Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Far Cry 6 had these weird roguelite dlcs where you can play as Vaas, Pagan Min and Joseph Seed. Interesting idea, but the only villain with any semblance of charisma was Vaas imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I was extremely surprised to learn that Pagan Min has the same voice actor as Last of Us's Joel. Troy Baker has a ridiculously flexible voice.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been mostly liking my replay through Resident Evil Revelations 2, but I'm about at the end, and it kinda sucks that the final pair of chapters has my least favorite sequences in the game.

- The first chapter is mostly a timed escape sequence running out of an exploding facility. That's always gonna be an iffy setpiece idea for me, but this one just feels especially slow and janky. I even had my computer-controlled partner character fall off a cliff to a game over all on their own :suicide:

- The second one has a section in the middle that's just a big old multilevel cave area that's filled with poisonous fart gas. You spend way too long wandering around trying to unlock doors and turn on power switches, while dealing with zombies and hoping you don't push your luck too far and suffocate outside a safe zone.

Neither one's horrible, but they're the kinds of things that make me put the game down for a while to muster up the energy to get back into it every time I die, right when I should be ready to go full steam ahead into the ending.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Meowywitch posted:

I didn't get super far in New Dawn but if it lets you shoot Seed in the face at some point, that will be an improvement for sure
Weirdly specific hot coffee mode but you do you

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

bossy lady posted:

When far cry 5 ended I thought I did something to get a bad ending. I couldn't believe that's how they decided to let that story play out.

It's funny because they released Ghost Recon Wildlands the year before where if you100% the game, the ending changes so the bad guy gets away rather than killed.

Bogmonster posted:

the only villain with any semblance of charisma was Vaas imo
The voice actor sold the character so well that Ubisoft thought it was their writing that was good, so they kept trying that type of crazy character in so many of their later games and it just sucks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Hel posted:

It's funny because they released Ghost Recon Wildlands the year before where if you100% the game, the ending changes so the bad guy gets away rather than killed.

The voice actor sold the character so well that Ubisoft thought it was their writing that was good, so they kept trying that type of crazy character in so many of their later games and it just sucks.

He was really good in the live action shorts they did as well.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I understand why people hate it, but the ending of 5 isn't a complete non-sequitur and I sort of almost like it. But also so much of the rest of the game sucks and I'm pretty sure Joseph is written as having magic powers, which bugs me way more.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Whoever the gently caress it was who managed to hit me with a psychedelic blow dart or arrow or whatever it was, while I'm in the seat of my Cessna cruising along at 2000 ft definitely had magic powers, I'll say that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Don't be ridiculous, they aren't darts, they're bliss bullets. :rolleyes:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I tried to play the original Wipeout and I'm very glad I started with Wipeout 2097 all those years ago as if I'd started with the original it'd be my last Wipeout game. Along with generally not looking or feeling as good as 2097 and missing a lot of features, which is fair enough since it was a Playstation launch title, there's a heinous fake difficulty aspect to the Championship mode which you came across far too often in old racing games. Despite appearing as a standard championship mode where you gain points based on your position for each race, if you don't finish in the top 3 on any circuit, you don't 'qualify' for the next round and have to try again, fail too many times and it's game over. So despite winning the first 5 rounds, making it mathematically impossible for anyone else to win the championship, I cannot finish in the top 3 on the horrible final track no matter how hard I try and so I don't "qualify" to win. So glad we dropped this kind of thing.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

I understand why people hate it, but the ending of 5 isn't a complete non-sequitur and I sort of almost like it. But also so much of the rest of the game sucks and I'm pretty sure Joseph is written as having magic powers, which bugs me way more.

I didn't think it was a non-sequitur. I thought it was loving stupid.

Ubisoft caught something dumb from their Tom Clancy wing and it seeped into the rest of their garbage.

Presto posted:

I will join your piss baby idiot club.

All are welcome. Name tags are to the left of the coffee machines

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
We need a piss baby idiot club gangtag

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm extremely sorry to report that I thought that ending to Far Cry 5 was great. But yes the getting kidnapped with magic hallucinogens, repeatedly, definitely dragged the game down.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m playing Lethal Company with some friends and I’m a bit worried for them. I’ve had to explain things like ‘turn on the walkie-talkie in order for it to work’ and ‘look in the top corner of your screen to see the controls of something’ an unfortunate number of times.

I even saw one run into a wet spot and just do nothing as he sank to death.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

I’m playing Lethal Company with some friends and I’m a bit worried for them. I’ve had to explain things like ‘turn on the walkie-talkie in order for it to work’ and ‘look in the top corner of your screen to see the controls of something’ an unfortunate number of times.

But how good are they at Lethal Company?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hel posted:

Yeah it was weird and should have been reversed. You do everything and he just rats out his enemies and starts a new cartel. Like it is explicitly a bad ending.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

moosecow333 posted:

Are your friends neural networks

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Did you switch them on

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
If Far Cry 2 just turned down the respawn rate on enemy outposts, it would have been incredible. As is, you have to either commit to boat travel or going on the roads fighting a new group of generic guys every sixty seconds of travel or so. Sometimes you just want to get to the next mission and Far Cry 2 won't let you do it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

5 has a whole bunch of radio news messages about how the threat of nuclear war is kicking into overdrive and they... just pretty much never play.
There's a mission to get the radio coverage back across the county by taking out jammers... and they still don't play properly after you do that :v:

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah it was weird and should have been reversed. You do everything and he just rats out his enemies and starts a new cartel. Like it is explicitly a bad ending.
I get the feeling someone was trying to make a point about the War On Drugs and it got written out of the game and left with that.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

bawk posted:

the roadmap shows there's currently no merfolk main storyline (rebuilding the merfolk kingdom a la "let's get the town rating higher" on the mainland), no merfolk character storylines, no merfolk heart events/romance options, no merfolk festivals, and no underwater ranching/farming.

Which, OK, that's fair, that's a lot of poo poo to have in the game, but when your whole gimmick is "Stardew Valley but with a big underwater ocean map + merfolk" then it's lame as gently caress to promote your 1.0 release on Steam without it. It's just a second round of Early Access, but with a higher price tag and no "Early Access" banner on the Steam page/Steam tags.

I ended up just reinstalling Stardew Valley with like 20 mods, because I never did play this game with mods. Some of them are QOL things that Coral Island ended up doing better (better Shipping Container is the biggest standout here but that definitely feels like a popular mod that other games have cribbed) as well as some "expansion pack" style mods (there's a Ridgeside Village mod which is pretty cool/has a lot of extra stuff) and it's basically a whole new game after going from 1.0 -> 1.6. Which is about how long I feel like I'm going to have to wait to get Coral Island as I pictured it being at their 1.0 release.

Extremely reasonable; I've enjoyed dipping back into Coral Island, but it is still very much unfinished in places, and that Early Access has become the norm annoys me too. I'm still looking for the next farming game to scratch my itch - I really wanted to love Rune Factory 5 after how great RF4 was, but it just felt like an awkward transition to 3D rather than a new move for the series. Fae Farm is the usual early access "might be good eventually"...
I'll just reinstall RF4 special edition but I won't have queer romance :'(

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Lunar Suite posted:

Extremely reasonable; I've enjoyed dipping back into Coral Island, but it is still very much unfinished in places, and that Early Access has become the norm annoys me too. I'm still looking for the next farming game to scratch my itch - I really wanted to love Rune Factory 5 after how great RF4 was, but it just felt like an awkward transition to 3D rather than a new move for the series. Fae Farm is the usual early access "might be good eventually"...
I'll just reinstall RF4 special edition but I won't have queer romance :'(

If you can mod (like on pc) there's a Player Character genderswap mod for RF4, figured I'd give it a go if I want to go into it again.

And yup. I did a lap of Coral Island after the 1.0 release and had to hold myself back from posting a 'early access games that rebadge as 1.0 just to get a rerelease, not because they're feature complete.' post every other time I played it.
Especially with the merfolk, who are tagged as friendsble and romanceable ingame, but didn't have the functionality.

SubNat has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Jan 25, 2024

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Go Mecha Ball has options for removing/reducing screen shake and screen flashes, which is good, however the main menu and loading screen backgrounds is full of constantly flashing or fast scrolling colours, completely negating any benefit from people who are photosensitive. Thankfully I got this off gamepass, because it's unplayable to me and would probably be actively harmful to others.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Dying Light: The game's tutorial to nighttime can gently caress right off. It would be one thing if the game had you start off far from a safe house and gave tutorial messages saying "Hey, there's super zombies at night, they will gently caress you up if you're seen, here's the tools to detect them, try not to die" and you have to sneak/parkour back to safety. Instead, it starts you off with the super zombies already coming for you so you have to run, and proceeds to have even more rushing out of alleys and bursting from the back of vans while you're trying to figure out where to go because it's still the middle of the loving night, all while still throwing up tutorial messages that you can't read, because there's still a pack of super zombies right behind you.

It's a game that I come back to every couple of years, play for a bit, then run into the night time tutorial and that can gently caress right off.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It sucks too, because until you've finished that part the game is sort of frozen in time. A lot of stuff doesn't unlock until you're done with that bit and it sucks.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
A few years ago I bought Human Fall Flat in a Steam sale, and I can't play it for more than like 15 minutes because the constant screen wobble makes me motion sick.

I think I remember reading something from the developer saying they can't turn it off because the camera is tied to the center of mass of your character or something like that.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

gohuskies posted:

If Far Cry 2 just turned down the respawn rate on enemy outposts, it would have been incredible. As is, you have to either commit to boat travel or going on the roads fighting a new group of generic guys every sixty seconds of travel or so. Sometimes you just want to get to the next mission and Far Cry 2 won't let you do it.

I never found it to be much of an issue, though it has solidified over time to be the One Big Thing Wrong with the game. I remember just plowing through many outposts if I didn't feel like fighting, I think the most they would do would be halfheartedly drive behind you shooting wildly for a time which was mostly safely ignored.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Horizon Zero Dawn:
The machines are so very large and, so very close and so very, very erratic in their movements that a lot of fights I can't cheese become confusing messes.

Sure, let's try to hit that weak point, mister metal buffalo. Oh, you already turned your giant head in the way. Oh, and your angry friend charged right through you from where I couldn't see and knocked me on my rear end, keeping me locked in place for the next several seconds.

I do like the game, but something about the combat feels off. Thankfully I can often use dirty tricks and sniping to even the odds, which is fun.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
In Zero Dawn it's abundantly clear that Aloy isn't even close to the top of the food chain, so cheesing fights, sniping, stealth, and hitandrunning is how you win in that game.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Philippe posted:

In Zero Dawn it's abundantly clear that Aloy isn't even close to the top of the food chain, so cheesing fights, sniping, stealth, and hitandrunning is how you win in that game.

Yeah, occasional frustrating combat moments are a fair price to pay to make these machines feel dangerous. If you're not on top of your game you're gonna get knocked on your rear end, as it should be.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Suleman posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn:
The machines are so very large and, so very close and so very, very erratic in their movements that a lot of fights I can't cheese become confusing messes.

Sure, let's try to hit that weak point, mister metal buffalo. Oh, you already turned your giant head in the way. Oh, and your angry friend charged right through you from where I couldn't see and knocked me on my rear end, keeping me locked in place for the next several seconds.

I do like the game, but something about the combat feels off. Thankfully I can often use dirty tricks and sniping to even the odds, which is fun.

Try to remember these tips

When the tail whips around, roll on the ground

If it’s arrows ya need, craft some with speed

If the Dinos come near, best whip out the spear

If the games difficulty seems insurmountable, sharpen your skills and hold yourself accountable

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

credburn posted:

Asheron is Calling and wants its acronym back since it had it first
:emptyquote:

Man I miss those days.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

oldpainless posted:

If the games difficulty seems insurmountable, sharpen your skills and hold yourself accountable

If the Watcher sees you, run the gently caress away

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

oldpainless posted:

If your chances seem narrow, say "gently caress Ted Faro"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AcidCat posted:

I never found it to be much of an issue, though it has solidified over time to be the One Big Thing Wrong with the game. I remember just plowing through many outposts if I didn't feel like fighting, I think the most they would do would be halfheartedly drive behind you shooting wildly for a time which was mostly safely ignored.

It’s because it’s not respawning in a traditional sense so some people will run into it more than others.

In FC2 if you left the map cell (which IIRC more or less mapped to the map squares but it wasn’t 1:1) it would reload the cell when you came back to it. If you stood and fought you wouldn’t really run into it. If you did hit and runs on a camp in the center of a map cell, you wouldn’t run into it. If you were doing hit and runs or cleared a camp on the edge of a map cell, it would respawn crazy fast since you were more likely to cross the “reload the cell” threshold.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

ToTK,

Basically the same as BotW. Every interaction takes forever. Upgrade your equipment? Here's a 15 second cut scene. Get hearts/stamina? Same. loving cook? loving same!

This spills over (for me) into the actual story stuff. It has the same issue BotW had for me where the story has to be delivered in independent chunks because there's no guarantee that the player will do things in the intended order, which is okay. But also the writing is just blah. I just did the third point of interest (I'm doing them in order) and I'm just skipping all the story stuff where possible because it's all the same: Person of interest has an interaction with Zelda, who very obviously isn't Zelda or she's mind controlled or whatever because she causes bad poo poo to happen. Some avatar from the past connected to the person of interest tells them it's important to help Link because prophesy or whatever. It's just accepted that's the way things are. You solve the regions problem and it's like, whatever, next? I guess?

Also it's super easy to miss kinda important (?) stuff? Just before I finished the third big thing (Zora area) I was in the main hub and talked to some people and unlocked the camera because there's important stuff to do underground with that? Also recently I found a big chalk outline like the Cerne Giant (except it was in the shape of the master sword) and when I interacted with it I got a time travel? memory of Zelda that's literally number 15 out of 18? First time time travelhas come up as far as I'm aware so yeah, I guess I either skipped too much story stuff or my play style just doesn't gel well with how they want the story to be told.

Also as much as I love how much mobility you can create for yourself it creates I often feel I'm missing out. Like with the water that creates platforms from platforms, I've had several puzzles that had an intended solution but I just created a couple of platforms from the lava, connected them and used them to skip the whole thing. I guess that's on me but the same goes with just flying upwards by putting a rocket on your shield and poo poo.

It's an amazing game, really, and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did BotW, but also the choices they made with regards to having it open world with so many tools really does make the narrative and puzzles solving elements suffer, a lot. I'm enjoying the shrines so much more because you don't have the avatars and zonai devices handy to just solve every problem for you. On the other hand it feels like that's intended gameplay and I should feel good about sidestepping the obstacles they put up, but it feels kinda wishy washy where that's intended and where that's an unfortunate consequence of the game design, if you know what I mean?

Again, great game with tons of poo poo that works in its favor, but that's for the other thread.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Suleman posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn:

Yeah you've gotta play smart and just put traps down in advance and let them run into them instead of trying to square up and fight the robots straight up. Unlike Borderlands or Fallout or something, the robots are a serious threat in that game and will kill you. I'm pretty sure most cutscenes of NPCs fighting them is like, eight people for every robot they're fighting above a Watcher.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah you've gotta play smart and just put traps down in advance and let them run into them instead of trying to square up and fight the robots straight up. Unlike Borderlands or Fallout or something, the robots are a serious threat in that game and will kill you. I'm pretty sure most cutscenes of NPCs fighting them is like, eight people for every robot they're fighting above a Watcher.

Also status effects are super powerful against even the tough enemies. Setting enemies on fire is great and often changes how they act. Setting certain weak points on fire is even better since those weak points can explode, doing more damage, knocking parts off, and sometimes taking away some of their offensive ability. You really should never be fighting fair in that game, the combat system is built around it. It’s why the purple weapons don’t do more damage than blues- it’s not about how hard your weapons hit for, it’s about your toolbox of dirty tricks getting bigger.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Let it Die is a Suda51 game, so it has an incredible amount of polish to its controls with some pinhole-sized blind spots that drag the whole thing down. When you're locked on, you can only roll in the cardinal directions, so if you try to dodge sideways and are moving diagonally......

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Jan 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also status effects are super powerful against even the tough enemies. Setting enemies on fire is great and often changes how they act. Setting certain weak points on fire is even better since those weak points can explode, doing more damage, knocking parts off, and sometimes taking away some of their offensive ability. You really should never be fighting fair in that game, the combat system is built around it. It’s why the purple weapons don’t do more damage than blues- it’s not about how hard your weapons hit for, it’s about your toolbox of dirty tricks getting bigger.

Yeah I had a lot of trouble playing the game initially because I didn't know that hitting weakpoints with their respective element did like, 5x damage and also caused an explosion that damaged them and surrounding enemies. Once you know that you're gonna have a much better time against most robots. Personally I could never get the hang of fighting those ones that burrowed underground but just about everything else was way easier after that.