently caress out "how to make flat using handplanes" which just did not sink in from solely watching youtubes, I had to actually do it, repeatedly.

Picture frames are good projects although another struggle is getting perfect mitered corners. My first frame had small gaps, not big enough for other people to notice really, but I saw them.

e. it probably wasn't really 10 hours, but it felt like it. I'd get frustrated and walk away and come back to work on in the next evening. Having christmas as a deadline in both cases is the only reason I got them done. I'm not making another without an actual planer, I think. I love working with handplanes but I don't have a big perfectly flat surface other than my table saw top, which isn't ideal for doing this work on. I also don't have the right setup like a workbench with an end vise. So it's a lot of loving around with F clamps and trying to plane around them.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 24, 2024

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Great job on the cutting board. And yes, making it flat in all directions using hand planes is A Skill. I've made two now and I'm proud to say that they do sit flat on both sides, BUT that involved literally like ten hours of loving planing. Each. It was suuuuch a pain in the rear end. I made a much bigger rectangle flat this year though so it was worth it to figure the gently caress out "how to make flat using handplanes" which just did not sink in from solely watching youtubes, I had to actually do it, repeatedly.

Picture frames are good projects although another struggle is getting perfect mitered corners. My first frame had small gaps, not big enough for other people to notice really, but I saw them.

e. it probably wasn't really 10 hours, but it felt like it. I'd get frustrated and walk away and come back to work on in the next evening. Having christmas as a deadline in both cases is the only reason I got them done. I'm not making another without an actual planer, I think. I love working with handplanes but I don't have a big perfectly flat surface other than my table saw top, which isn't ideal for doing this work on. I also don't have the right setup like a workbench with an end vise. So it's a lot of loving around with F clamps and trying to plane around them.

You and I have similar problems where my workbench is not great, and also not flat, so my references aren't great. This is what I get for working out of my garage that also still has a car parked in it when I'm not working there. I also have the same challenges with mitered corners, but I usually get them good enough for me. I'm not selling these things or anything, so I accept minor gaps. One thing I learned a long time ago when I took a class is to cut it close, and then use a belt sander (not the hand held kind) to sand it down to the exact dimension you need. This helps smooth out any cut marks and get you to an exact 45 degree miter. Problem is for me is that I don't have a belt sander, so I either accept the tiny gaps or I try to create some jig to use my hand tools. gently caress, maybe I'll break down and buy a small belt sander. The curse of the woodworking hobby is always finding some other tool you think you need.

Also, in general my poo poo is not all that great. I almost never make things for other people because I am very self-conscious of the flaws in my work. I just don't have the time to make things perfect, so I've come to accept the flaws, and I'm ok with them because it's just going in my house.

You're stuff looks good Leper, nice work.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey thanks! Yeah I do actually have a belt sander, the benchtop kind, and I struggle with it because it has a platen behind the sandpaper but the belt itself doesn't perfectly lay flat, so you will round corners a little as you press into it. I may just need to fiddle with it more. It was inexpensive, and poor fitment is just sorta part of the territory. I may have to make a custom platen thing myself.

The cutting boards were gifts, one for my stepdad and one for my wife's dad, and part of my problem now is I feel bad I haven't made gifts for a bunch of other close family members yet. But I don't want to make more of those. They came out great, but were way more work than I expected. If I had a big drum sander or planer with a wide enough working area they'd have been trivial, and all the ones you see people selling at farmers markets and the like have been made with a drum sander.

But the work of learning to edge glue boards together and then make them flat using only hand tools does pay dividends. I'm far more confident with my number 7 and number 8 now than I used to be. They're not just for edge jointing! And I'm determined to fix up my old wooden jack plane because it's so much lighter than my metal #5 or 6. Just another project but I really do like fixing up old hand tools.

I am working in my garage and I have a big 4x4 welding table my stepdad and I made that was "good enough" for welding, but the top is not flat and it's too low for woodworking. But if I want a proper woodworkers/joiner's bench I am gonna need to do something with this table because it's the only space available. Maybe outside on the patio but that means getting the patio roof fixed so it stops leaking. Which we gotta do anyway. But this is just one example of how my hobby projects get backlogged by my house projects and then a decade has gone by and I still don't have the workshop setup I want. So maybe I need to just say gently caress it and get that table out even if it's gonna get ruined by water.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I also made an edge-grain cutting board, which is something I've been meaning to do for a while for my wife. It turned out ok, I had a hard time getting it to be perfectly flat, so I ended up putting it on little rubber feet. It's pretty big 15"x21". I don't have a planer wide enough to do the whole thing, and it seemed when I took my hand planer too it that I could never get it nice and flat all the way across, but I got it good enough for a cutting board.

That's incredible work, nicely done, my friend. Reminds me of a beautiful oak cutting board that my former sister-in-law gave me for Christmas several years ago (that I miss terribly, because my ex-wife kept it when I moved out).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

if it's any consolation, Timby, oak is not ideal for cutting boards, it has an open pore structure. I mean it's very pretty, but bird has properly used something like cherry or maple (with the chatoyancy I am leaning maple) along with walnut accents there. I know money is super tight for you now but when you are back on your feet and can afford one, you can get a nice side or endgrain board made of maple or similar and it'll last you a lifetime.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yes it's maple with walnut. My lumber yard I frequent had some 1x2 boards on sale, and they're surfaced four sides (S4S) so it meant I didn't need to spend a bunch of time planing them. I just cut them to length, glued and then just had to plane and sand to get it flat because it seems I can never glue up a bunch of boards without screwing it up a little bit. I do too much watching woodworking reels on instagram, so I try to learn their tricks, but those people are working in full professional shops with tools I'll never own.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yes it's maple with walnut. My lumber yard I frequent had some 1x2 boards on sale, and they're surfaced four sides (S4S) so it meant I didn't need to spend a bunch of time planing them. I just cut them to length, glued and then just had to plane and sand to get it flat because it seems I can never glue up a bunch of boards without screwing it up a little bit. I do too much watching woodworking reels on instagram, so I try to learn their tricks, but those people are working in full professional shops with tools I'll never own.

Hey, for what it's worth, it looks great.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It really does. And boards warp. No matter what you do, if you cut a board it's going to move at least a little. So even the pros have to run their poo poo through a planer after doing a glueup unless they do some extra poo poo to force them inline, such as a breadboard construction or using dominos or poo poo like that.

BTW you guys are gamers, I have noticed in recent games that they're starting to include authentic old-timey woodworking stuff. In Witcher 3 there's a guy in one of the little towns who is using a wood plane to plane a plank, and in baldurs gate 3 I keep finding a "table" that is actually a joiner's bench with a bunch of square holes on top for holdfasts. Makes me feel good to see that attention to detail.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Kurgarra Queen posted:

I’m a Paradox girl, but Hearts of Iron interests me least, honestly.

Same. I'll laser focus on a Paradox game and put 60 hours into it over the course of a couple weeks multiple times a year, but I don't remember exactly what stopped me from doing the same with HoI4 when I saw it was on Game Pass.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I need to get back into Victoria 3

This is on my Steam wishlist as the next one to suddenly lose a bunch of time to.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

My fave social media trend is content creators doing DIYs or remodeling projects where they brag about how little it cost and you the viewer can do it too!!! Only $120 in materials!!! <shocked YouTube face>

And then it turns out they have tens of thousands of dollars worth of woodworking equipment in a personal garage-turned-wood-shop.

Cool, very DIY, thanks. Liked and subscribed.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

My fave social media trend is content creators doing DIYs or remodeling projects where they brag about how little it cost and you the viewer can do it too!!! Only $120 in materials!!! <shocked YouTube face>

And then it turns out they have tens of thousands of dollars worth of woodworking equipment in a personal garage-turned-wood-shop.

Hahaha I have the same reaction to some cooking videos.

You too can make restaurant quality food for just 10 dollars.

You'll need a Blender and a stand mixer. Pulls out 2.5k worth of appliances.

You can make do with a ninja cup blender and some elbow grease but still.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

This was always my dad's chuckle at This Old House or New Yankee Workshop stuff on PBS. He still watched it a bunch, but would joke about "oh yeah, real easy Norm, let's not count that enormous shop you've got there."

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
HARBAUGH

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thinking about buying a gun.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Hell yeah brother, congrats

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Cavauro posted:

The juxtaposition of these two posts is :discourse:.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Congrats, hopefully you can be the new Lions.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Cavauro posted:

Guns R Fun

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

LeeMajors posted:

When I moved to Oakland, I was very excited to have three professional, major sports teams to take my (then unborn) children to when they got old enough.

Anyway, Disney on Ice still runs here.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
so I guess I should have let that last bit of onion go instead of trying to use my mandolin like a paring knife

"If I go slow I won't cut myse-"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

so I guess I should have let that last bit of onion go instead of trying to use my mandolin like a paring knife

The blade hungers for blood, and blood it shall have.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Intruder posted:

Noooo, sorry about your fingers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've never cut myself with a mandolin, and I only feel safe bragging about that because I currently don't own one. I absolutely know if I had one and mentioned that in the thread I'd be in the ER tomorrow.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Intruder posted:

Oh nooooooooo. That's pretty similar to how I hosed my hand up with a mandolin, only difference is that I was using it on a parsnip.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I need to replace the built-in cutting boards in my counter (they slide out like drawers) and really want to make my own, but I'm not sure I have the patience. Are the ones you guys made just glued on edge and that's enough? Or do you do any kind of joining?

LeeMajors posted:

Actual :lol:

How’s the full time medic gig going?

Honestly, I'm loving it. The schedule rocks, the calls have a decent mix of complex and easy where I'm not constantly freaking out, and the volume is tolerable. We'll see how I feel in 10 years, but overall best career move I've made.

The only downside is I had to quit my part time fire gig because my city won't let me do separate job titles for the same employer, but I'm guessing that'll change in a few years when fire staffing starts to suffer from attrition. Well, that and the paycheck.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I need to replace the built-in cutting boards in my counter (they slide out like drawers) and really want to make my own, but I'm not sure I have the patience. Are the ones you guys made just glued on edge and that's enough? Or do you do any kind of joining?

Just glued. There’s enough surface area usually to hold it all together. Have to make sure you use the waterproof wood glue, Titebond III.

Cutting boards aren’t that hard to put together, it’s the getting them flat part that sucks. Get some mineral oil and apply liberally once you’re done.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

I actually did the thing and got cut resistant gloves to fight against the mandolin, although I haven't had cause to use the mandolin since then. I'm hoping they will save me from this fate.

I use the guard that came with mine but it always feels like I'm wasting food because you can't get everything cut up and it's so very hard not to think--well I can get a little more out of this.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I have bad news for you guys. The Ted tv show is really loving funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Like, the bear? they made a tv show for it?