Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
My favorite white washing of Hiroshima was when the Eternals said it was all the work of one gay black space man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

kalel posted:

I won't, me and my politics have evolved far beyond the tepid moderate whinging that the daily show always was and won't be allowed to unshackle from

someone get this guy a medal!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I know the 2011 Thing has seen some minor reevaluation, from people trying to look at it without the baggage of the practical effects being buried and living in the shadow of a superior film. like there's definitely been some "well, I liked it :shobon:"s thrown out there

but, even as a big practical effects fan... like, I never got around to seeing Harbinger Down, either, because I heard it stank. practical effects are cool, but they're not more important than the movie being good

the main thing that made me not want to see 2011 was somebody told me it had a "10 little indians" structure, meaning a cast of characters getting killed off one by one like in a slasher movie, and that's... kind of exactly what the Carpenter film doesn't do? that's one of the things that's so great about it. it could have done that, but instead it has a much more unconventional structure that deliberately leaves the viewer without perfect knowledge. there's not a one monster sneaking around and picking people off thing, or even a clear web of infection from person to person. sometimes a guy disappears and, nobody noticed it when it happened, and now they just don't know where that guy is or what happened to him, so they have to go looking for him. I'm pretty sure we never find out what happens to Nauls. writing a Thing prequel like it's Alien... I dunno, it just sounds like some pretty basic bitch thinking

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gutcruncher posted:

My favorite white washing of Hiroshima was when the Eternals said it was all the work of one gay black space man

But he was kinda regretful, so..lesson learned I guess?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

henkman posted:

Meanwhile rob bottin and carpenter figured that poo poo out 40 years ago

To be fair how many practical effect movie workshops exist today compared to in the 80's?

Meanwhile it seems like there are so many CGI sweatshops in the world that they are fighting over contracts to the point where they are willing to go bankrupt just to be the lowest bidder on projects.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Vakal posted:

To be fair how many practical effect movie workshops exist today compared to in the 80's?

Meanwhile it seems like there are so many CGI sweatshops in the world that they are fighting over contracts to the point where they are willing to go bankrupt just to be the lowest bidder on projects.

Savini has his "school" in Pittsburgh, but yeah it's a shame watching movies like The Thing and The Howling and knowing where effects were going to end up.

The Terrifier series has steam because there is a decent amount of people that can still appreciate practical gore and monster effects

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

lobsterminator posted:

Those are acceptable American spellings.

This is an oxymoron

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Light Gun Man posted:

i think the recent/current American Godzilla movies state that nukes were first developed as an attempt to fight Godzilla. Kind of a weird take but I guess a fun idea.

No.

Castle Bravo was secretly setup to lure and then kill Godzilla rather than just a test, which of course didn't work. No one had any idea about Godzilla until after the war.

American Godzilla movies/shows aren't very good and there's plenty of other, accurate things to criticize them for.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

But he was kinda regretful, so..lesson learned I guess?

Did he do Nagasaki too?

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

he ran out of money that quick?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

No.

Castle Bravo was secretly setup to lure and then kill Godzilla rather than just a test, which of course didn't work. No one had any idea about Godzilla until after the war.

American Godzilla movies/shows aren't very good and there's plenty of other, accurate things to criticize them for.

yeah it's been awhile and my memory kinda sucks, sorry. sometimes I remember stuff in a movie being cooler than it actually was, oops!

I laughed quite a bit when I realized that Minus One kind of does some of the same stuff from the one I am misremembering but like wayyyyy fuckin better.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

They made 6 seven sequels?!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I thought this was just a joke but then I went to the website and it's real :aaaaa:

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I'm not sure I want to support Kevin "blood on his hands" Spacey.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Oh hell yeah

Vakal
May 11, 2008

First of May posted:

I'm not sure I want to support Kevin "blood on his hands" Spacey.

shhh... do you want to get murdered?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Spacey doing his absolute best to make sure people keep spreading the rumor that he had all his accusers killed. See folks, meth addition doesn't always look like fallen out teeth and skin scratched raw. Sometimes it looks like people who have completely burned out their brain's ability to have any sense of morality and thinking it's a good idea to build up a public image as some kind of killer.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
this tweet reply starts off as funny but it gets downright horrifying when you realize that someone, somewhere, in real time

in this actual plane of existence

will get paid actual currency to write a Hungry Hippos movie with that exact premise:gonk:

https://twitter.com/theworstfr/status/1750185480984113637?t=Orks42cPHTPn0q4qhQ3xiA&s=19

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

We should just kick out all the other women and only recognize the ones that worked on the high budget toy commercial. gently caress what’s her face from that one moon flower movie. Sounds masculine as gently caress, get that poo poo outta here, we can’t fail Mattel now!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
kevin spacey's handler is this dude who had a one hit wonder in 2000 ("when you look at her and she looks at me / she's got me thinking about her constantly" that one) and spent the next couple decades trying out other ventures and not finding much success. he was seen on the show "american inventor" in 2006 pitching his invention, a bowl on top of another bowl
he struck gold when his talent management company picked up spacey about a year before the allegations hit, and he's stuck by him ever since.
remember the "wait, who the gently caress would help him film this?" confusion after the initial christmas video? it was this guy. he can also be seen being the only person standing by spacey at his acquittal

everything spacey has done post-allegations makes a lot more sense to me when viewed through the lens of former rock star/failed bowl manufacturer evan lowenstein desperately trying to shore up his second taste of fluke success

Cubone fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 25, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tom Hanks in Finch was pretty drat good.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

tell me more about this bowl on top of another bowl

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

It's called the Enterprise D

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Space Kablooey posted:

I can't believe you forgot the commentary track they made in the hit game high on life produced by that Rick and Morty sex pest

I actually really like demon wind but considering the glut of really good FPS games you can buy atm, I'm not gonna play high on life even if it wasn't profiting roiland

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I would think having Kevin Spacey at your convention would be a major liability issue for the convention.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

kalel posted:

It's called the Enterprise Deez

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cubone posted:

kevin spacey's handler is this dude who had a one hit wonder in 2000 ("when you look at her and she looks at me / she's got me thinking about her constantly" that one) and spent the next couple decades trying out other ventures and not finding much success. he was seen on the show "american inventor" in 2006 pitching his invention, a bowl on top of another bowl
he struck gold when his talent management company picked up spacey about a year before the allegations hit, and he's stuck by him ever since.
remember the "wait, who the gently caress would help him film this?" confusion after the initial christmas video? it was this guy. he can also be seen being the only person standing by spacey at his acquittal

everything spacey has done post-allegations makes a lot more sense to me when viewed through the lens of former rock star/failed bowl manufacturer evan lowenstein desperately trying to shore up his second taste of fluke success

that bowl is pretty innovative

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I was trying to find the bowl in another bowl so I googled it and found this article where a guy complains about how stupid the bowl is and how the judges only liked his idea because he's already successful and famous

and at the bottom of that article, several years later, evan had to defend his honor :lmao:

Evan posted:

Evan Lowenstein's idea
And five years later, my idea is recognized as "The 14 Most Intriguing Objects at MoMA’s Design Store" You still think it's just because I'm good looking? :) https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-14-most-intriguing-objects-at-momas-design-store-89196936994.html I hope you're not 'truly deeply angered' by the nod for my invention. Best, Evan

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Improbable Lobster posted:

that bowl is pretty innovative

oh hey evan

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Pretty sure that’s part of Sana’s drawing song

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I would think having Kevin Spacey at your convention would be a major liability issue for the convention.

It's a monster convention apparently according to the name. So I just assume its only for and about people who abuse other people.

I assume it's an FBI honeypot thing or something. :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol Rebel Moon is so bad

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MarcusSA posted:

lol Rebel Moon is so bad

Cruel new rebel wilson nickname

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 60 minutes!
rebel moon zombie

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Cubone posted:

I know the 2011 Thing has seen some minor reevaluation, from people trying to look at it without the baggage of the practical effects being buried and living in the shadow of a superior film. like there's definitely been some "well, I liked it :shobon:"s thrown out there

but, even as a big practical effects fan... like, I never got around to seeing Harbinger Down, either, because I heard it stank. practical effects are cool, but they're not more important than the movie being good

Yeah absolutely. We weren't denied a masterpiece because of executive meddling, at best the prequel would have been a mediocre flick with cool practical effects.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Getting real tired of the third movie in a series being a nostalgia wank of the first movie while pretending the second movie doesnt exist.

Anyway, Wonka suffers from the Being Very British syndrome. The new music just dont land like the classics and the classic songs feel tacked on, giving everything a real hokey feeling, like its a movie adaptation of a broadway adaptation. I hated everything about the oompa loompah, and especially hated how Wonka has a magical box that makes enchanted candies for him. Wonka himself is charming enough but lacks any personality beyond "im the most perfect and pure hearted person ever".
Also im pretty sure they implied he invented roofies.

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 25, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cubone posted:

You missed the part where this dude got divorced and then subsequently moved into Spacey’s house. IDK if they’re still living together or not.

There’s a good Todd In the Shadows one-hit-wonders video (I know, I named another YouTuber) about the Lowensteins. Two Jewish dudes who scored a bubblegum pop hit and spent the next decade and change trying to strike it big making Christian/Christian-adjacent music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

X JAKK posted:

Anyway, Wonka suffers from the Being Very British syndrome. The new music just dont land like the classics and the classic songs feel tacked on, giving everything a real hokey feeling, like its a movie adaptation of a broadway adaptation. I hated everything about the oompa loompah, and especially hated how Wonka has a magical box that makes enchanted candies for him. Wonka himself is charming enough but lacks any personality beyond "im the most perfect and pure hearted person ever".
Also im pretty sure they implied he invented roofies.

You're wrong on almost all of this but that's ok.

edit:

The opening song was good but I do think the other new songs were weak. I thought their use of Pure Imagination at the end was done well and felt earned. Hugh Grant was great as the Oompah Oompah. The fart cut to a flashback was hilarious. I enjoyed the weird machines and mechanical stuff Wonka used to make the machines. I'm always down for some weird Rube Goldberg type stuff.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 25, 2024