Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
I know the chargers always win the offseason, but goddamnit, this feels like an actually meaningful one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1750325735225725248?s=46

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

Jed York doesn't count?

Extremely Jim Harbaugh voice: Who? No.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

xbilkis posted:

Wasn't there some bumpy stuff with Michigan admin people too? Googling it looks like there were at least rumors that he and the AD didn't get along

Don't forget that the NCAA has been getting ready to show-cause him into oblivion for what feels like a year and a half, if not longer. Harbaugh is a hell of a coach, but drama-free is not a phrase I would use to describe him.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/JeffMcDev/status/1750327814233227671?t=sCw9ybt5q3O6qOVCd7upng&s=19

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

drat, Mark Davis must’ve really hosed up the hiring process

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Timby posted:

Don't forget that the NCAA has been getting ready to show-cause him into oblivion for what feels like a year and a half, if not longer. Harbaugh is a hell of a coach, but drama-free is not a phrase I would use to describe him.

Yeah but on the other hand, the NCAA sucks

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

ok which goon is jim?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The only conclusion is the Harbaugh negotiation took that long because he was demanding control of the twitter account back

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Timby posted:

I'm not sure they'd show-cause him over recruiting stuff and the Connor Stallions stuff, had he stayed.

The NCAA has only really been applying it against coaches who were fired or left, in recent years, and they seem pretty scared of the blowback they'd get to apply it to a coach at a major, currently-successful institution.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Speaking of Stallions, how long until he shows up on the Chargers staff

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Timby posted:

Harbs telling the NCAA to shove it is easily one of his best qualities. They're loving feckless and no one should listen to them when they try to make examples over nitpicky bullshit

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Despera posted:

ok which goon is jim?

Mark Davis.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/AroundTheNFL/status/1750330908627128829

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Falcons get Slowik now I guess? Please no Billy 2 Bs.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
yeah NFL/NCAA will absolutely do nothing to harbaugh, at worst they'll do the pete carroll thing where they ban him for 2 years from college coaching, a very severe punishment for a man that just signed a fat NFL coaching contract.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

almost certainly they're hiring the baltimore guy right?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

almost certainly they're hiring the baltimore guy right?

I sure fuckin would

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1750348691561738442

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

Ya but he’s got the same last name as the qb—could this lead to confusion and friction within the building??

The Patriots at one point had Jack Jones, Jon Jones, Marcus Jones, and Mac Jones on the same roster. You might be on to something.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The chargers should fire their social media person. I hate them

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They didn’t have long breaks in between but Carroll, Belichick, and Reid all did better in their second stint. Harbaugh is a good coach because he’s psychologically committed to excellence and is generally willing to move on from things that aren’t working. I think he will be good, especially since QB is a solved problem.

Late to this but Vermeil would be the comparison if things worked out wouldn't it? Different circumstances of course since Harbaugh has been coaching somewhere or another all along, but he came back after decades and owned for a while.

Eh I guess Carroll is probably the better comp since he did the same thing Jim did, just without the success Harbaugh had earlier in the NFL.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Bismack Billabongo posted:

What they’re the best

Im not sure I fully understand what makes Jim Harbaugh a great coach, but hey he’s got a history of success. I find him more annoying than his brother, but he seems to know who to hire and knows how to manage big programs.

Joe Horitz getting a GM job would be great and well-deserved.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
do GMs have trees?

does it make sense to talk about the ozzie newsome managing tree?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I feel like this guy is what you would get if you asked AI to “generate a white football man”. If you told me this guy had any role for any team I don’t follow closely I’d be like “yeah makes sense”. GM, OC, equipment manager, anything

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Docjowles posted:

I feel like this guy is what you would get if you asked AI to “generate a white football man”. If you told me this guy had any role for any team I don’t follow closely I’d be like “yeah makes sense”. GM, OC, equipment manager, anything

He looks like a get back coach to me. Only job is to stop people crowding the sidelines and physically interfere with the head coach if he gets too hot.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Docjowles posted:

AI can’t make fingers but it can make thumbs

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

A big flaming stink posted:

do GMs have trees?

does it make sense to talk about the ozzie newsome managing tree?

I don't see why not. We talk about "Patriot way" management personnel. The ravens have been consistently good for a long time. That points to an excellent scouting process. Ozzie Newsome is clearly a "good" GM, how well do his people do when they leave?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

To me, that's preposterous.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

AndrewP posted:

Im not sure I fully understand what makes Jim Harbaugh a great coach
from what I've gathered this year, he cheats and runs a culture of such unabashed corruption that everyone then puts on a martyr act about how they're the real victims for getting caught so successfully that the media and fans all go along with it. So there's that?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ironic Twist posted:

AI can’t make fingers but it can make thumbs

:hmmyes:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Bismack Billabongo posted:

https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1750375189320548585?t=FU3wgIfBP-xZN17PMIPlug&s=19

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

CapnAndy posted:

from what I've gathered this year, he cheats and runs a culture of such unabashed corruption that everyone then puts on a martyr act about how they're the real victims for getting caught so successfully that the media and fans all go along with it. So there's that?

I mean, I'm not a Michigan fan, but the NCAA by-laws that made it "cheating" are so loving stupid that it's all basically pointless in the grand scheme of things.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

CapnAndy posted:

My brother in christ have you met literally all of college football?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
https://x.com/LosTalksPats/status/1750278177497534940?s=20

:chloe:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Canned Sunshine posted:

I mean, I'm not a Michigan fan, but the NCAA by-laws that made it "cheating" are so loving stupid that it's all basically pointless in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, I agree. On the other side you know it's cheating and you'd get in trouble if you got caught doing it. And you did it in the absolute dumbest way possible and left a clear paper trail that didn't even need any detective work to figure out.

The whole thing is so very stupid all the way around.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I love you all, TFF.

I always look forward to every new season with some optimism, but this will be the first time since Marty that I feel like my team is actually trying to win. I know they probably wont (especially in 2024), but I haven't felt like this in a long, long time.

:)

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I would be fine with McDaniels coming back as OC, although the chance of him becoming head coach through A Series of Unfortunate Events is highly concerning

Also he, Mayo and Kraft would have to all be on the same page regarding whatever the gently caress is happening at QB

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 25, 2024

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I, too, am interested in the #Flacons.

a neat cape posted:

I love you all, TFF.

I always look forward to every new season with some optimism, but this will be the first time since Marty that I feel like my team is actually trying to win. I know they probably wont (especially in 2024), but I haven't felt like this in a long, long time.

Ross, you're a good man and I respect you and your growth after however the blue hell long it's been since I became a TFF regular. I'm happy that you got your coach. Next step is for the team to move back to San Diego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

a neat cape posted:

I love you all, TFF.

My father is a Chargers fan, so I've always had a little bit of a soft spot for them. It's really cool to finally see Spanos do something right.