Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I now have 2 night wings with runner breeding and all the offspring seem to also have runner, which is good. Just need to lick into more movement speed mode so I can fly all over even quicker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
This might be a controversial opinion, but I kind of think flying becomes accessible WAY too early and it feels like it short circuits a lot of exploration/discovery, not to mention ground mounts and other pals you might have otherwise tried out and experimented with.

It reminds me a bit of how Blizzard regretted adding flying mounts at all in WoW and how it shrunk the world and led to pretty big changes to how the game felt and how the players interacted (or stopped) with each other.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

re: twitter bullshit

https://twitter.com/CentroLeaks/status/1750164718105325605?s=20

the idiot bleating the loudest about palworld """doing theft""" and """showing evidence""" admitted to faking it because they're mad about how palworld """promotes animal cruelty"""

which is funny because palworld does a better job of promoting animal rights than pokemon ever did because it's actually insanely difficult to actually abuse your pokemon and abusing your pals is a quick and easy way to kill them, which is very bad for you

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

it's not insanely difficult, you just aim and fire

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Kith posted:

the idiot bleating the loudest about palworld """doing theft""" and """showing evidence""" admitted to faking it because they're mad about how palworld """promotes animal cruelty"""

which is funny because palworld does a better job of promoting animal rights than pokemon ever did because it's actually insanely difficult to actually abuse your pokemon and abusing your pals is a quick and easy way to kill them, which is very bad for you

From the 40+ hours I played, the game seems to disincentivize cruelty to your pals in basically every possible way. Not looking after them is ALWAYS more of a pain in the rear end than keeping them happy and healthy.

The only time it "promotes cruelty" at all is drops you get from dead Pals in the wild, and if you're gonna complain about games that have loot drop from creatures you kill you're really gonna have your work cut out for you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its like in Tropico where you COULD be a dictator and neglect your citizens but its simply easier to provide them their needs and have everyone happy

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Except for when you throw them onto a factory assembly line which I think is bleak however you slice it. With furniture you can even very closely imitate the 19th century sweatshop look.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Mr Scumbag posted:

This might be a controversial opinion, but I kind of think flying becomes accessible WAY too early and it feels like it short circuits a lot of exploration/discovery, not to mention ground mounts and other pals you might have otherwise tried out and experimented with.
It only feels that way because mounts take no falling damage, and flying mounts can cross water without using stamina. Fix both of those and it's much more balanced already. The first couple of flying mounts you get access to are way slower than a good wolf or elk riding mount, so the only real benefit is the ability to ignore terrain until much later (or you get very lucky with eggs). The map is big enough that it's not an issue at all in single player. Don't care about multiplayer.

Flying mounts were available pretty early in ARK too, if memory serves, and it did nothing but help you branch out and gain access to newer better materials and dinosaurs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf that twitter person also hates pokemon for animal cruelty reasons so i think theyre just wacko

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Doing cruelty to animals by treating them like humans

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i still ride through new areas after scoping them out from the air because the early fliers are so slow.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
what kind of a monster would force a dog to get a job

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

what kind of a monster would force a dog to get a job
blind people

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Doing cruelty to animals by treating them like humans

I mean. Have you seen how lovely we are to each other?

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I'm definitely seeing more of the seams now I'm a little farther in but I'm still shocked how moreish it is for just having released in early access. Like, the raids definitely seem weirdly tuned because I've had a couple that are basically nothing and then one where all the mons were twice my level and burned down my house, and then back to regular, but it stuck out because most of the other systems are surprisingly cohesive considering.

Also I'm entirely willing to accept that this is me being petty and irrational but one of my buds got so stressed from overwork (even though there's a hot tub right there!!!) that apparently they developed an eating disorder, and tbh that's been the edgiest thing so far imo and it kinda rubs me the wrong way, imo they could just change the flavor text to "overeating out of stress" and it would be fine even if it's functionally the same thing idk. I can't figure out how to cure it either :(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kith posted:

I am shocked at this news.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's a little weird you can't get these pals, even as a gentle "hey stop bugging out bro" reset

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Except for when you throw them onto a factory assembly line which I think is bleak however you slice it. With furniture you can even very closely imitate the 19th century sweatshop look.

just put the team rocket guys on the assembly line

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

woke kaczynski posted:

Also I'm entirely willing to accept that this is me being petty and irrational but one of my buds got so stressed from overwork (even though there's a hot tub right there!!!) that apparently they developed an eating disorder, and tbh that's been the edgiest thing so far imo and it kinda rubs me the wrong way, imo they could just change the flavor text to "overeating out of stress" and it would be fine even if it's functionally the same thing idk. I can't figure out how to cure it either :(

They should add psychic type pals solely so they can also add a psychiatrist job

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

woke kaczynski posted:

I'm definitely seeing more of the seams now I'm a little farther in but I'm still shocked how moreish it is for just having released in early access. Like, the raids definitely seem weirdly tuned because I've had a couple that are basically nothing and then one where all the mons were twice my level and burned down my house, and then back to regular, but it stuck out because most of the other systems are surprisingly cohesive considering.

medicine can be bought from the merchant in the Small Settlement or made by a pal at a Medicine Workbench

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Kith posted:

Why would they spend all that time editing the models to make them look similar?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Why would they spend all that time editing the models to make them look similar?

i think it's another example of the internet, or more specifically, fandoms making us stupid.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
how to be cruel to animals

force them to breed

also feed them cotton candy so they stay sane

best nutrition to sanity there is

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

all my animals will die of diatbetus

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021
I got this game and built a base and saw one of my Pals get upset and immediately spent like an hour doing everything I possibly could to make sure everyone had a bed and good food and pets and time off, so if this game encourages cruelty it's really bad at it.

Except maybe against Syndicate thugs, the first dungeon I found was full of 'em and I slung my little fox pal under my armpit and flamethrowered the fuckers :getin:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

you all better be breeding the strongest of woolipops

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

D.Fuzzbot posted:

because some people believe in achieving their goals by any means, up to and including lying and fabricating evidence

Endorph posted:

tbf that twitter person also hates pokemon for animal cruelty reasons so i think theyre just wacko

oh so they're just extremely normal in general, that's cool

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I cannot believe they pulled one of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WIwFrvAOoE

Orv
May 4, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

you all better be breeding the strongest of woolipops

I put three 150 power skills on a chicken instead

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Gonna make a cow gently caress a sheep so I can get super cotton candy and make my pals work over time

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Kith posted:

medicine can be bought from the merchant in the Small Settlement or made by a pal at a Medicine Workbench

Oh hey ty, i guess it counts as "ulcer"? Maybe there's some general weird translation around that.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
They should probably rename the sanity mechanics. Like I've thrown a pal into my base but there's nothing really forcing them to work and the game is pointing at slacking off as an indicator that they're going mad. I'm like "buddy, pal Take a break. I do not need you to endlessly slam your face into these trees."

Does Food eventually have more effects then hunger and sanity?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Third World Reagan posted:

Gonna make a cow gently caress a sheep so I can get super cotton candy and make my pals work over time

I'd be cool if they didn't make new Pals, just focused on adding more and more combos.

Devilgoat is cool but I want to get rid of that weird hair.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I want some motherfucking evolutions

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
How do I release pals from my box? I do not want all these sheep, they were just a good exp bonus.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

D.Fuzzbot posted:

How do I release pals from my box? I do not want all these sheep, they were just a good exp bonus.

You can sell them to a pal merchant for some coins, or use the pal condenser to make one sheep stronger.

Or use the butcher knife. You monster.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

D.Fuzzbot posted:

they didn't, it's another example of the internet going insane on both sides.

what that tweet is calling fabrication is the fact that the models had to be scaled in side to be a rough match. because models from two different games are going to have different scales based on the engine but the goal was to see how the general topology or design matched. now if they had actually manually edited the shape of the model in order to match then that would've been more stupid than their reason for doing this investigation in the first place.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Palworld, but with pokemon

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Palworld, but with pokemon

*Nintendo's ninjas start gearing up*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

OgNar posted:

There are nexus mods out, you just need to randomly hit a button and it refreshes durability.
Basically never needs repair as long as you remember to hit the key.

This would be a nice mod to have, but this particular one seemed very difficult to use (usually it's just "drop folder in folder") and crashed my game, so I'll probably have to wait for either the devs to add a server durability slider or simpler to use mod.