Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Black Noise posted:

I’m about to do the Gortash quest line I’ve got questions about the order. I know it’s not worth it but I want to try and rescue as many as possible. Don’t @ me about Monks

Foundry: Sneak to the back find blind guy

Foundry: Go in fighting, kill guards, get motivator, talk to blind guy in the back.

Iron Throne first -> fight the whole foundry

I know where the quest triggers are generally but I know the order fucks a lot of people up. Also can I long rest after the throne or will everyone be dead if I do that so it’s right back to the Foundry?

As I understand it; the best course of action is to just do the Iron throne first, before ever setting foot in the Foundry, then going to the Foundry. as far is I can recall I did a long rest between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you just kill Gortash you don’t have to go to either of them. Because you can’t go to either of them.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Karlach “Sounds boring”

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Was I supposed to end up at an adamantine forge before going to the goblin camp? Lol I fell into a hole in some thieves den and haven't seen the sun in ten hours.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Was I supposed to end up at an adamantine forge before going to the goblin camp? Lol I fell into a hole in some thieves den and haven't seen the sun in ten hours.

Happens all the time, you're fiiiine

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Not the intended route but:

Runa posted:

Happens all the time, you're fiiiine

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I think there’s 4 different ways to get there in act 1. it’s pretty common. Please let us know how and where you get to the surface, there’s even more ways up.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My mind was blown when I found out you can get to the underdark by casting featherfall and jumping in the pit at the Spider Matriarch fight

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The most wild thing to me about the underdark is that you can beat the game completely bypassing it. You figure something like 1/3 of people will just go one route 1/3 of people will just go another route and one third of people will be a completionist and do both. I can't imagine putting that much work into an area that many people won't even see.

The mountain pass is neat I guess But to me the underdark is the most impressive and best realized environment in the entire game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The whole Underdark -> Grymforge sequence is probably my single favorite stretch of the game. Great environments, encounter variety, sick loot, some very well-hidden secrets you probably won't find until your 4th-5th run of the game, it's got everything!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

exquisite tea posted:

The whole Underdark -> Grymforge sequence is probably my single favorite stretch of the game. Great environments, encounter variety, sick loot, some very well-hidden secrets you probably won't find until your 4th-5th run of the game, it's got everything!

It’s definitely my favorite stretch of the game. I keep finding myself on new runs pretty much skipping the surface area of act 1 and heading down once I’m almost level 4, doing most of the underdark then only dipping back up quickly to save the tieflings and move on

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

the underdark ambient track with that droning choir loving rules, probably my favorite part of the OST

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Those goblins are going to have to deal with my adamantine plate armor and shield now

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

One of my favorite things to do the second I have an invis potion and a feather fall scroll is the arcane tower since the bless staff is really useful for low level combat before level 5 (& honestly for a bit after too)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

What would be the best Cleric domain to take if I was just putting in 1 point for create water and guidance? Probably still Tempest yes?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

What would be the best Cleric domain to take if I was just putting in 1 point for create water and guidance? Probably still Tempest yes?

Even without the level 2 Channel Divinity ability, Tempest still gets you weapon and armor proficiencies you might not get from your other class so it's still a solid pick.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Definitely tempest

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I wanna try that fun Sorc build where you beef up Ray of Frost to do insane damage and I'd still like to have a 1-pointer in Cleric to create my own water patches.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Life, easily.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Eifert Posting posted:

The most wild thing to me about the underdark is that you can beat the game completely bypassing it. You figure something like 1/3 of people will just go one route 1/3 of people will just go another route and one third of people will be a completionist and do both. I can't imagine putting that much work into an area that many people won't even see.

The mountain pass is neat I guess But to me the underdark is the most impressive and best realized environment in the entire game.

I did exactly that. Found the route under the camp, got scared shitless by the Spectator and beat a hasty retreat to the Mountain Pass

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yep, I have a coworker that completely skipped the underdark. That’s so wild to me

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I found the spectator last night when looking for the tower. I marked it on my map as "scary" and will try to save that location for last before leaving the under dark.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
A question about Wyll in act 3 that I would appreciatea spoilery answer to: is there anything that further resolves the plot with his father after the part with Mizora? The Ansur quest is listed as part of the Blade quest and it was given by Florrick who acted like Duke Ravengard is dead, but Wyll honestly seems to have almost no involvement in it? If he gets more story content in another quest I'll just swap him out for the Ansur fight because unfortunately he's been dead weight all game.

When the Ansur reveal happened it was impossible for me to not think of Mr. Burn's League of Evil

https://youtu.be/WAFJOV_EV9g?si=N04tZ1seViBtKoh9

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

mycot posted:

A question about Wyll in act 3 that I would appreciatea spoilery answer to: is there anything that further resolves the plot with his father after the part with Mizora? The Ansur quest is listed as part of the Blade quest and it was given by Florrick who acted like Duke Ravengard is dead, but Wyll honestly seems to have almost no involvement in it? If he gets more story content in another quest I'll just swap him out for the Ansur fight because unfortunately he's been dead weight all game.

When the Ansur reveal happened it was impossible for me to not think of Mr. Burn's League of Evil

https://youtu.be/WAFJOV_EV9g?si=N04tZ1seViBtKoh9

Yes. Well, depending on exactly you mean by "the part with Mizora". When you go to the Iron Throne Wyll's dad is imprisoned there, you can free him and he'll come back to camp. He points you to Ansur and has more dialogue with Wyll once it's over.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some of the equipment choices for this game are baffling to me. It's almost impossible to get Bhaal so hard's armor without a very particular kind of run or console commands and it basically single-handedly makes Asti viable in the late game. I don't think I'll ever play through BG3 without just spawning the item in in the console and throwing like 5,000 gold into the ocean.

Unless you want to get into a ton of multi-classing shenanigans he's basically tickling people at the end game without it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

With only a 1 level dip Tempest isn't very compelling, the reaction isn't amazing and you get two weaker spells in thunderwave and fog cloud.

I'd sooner go for Light, Life or Knowledge. Life gives Bless, Light gives a better reaction than tempest, and Knowledge gives Command (extremely flexible concentration-less cheap CC).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Rogue is the only martial class that doesn't get a second attack at Level 5 so you're pretty much always multiclassing them. I like doing 8/4 for Asty with Champ so my gloomy boi can get some sick-nasty critz.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Snake Maze posted:

Yes. Well, depending on exactly you mean by "the part with Mizora". When you go to the Iron Throne Wyll's dad is imprisoned there, you can free him and he'll come back to camp. He points you to Ansur and has more dialogue with Wyll once it's over.

I told Wyll to break his contract at the cost of his father, but I assumed Mizora wouldn't kill him directly and he could be saved :ohdear: I haven't even seen any mention of an Iron Throne, though I know it by name already just from posts. Guess I still need to keep an eye out.

Regarding Astarion in endgame: I respected him into monk because it felt like the least appropriate class and the mulitihit attack combined with the Vampire Ascendant damage bonus is actually hilarious. Bro is Kenshiro.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wyll's dad can be saved even if you break the contract with Mizora, but the order of quests is somewhat important here. You have to go to the Iron Throne before disabling the Steel Watch or killing Gortash. If he's already turned against you then the Iron Throne becomes inaccessible and presumably everyone there dies.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

mycot posted:

Regarding Astarion in endgame: I respected him into monk because it felt like the least appropriate class and the mulitihit attack combined with the Vampire Ascendant damage bonus is actually hilarious. Bro is Kenshiro.

Ascended astarion open hand monk is pretty universally agreed upon to be the single strongest build in the game. it stands alone as the pinnacle of BG3, and I'll never use it again as it completely trivialities an already easy game.

My solo honour run is up to Act3 and I feel so strong I'm genuinely considered just doing extra bosses instead of rushing the ending. Evil really does get you completely insane items in this game, between Shars spear and the Bhaalist armour I genuinely think you're in a much stronger place overall even losing a bunch of tielfing related OP gear.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird with big dick posted:

If you just kill Gortash you don’t have to go to either of them. Because you can’t go to either of them.

I know doing this is seriously "out of order" but if you're powerful enough, why wouldn't you do it? I think the result/punishment for it is too severe and doesn't make that much sense. I thought I might be able to rescue all the underwater people without the time constraint since Gortash was no longer around to self destruct the place but they're just dead and gone and the sub driver leaves a note saying he took the sub to go live with his mom on an island or something because he was sick of Gortash's poo poo.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Is the ice staff you find in two parts in the Underdark any good? I tried giving it to Gale after I bought some gloves that also buff cold damage, but I dunno it still seems like Melf's First Staff still kicks its rear end. I have Gale as a lightning Draconic Sorcerer, but he has Ray of Frost as a cantrip and I thought with twinned spell this would kind of give him the equivalent of an Eldritch Blast in his back pocket for a while. The results have been extremely meh.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't like multiclassing. Basically every non-primary caster could ideally use a couple of levels of fighter but it makes them feel less unique. The piece of equipment I mentioned makes a one attack asterion with the right gear viable in the late game. It's just frustrating that it's so content gated.

The game does this weird thing where it insists on dumping like eight extremely good heavy armor sets on you but you're starving for the light armor the majority of your party will probably be wearing.

In my first run I kid it out all the characters including ones that I had no intention of actually using and I still had a few spare sets of really good heavy armor. Shame there's no way to get a barbarian in it.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 25, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That's how I did it my current run. It's fun to roll through the Goblin camp super OP.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Larry Cum Free posted:

Is the ice staff you find in two parts in the Underdark any good? I tried giving it to Gale after I bought some gloves that also buff cold damage, but I dunno it still seems like Melf's First Staff still kicks its rear end. I have Gale as a lightning Draconic Sorcerer, but he has Ray of Frost as a cantrip and I thought with twinned spell this would kind of give him the equivalent of an Eldritch Blast in his back pocket for a while. The results have been extremely meh.

It's extremely good if you are using it in conjunction with something that can create Wet surfaces (i.e. create/destroy water) because it is then a guaranteed Freeze on whatever you are attacking and then double Cold damage after that. It makes the most sense if you are fully investing in a Cold-based build, otherwise there are better early game options.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

I don't like multiclassing. Basically every non-primary caster could ideally use a couple of levels of fighter but it makes them feel less unique. The piece of equipment I mentioned makes a one attack asterion with the right gear viable in the late game. It's just frustrating that it's so content gated.

The game does this weird thing where it insists on dumping like eight extremely good heavy armor sets on you but you're starving for the light armor the majority of your party will probably be wearing.

In my first run I kid it out all the characters including ones that I had no intention of actually using and I still had a few spare sets of really good heavy armor. Shame there's no way to get a barbarian in it.

Yeah, it sucks that there are so few light armor choices.

I've always rebelled against the traditional fighter levels in d&d games. Just let the dice decide, roll for for 2 classes and then roll for kits. I've ended up with some wacky but surprisingly good combinations :v: It helps that with enough game knowledge, the best way to insert some novel challenge for a replay is to go with an unorthodox party composition and try to metagame it into something cool

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 25, 2024

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm always going to go default classes & subclasses, no multiclassing. One time i turned shadowheart into a ranger and i felt dirty. Never again. Would rather look for a mod that buffs trickery domain a lil'

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Eifert Posting posted:

Current run (where I'm done except for the final fight) I didn't do any multiclassing and my opinions:

1. Throwbarian just feels gimped without 3 levels of thief. What you get for level 10-12 in Barbarian is basically nothing except the feat, the other stuff is essentially useless. Monk suffers from the same issue of not getting the extra bonus attack but at least the stuff you get (iirc poison immunity, increased movement, sanctuary on long rest, plus the feat of course) is at least useful and somewhat interesting.

2. I enjoyed 12 full level of wizard. In terms of damage output there's no doubt it's better to MC for Quickened spells but I never felt gimped and I liked the level 6 spells.

3. I like doing 12 levels of Cleric. I tried Deltia is gaming's tempest MC cleric build and I hated it compared to just doing 12 levels of cleric.

4. Ranger just sucks.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Larry Cum Free posted:

If you put dual wielder on gale he can use both!

It's unintuitive but Dual Wielder is strongest on mages in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's just odd that this is such a reactive and nuanced game but they just said "no" to crafting.

I understand it's basically a nightmare for game balance purposes and it kind of reduces the impact of the actual crafted loot they spent a lot of time on. That said there are so many huge gaps in the available equipment that you really feel the absences. It's not like it isn't trivially easy to break the difficulty of the game in other ways, I really do wish they had either introduced crafting and enchanting or significantly increased the variety of loot.