Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
So anyone who has Transmetal 2 Megatron, can you help me out? It feels like putting the chest on is going to snap it. And then trying to do the legs feels like I'm ALSO going to snap it. What am I doing wrong? Why do toys do this where it feels like you're going to bend them into their breaking point? :(

Update: I got it transformed to dragon mode but the chest/neck area does not seem to peg in. I feel like there are pegs/slots there the instructions mention but I do NOT see them.

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I remember there being a trick to it that wasn't really in the instructions... unfortunately I had to put most of last years's robots in storage already due to space concerns. The dragon arm and shoulder/throat assembly is kinda weird.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
New TF Haslab reveal on the 30th. The blurb about "fire up the engines" has me thinking it's probably Omega Prime.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Keldroc posted:

New TF Haslab reveal on the 30th. The blurb about "fire up the engines" has me thinking it's probably Omega Prime.

Not Animated Omega Supreme then?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So the other day I went digging around on eBay and found out that they did a reprint of the Transformers Generations book last year and ended up grabbing a copy, surprisingly it arrived today(I thought for sure it wouldn't come till next week), and yeah it's really nice, I'd have to double check the scanned copy of the original version I have but I think they added a whole lot of new stuff for the concept art section for this edition as there's a bunch of wacky concepts I'd never seen before, a couple personal favorites;

1) what can only be described as a Reverse Pretender, what at first seems to be a fairly standard robot lion pops open for a lion headed warrior to jump out while the back mounted guns flip forward to cover where the head used to be so both halves can keep fighting

2) an unmade concept for a 15 component combiner that pretty shamelessly steals from Dairugger XV/Vehicle Voltron in design(including being split into three subgroups of five each with a distinct theme)

3) a 1987 concept for a Dinobot combiner, a T-Rex, a Pterosaur, and a Stegosaur that combine into a Dragon

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Keldroc posted:

If the emphasis was on "Fire", maybe we'll get one of the Fallen that's always on fire?

Edit: Right, The Fallen is the Prime anti-Christ, not Nemesis.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Keldroc posted:

MP Guzzle confirmed.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldroc posted:

Could just as easily be Energon Prime, what with "Make sure you’ve filled up on Energon".

Although if we're in taint reaping territory anyway, a straight reissue of Fire Convoy/God Magnus but with hips that could actually support Omega's weight would be an all time release.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

drrockso20 posted:

So the other day I went digging around on eBay and found out that they did a reprint of the Transformers Generations book last year and ended up grabbing a copy, surprisingly it arrived today(I thought for sure it wouldn't come till next week), and yeah it's really nice, I'd have to double check the scanned copy of the original version I have but I think they added a whole lot of new stuff for the concept art section for this edition as there's a bunch of wacky concepts I'd never seen before, a couple personal favorites;

1) what can only be described as a Reverse Pretender, what at first seems to be a fairly standard robot lion pops open for a lion headed warrior to jump out while the back mounted guns flip forward to cover where the head used to be so both halves can keep fighting

2) an unmade concept for a 15 component combiner that pretty shamelessly steals from Dairugger XV/Vehicle Voltron in design(including being split into three subgroups of five each with a distinct theme)

3) a 1987 concept for a Dinobot combiner, a T-Rex, a Pterosaur, and a Stegosaur that combine into a Dragon

There's the original version of the book and then a Deluxe version of the book that released later on but that version was rarer and not scanned for a while. It's been reprinted several times since but for a while there was a big gap between printings and it was pretty hard to get

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
A 15 part combiner would be a glorious mess

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Phy posted:

Could just as easily be Energon Prime, what with "Make sure you’ve filled up on Energon".

Although if we're in taint reaping territory anyway, a straight reissue of Fire Convoy/God Magnus but with hips that could actually support Omega's weight would be an all time release.
I'm hoping for a Powermaster Prime, which could also fit the engine reference. Not so much the Energon one though. But I also wouldn't say no to an Omega Prime.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I'm sure someone's found a way to use every "izer" figure to make some sort of combining monstrosity.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Other posted:

There's the original version of the book and then a Deluxe version of the book that released later on but that version was rarer and not scanned for a while. It's been reprinted several times since but for a while there was a big gap between printings and it was pretty hard to get

Yeah I assume mine must be the deluxe version

Non Compos Mentis posted:

A 15 part combiner would be a glorious mess

Like I said the concept is very similar to Vehicle Voltron, indeed since the design was from 1987 it seems to show that the designers at Takara must have already been tinkering with the concepts that would become the Micro Masters because the designs in the concept art are very similar to what we'd see with those

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Phy posted:

Energon Prime is too small potatoes for a HasLab.

With the new post showing the guys next to Unicron with the caption that it's an "Omega level event," we're pretty much down to three primary candidates:

1. Primus, as the Omega Lock was his main Macguffin in the Cybertron series and they're posing next to Unicron, his counterpart
2. Omega Prime, and Unicron is just there as the most famous TF Haslab project
3. Energon Omega Supreme, which would be great because it would save me a ton of money not buying Unicron Trilogy crap

The capitalized Energon does make me think maybe #3 is the front runner, but considering Cybertron Metroplex it seems like that would just fit into the usual Titan Class stuff, so why do a HasLab for it? Also seems like you'd miss most of the GEEWUN crowd on that and funding it would be a tough job with just Unicron Trilogy fans. Animated Omega Supreme I suppose could also be an option even with the "Energon" bit since he did have an energy consumption issue.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I want to see a combiner made of other combiners.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ruddiger posted:

I want to see a combiner made of other combiners.

As someone who just got out of a theatrical showing of the second Gurren Lagann movie, yeah I can get behind that sentiment

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Keldroc posted:

Energon Prime is too small potatoes for a HasLab.

With the new post showing the guys next to Unicron with the caption that it's an "Omega level event,"

Which post is that, exactly? I've been looking around and all I could find is just posts with generic banners announcing the livestream and saying that the next haslab is going to be in it, as well as the "fire up your engines" and "make sure you're filled up on Energon" blurbs in the announcement. No pictures of previous haslabs or any new mention of an "Omega level event", unless I'm missing something.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

XavierGenisi posted:

Which post is that, exactly? I've been looking around and all I could find is just posts with generic banners announcing the livestream and saying that the next haslab is going to be in it, as well as the "fire up your engines" and "make sure you're filled up on Energon" blurbs in the announcement. No pictures of previous haslabs or any new mention of an "Omega level event", unless I'm missing something.

It was a hashtag in the insta posts of one of the hosts. I can't find the one with a screenshot of them hawking Unicron, that may have been deleted.

They've also via texts with fans backpedaled on a "no Optimuses" rule for HasLabs they offhanded mentioned on a previous livestream, adding fuel to the RiD Omega Prime fire. That orange/red lightning background could line up well with RiD or Energon packaging design. Very hard to say.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Probably never happen but a figure for IDW Thunderwing would be incredibly hype

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Haslab Omega Spreem.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i remember a very weird Lego set where it was Anakin suiting up to Vader.

give me one of those, for Transformers, for empurata. Senator Shockwave and Whirl come to mind.

as for combiners, from the comics and cartoons it seems the actual gestalt is a lot mentally slower than the individuals, which makes sense as it's 5 or 6 minds all working together but not in perfect sync. now imagine that for Grimlock and his band of merry marauders.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Their combined intellect would either underflow and we would have a hyper-intelligent Volcanicus, or Grimlock just overrides the other 5 because him Grimlock no bozo, him king.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

i remember a very weird Lego set where it was Anakin suiting up to Vader.

give me one of those, for Transformers, for empurata. Senator Shockwave and Whirl come to mind.

as for combiners, from the comics and cartoons it seems the actual gestalt is a lot mentally slower than the individuals, which makes sense as it's 5 or 6 minds all working together but not in perfect sync. now imagine that for Grimlock and his band of merry marauders.

autobot combiners never seemed to be stupid. it was just the Decepticons.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nodosaur posted:

Computron has choice paralysis, which in a combat situation can be just as bad as being stupid.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It just bothers me that they latched onto "big bad guy=dumb" for all the Con combiners. In my own universe the Constructicons effectively make a Professor Hulk-esque Devastator and Bruticus is razor focused on tactical means at the expense of everything else, if you want an idea of how I'd approach stuff.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Nodosaur posted:

In the cartoon the Autobot combiners never got to do much of anything besides appear to fight their Decepticon counterpart and then decombine into their component parts when that's done, comics they got a bit more though
That said, from Superion's techspec
"A fierce and frightful fighting machine. Suppresses thought of the five Aerialbots that comprise him, directs his thinking to one purpose: destruction of Decepticons. Cold, aloof. Flies at 800 mph, range 5800 miles. Can demolish a battleship with one blow. Uses electrostatic discharger rifle. Difficult for him to adapt to new situations or be innovative due to limited mental functions."
Intelligence:3
Defensor and Computron fair far better in comparison

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the Protectobots are all on board with the same mission (even if Blades kind of stands out a little) so Defensor has an easy time being an actual person

Same deal with Predaking

And I always liked Computron's characterization of "five jocks coming together to form a giant nerd"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Nodosaur posted:

I think Defensor was the only one that was really a functional "individual", but yeah, it's a shame they just went for "grrrr smash" for all the Decepticon ones.

IDWs approach of "we literally had to lobotomise every individual member of this combiner team and they still just want to destroy everything in their path" was an... interesting take.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Yea I was gonna say, Superion was the one Autobot combiner I remember being just a big brute. A lot of his lines were just angry grunts at Menasor iirc.

Compared to that, Devs was downright articulate. Big cocky son of a bitch.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was looking up Japanese themes to shows a little while back, and I was disappointed a bit by the Japanese Transformers theme. Not that it's bad, just that it's kinda dull compared to its contemporaries like Machine Robo or Zeta Gundam or even the Japanese dub of GI Joe. I think maybe they were trying to lean into a sneaky spy theme for transforming robots? The original American Transformers theme has such a weird and unique sound to it that just weirder over time, I was disappointed by the Japanese theme.

But then I got to wondering, since one of the ultimate versions of the American theme was the whole movie theme, did the Japanese release of the movie overdub that with their own theme in its own ultimate version? In fact, the entire movie is full of pop songs that the licensing of can get a bit weird for on top of the common desire to dub in your own language. Were those in the japanese release? I couldn't really find any answers, but I did find a promo of all Tokyo mourning the death of Optimus Prime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt7B0tCMkrM

Nodosaur posted:

That may also be from how usually we never see the Decepticon combiners outside of combat. If they formed Devastator in the middle of a construction job, maybe he'd be more thoughtful, but not when he's goin' Godzilla on a city.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Phy posted:

Yeah the Protectobots are all on board with the same mission (even if Blades kind of stands out a little) so Defensor has an easy time being an actual person

Hey, Blades knows if you cut bad guys up they have a much harder time hurting anybody thus job done.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I forgot about Superion. For some reason I always imagined him as like. A Miles Gloriosus type.

EDIT - does my take on Bruticus and Devastator seem interesting to you guys, at least?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I like Devastator as HULK SMASH because I like the idea that he was the prototype for the combining process, and it is a nice contrast to the (mostly) intelligent Constructions. Also the create/destroy duality.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I like Devastator as HULK SMASH because I like the idea that he was the prototype for the combining process, and it is a nice contrast to the (mostly) intelligent Constructions. Also the create/destroy duality.

ahhhh.

In my universe the combiner prototype is some random dudes that effectively got welded together by the Enigma, so both sides had time to refine the process, heh

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nodosaur posted:

I forgot about Superion. For some reason I always imagined him as like. A Miles Gloriosus type.

EDIT - does my take on Bruticus and Devastator seem interesting to you guys, at least?

IIRC Superion's first appearance in IDW was real boastful, maybe that's where you get it?

Your fan characterizations are fine, bud. I don't remember what your Combaticon personalities were like, but I've always seen Onslaught as one of the "how about we win this loving war" Decepticons where most of their side is ruffians and louts, so Bruticus being laser-focused on tactical goals seems appropriate

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I quite liked the Combaticons in the WFC games where they were basically the Decepticon A-Team and Onslaught was Hannibal with a stick up his rear end.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Phy posted:

IIRC Superion's first appearance in IDW was real boastful, maybe that's where you get it?

Your fan characterizations are fine, bud. I don't remember what your Combaticon personalities were like, but I've always seen Onslaught as one of the "how about we win this loving war" Decepticons where most of their side is ruffians and louts, so Bruticus being laser-focused on tactical goals seems appropriate

Thanks. I actually haven't gotten to fleshing the Combaticons out yet, but I did decide on alt modes for them. Onslaught is a truck carrying twin modified howitzers, Blast Off is a Dream Chaser "shuttle", Vortex is an osprey, Swindle is a military transport truck, and Brawl is an Abrams tank.

Onslaught is also a woman in this, as are Blast Off and Vortex.

EDIT - I'm also trying to come up with an extra member like I did with the Constructicons and Stunticons. Unfortunately, CW only provides Shockwave, who doesn't work on account of not being a gun here.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 25, 2024

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Probably never happen but a figure for IDW Thunderwing would be incredibly hype

I wonder if there's any chance of Thunderwing appearing in the Mayhem capsule. From the leaks, we know it'll have Bludgeon and Ruckus, and the only roster they've appeared in together is Thunder Mayhem.

The other members of that roster are also easy to see being included. The guy who leaked Bludgeon and Ruckus said that Hasbro has a Windsweeper mold sitting around from a cancelled Gen Selects release, and Spinister/Needlenose would just be straight repaints of their existing figures. That's only 5 figures though (the leak said 7), so maybe they'd include Thunderwing retooled from Skyquake/Dreadwing? It wouldn't be a bespoke IDW version of the character, but the only thing he's gotten since his 2010 Generations Deluxe was a Titan Master, so he's definitely overdue for some kind of representation.

If it is the Thunder Mayhem roster though, I think it's probably more likely that the extra 2 slots will go to random Junkions or something, the same way the Wreckers capsule threw in a couple of Fossilizers.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was looking up Japanese themes to shows a little while back, and I was disappointed a bit by the Japanese Transformers theme. Not that it's bad, just that it's kinda dull compared to its contemporaries like Machine Robo or Zeta Gundam or even the Japanese dub of GI Joe. I think maybe they were trying to lean into a sneaky spy theme for transforming robots? The original American Transformers theme has such a weird and unique sound to it that just weirder over time, I was disappointed by the Japanese theme.

But then I got to wondering, since one of the ultimate versions of the American theme was the whole movie theme, did the Japanese release of the movie overdub that with their own theme in its own ultimate version? In fact, the entire movie is full of pop songs that the licensing of can get a bit weird for on top of the common desire to dub in your own language. Were those in the japanese release? I couldn't really find any answers, but I did find a promo of all Tokyo mourning the death of Optimus Prime. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt7B0tCMkrM

Sadly, I think they just used the English versions of music, no dubbed versions or anything. The movie does have lots of extra grunts and sounds made by the characters so if you wanna hear Prowl scream while he dies then have I got the clip for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=holNeCZvRRE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

Thanks. I actually haven't gotten to fleshing the Combaticons out yet, but I did decide on alt modes for them. Onslaught is a truck carrying twin modified howitzers, Blast Off is a Dream Chaser "shuttle", Vortex is an osprey, Swindle is a military transport truck, and Brawl is an Abrams tank.

Onslaught is also a woman in this, as are Blast Off and Vortex.

EDIT - I'm also trying to come up with an extra member like I did with the Constructicons and Stunticons. Unfortunately, CW only provides Shockwave, who doesn't work on account of not being a gun here.

Would the 6th member be part of the combiner or just a part of the team but independent? You could steal a page from Prime's version of Soundwave/Laserbeak and have a UAV "spotter" for the other Combaticon's long range shots (and then turn into armor or something for Bruticus).