Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

BearsBearsBears posted:

https://twitter.com/upholdreality/status/1749742824361239003

Yemenis getting hit by a missile. They shrug it off aside from some tinnitus and being buried alive a little bit.

well folks they know how to entrench and dont panic under bombardment

thats 90% of the US's advantage gone right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FirstnameLastname posted:

i think ww3 is already over lol

i think the wheels are actually beginning to fall off i don't think it can come back from this because the decades of western military Nazi myth influenced decisions and ideology ruined it
faster than It would have by doing the opposite of what's correct constantly fascism super wrecks your brain it's basically a state of total psychosis just rejecting all reality and trying to impose your own by force it will never work in the long run and it's why they always lose and army always sucks why ours sucks
along w/ regular capitalist inefficiency and mic theft is just too deep into tendency of mean rate of profit to fall I think

everything is shrinking and going to fall apart
the state cant afford mass labor like that anymore
nobody can i don't think, not unless it's really profitable, nobody has the credit for a war against China except China and I don't think they're going to give us that and owe them a lot of money and they can collect pretty soon whether we want them to or not

we can't fill factories and armies and not be overthrown lol sooner or later can't pay enough cops troops etc
the whole thing only worked if they could maintain the little 300 plane superfleet and never get touched, can't do a full scale war on a profit
it is doomed to fail at increasing scale because 1:1 workers and managers will never work as well at large numbers, soldiers wont fight as well etc. they're not capable

individualism idealogically blinds people and it wrecks your brain capitalism wrecks your brain you can't care as much, you'll never fight as hard never care as much you can't bc you're not invested right if you're thinking about yourself doing any kinda work well isn't ever about that

that whole line of thinking necessary to capital and to capitalize is poison to doing things efficiently

i think that's why china is so successful & i don't think it can be stopped please fire when ready president xi

End result of an individualistic low trust society with no shared values where fast life strategies dominate.

Someone is going "so how do you fix it?" lol you don't.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 07:55 on Jan 25, 2024

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There is still plenty of gaslighting to be had, but yeah the West has already spent a lot of its load munition-wise, for not accomplishing very much and the even the Houthis don't really seem to be able to be dealt with. I don't think the West has in it for an apocalyptic war either, but that doesn't mean they are going to keep on trying to pull the same crap they have in the past.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:09 on Jan 25, 2024

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

DancingShade posted:

End result of an individualistic low trust society with no shared values where fast life strategies dominate.

yep
doomed to fail by choosing the wrong choices forever by virtue of the material collectivism state always choosing the correct ones bc Marx was in fact right after all cannot be sustained over time its just a win-win and this is going extinct like feudalism

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Unfortunately some of the nukes will still function

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

There is still plenty of gaslighting to be had, but yeah the West has already a lot of its load munition-wise, for not accomplishing very much and the even the Houthis don't really seem to be able to be dealt with. I don't think the West has in it for an apocalyptic war either, but that doesn't mean they are going to keep on trying to pull the same crap they have in the past.

the west's primary capability in both war and the imperial peace is and has always been killing just an absolute boatload of innocent people accidentally on purpose

i imagine theyll keep doing that until someone makes them stop or they materially cant, but the end of that is coming i think

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

I bet they've got copper wire in them.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think the US will accept the 2nd seat until one day PRC announce they have stockpiled more nuke than the US. Americans have more militant culture than the British. The road is still ahead.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Slavvy posted:

they will lose all institutional knowledge to keep them together before long because they can't afford enough brains that are smart enough lol
there's not enough time to automate everything

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

People are getting blown up by bombs and cruise missiles right now, it's just pure cope to think the west's weapons will just crumble to dust and everything will be great. It's going to be an absolute bloodbath.

But western hegemony already is an absolute bloodbath so it's not really worse in that sense.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

The Oldest Man posted:

the west's primary capability in both war and the imperial peace is and has always been killing just an absolute boatload of innocent people accidentally on purpose

i imagine theyll keep doing that until someone makes them stop or they materially cant, but the end of that is coming i think

The key is killing the people profitably war of aggression has to get stuff for it

you have to get a high reward per troop dead , It's gotten higher and higher, tolerance for deaths deceases, they cannot pay them enough for it to go up enough to have enough people fighting there's not gonna be enough number to go around lol i think it's cooked honestly, they can't make enough of anything can't man enough constantly having to cut crew sizes optimal ships
The grift speeds it up lol It can't be saved

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FirstnameLastname posted:

they will lose all institutional knowledge to keep them together before long because they can't afford enough brains that are smart enough lol
there's not enough time to automate everything

If you were smart enough to redesign a nuclear stockpile then you're also smart enough to go into finance and make / steal a shitload of money off securities et al. How's that theoretical person's committment to the nation versus their personal bank account? Hmm, decisions, decisions.

I'm thinking of that scene from Margin Call where the finance maths guy reveals his credentials are "literal rocket scientist" but he prefers the renumeration he makes with the firm.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 08:19 on Jan 25, 2024

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

The borders of the empire will continue to shrink. Back in the 20th century, you could look at a map of colonial spheres, aligned versus non-aligned. it is just things are a little more blurry now, but nevertheless, the West's power is shrinking.

A "traditional" world war 3 would either be nukes (which obviously the Russians and the Chinese would probably "win" in terms of raw damage) or conventional warfare; in both cases, the West is probably going to be on the losing end, so it doesn't really provide much incentive. The question is where the West would still have an advantage, and that is probably in the media/political realm of continuing to gaslight populations and force coups, color revolutions, etcs. Otherwise, economically, things aren't working out well, nor has it technologically. Biologically weapons uhhh...have already been tried. Otherwise, it sounds like there is also a plan developing to "overwhelm" with numbers, including trying to brute-force birthrates.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

The borders of the empire will continue to shrink. Back in the 20th century, you could look at a map of colonial spheres, aligned versus non-aligned. it is just things are a little more blurry now, but nevertheless, the West's power is shrinking.

A "traditional" world war 3 would either be nukes (which obviously the Russians and the Chinese would probably "win" in terms of raw damage) or conventional warfare; in both cases, the West is probably going to be on the losing end, so it doesn't really provide much incentive. The question is where the West would still have an advantage, and that is probably in the media/political realm of continuing to gaslight populations and force coups, color revolutions, etcs. Otherwise, economically, things aren't working out well, nor has it technologically. Biologically weapons uhhh...have already been tried. Otherwise, it sounds like there is also a plan developing to "overwhelm" with numbers, including trying to brute-force birthrates.

I don't think it's going to be as cut and dry as a "welp guess we're a fading imperial power, time to do The End War" scenario. I think it's going to look more like the Gaza/Yemen situation, repeated over and over again, as vassals peel away or are peeled away, the empire sends in some planes or ships and at first does some highly moral "targeted strikes" against some entrenched soldiers that accomplish nothing and subsequently turns to "well i guess they asked for it" tactics and does some deniable collateral damage bombing to demolish life-sustaining infrastructure and/or has the local proxy army or death squads start racking up the body count.

Some of those theaters will look conventional (Russia invading Ukraine), at least in part, otherwise will look wholly genocidal (Gaza), others will drag on and on like the civil war in Yemen and change their character over time. The only common thread is the hegemon and remaining vassals expending material at unsustainable rates while the unofficial borders of the dominion shrink and the economy turns into a corn-cob.

Trump running on the slogan "make america great again" is a direct, domestic acknowledgement that the zenith of the empire is passed and from here on its a bloody slog down into senescence.

So I think we're mostly saying the same things here, just my point is an ocean of blood, mostly from noncombatant civilians and kids, is going to get spilled in that series of conflicts though I doubt there will be any trench lines across continents or nuclear exchanges.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There are going to be more proxy wars, but I think the West will limited by the arms they can send into them, in a fairly direct sense. Ukraine/Gaza/Yemen are all showing pretty alarming restraints on munitions and the West doesn't have it in for a re-industrialization. I guess the West has access to ton of small-arms ammo and light vehicles...

The "jig" isn't up but it is going to clearly restrain what is going to be possible. I don't think they could just another Ukraine-style conflict, and I think there would need to be a build up even for a Gaza-style bombing campaign. Otherwise, the USN is slowly bleeding munitions in the Red Sea.

The West isn't ready for a real conflict over Taiwan, and at best, the US may put bases on the Philippines. The US isn't out of the game but is starting to search through its pockets for spare change.

The question is when WW3 will start, but when it started. (I think there is a strong case for 2014.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:52 on Jan 25, 2024

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It won't be anything dramatic. Just like a slowly dying club where less members turn up every month. We've all seen those (probably?).

I just hope we manage to keep the sacred burgers and southern fried chicken. Done right, all groumet, that stuff is great.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

DancingShade posted:

It won't be anything dramatic. Just like a slowly dying club where less members turn up every month. We've all seen those (probably?).

we’re posting in one right now

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Thing about Taiwan is, Beijing is largely in the drivers seat when they decide to push the issue, it might take longer than you think. But the process has slowly started in the trading realm.

Last time I read an interview with the Hezbollah boss, I got the sense that they are waiting for bigger external change before they start a proper conflict with Israel.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

fart simpson posted:

we’re posting in one right now

Would you bet on Somethingawful winning a war against the rest of the internet?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Under current management... yes. If I was actually a gambling person.

SA seems a lot more stable now than the last decade thats for sure.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ardennes posted:

we're definitely outlasting twitter, compared to elon jeffrey's significantly less likely to have his heart explode from a combination of ketamine, steroids, and european diet pills

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Somethingawful will definitely outlast reddit, I will give it another 5-10 years before decline.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

DancingShade posted:

I just hope we manage to keep the sacred burgers and southern fried chicken. Done right, all groumet, that stuff is great.

Yeah, look at the British Empire: there was no single dramatic moment when everything collapsed at once; it happened very gradually, over decades. And just like you rarely notice yourself aging, there's a lot of (especially older) Brits who've never properly internalised the fact that Britain is no longer a great power. If you looked at our British media for example, you could be forgiven for thinking that Britannia still rules the waves and that we're decisively intervening around the world.

I can easily imagine eg the US armed forces still maintaining their global regional combat commands, long after they've lost any ability to project force in many of them.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The US president grandly bestowing the ceremonial honour of Chief of South Asian Combat Command on a loyal subordinate, along with a shiny medallion and a hat.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, look at the British Empire: there was no single dramatic moment when everything collapsed at once; it happened very gradually, over decades. And just like you rarely notice yourself aging, there's a lot of (especially older) Brits who've never properly internalised the fact that Britain is no longer a great power. If you looked at our British media for example, you could be forgiven for thinking that Britannia still rules the waves and that we're decisively intervening around the world.

I can easily imagine eg the US armed forces still maintaining their global regional combat commands, long after they've lost any ability to project force in many of them.

I could see the US easily keeping fleets of rusting ships around with marginal usefulness just to say that they have them. If anything the hit may be harder than the one the Russians took during the 1990s because at least the Russians had state industries that were still operating at marginal levels. Otherwise, yeah, it will probably be very Britain-like, with probably even more severe regional splits and worse infrastructure. That said, Britain itself is even more screwed now because it is a lamprey on a beached whale.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Pistol_Pete posted:

To quote another poster, our soft landing is becoming the aging UK

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ardennes posted:

There are going to be more proxy wars, but I think the West will limited by the arms they can send into them, in a fairly direct sense. Ukraine/Gaza/Yemen are all showing pretty alarming restraints on munitions and the West doesn't have it in for a re-industrialization. I guess the West has access to ton of small-arms ammo and light vehicles...

The "jig" isn't up but it is going to clearly restrain what is going to be possible. I don't think they could just another Ukraine-style conflict, and I think there would need to be a build up even for a Gaza-style bombing campaign. Otherwise, the USN is slowly bleeding munitions in the Red Sea.

The West isn't ready for a real conflict over Taiwan, and at best, the US may put bases on the Philippines. The US isn't out of the game but is starting to search through its pockets for spare change.

The question is when WW3 will start, but when it started. (I think there is a strong case for 2014.)

i fr don't think the west is capable of turning the intensity of combat up much more, at all

like people are looking at it like it's not at capacity it just about is
I think it's beyond capacity for any war with China, I think all of the empty space is taken up by capital
people aren't seeing how big that number is next to everything it's huuugehow much tax dollar already goes to the military
they can't sustainably do much more and anything they do will speed things up, i think It's choked out, war would have to be funded by China lol

like think of how America would fight a war at war with China right now how would our economy stay afloat how would Europe's It can't do it It can't even beat Russia, can't even beat Yemen
there's not much in society to pull stuff out of that people will tolerate

imo oct 7th was the killing blow It locked the west down in two extra unprepared conflicts that it can't win in the long run even if it did win militarily it wasn't ready for while losing the first and unable to save any of them
I don't think they can push the grift war machine any faster I don't think the state is able to remove the grifters
i think they massively miscalculated and choked the whole war thing dry before they could start getting ahead and now they can't at all ever

I don't think they can do it, they were overly confident and overextended at the wrong moment and now by the time they're free of those drains it'll be too late and they're just won't be enough sources of profit to keep all the things that need to keep the thing going as conditions decrease

they probably actually only kept enough ammo to defend against China attacking - they can't go to war against China and China's not going to start a war, It's just going to cruise past america & the west and capitalism will collapse on its own, unable to pull anything else down with it & i don't think it'll take as long as people might be expecting this entire society and worldview is pure hubris lol nobody's going to see it coming It's like they didn't see 08 or great depression or whatever

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

nuclear armageddon isn’t very good for number. America is good at reframing defeat as victory (something their heroes the nazis also did) so it’s possible a declining empire will see more of a PR rebranding campaign rather than desperate last stands at colonial outposts. We didn’t even want to occupy that country we’re just saving money closing those bases (ala Trump)!

Unless America manages to fix at least part of its arms industry it’s not going to even be bombing weddings.

It’s not like America has any borders to defend and unlike tiny lovely England continental America has no shortage of space or resources. The American elite aren’t going to ride a nuke down Slim Pickens style. They might huff about it but they can remain rich and powerful at home.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

zetamind2000 posted:

we're definitely outlasting twitter, compared to elon jeffrey's significantly less likely to have his heart explode from a combination of ketamine, steroids, and european diet pills

nah it's elon living that will kill (is killing) twitter

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

FuzzySlippers posted:

nuclear armageddon isn’t very good for number. America is good at reframing defeat as victory (something their heroes the nazis also did) so it’s possible a declining empire will see more of a PR rebranding campaign rather than desperate last stands at colonial outposts. We didn’t even want to occupy that country we’re just saving money closing those bases (ala Trump)!

Unless America manages to fix at least part of its arms industry it’s not going to even be bombing weddings.

It’s not like America has any borders to defend and unlike tiny lovely England continental America has no shortage of space or resources. The American elite aren’t going to ride a nuke down Slim Pickens style. They might huff about it but they can remain rich and powerful at home.

I would say the breaking point will probably be the USD, that the American elite isn't going to cut back from their "lifestyle" but the USD is really the only thing holding the nation together. Otherwise, why wouldn't Texas, Alaska, or the West Coast just go their own way if they are looking to attract Yuan or sell their resources directly?

Otherwise, there will only be greater spin, gaslighting, and attempts to squeeze the population (while trying to maximize birthrates and access to cheap labor). But yeah, the US government is only going to be spending more money to buy even more expensive (and gradually obsolete or ineffective) weapons because that is how people make money. It is just yields on US bonds are going to only get higher as more and more pressure is placed on the USD.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

FuzzySlippers posted:

if they were planning on fighting they wouldn't have asked China for help with the houthis and they wouldn't be pulling out of Syria they are done you just don't wanna get your hopes up but try finding one real path to a profitable war with the one handmade artillery shell shoppe and the imaginary laser cannon on the rusty boat that's it optimal crew where if one person falls off it will sink

that's a pretend military you can't turn it into a real one against real competition unless they take their foot off the gas China would have to let America catch up again I think

America cannot tool up anything faster than China can right now nothing in the world that matters in a war

America forgot competition existed all the people who really remember what that's like are dead and their failsons don't read books and learned with Ukraine what real War and not fighting insurgent and guerilla armies and massively out advantaged enemies cod and saving Private Ryan so they figured America just makes cool stuff and it's badass and so it can just do that cuz the numbers big
they don't recognize what the country benefits from and what rich people benefit from aren't the same

how do they fix a problem they ideologically cannot see as institutions? they can't do it lol. they will not notice fast enough If they were capable of that they wouldn't have done this

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

America continues to look awfully impotent against Yemen. If they never manage to turn up the heat then I don’t think China has to worry about America even trying to defend Taiwan.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

FuzzySlippers posted:

America continues to look awfully impotent against Yemen. If they never manage to turn up the heat then I don’t think China has to worry about America even trying to defend Taiwan.

they are waiting for taiwan to apologize and ask to come back to the right team i bet
they wanna show China is supposed to be at the top of the list and can accomplish it without a war
not because China is the best
it has the most people
that's the point of the entire competing ideological system and that ideology is why they aren't loving up and going to war and getting bogged down in terrorist poo poo or doin a genocide, their growth is actual growth, sooner or later people will notice and once they move that direction like whatll stop it lol the west cant offer as good of a deal to anyone and once any country switches over to any socialist govt without being isolated or interfered with and stuff gets better than it was there too it'll be quick imo china could probably buy out all of capitalism in like 20yr, the ideology behind it fundamentally cannot compete fairly at scale once china is entirely caught up it is just a better system and this is gonna be with feudalism soon

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 10:43 on Jan 25, 2024

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Ardennes posted:

I would say the breaking point will probably be the USD, that the American elite isn't going to cut back from their "lifestyle" but the USD is really the only thing holding the nation together. Otherwise, why wouldn't Texas, Alaska, or the West Coast just go their own way if they are looking to attract Yuan or sell their resources directly?

Otherwise, there will only be greater spin, gaslighting, and attempts to squeeze the population (while trying to maximize birthrates and access to cheap labor). But yeah, the US government is only going to be spending more money to buy even more expensive (and gradually obsolete or ineffective) weapons because that is how people make money. It is just yields on US bonds are going to only get higher as more and more pressure is placed on the USD.

How much does the global facing multinational corporation running elite really depend on the USD? How much of their lifestyle actually depends on it? I’m not sure myself, but it feels like it’s easy to assume more interdependence than existed in the 20th century. They definitely climbed to the top on the strength of the USD, but maybe like a CEO using their golden parachute to flee a failing company they can cruise on even as the country crumbles.

America is just another consumer market in a world overflowing with them now. They have an ideological commitment to American supremacy but not necessarily a durable one. If a war suddenly feels real to them maybe they blink and shrug.

The future of empire could be insourcing. The coastal states stay in a looser union where they extract value out of fly over states to help stabilize their economies. This is already occurring to a degree.

They just need enough resources to play MIC/stimulus/subsidy grab rear end it doesn’t really matter in the abstract how well everything is doing. QoL is plummeting in the US already but it’s not affecting anyone who matters to decision makers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySlippers posted:

How much does the global facing multinational corporation running elite really depend on the USD? How much of their lifestyle actually depends on it?

I want to say "a lot" because they aren't inherantly profitable for the most part, just inheritor rent-seekers leeching off the ever lasting money printer. Regular grants, external cash injections etc.

If they had to produce and sell whatever based on the actual market versus government handouts and slush contracts I mean, you'd see a different landscape.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Most American corporations feed off of USD: the MIC, health care, education, finance, and the overall consumer economy. They have overseas interests, but they are if anything, experiencing even more competition abroad and will clearly be weakened without a domestic home market (this is happening to Japan). Most American interests in China for example, are often majority own by the Chinese, and American corporations got pushed out of Russia and that is just the beginning.

Also, coastal states looking for cheap labor isn't really a reason to keep the current system going, especially if they are desperate to gain more valuable Yuan. If anything, it makes more sense for them to be independent middle men.

The MIC giftting/subsidies/printing isn't infinite because, at the end of the day it comes from one source. If even more needs to be pulled from that ever year (and will accelerate with the SS trust fund giving up the ghost) the US is going to require higher yields, and higher gas prices will lead to higher yields, bailouts will lead to higher yields etc.

The US can even really produce cheap labor that is that competitive just based on the infrastructure and the costs of it, the fact that Americans are rapidly becoming even more poorly educated isn't to a benefit. Perhaps you could do some resource extraction or textiles or whatever but even then does it make sense compared to going anywhere else?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Pistol_Pete posted:

It makes me laugh when british sci fi has aliens come down and want to speak to parliament. I wonder how long until a movie where aliens even bother to blow up the white house seems quaint.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You can replace USD as a trading currency, its relatively easy to do if the US trade is taking up smaller and smaller percentage of global trade. But the investment currency is still USD. It will take a few more financial crisis/QE/waves of inflation for the global investment to slowly move from USD based to a multi currency multi goods based system.

And I think USD will suck the Yen dry and defer the financial doom to Japan first before its own crisis. Maybe to Europe too.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ardennes posted:

Most American corporations

there's too much stealing
people split this country open like a piggy bank like 20 years before I was born they're not capable of reversing it, it's only gonna speed up, pc hardware is hitting hard limits for how small/fast and that was one of the last spots they were able to get actual growth from, telecom chinas making at least the same quality at the top end of most stuff now
people forgot the number doesn't just go up because especially when a bunch of the labor is purely to make the number go up

everything about America is geared up to handle things from a position of total superiority if it's not in that it's not geared up to handle much not just well but at all can't conceive of it it's why it's the worst it can't see the actual cause bc its instinctively looking the other way at the institutional level they can't repair that they benefit from it and wouldn't benefit more from fixing it, they won't & can't consider it

FirstnameLastname has issued a correction as of 11:12 on Jan 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Number always goes up. The relative value of number, however, well that's a bit different.