Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Reinstalled medieval 2 total war. Its technically the best lord of the rings game on the market.

FirstnameLastname posted:

imo strategy games died out because the entire idea of organizing at scale and producing things inherently being at least as important of a step as using whatever is produced makes no sense in general under modern consumerism thought, there is almost nothing to relate it to in most jobs

factorio makes sense to consumerism brain: only reason you'd need a factory is because you wanted to make a factory, only reason you'd want to make a factory is to make the factory and one person can infinitely increase their productivity at ever increasing scale

strategy games died out because if you wanted big epic battles you would play total war and if you wanted to nerd out be an epic autist you played paradox's offerings. Most people just want to crack open a beer and play 20 minute no rush FFAs on black forest because that poo poo is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Tankbuster posted:

Most people just want to crack open a beer and play 20 minute no rush FFAs on black forest because that poo poo is fun.

fatslob is that you?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

AOE 2 actually has a pretty good controller layout. Shame you can't access it from a PC.

the most productive the US MIC has ever been is letting phil spencer okay whatever legacy stuff nerds came up to him to pitch. Who would have thought AOE would be doing so well now while starcraft is on life support.

Endman posted:

fatslob is that you?

N-no!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Typo posted:

if I dont' want to pay $60 as entry free to the series with latest one which dominion should I pick up

As said before, Dom5 is good, I liked 4, but it doesn't feel significantly different than 5, so get 5. The latest one has some significant quality of life upgrades. Dom5 will make you feel like you travelled back to 1996 at times, it doesn't even have a multiplayer lobby.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Endman posted:

I personally really love that Age of Empires II has been consistently popular since release everywhere that isn't the United States

Apparently Vietnam is a big chunk of the community and kept interest in the game afloat in the years between the OG release and the HD versions because every computer sold there had it preinstalled or something

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Danann posted:

The F-35 is the burger supercombatant.

oh are f-35s gibbering insane gods summoned from their slumber in the underworld? would explain a lot tbh

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Endman posted:

I personally really love that Age of Empires II has been consistently popular since release everywhere that isn't the United States

Despite RTSes being dead, they're pretty much the only games that are consistently played and even officially supported decades after release. It'll be 25 years old this year and is still getting voiced official campaigns, more support than it had even when it was new. Blizzard was patching the crafts here and there, if only because it was an esport, but they aren't supporting it like AOE.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rts' may well just be like artillery and rifles - eventually you just perfect the form and there's no tangible improvement to be made so the same old trusty designs get reused in perpetuity while gimmicky grifty replacement versions come and go

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

Apparently Vietnam is a big chunk of the community and kept interest in the game afloat in the years between the OG release and the HD versions because every computer sold there had it preinstalled or something

thats Age of Empires 1. Its why that remaster/HD edition had a vietnamese civ added.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FirstnameLastname posted:

imo strategy games died out because the entire idea of organizing at scale and producing things inherently being at least as important of a step as using whatever is produced makes no sense in general under modern consumerism thought, there is almost nothing to relate it to in most jobs

factorio makes sense to consumerism brain: only reason you'd need a factory is because you wanted to make a factory, only reason you'd want to make a factory is to make the factory and one person can infinitely increase their productivity at ever increasing scale

I love this idea of "RTS games had to die because their representation of the economy was in complete opposition to neoliberal capitalism" and I think I'm going to believe that now

especially since what came in their place were RTSes that did away with base-building, or MOBAs, both of which emphasize the idea of fascist ubermensch.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

gradenko_2000 posted:

I love this idea of "RTS games had to die because their representation of the economy was in complete opposition to neoliberal capitalism" and I think I'm going to believe that now

especially since what came in their place were RTSes that did away with base-building, or MOBAs, both of which emphasize the idea of fascist ubermensch.

big problem with this theory is that RTS games proliferated in the 1990s, the most neoliberal end of history era possible

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

John Charity Spring posted:

big problem with this theory is that RTS games proliferated in the 1990s, the most neoliberal end of history era possible

Nah that just adds to the narrative: RTS games were a last, desperate gasp of a few beleaguered game designers who saw the decay of our civilisation approaching at the hands of those who fail to understand the labour villager theory of value

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
RTS games chugged along for a while but the change in the financing of videogames made the genre become increasingly small and niche. Now they are just a smaller tile in a bigger mosaic.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
rtses died because the tick tock has ruined our kids attention spans

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

the command and conquer Tiberium series was the most 90s neoliberal setting ever and the Generals series the most eerily prescient what with America constantly getting owned in it

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the tiberian wars is just a cooler fallout.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

FrancisFukyomama posted:

the command and conquer Tiberium series was the most 90s neoliberal setting ever and the Generals series the most eerily prescient what with America constantly getting owned in it

Command & Conquer 3 sucked all of the asses though, and not in a fun way.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

all the communist/ex communist countries really love to keep multiplayer afloat

shout out to the eastern euros who still playing homm3

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

gradenko_2000 posted:

RTSes are too hard there's just way too much poo poo to manage

MOBA just streamlined RTS and removed most of the tedious stuff

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Zerg are the best race because the workers turn directly into military units.

Paradoxically they are referred to as "drones" and are somehow not the true masters of Zerg society, thanks to the ideology of the developers.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Jan 25, 2024

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
While testing something in Dom6, I was reminded of how much I love using Iron Blizzard, AKA Power Word: Grapeshot

AnimeIsTrash posted:

shout out to the eastern euros who still playing homm3

:wave:
Also a fan of 4 which I consider underrated. (Well, the base game anyway, the expansion campaigns are... special...)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Homm4 is easily the most underrated in the series. Putting more emphasis on the Heroes I quite liked. Don't remember the expansions.

I think homm3 is the most overrated in the series actually. Like yeah it was a solid incremental improvement over 2, which was the same over 1, but the only reason it got the status it did is that a lot of people who played it had never played 1 or 2. I feel like 5 is a solid incremental improvement over 3 again, and yet nobody waxes poetic about it. Kinda unfair to both 5 and 3 imo. I havent played 7 and dont distinctly remember 6.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

my dad posted:

Also a fan of 4 which I consider underrated. (Well, the base game anyway, the expansion campaigns are... special...)

Gauldoth Half-Dead is the man

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

gradenko_2000 posted:

Gauldoth Half-Dead is the man

Agreed.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Slavvy posted:

Rts' may well just be like artillery and rifles - eventually you just perfect the form and there's no tangible improvement to be made so the same old trusty designs get reused in perpetuity while gimmicky grifty replacement versions come and go

It's all been downhill since Total Annihilation, really.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
RTSs really peaked in the early 2000s

those were the days: starcraft: brood wars, red alert II, age of empires II, C&C generals etc

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Age of Empires II is probably the peak form of that style of RTS. Rise of Nations was probably the best RTS from the era overall. Fuckin' loved Rise of Nations.

RTS kinda pushed too hard into the tactical aspects of combat after that with stuff like Company of Heroes. It didn't hold the same appeal for me. I think of those, the first Dawn of War was the best example.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
I like CoH a lot better than RTSes because I don't like base building at all

I think CoH 1 at least is prob the best RTS of all time

The US vs wehrmacht matchup is so finely balanced and full of possibilities I think I can prob play it forever w/o getting bored

the way a lot of RTS works is that you win by being good at the tedious stuff like building the most units (SC2 pros would literally practice executing build orders over and over again), it's just kinda boring imo. Whereas in COH you win by positioning and out-thinking your opponent.

Typo has issued a correction as of 18:14 on Jan 25, 2024

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
coh 1 was indeed the best RTS, though the expansion that added the panzer elite and british was an unbalanced mess

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

CoH1 is good. I find the second installment has a very good multiplayer component after extensive updates during the years. The third one has had a rocky start, but is allegedly getting better, so I will check it when it is on sale at some point.

As for Total Annihilation, while a personal favourite, it is really starting to show it's age. Unfortunately after Supreme Commander 1 (with FA) the tries at that flavor of RTS have been somewhat middling. Sequel was hot garbage, and both Ashes of Singularity and Planetary Annihilation didn't really manage to click.
On that front, both Sanctuary: Shattered Sun https://store.steampowered.com/app/1699050/Sanctuary_Shattered_Sun/ and Beyond All Reason https://www.beyondallreason.info/ look promising as projects, but the first won't be out for a while and the second I haven't had the time to test (and alphas are what they are)

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

quote is not edit

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

coh 1 was indeed the best RTS, though the expansion that added the panzer elite and british was an unbalanced mess

I played coh when it first came out and it was insanely unbalanced in favour of the Germans, I guess they patched that out?

Hazamuth posted:

CoH1 is good. I find the second installment has a very good multiplayer component after extensive updates during the years. The third one has had a rocky start, but is allegedly getting better, so I will check it when it is on sale at some point.

As for Total Annihilation, while a personal favourite, it is really starting to show it's age. Unfortunately after Supreme Commander 1 (with FA) the tries at that flavor of RTS have been somewhat middling. Sequel was hot garbage, and both Ashes of Singularity and Planetary Annihilation didn't really manage to click.
On that front, both Sanctuary: Shattered Sun https://store.steampowered.com/app/1699050/Sanctuary_Shattered_Sun/ and Beyond All Reason https://www.beyondallreason.info/ look promising as projects, but the first won't be out for a while and the second I haven't had the time to test (and alphas are what they are)

I remember playing I think spring? Back in the day, and it was like everything TA wanted to be but couldn't because of technological limitations. Peak rts for me.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
eh early game germans were fine, the americans just had to micro their way around where ever they set up their early MGs

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Typo posted:

RTSs really peaked in the early 2000s

those were the days: starcraft: brood wars, red alert II, age of empires II, C&C generals etc

Stronghold perfected the castle sim RTS with Crusader and then the company just made worse and worse sequels.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Slavvy posted:

I played coh when it first came out and it was insanely unbalanced in favour of the Germans, I guess they patched that out?

I remember playing I think spring? Back in the day, and it was like everything TA wanted to be but couldn't because of technological limitations. Peak rts for me.

Spring was indeed a good stopgap for a while and there have been some newer (still free) releases on the engine: https://store.steampowered.com/app/334920/ZeroK/

Also have to mention that there is a fan made lobby and chat client for Supreme Commander that I highly recommend: https://www.faforever.com/ It also comes with downloadable maps, the ability to play SP campaigns in coop, of course, balancing.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Orange Devil posted:

Homm4 is easily the most underrated in the series. Putting more emphasis on the Heroes I quite liked. Don't remember the expansions

I liked 4, but making heroes into units didn't really work for HoMM style combat. It was fun in games like Age of Wonders because that focuses on squad level combat, but Heroes games are about armies, and if an entire pack of black dragons wants your hero dead there isn't poo poo you can (or should) be able to do about it.

Hard agree on 3 being overrated, although 2 is still my favorite after 25 years of playing it so maybe I'm just weird.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Homm2 has a great art style. The vampires wear capes of a go "bleh!" like they should.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Homm2 has a great art style. The vampires wear capes of a go "bleh!" like they should.

That's honestly a big part of it. Heroes 2 was masterpiece of pixel art , but then 3 and 4 had the misfortune to be released in that 1999-2004 ish window where graphics in general were the absolute ugliest they'd ever get.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I know many people loved CoH, but I could never really get into it. It just felt like bad Close Combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Jabarto posted:

That's honestly a big part of it. Heroes 2 was masterpiece of pixel art , but then 3 and 4 had the misfortune to be released in that 1999-2004 ish window where graphics in general were the absolute ugliest they'd ever get.

4 is uglier than 3, I'll concede that. I think the heroes as units worked pretty well, actually.

Close combat is still an absolutely unique series unfortunately. It peaked with CC2, but everything after that was still fun.