Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.reuters.com/business/reinsurance-rates-rise-2024-soften-2025-fitch-analyst-2023-09-07/
https://www.artemis.bm/news/us-property-cat-reinsurance-rates-up-116-since-2017-guy-carpenter/

Reinsurance* rates have gone way way up in the last two years. This means the insurance companies have much higher costs and they are trying to find some way to pinch pennies in response.

* Your insurance company can buy insurance for their insurance plan. In modern capitalism, it's pretty common for the company that insures your insurance company to then get their own insurance from another group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

haveblue posted:

A few days ago a post was made on an aviation insider news site setting forth a trail of bureaucratic and procedural failures that led to an Alaska Airlines 737 MAX's door panel falling off mid-flight two weeks ago. The post was made by an anonymous user who was upfront about their lack of credibility, but the post's contents have now been verified by the Seattle Times (without identifying the poster).

The original post presents an extensive and detailed narrative about how Boeing's complex sign-off and accountability procedures failed to track a basic repair job across overlapping areas of responsibility. It lays ultimate blame at the feet of executives who have ruined the company's culture of safety over the years since it merged with McDonnell-Douglas.

listen, no one could have seen this coming, anyway on an unrelated note here's a 2019 article about boeing's plan to fire a third of their quality control inspectors

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Misunderstood posted:

I think there are plenty of well-run Democrat dominated states. New York has similar problems to California so it might be more of a “large state” than “one party” problem.

Texas and Florida are governed poorly on purpose so they’re difficult to account for.

I can’t say how much blame Newsom bears; obviously Californian dysfunction wasn’t in invented five years ago. I’d be interested in what Cali goons have to say. But I am quite sure we can do better than that, anyway.

As a Cali goon there are some broken things but there are also a lot of things that aren’t really within the government’s control at play. PGE should’ve been made public sure, though I don’t think that’s any more likely if we’re purple instead of blue. I don’t think there’s another state’s government I would rather have.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

The "outdated regulatory system" insurers are complaining about was imposed by a ballot initiative, passed directly by the voters and added directly into the state constitution.

The insurance commissioner who oversees the system is elected, too. I can't really blame a directly-elected official for refusing insurers' requests to raise rates by 25% or more.
Doesn't California have a bunch of these stupid ballot initiatives passed directly by the voters that are crippling the state?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

mobby_6kl posted:

Doesn't California have a bunch of these stupid ballot initiatives passed directly by the voters that are crippling the state?

probably

I mean it's also a big state with a huge economy that sometimes tries to do big things when they have money and then when that turns into a deficit people act all crazy and call it poorly run

also has several large cities that are as usual targeted as crime ridden cesspits by conservatives

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Why would a trump voter ever vote for a woman? Let alone an Indian woman? That's crazy.

Considering this whole movement of electing absolute morons as long as they are fash and aggressively stupid enough started with Sarah Palin, I'd say there's an outside chance Trump's successor ends up being a woman. Chuds are walking monuments to internally inconsistent actions and beliefs.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

mobby_6kl posted:

off the top of my head the only thing that comes to mind is prop 13 from the late 70's, which freezes property taxes which hamstrings municipalities

there were some dumb term limits that made state politics real bad for a while, but we got rid of those

as a random goon living in ca i have a lot of issues with our state government (especially the fact that they refuse to bargain with my union in good faith), but it doesn't strike me as uniquely terrible

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

there were some dumb term limits that made state politics real bad for a while, but we got rid of those

Would you (or someone) mind going into more detail about this? I have a bunch of people who seem to think term limits are a panacea and I'd like to have some examples to hand

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Prop 65 Warning: This post contains ingredients known by the State of California to cause cancer

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

Would you (or someone) mind going into more detail about this? I have a bunch of people who seem to think term limits are a panacea and I'd like to have some examples to hand

Lots and lots of reasons but my main one is that being a good lawmaker is something that you learn how to do and turning over half your legislature every term is going to lead to a much higher percentage of inexperienced morons who don't know what they're doing and have no institutional knowledge or experience.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Lots and lots of reasons but my main one is that being a good lawmaker is something that you learn how to do and turning over half your legislature every term is going to lead to a much higher percentage of inexperienced morons who don't know what they're doing and have no institutional knowledge or experience.

Yeah I know that in principle, basically you guarantee that the lawmaking apparatus gets outsourced to unelected experts because the actual elected positions have no chance of building that institutional knowledge, but were there specific examples of stuff that happened?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

mobby_6kl posted:

Some of them are dumb, but others are very reasonable. I think no one would really care that much about the amount of ballot initiatives in California were it not for Proposition 13. Proposition 13 is a curse placed on this entire state by the boomers of 1978.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

DarkHorse posted:

here's the text of the ballot initiative which fixed some of the issues, and has the official pro and con arguments: https://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_28,_Change_in_State_Legislative_Term_Limits_Initiative_(June_2012)

essentially legislators were limited to 6 years in the assembly and 8 year in state senate. this led to a lot of issues with assembly members taking their first two year term getting up to speed on basic process, their second term getting up to speed on the details on important issues, and then the final term desperately maneuvering for a state senate position. institutional memory was non-existent and lobbyists were pretty much the only ones actually drafting and advancing legislation because they were the only ones who knew how (this is an issue without strict term limits as well, but nowhere near as bad), and no one could form the working relationships necessary to create and advance medium to long term legislative initiatives

after about 20 years of this voters approved prop 28, which creates a universal term limit of 12 years in the state legislature, which is shorter than the 14 you could theoretically get under the previous limits (this was mostly done in an effort to cut off criticisms that it was a power grab), but encourages members to spend their time in one chamber to make more efficient use of their time in office

i don't have any hard metrics to point to, but subjectively the state government functions way better now than it ever did during the davis or schwarzenegger administrations

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 25, 2024

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
private biz dont have term limits, if we want gov to be more like biz then we shouldnt have term limits.

or maybe biz should have term limits.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. its also gonna be a pretty big field of canidates and a lot of actually decent/good ones too. i dont think newsome gets it but who knows. harris i dont think gets it either.

who are the good candidates, I am curious

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tatsuta Age posted:

Big Gretch

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

Unironically Pritzker, though I'm always expecting some Illinois native to correct me with some breaking corruption scandal.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
We like our large gazillionaire governor.

Unless you are in southern Illinois and he is everything that is wrong in the world because he supported masking and vaccines.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Morrow posted:

Unironically Pritzker, though I'm always expecting some Illinois native to correct me with some breaking corruption scandal.

I mean when he was campaigning I was convinced there would be one, and it kills me a little to be cheering for a billionaire so hard but he kinda loving rules.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Also at a parade someone threw a random jelly shot at him. He caught it one handed and downed it.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Lager posted:

I mean when he was campaigning I was convinced there would be one, and it kills me a little to be cheering for a billionaire so hard but he kinda loving rules.

Well, we keep saying "Why are billionaires always spending money on vanity poo poo like big penis rockets? Why can't they actually spend that money for good?" I guess Pritzker decided to use it to run for office and be decent.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Nash posted:

Also at a parade someone threw a random jelly shot at him. He caught it one handed and downed it.

https://twitter.com/vashon_photo/status/1673120836100734979/photo/1

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
Knowing nothing about him, I had assumed Priztker was some stereotypical corrupt, scandal ridden rear end in a top hat like [what seems to be] all Illinois politicians. I never actually paid attention to him, but y'all are making me re-think my biases.

Also, TBH, catching/downing a jello shot at the pride parade is a baller move.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 25, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ted Cruz'll press charges over such things

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

God’s work sir

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Ms Adequate posted:

Comedy ruling: Natural-born means those who were pushed out of their momma. If you were delivered via c-section, tough titties.

Despair thy charm! The Donald was (not) from his mother’s womb untimely ripped!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Pritzker is the large guy in the front, he is the most obvious mobster ever

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I suppose I'm paranoid, but eating a jell-o shot thrown at you feels like a 50-50 chance of having a fun surprise LSD trip, or whatever the kids are into these days :ohdear:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Rappaport posted:

I suppose I'm paranoid, but eating a jell-o shot thrown at you feels like a 50-50 chance of having a fun surprise LSD trip, or whatever the kids are into these days :ohdear:

That or the COVID vaccine nanobots :tinfoil:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That's malicious, connecting someone to the Eschaton is doing them a favour!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nervous posted:

That or the COVID vaccine nanobots :tinfoil:

If they had managed to formulate the vaccine into a free tasty treat, US vaccination compliance would be like >95%.

Also on the Pritzker train, not sure how much of that is just because it keeps coming up on Chapo but it seems like an obvious choice. (Also I believe one of the Biedermans worked with him at some point, so there's possible astroturfing if you squint at it hard enough that it breaks your brain). Obviously, gently caress a billionaire, but he has the resources to run a fairly independent campaign and his record is fair to decent.

I'm expecting 28 to come down to Newsom and Pritzker.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

On the other hand, without term limits, you get situations like former Sen Dianne Feinstein staying in office long after her “Best Before” date, so perhaps they aren’t all bad.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Kalli posted:

The Roe backdrop is also like the clear focus of the Biden re-election strategy, and imo pairs nicely with this clip from face the nation a few days back with a voter:

https://twitter.com/umichvoter/status/1749199308610556129
When and why the gently caress did Americans all start saying "anaesteezha" instead of anaesthesia? I've noticed a bunch of americans doing the same thing with "aesthetic", turning it into "aztetic".

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

The Artificial Kid posted:

When and why the gently caress did Americans all start saying "anaesteezha" instead of anaesthesia? I've noticed a bunch of americans doing the same thing with "aesthetic", turning it into "aztetic".

its pretty much how that phoneme is pronounced

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anesthesia

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Morrow posted:

It’s not a scandal in the sense that nobody seems to care (because nobody cares about old people in nursing homes) but this is fairly damning in my eyes:

quote:

Families who’ve lost loved ones in nursing homes during the coronavirus pandemic, patient advocates and attorneys are blasting an executive order issued by Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker that they said protect an industry with a long history of issues.

“Families deserve answers. Families deserve to know what happened with their loved ones,” said Steve Levin, an attorney with Levin & Perconti.

In early April, Pritzker issued an order that provides immunity to hospitals, nursing homes and other health care facilities from civil liability for any injury or death, except in cases of gross negligence or willful misconduct, occurring at a time when the home or facility was “rendering assistance to the State” in response to the COVID-19 outbreak.

A governor’s spokeswoman defined “rendering assistance” as conducting widespread coronavirus testing of residents and staff, accepting transfer of COVID-19 patients, preserving personal protective equipment, among other requirements.

“The Executive Orders do not prevent lawsuits against nursing homes,” said a governor’s spokeswoman. “If it is determined that the nursing home was not taking steps to render assistance to the State, such as instituting appropriate infection control measures, the Executive Orders would not provide protection from liability.”

But plaintiffs’ attorneys said the orders are too broad and seeks to immunize facilities that have been rife with abuse.

“The pandemic blew the doors off. (The facilities) did not have the right staff, the right supplies, the right training and the right infection control procedures to deal with ordinary communicable diseases, let alone the pandemic,” Levin said.

The Illinois Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, a resident-directed advocacy program, is among those critical of the governor’s order.

“Judicial recourse discourages current and future bad practices by nursing homes and helps bring about positive health outcomes for nursing home residents,” said Kelly Richards, Illinois State Long-Term Care Ombudsman. “By allowing nursing homes to operate without this important check, we sacrifice one of the most effective tools in ensuring our fellow citizens are not neglected and harmed.”

Critics also said the administration did not seek the input of patient advocates and plaintiffs’ attorneys in drafting the order.

Jacqueline Stevens, a political science professor from Northwestern University, said the order raised questions about “the influences, the beneficiaries of that very broad policy without the deliberative process of the legislative body.”

Under the Freedom of Information Act, Stevens requested all correspondence from members of the governor’s office in relation to the order. She said she found hospital CEOs and lobbyists for the nursing home industry were consulted but not patient advocates, according to a story she penned for the Chicago Reader.

“It was very clear on who was being consulted and who was being left out,” Stevens said.

When asked about who weighed in on the order, a governor’s spokeswoman would only say the administration “discussed the legal issues and provisions with people internally and externally and tried to carefully consider all of the possible issues.”

The Health Care Council of Illinois, which represents more than 300 long-term care facilities, said providing immunity was necessary for staff to focus on critical care instead of worrying about legal consequences.

“Nursing homes being targeted for litigation is relatively unfair, given the insurmountable obstacles they’ve had to face in providing care to medically-complex residents in the face of a lack of testing, a lack of PPE and an ever-changing guidance from multiple regulatory agencies,” said health care attorney Meredith Duncan.

In Illinois, 54 percent of all coronavirus-related fatalities have occurred among residents of long-term care facilities, according to the latest data posted on the Illinois Department of Public Health website.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/families-gov-pritzkers-nursing-home-liability-order-strips-justice/2295452/

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Artificial Kid posted:

There are multiple ways to pronounce the words, favored by different regional dialects.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The deal that had been under discussion to trade border/immigration concessions for more funding for Ukraine/Israel funding is apparently dead. This appears to have come from McConnell who believes that this deal would now hurt Trump’s chances in the general.

https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1750484746692448438?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Is McConnell back to making decisions, and not just randomly freezing and clipping through walls?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Barely utter Trump's name because he's so disgusted, or because his ancient syphilitic brain is paralyzed and misfiring once again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There are multiple ways to pronounce the words, favored by different regional dialects.

Not where I'm from!

But seriously, it's fine for people to pronounce words how they like. I've just noticed a particular fad recently for turning mid-word "sth"s into "st"s in American media.

I wasn't really referring to the tail end of the word,I was more interested in the tendency to turn the "th" into a "t" sound.