Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

yes, just the media player software. Server is on an actual server. I'm just wondering if more options are available, I've done YouTube via the Firefox trick and Netflix via emudeck which are fine. Plex is the one that gives me buffering and controls issues via flat pack and emudeck methods so I'm wondering if there's something more useful. I also can't seem to find good control configurations for plex and it would inevitably reset controls I configured for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah they vent at you for paragraphs if you bring up their mom.

Rupert we've been posting bros for a decade and this is your greatest one :tipshat:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

I don't get it.
Please explain?
(Also is anyone else playing Kanto Expansion Pack or Pokemon Pyrite on the Deck?)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

beep by grandpa posted:

Rupert we've been posting bros for a decade and this is your greatest one :tipshat:

This means a lot, no sarcasm.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

I don't get it.
Please explain?
(Also is anyone else playing Kanto Expansion Pack or Pokemon Pyrite on the Deck?)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1955

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

What the gently caress

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

What the gently caress

Things were different here 15 years ago.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Microwave posted really fun cyoa threads and drew my avatar.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Annath posted:

Are you trying to run a Plex server off your Deck?

You only need the Plex software to run the server. If you're trying access a server you can just use the web browser.

Android, and I assume iOS, have clients, but you shouldn't need that on the Deck since it's literally just a laptop minus the lap bit.

It looks like I resolved this by just going to the Discover store and finding out there's a flatpak called "Plex HTPC". I redownloaded the original Plex flatpak originally and it made everything come out in 4:3 which... lol

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

good lord

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lol

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

:perfect:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

My deck now has a resuming connecting to steam splash screen that I cant get past until the deck connects to the internet. I only use it at home so its not a big deal but its pretty annoying.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Deck Discord is fun and good and full of cool people.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If anyone tries enshrouded on their deck HMU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

please do not make jokes about microwave's mom. we have been married for eleven years and she is a lovely woman

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Weedle posted:

please do not make jokes about microwave's mom. we have been married for eleven years and she is a lovely woman

mazel tov

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I just saw the post year of the SAclopedia entry above re: Microwaves mom and Im feeling bad :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've been playing Tetris Effect Connected on Switch and thinking of how much I'd rather play it on the deck.

I originally got it a while ago and I couldn't quite grasp why I wasn't loving it as much as everyone else seemed to, and then it hit me; I played so much TetrisDS back in the day and have held that game up on an impossible pedestal as the best Tetris game ever conceived.

It's obvious that Nintendo, nor the Tetris Company are interested in remaking it ever, so it'll still live on as maybe my favourite DS game of all-time (even beating out Hotel Dusk), but if I don't go into TE:C expecting Tetris DS, it's so much better.

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

I've been playing Tetris Effect Connected on Switch and thinking of how much I'd rather play it on the deck.

I originally got it a while ago and I couldn't quite grasp why I wasn't loving it as much as everyone else seemed to, and then it hit me; I played so much TetrisDS back in the day and have held that game up on an impossible pedestal as the best Tetris game ever conceived.

It's obvious that Nintendo, nor the Tetris Company are interested in remaking it ever, so it'll still live on as maybe my favourite DS game of all-time (even beating out Hotel Dusk), but if I don't go into TE:C expecting Tetris DS, it's so much better.

You would hypothetically lose the HD Rumble if that's something you care about, but I've only played on PS4/5 so I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes on Switch.

I had considered double-dipping to try the Switch version rumble, but the haptics on the DualSense wiped that urge.

Are there other benefits to playing it on Steam Deck?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

vogonity posted:

You would hypothetically lose the HD Rumble if that's something you care about, but I've only played on PS4/5 so I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes on Switch.

I had considered double-dipping to try the Switch version rumble, but the haptics on the DualSense wiped that urge.

I don't care about rumble and just generally play my deck more than the Switch.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

vogonity posted:

If you have the OLED, you got HDR which REALLY makes the game pop.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I play real slow on the first Tetris Effect level so I can get the full song because it is absolutely transcendent with headphones and on drugs and especially in VR if you can do it

Listening to it outside the game is good but playing while it's playing loving rules

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 25, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I can't get my GameCube games to run on emudeck. Do they need to be extracted from the zip files?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Squiggle posted:

I play real slow on the first Tetris Effect level so I can get the full song because it is absolutely transcendent with headphones and on drugs and especially in VR if you can do it

Listening to it outside the game is good but playing while it's playing loving rules

I spent one depressed night 2 years ago getting extremely drunk at home and listening to the Tetris Effect soundtrack and I think it's one of the most emotional experiences I've ever had listening to music. So They Say and Metamorphosis especially

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Squiggle posted:

all i knew about this game going in was "tetris with a killer soundtrack" and boy oh boy was that first level a treat. one of the best introductions to a game ever

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

IAmTheRad posted:

If you have the OLED, you got HDR which REALLY makes the game pop.

Ahh right! Ok, now I want to own more Tetris Effect again.

Squiggle posted:

I definitely teared up while playing that song for the first time, on PSVR.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Shard posted:

I can't get my GameCube games to run on emudeck. Do they need to be extracted from the zip files?

You need to buy a Gamecube, manufactured by The Nintendo Corporation, silly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

One thing I really love about Tetris Effect is that the sound effects for your movements are not just in the same key as the song, so not only does it not sound dissonant, but it actually goes along with it all, but the timing of the sound effects are manipulated so they match up with the tempo.

If you play Classic Score Attack, that's the best place to notice this; the game won't play a given sound effect quite when you move or turn a piece, but rather that sound will wait until next beat (probably 16th note?) to happen and then it'll play it. So it's like you're musically improvising over the track.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I really enjoy the crazy jazz piano level for that reason.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MarcusSA posted:

Curious about this one too.

In other news: Midnight Suns is great on the deck, the controls are A+

It is also absolutely a game where you need to throttle how many resources it gets because lmao it gets less battery time than BG3 out of the gate.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Cyrano4747 posted:

Curious about this one too.

In other news: Midnight Suns is great on the deck, the controls are A+

It is also absolutely a game where you need to throttle how many resources it gets because lmao it gets less battery time than BG3 out of the gate.

Can you point to a resource on how to do this? Midnight Suns is my current main game and while I normally play plugged in anyway, lowering the fan noise at the very least would be nice.

Speaking of Midnight Suns, maybe this is normal and I've just never experienced it, but the game, specifically the character voices, sounds completely different if I'm listening through the system speakers vs. if I'm listening through my bluetooth headphones. I've never noticed this distinction with any other device and these headphones. Is there some sort of setting for bass boost or some other sort of sound processing for headphones specifically on the Deck?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Curious about this. Looks neat, but EA + silver on ProtonDB makes me pretty skeptical.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Klungar posted:

Can you point to a resource on how to do this? Midnight Suns is my current main game and while I normally play plugged in anyway, lowering the fan noise at the very least would be nice.

Speaking of Midnight Suns, maybe this is normal and I've just never experienced it, but the game, specifically the character voices, sounds completely different if I'm listening through the system speakers vs. if I'm listening through my bluetooth headphones. I've never noticed this distinction with any other device and these headphones. Is there some sort of setting for bass boost or some other sort of sound processing for headphones specifically on the Deck?

Press the right side "..." button, go into the power settings (battery icon), toggle "use per-game profile". Toggle the button that says TDP and turn it down until you get stuttering, then turn it up a notch or two from there.

Scroll further down and toggle on GPU scaling, and see if you can reduce that without getting stuttering.

I haven't played Midnight Suns, so I don't know if it works with a framerate other than 30/60 - some games get weird audio issues when not run at one of those rates - but try 40fps and see what happens.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Deck Dock was throwing some weird resolution onto my monitor and now it won't connect to the monitor at all. It has been wildly inconsistent for the past few months.

Redditor seems to suggest a hard reset clears it up. Not home at the moment but sucks the official dock is still so finicky.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Mine is always finicky, if I havent used it in awhile I have to prepare to unplug and replug it 8 times before my tv sees it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Rolo posted:

Mine is always finicky, if I havent used it in awhile I have to prepare to unplug and replug it 8 times before my tv sees it.

Exactly what I've been doing but it now seems to not even work after all that. It didn't start like this either, which is extra frustrating

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

For me, if you boot the deck with it plugged into the dock already it will fail to cast to the TV. However if you unplug the deck first, then boot it'll cast fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've been wanting to try the new Diablo 4 season on my SteamDeck, but I bought it on the Blizzard store before it came out for Steam.

Does getting Blizzard launcher games running still require installing a different version of Proton?

Google isn't helping much. The only new-ish article I can find requires having Lutris, and I don't even know what that is.