Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
It always amuses me that James Hansen spent ten years studying Venusian atmospherics before moving onto climate change.

:blessed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

SniperWoreConverse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmAlQvDQGoI

the process is basically
  1. temp spike causes spike in water evap
  2. water is a low intensity, wide-band greenhouse gas, which spikes temp more
  3. eventually too much water evaporates, causing insane levels of atmospheric water content
  4. Komabayashi–Ingersoll limit is passed. The earth is no longer capable of radiating as much heat as it receives from the sun.
  5. "Primordial Venus:" the oceans rapidly entirely evaporate. Surface pressure and temp is insane. Everything is dead, but water is technically present.
  6. Last chance: geological activity may sequester enough greenhouse gas to reduce below the limit again. It may not.
  7. It might not do it fast enough because the atmosphere is being eroded by the sun, water is now being dissociated by UV
  8. Free hydrogen is being blasted out into space, reducing the amount of water in the atmosphere.
  9. Current Venus, but with a large moon. Without adding more hydrogen, or at least water, there is no return from this state.
It was calculated roughly that the average global temp being 47c could cause this, if the situation went bad enough and the atmospheric composition was unlucky enough at the time..

well if you remember this paper, co2 increases (even without warming, ie. even if we did atmospheric sulphur seeding) will result in stratocumulus clouds being unable to form properly, resulting in a massive albedo decrease and a sudden spike in global temperatures. highlights:

Possible climate transitions from breakup of stratocumulus decks under greenhouse warming posted:

Stratocumulus clouds cover 20% of the low-latitude oceans and are especially prevalent in the subtropics. They cool the Earth by shading large portions of its surface from sunlight. However, as their dynamical scales are too small to be resolvable in global climate models, predictions of their response to greenhouse warming have remained uncertain. Here we report how stratocumulus decks respond to greenhouse warming in large-eddy simulations that explicitly resolve cloud dynamics in a representative subtropical region.
In the simulations, stratocumulus decks become unstable and break up into scattered clouds when CO2 levels rise above 1,200 ppm. In addition to the warming from rising CO2 levels, this instability triggers a surface warming of about 8 K globally and 10 K in the subtropics. Once the stratocumulus decks have broken up, they only re-form once CO2 concentrations drop substantially below the level at which the instability first occurred. Climate transitions that arise from this instability may have contributed importantly to hothouse climates and abrupt climate changes in the geological past. Such transitions to a much warmer climate may also occur in the future if CO2 levels continue to rise.

Possible climate transitions from breakup of stratocumulus decks under greenhouse warming posted:

When CO2 levels are lowered again after the stratocumulus breakup, the stratocumulus decks only reform once the CO2 levels drop below 300ppm (Fig. 3a,b). That is, there is bistability as a function of CO2 levels, and this results in hysteresis.

but we're not gonna hit 1200ppm co2 any time soon, right? well, that's not the only tipping point for clouds

Losing Marine Stratocumulus Clouds Could Create a Mega-Hothouse Climate posted:

If humanity maintains its current business-as-usual emissions path for the next 100 years, the resulting 4°C (7°F) of warming may be enough to cause highly reflective stratocumulus clouds over the subtropical and tropical oceans to disintegrate, resulting in an additional 8°C (14°F) of warming, according to research published in February. The resultant “Hothouse Earth” climate, 12°C (22°F) warmer than pre-industrial levels, would be enough to melt all ice on the planet, raise sea levels by over 200 feet over a period of centuries, and produce heat waves too hot for humans to endure outdoors for over half of Earth’s population (as currently distributed.)

quote:

When might we see 1200 ppm of carbon dioxide?
The current business-as-usual emissions path humanity is on, called RCP8.5, has Earth’s atmosphere reaching carbon dioxide levels around 1100 ppm by the year 2100. This scenario would require the world to massively expand coal use and not make additional efforts to reduce greenhouse gases over the rest of this century, and is considered unlikely by some. However, as explained in our April 2 post, Global CO2 Emissions Hit an All-Time High in 2018; is a Hothouse Earth in our Future?, even if we manage to limit global warming to the Paris Accord target of 2.0°C above pre-industrial levels, we might cross a threshold that would set in motion amplifying feedbacks that could well push irreversibly into such a “Hothouse Earth” state over a period of centuries, taking us beyond the 1200 ppm of CO2 threshold.

both are from 2019. just for reference, the sudden warming since 2023 was so dramatic that we're currently hitting +2.0°C decades ahead of schedule

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

SixteenShells posted:

you can sometimes find dry ice at grocery stores, would cryogenic ethanol be a viable alternative to a high-spec freezer?

not only is it viable it's preferable unless you can afford actual lab freezers; I make do with a home grade medical freezer intended for storing small amounts of medication/etc and it maxes out around -20F.

I've done runs with dry ice in the past and it produces a more pure end product. I don't find dry ice scary to work with by a long shot; good gloves and glasses and don't be dumb. It's a 2-3hr round trip that I rarely make otherwise to get it here, though, and only on specific days of the week.

e: commercial cannabis products probably represent an absolutely silly and ludicrous waste of power too, another thing that was more or less free from the sun, which we ruined. There is absolutely zero need for indoor farming, solvent extraction, or any of the other bullshit that exists, totally possible to make >90% extracts from outdoor flower using a combination of clever mechanical processing and clever use of very basic organic chemistry.

I managed to grow enough over the summer that I mothballed my indoor operation for the year and it felt great. If you want cognitive dissonance, try reading this thread or anything like it while killing time standing inside an otherwise needless heated structure with 1kw of lights blasting.

I am all for weed legalization, obviously, but from an environmental perspective, I think it should be socialized, done entirely outdoors, and indoor operations (personal or not) should be taxed severely with the money used to put together a degrowth superPAC. or something.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 21:21 on Jan 24, 2024

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

When

If you say now, I'll

I don't have anything to threaten you with

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel Glompers posted:

When

If you say now, I'll

it's not too late to change direction

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Samuel Glompers posted:

When

If you say now, I'll

My naive read is that this refers to global average air mean temp (at 2M above sea level?). It’s currently around 15 degrees C, and those effects would occur at about 47 C.
Edit: 20th c average was 13.9C; last year averaged 15.08C
https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/monitoring/monthly-report/global/202313
So a mean temp of 47 would be like saying 33 degrees of climate change

OIL PANIC has issued a correction as of 21:41 on Jan 24, 2024

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

OIL PANIC posted:

My naive read is that this refers to global average air temp (at 2M above sea level?). It’s currently around 15 degrees C, and those effects would occur at about 47 C.
Edit: 20th c average was 13.9C; last year averaged 15.08C
https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/monitoring/monthly-report/global/202313

Ah, phew. A ~32°C increase is definitely not happening. Heck, I was getting worried about this! Time to relax

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

hamas ftw posted:

it's not too late to change direction

ahh finally ... line go down :unsmith:

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

ahh finally ... line go down :unsmith:

our long nightmare is at an end

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Samuel Glompers posted:

When

If you say now, I'll

Pretty sure they meant a global average temp not an increase so yeah now, relative to 0 degrees C

gently caress, beaten like a high temp record

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
oh whew it's not that bad yet then. gonna crack an NA beer.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Jan 24, 2024

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

Venomous posted:

is it happening yet

ARKStorm? There's some debate on the topic but probably not this time

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
we only sent one mission to Venus because under the acrid layers of dense sulfur clouds is a bunch of cars

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

it would be hilarious if Venus had a sentient race in the eons past that hosed up everything like we are doing, some sort of great filter

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Scarabrae posted:

it would be hilarious if Venus had a sentient race in the eons past that hosed up everything like we are doing, some sort of great filter

I'm increasingly sure that this exact thing happened.

they're in a better radius/surface gravity situation than Earth is. liquid water for billions of years. phosgene in the atmosphere a billion years later.

this has all happened before. and it will all happen again.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
it did they were called humans

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

hamas ftw posted:

it did they were called humans

their elon musk terraformed and colonized earth and seeded our elon musk

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

RandomBlue posted:

their elon musk terraformed and colonized earth and seeded our elon musk

huh, no wonder he looks like a weird fish man

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Stereotype posted:

we only sent one mission to Venus because under the acrid layers of dense sulfur clouds is a bunch of cars

lol, that’s a ping

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

fascinating! thanks for the info

how much land do you have set aside for this? if you're replacing an indoor operation it's gotta be not even an acre, right?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mdemone posted:

they're in a better radius/surface gravity situation than Earth is. liquid water for billions of years. phosgene in the atmosphere a billion years later.

The phosgene thing ended up false.

https://newsroom.usra.edu/no-phosphine-on-venus--according-to-observations-from-sofia/

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

celadon posted:

hm this seems to imply the easiest way to save the long term future of earth is global thermonuclear war and the destruction of all industry and human life

Best Case Scenario.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Salt Fish posted:

It probably won't. The primordial earth had all these gases in the atmosphere don't forget, and it was much hotter then we'll ever make it. WORST CASE we're looking at a billion years of sterile rock, nbd.

The big problem from this perspective is that in a billion years this planet will almost certainly no longer be able to sustain any life of any kind due to the expansion of the sun.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

if the sun expands enough to swallow the earth, will my real estate investments transfer to the 'surface' of the sun?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
really though we should just shoot a bunch of extremophile bacteria at mars and try and seed life on it that could maybe survive and evolve over hundreds of millions of years until it’s just Earth. maybe they won’t gently caress it up. third time’s the charm.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Stereotype posted:

really though we should just shoot a bunch of extremophile bacteria at mars and try and seed life on it that could maybe survive and evolve over hundreds of millions of years until it’s just Earth. maybe they won’t gently caress it up. third time’s the charm.

grabbing handfuls of tardigrades and baseball pitching them through the void into their new martian home to secure a future for earthican life

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

if the sun expands enough to swallow the earth, will my real estate investments transfer to the 'surface' of the sun?

The sun just gets more and more diffuse and doesn't have a meaningful boundary, so you can interpret this that we already live inside of it and the heliopause is where you cross outside of the sun. Stars aren't points of light, they're soap bubbles floating through space.

So what I'm saying is we're about to be in an expanding bubble and real estate is going to go up up up

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

No, sorry

The real estate market of the 2100s will be in the last vestiges of humanity scattered in domes or failing space stations buying tracts of the sun to charge people for the light they are experiencing. Larger landowners from the richest dome dwellers will get the majority of the resources and poor people's time simply by squatting on their fractional orbits while most people can never afford any of the sun at all. I assume there will be one family that owns like 40% of all light earth will experience too.

It might get off the ground sooner if Chevron realizes they can bribe the government to let them purchase the sun so solar power will now be gated by orbital sun blocking drones you have to unlock with a monthly subscription.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

celadon posted:

hm this seems to imply the easiest way to save the long term future of earth is global thermonuclear war and the destruction of all industry and human life

all that radiation would also kickstart biodiversity in a big way and create cool new animals, according to a series of video games I've played

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

SixteenShells posted:

fascinating! thanks for the info

how much land do you have set aside for this? if you're replacing an indoor operation it's gotta be not even an acre, right?

it's not even 1/3 of my 40x30 garden plot. This is as much plant matter as I would possibly want to personally process, too. Even if it were legal to grow 100 plants, I'd probably stick to current limits; trimming sucks and agriculture in general is difficult and stressful compared to not doing agriculture, especially if you're not using lovely chems.

that's 4 plants inside a 10x10 frame; IIRC I got about 12oz a pop off those, then I had 2 more that came down earlier, and I did do one massive plant in the indoor space over the summer, so I was sitting on like 80oz in October. I have no idea how much I have left, but (significantly) more than half of it and I have given tons away and also managed to trade some for synthesizers. People up here joke it's "the new zucchini", as in, the thing everyone is growing now and then the plants produce massively more than the average person uses. I am pretty sure the dispensaries are mostly making money off tourists and rich people over the age of 50. I buy a gram or two from time to time, but that's partially because my local plant store got a dispensary license and I go in there anyway and those folks have always been great, they were supplying the local grower community with supplies well before any of this stuff was legal.

e: it was a fucky summer and basically everything else in the garden sucked. Weird, tasteless tomatoes; squash that never materialized. Plus a shitload of weed, and pumpkins.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Jan 25, 2024

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

was thinking today how lucky it was that we killed all the north american buffalo. could you imagine the carbon levels today with billions more large ruminants on the plains?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Eating all of the corn and soybeans

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

was thinking today how lucky it was that we killed all the north american buffalo. could you imagine the carbon levels today with billions more large ruminants on the plains?

someone do the math on what happens if we release a virus that kills all the cows, horses and pigs :shrug:

e: what laws would that even be against? probably some very very serious ones i've never heard of. is it illegal to simply design such a virus? i feel like bioengineering is one of these fucky places where there are some thin but very hard lines between free speech and federal felonies; I remember something about a University of Buffalo professor getting in a lot of poo poo during the 2010-era anthrax scare but the details are blurry... found it:

e2: https://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/22/nyregion/22bioart.html

quote:

BUFFALO (AP) — A judge on Monday dismissed terrorism-linked charges against a college professor accused of illegally obtaining biological materials for an art exhibit protesting United States government food policies.

The judge, Richard J. Arcara of Federal District Court, ruled that a mail and wire fraud indictment brought nearly four years ago against the University at Buffalo professor, Steven J. Kurtz, was “insufficient on its face.”

Professor Kurtz is a founding member of the Critical Art Ensemble, which has used DNA and other biological materials in works meant to draw attention to political and social issues. His arrest drew international attention, with artists in several countries protesting the charges as an intrusion on artistic freedom.

He became the target of a terrorism investigation in May 2004 when firefighters found the materials — two kinds of bacteria — and equipment they deemed suspicious after a 911 call to his home. Professor Kurtz had called to report that his wife was dead, apparently from a heart attack.

Although investigators determined that lab equipment used for DNA extraction and amplification equipment were part of his artwork and that his wife, Hope Kurtz, died of natural causes, he was indicted a month later on charges that carried a maximum of 20 years in prison.

It's the sort of story that gives me pause about keeping DNA extraction and amplification equipment laying about. It's also hemmorhage inducing to contemplate how much poo poo he got in because the firemen thought DNA equipment was weird and scary, vs if he'd had a rack of AK-47s and AR-15s like a normal red blooded american.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Jan 25, 2024

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
do you know what happened last time someone in this thread talked about killing cows

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
someone doing molbio at that scale probably had a bunch of erlenmeyers and beakers, a shaker in an incubator, a thermocycler, some electrophoresis equipment (power supply, UV light box, eye protection, gel tray), a pressure cooker, and a shelf of chemicals in bottles. i can see how that would be spooky at first glance to someone who wasn't familiar with lab equipment, but it would be easy to explain. most dangerous thing there is probably the pressure cooker but half the houses on the block probably had them.

kinda surprised they went with terrorism charges and not drug lab charges

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Real hurthling! posted:

dude, that was ecologically balanced before white people ruined it. bison are selective grazers that maintained the tall grass prairie, a good carbon sink. max numbers were 30 million, the same number of beef cows we have now. they can't be added to existing cattle, because bison land is now filled with corn to feed the cattle.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/alifarhat79/status/1747299700615561343

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rauros posted:

dude, that was ecologically balanced before white people ruined it. bison are selective grazers that maintained the tall grass prairie, a good carbon sink. max numbers were 30 million, the same number of beef cows we have now. they can't be added to existing cattle, because bison land is now filled with corn to feed the cattle.

the scale of the great plains is just as mindboggling as the fact that it's completely filled with geometrically perfect circles, squares, and rectangles delineated by roads

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

mdemone posted:

third times the charm, to mars we go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mdemone posted:

babylon 5 but they're just traveling between planets within the solar system and loving up each one in turn