Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Genghis Cohen posted:

Oh was that a thing in earlier editions? I thought it was always separate warriors and crossbowmen, and then there was a special army list (possibly in a WD?) that restricted certain options, but let you take those mixed crossbow/spear units. Surprised it would be something anyone would pin their whole army concept on.

According to my friend, yes, but I can't confirm. What he always said was that you could take a unit of Warriors and give some of them crossbows and the rest spears. Normally a unit has an option that like "the *entire* unit may take X Option for Y points/model." He said that Cityguard/Warriors whatever had the option that was "ANY NUMBER of models may take crossbows for X points/model and ANY NUMBER of other models may have spears for Y points/model." What he'd THEN do is get like a unit 25 of these guys but only give the front 5 guys crossbows. In addition to that, he'd pull casualties from the back with the rationale that even though the front rank were getting killed, the next rank would pick the crossbows up and I guess drop their spears. If anyone can confirm that, please so. This had to be late 90s when this was the standard since I stared playing in like 2002-2003 I guess and he had to dig his old stuff out to play with us.

It's also ENTIRELY likely that he was misreading the rules, possibly intentionally since he was INFAMOUS for doing that to the point that in our local game scene, "hislastname-ing" was known slang for "accidentally" reading the rules wrong (like the time he was building a 2 axe fighter in D&D and used a feat called Twin Sword Style on it until I found it and called him out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
City guard was a separate unit in the 1995 book. Pretty sure it was only spears and crossbows allowed. I am also pretty sure that the special rules included a stipulation that casualties were removed from the front rank, so crossbows first.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No, it was in the army books for 4th and 6th edition. You were allowed to mix and match but it had to be a 50/50 split. I believe it was crossbows and spears only though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Tomb Kings' alternate royal host list has mixed units of spears and archers. It even has mixed units of spear cavalry and archers. The archers get pushed to the back, but they gain a rule that lets them volley fire on the move. Or during a stand and shoot reaction. I have no idea how these will work in practice, but the infantry version is probably pretty cool.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, it was in the army books for 4th and 6th edition. You were allowed to mix and match but it had to be a 50/50 split. I believe it was crossbows and spears only though.
Yeah, the fourth Ed book is the one I'm thinking of, it never mandated how you had too split, just casualties removed from front. I had the original release of 6th book (without the border) and city guard weren't there. Were they added back in the re-released buff version?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

hoiyes posted:

Yeah, the fourth Ed book is the one I'm thinking of, it never mandated how you had too split, just casualties removed from front. I had the original release of 6th book (without the border) and city guard weren't there. Were they added back in the re-released buff version?

I don't think any of the borderless/bordered books from that era had any significant changes like that outside of points costs and such. I still have both Vampire Counts ones; I'll take a look.

B-person
Oct 29, 2010
Please let me know if this does not belong here, but the launch of WHOW(?) made me nostalgic and I dug up my old Dark Elves army from my parents place.

I think 5th edition? It's almost all metal, I had forgotten how heavy the old models used to be.

Bonus pic of my old GW carrying case:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

hoiyes posted:

I'll have to double check my copy. I picked it up at the 6th edition launch at Games Day 2000 when the line got its relaunch.

radlum
May 13, 2013
My old WFB group is trying TOW, I'm hopeful that I might get to play my HE again.

How are Skycutters and White Lion Chariots in TOW? I remember never using them in 8th edition, but maybe this time they'll be more useful.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

City Guard were, I think, from a white dwarf or maybe the same 6e(?) revision hotfix patch that broke poison. It was just the first rank with crossbows, but spearmen would step up and take the bows if they died.

There was even a conversion from the big catalog!

Genghis Cohen posted:

Perhaps it's an editing oversight, like it used to be something different, got changed, and they left it on certain units? Seems to be Khainite-specific.

I suspect that it applied to everything until they playtested it.

Nobody with it can never use it - I can't imagine why you would ever take it over a extra hand weapon swing though, if that's an option. And it makes options like corsair handbows a little more appealing.

It's probably great for second+ rounds for Cold One riders, after the lances break.

I'd love to see some developer chats, but I think they're burying the legacy lists for now.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

B-person posted:

Please let me know if this does not belong here, but the launch of WHOW(?) made me nostalgic and I dug up my old Dark Elves army from my parents place.

I think 5th edition? It's almost all metal, I had forgotten how heavy the old models used to be.

:justpost:. The old minis makes me very nostalgic.

I had a small Dark elf army back in the 5th edition too. I regretfully had gotten rid of most of my old minis.
Only thing I have left of delves is old Delf Blood bowl team that I 'converted'* from that old range.
I Just cut up the weapons from the minis and called it a day. Plastic dudes were linemen, Witch elves Witch elves, Corsairs were blitzers and a standard bearer was a thrower.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I love the old style aesthetic.
I got these back in the mid to late 00s for my Orc and Goblin army:

Marauder Giant:

And old S shaped Dragon I used as a Wyvern:

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I'm so glad Warhammer Fantasy is back. Just bought a couple of Beastmen Vanguard boxes, a Beastlord and a bunch of square bases off AliExpress.

I'm tempted to buy a bunch of 3rd party minotaurs because the GW ones are awful, but I might wait until the box for the Beastmen gets announced because who knows, they might get new sculpts.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

moths posted:

City Guard were, I think, from a white dwarf or maybe the same 6e(?) revision hotfix patch that broke poison. It was just the first rank with crossbows, but spearmen would step up and take the bows if they died.

Nobody with it can never use it - I can't imagine why you would ever take it over a extra hand weapon swing though, if that's an option. And it makes options like corsair handbows a little more appealing.

It's probably great for second+ rounds for Cold One riders, after the lances break.

I'd love to see some developer chats, but I think they're burying the legacy lists for now.

Indeed, city guard was added in 6th ed in a white dwarf with an alternate army list.

And about that rule, yes it's really like that. Many legacy lists have very wonky or straight up broken rules. Some legacy faction feel very unpolished compared to the regular ones.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I'm so glad Warhammer Fantasy is back. Just bought a couple of Beastmen Vanguard boxes, a Beastlord and a bunch of square bases off AliExpress.

I'm tempted to buy a bunch of 3rd party minotaurs because the GW ones are awful, but I might wait until the box for the Beastmen gets announced because who knows, they might get new sculpts.

AFAIK the pattern this far has been that there are few new sculpts, with about two new characters per army or so, no new units. I would be very surprised if minos got a new box.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

moths posted:

Good thoughts, but Corsairs and Cold One Knights don't get the special rule! If you mean characters armed in that way, yes technically. But you'd be mental to not just buy some sort of weapon upgrade instead.

B-person posted:

Wow! Obviously I think most of the models are pretty dated, but genuinely those metal Dark Riders look better, to me, than the modern GW plastic ones.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

B-person posted:

love that the trays were goblin green too, there was no alternative

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Genghis Cohen posted:

Good thoughts, but Corsairs and Cold One Knights don't get the special rule! If you mean characters armed in that way, yes technically.

Oh poo poo! For some reason I thought it was an army-wide rule, but you're totally right - just characters and a handful of units get it.

B-person posted:

Hell yeah! These are the 4/5th edition Marauder sculpts that Trish and Aly Morrison did.

They're bigger than the 6/7 Juan Diaz ones, but in scale with a lot of the 8th and AoS figures.

Plus, you can also dig into the metal 3e Dark Eldar line for some unique additions. I'm using the old Wytches as Sisters of Slaughter and their Beast Masters with the Hydra, for example. I'm pretty sure I can make Doomfire Warlocks out of the skyboarders, but no luck yet...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I still have a ton of the 6th edition metal results of the corsairs and witches. Made sure to get the alt sculpts of the corsair leader with the dragon cloak wrapped around the face and the executioner axe. That was straight up the best model at the time.

This guy

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 25, 2024

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Does anyone know of any good models to use for a Wight BSB on foot? There was like one official model for that and it was only kinda ok and currently super expensive on eBay.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I still have a ton of the 6th edition metal results of the corsairs and witches. Made sure to get the alt sculpts of the corsair leader with the dragon cloak wrapped around the face and the executioner axe. That was straight up the best model at the time.

This guy

I have this guy and love him. Also the other Corsair champ is great. I don't feel like they fit in with the modern Corsair sculpts so I like to use them as unit leaders for my regular infantry

I'm feeling some big fomo about not having my WHFB minis to hand, they currently reside in my mother's attic :(

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Anyone's LGS's got stuff in yet?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Nope, and so far not even a notice it's shipped.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

From what I've been told, GW closed the warehouse for safety over the last week's northeastern snowstorm. (The weather wasn't as bad as expected, but it was the right call IMO.)

Distribution is still goofed up, but hopefully we'll start seeing it today or tomorrow.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I was alerted that some of my stuff was on the way.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

My local shop says they're getting their Old World shipment tomorrow, and my GW direct order shipped yesterday. I ordered stuff from a couple other places like Frontline as well but no word on shipping yet. It seems like things are just now starting to move for US orders for sure.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
My LGS just had theirs show up yesterday. Already picked up some tomb kings and sepulchral stalkers.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Cool; thanks! My LGS was saying something about Wednesday but that didn't happen so became "maybe Thursday or Friday."

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This guy

Squibsy posted:

I have this guy and love him. Also the other Corsair champ is great. I don't feel like they fit in with the modern Corsair sculpts so I like to use them as unit leaders for my regular infantry

I'm feeling some big fomo about not having my WHFB minis to hand, they currently reside in my mother's attic :(

Bloody jealous of you both, that guy slaps.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

This guy

This guy loving rules and everyone knows it. The price on eBay is brutal whenever it appears.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
My stuff has got to the store finally. I'll go get it at the weekend

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Called my store today, they told me UPS expects to deliver the pre-orders tomorrow

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Ogroid Theridons are probably as close as you're gonna get.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The rules in this remind me why I both love and hate the meaner rules. On the one hand, something like the Ethereal rule means that you can end up with a situation where you have like a hundred models on the table, but they can do literally nothing to 1 guy. On the other, you can end up with a situation where your Wizard does not get the one spell you want to build around because he just sort of randomly knows things or not unless you pay to not be a moron. Truly a land of contrasts.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Just got an update from
My LGS shipment should be in on friggin Monday. Blarg

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

radlum posted:

My old WFB group is trying TOW, I'm hopeful that I might get to play my HE again.

How are Skycutters and White Lion Chariots in TOW? I remember never using them in 8th edition, but maybe this time they'll be more useful.

It's hard to say in isolation if they're any good. The base rules have changed enough around things like chariots and flying that it's hard to get a sense of how good a unit will be.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

love that the trays were goblin green too, there was no alternative

I fully intend on painting my skeletons (when they finally arrive) with goblin green bases.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
For WFB I felt that texture paint coated with Castellan green, drybrushed Underhive Ash, and rimmed Steel Legion was the way to go. Had to clean a decade of dust off this fellow. If I go back to my gobbos there's a lot of tinkering I'd want to do to make them look better, while trying not to just repaint the whole horde again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

For WFB I felt that texture paint coated with Castellan green, drybrushed Underhive Ash, and rimmed Steel Legion was the way to go. Had to clean a decade of dust off this fellow. If I go back to my gobbos there's a lot of tinkering I'd want to do to make them look better, while trying not to just repaint the whole horde again.

drat, looking good Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-person
Oct 29, 2010
Well since people liked the pics of my old army, here are a couple of close ups.

Lord, Sorceress & Assassin

Darkriders

Bolt Thrower

I also found my old army books. Turns out I also collected some High Elves and that I got into 6th edition briefly. Found a bunch of half assembled and half painted stuff, can take pics if it's of interest.