Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Cat Hassler posted:

:lol: that Trump doesn’t give a single poo poo about these dumb fucks who ruined their lives for him

tbf when this dude is out of prison he will be showered with cash from right-wing nuts all he has to do is beg for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

"Mr. Trump, there's been a few too many people who, as they say out here, have "copped to mad guilt" for you to declare yourself free of any wrongdoing"

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Pee-tv.org
:trumppop:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

mllaneza posted:

It had nothing to do with specifically medical malpractice, but plenty with stopping other people from recovering damages commensurate with their injuries. It's still a case of pulling the ladder up behind him.

No, it's not. Unless he made the same payout he got, in the same exact legal situation, impossible to get, it's not. Don't be a cultist.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Can't believe New Hampshire didn't Picky the Nikki.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm honestly optimistic and I try to dismiss cynicism. But I watch this and I'm like sitting here with a blank stare and I feel absolutely nothing on the inside.

Let Jesus fill that empty vessel. :goatsecx:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

feelix posted:

No, it's not. Unless he made the same payout he got, in the same exact legal situation, impossible to get, it's not. Don't be a cultist.

he capped damages for orders of magnitude more people than have trees fall on them, why are you defending the guy trying to go to war with Mexico

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I noticed something about Haley and now I can't un-notice it. Is there a name for when a person seems to always be either gritting or baring their teeth? It's like she can't stop clenching her jaw.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Gurning

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Rockman Reserve posted:

he capped damages for orders of magnitude more people than have trees fall on them, why are you defending the guy trying to go to war with Mexico
I'm not trying to defend anyone you dumb piece of poo poo. Medical malpractice and accidents are unrelated things. Its loving annoying to find out that the story about Abbott pulling the ladder up behind him for people who suffered the same kind of accident as himself, that we've all heard a million times, is a lie. It's an annoying reminder that lefties also do the following things:

1) make up lies
2) repeat and spread lies without fact checking them
3) double down and rationalize after they find out they've been spreading lies

I'm at least trying to avoid doing 3), and you should too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Catastrophe posted:

I noticed something about Haley and now I can't un-notice it. Is there a name for when a person seems to always be either gritting or baring their teeth? It's like she can't stop clenching her jaw.

I dunno but JLD nailed that clenched jaw thing on Veep , so yah, you're not imagining it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The dumb part about the Abbot thing is that what he did is WORSE than being a hypocrite and there's no reason to be misleading about it. He got a 9 million dollar settlement for a freak accident but capped damages caused by, e.g., a surgeon on coke, to 500k or whatever it is. The source of the injury doesn't have to be exactly the same for him to be a giant piece of poo poo, there's no reason to lie about it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

lmao

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

feelix posted:

I'm not trying to defend anyone you dumb piece of poo poo. Medical malpractice and accidents are unrelated things. Its loving annoying to find out that the story about Abbott pulling the ladder up behind him for people who suffered the same kind of accident as himself, that we've all heard a million times, is a lie. It's an annoying reminder that lefties also do the following things:

1) make up lies

https://www.texastribune.org/2013/08/04/candidate-faces-questions-turnabout-and-fair-play/

"most of the settlement came from noneconomic losses for pain and suffering and mental anguish, said Abbott’s former lawyer, Don Riddle of Houston."

"the conservative Texas Supreme Court, on which Abbott served from 1996 to 2001, began adopting tighter standards for losses that involved pain and suffering and mental anguish."

"Charles M. Silver, a professor at the University of Texas at Austin School of Law and co-author of the study that disputed claims made by proponents of medical malpractice caps, said changes in personal injury law and a “pro-defendant” posture in the judicial branch made such a large financial settlement substantially less likely.“Today that would be an extraordinarily high recovery,” Silver said. “It would be harder to get that type of award today.”"

I'm going to take the Texas Tribune's opinion over yours.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

I'll never stop thinking its funny as hell when people who claim to love freedom and live in a society that makes sure they (straight white "Christian" men) are as free as possible just flip the table over while they're winning for no discernible reason and say "No deal, actually! Put me in a cage and watch everything I do 24/7 and make sure you check my asscrack for contraband on the regular".

Only the best, very fine people. Many such cases.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/SpeakerJohnson/status/1750375316478931298

:stare:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Catastrophe posted:

She's just doing what we've been taught looks attractive on women

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Constitutional crisis in an election year, cool cool.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
So can I move to Texas before the war starts so I can legally flee somewhere else as a refugee?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Powershift posted:

Constitutional crisis in an election year, cool cool.

texas has been pulling this performative bullshit for years, including when trump was in office. all the courts have basically told them "you are welcome to try to back up this noise with action i suppose but remember what happened last time someone tried that."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Coolguye posted:

texas has been pulling this performative bullshit for years, including when trump was in office. all the courts have basically told them "you are welcome to try to back up this noise with action i suppose but remember what happened last time someone tried that."

Ignoring supreme court rulings seems like an escalation.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Catastrophe posted:

Resting grit face

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Mokotow posted:

Wait, hold up… 26000? In two years? As in, 13000 a year and those are just the rapes ending with pregnancies? I know it’s a hosed up state but that seems to be super high compared to, well, anywhere.

I'm several pages behind so excuse me if it has already been pointed out but he said that in September of 2022. That's how many there have been in only 16 months.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Watch Abbot start a war (with Mexico)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just straight up ignoring SCOTUS. Even the states that were told to redraw their election maps have been ignoring them.

What can be done about any of this from a fed standpoint? Cut all funding? Revoke licenses from businesses from operating in them?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
so does the texas national guard get their paycheck or job benefits from the state or fed?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

feelix posted:

1) make up lies

What if the doctor who hosed up my spine surgery is also an oak tree, then is it the same? Or is it the surgery part that makes it different? What if a doctor falls on me and breaks my spine?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Powershift posted:

Ignoring supreme court rulings seems like an escalation.

it isn't. they've done it before.

e: which, yes, should raise the question of why the american government would allow what amounts to openly mutinous vassals to operate in its borders, but since the alternative is a blood-soaked purge that would definitively weaken the rule of law and civility in the USA i feel it's understandable why they would be reluctant to use the full force technically accorded to them in this situation until those mutinous vassals make it absolutely necessary.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 25, 2024

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

emSparkly posted:

So can I move to Texas before the war starts so I can legally flee somewhere else as a refugee?

sorry no illegals now deported back to texas

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

One wood please, good sir!

The funniest part of the Ben Shapiro Home Depot business, to me, was that he had a plastic bag to hold his little bit of wood, and the receipt to a)prove he bought it from there, and b)return it and get his money back the second he had the photo taken.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

If an oak tree injures you that's grounds for extra damages because it'll deter oak trees from falling on people in the future, but if a drunk doctor maims your kid that's just a fluke accident and poo poo happens. I think I understand now.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ben Shapiro double bags his wood because he likes it to be joyless and without sensation.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

vaginite posted:

If an oak tree injures you that's grounds for extra damages because it'll deter oak trees from falling on people in the future, but if a drunk doctor maims your kid that's just a fluke accident and poo poo happens. I think I understand now.

It's the classic cases of "Dibs! No taksies backsies" and "gently caress you! Got mine!".

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

kazil posted:

Abbott trying to start some wars, cool cool cool

This idiot needs to get arrested already, even your own wackjob SC says you need to tone it the gently caress down.

Like open defiance of federal authority at this point.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

so does the texas national guard get their paycheck or job benefits from the state or fed?

the state, but there's precisely zero national guardsmen who are under any illusion about their ability to stand up to the regular army. if some insane politician calls to mobilize them to rebel probably a good 80% of them will be like "lol gently caress that you don't pay me enough to commit suicide"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Biden can just nationalize the Texas guard can't he?

Just arrest these wackjobs already, they are clearly wanting to cause an Insurrection/ war with Mexico

Like seriously Texas Republicans are the biggest loving wackjobs

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hollismason posted:

How many army bases are in Texas, it would be hilarious if they were like "Yeah we're closing all of those" and also we're going to stop giving out federal funds for highways, also all special infrastructure projects, etc..

Lol they would instantly whine so much if they were cut off from everything federal

gently caress sakes they aren't even capable of providing enough power to their state grid

Their little sucession would last for like 2 days maybe tops

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

A little tactic I learned from starcraft free-for-alls: when Texas secedes we should whisper them and say "hey let's gang up on Mexico" then when the war starts we just don't show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

vaginite posted:

A little tactic I learned from starcraft free-for-alls: when Texas secedes we should whisper them and say "hey let's gang up on Mexico" then when the war starts we just don't show up.

Tech up to Arbiters. Cloak your Archons into Galveston.