Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i remember that western companies are pretty much the sole source of equipment for developing new wells, is it a similar story for bulk storage, or is that something fairly easily sourced from china?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Disco Pope posted:

The POWs were just big sticks of hissing dynamite with smiley faces and Ukrainian jackets stuck on.

:lol:

weg posted:

This is gonna sound crazy so just hear me out. Russia shouldn't have invaded and taken anyone out of the country.

reported for bloodlust :toughguy:

Zeromus posted:

I dunno, I'm not a plane crash expert but that seemed like a pretty big explosion for a plane carrying 76 POW's and nothing else. Usually planes are filled with enough fuel to get them from point A to point B. How long after takeoff did the plane go down?

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1750081231113322908

(edited for typos and video)

it's not really that far out of line, it looks like the slow combustion you'd expect for fuel. iirc at least here in the west aircraft are supposed to carry enough fuel to reach the original destination airport, then a nominated alternate airport, then 30-45m after that, so reaching your original destination airport in something like a jet will still leave a nontrivial amount of fuel in the tanks.
also sometimes they'll have 'extra' fuel to make weight and balance work out right, but I think that's less common, but who knows on soviet engineering.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1750266231838441764#m
Always a good day when terrorists' money goes up in flames.

Ukraine's strategy of reversing Russia's tit-for-tat attacks is brilliant. Early in the war, Russia practiced slapping down Ukraine after the defenders consistently took out specific high-value targets. Now when Russia sends drones to Kyiv, Ukraine sends drones to Moscow. When Russia attacks Ukraine's energy grid over the winter Ukraine attacks Russian energy assets, which are now more unprotected than Ukraine's.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

You can hard boil so many eggs over those fires. It explains the egg prices

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

If they hadn't replaced all the ERA with egg cartons it would be easier to transport eggs, increasing overall egg availability.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

Sedgr posted:

If they hadn't replaced all the ERA with egg cartons it would be easier to transport eggs, increasing overall egg availability.

You'd think someone in the Russian military would see an egg carton and draw the logical conclusion to pallets.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

edit: accidental post

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

DiomedesGodshill posted:

You'd think someone in the Russian military would see an egg carton and draw the logical conclusion to pallets.

Maybe they don't use egg cartons. Like how in Canada milk comes in a bag instead of a carton.

If you can bag milk, you can bag anything. Bullets, missiles, fuel, cans of pig noses.
Pallets are so, like, 90's.

I'm gonna take a break from the thread. There's so much suffering going on and it's all meaningless. Russia could have just not done this and everyone whould have had electricity and hot water in the middle of loving winter. But Putin had to Putin.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 25, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RBA-Wintrow posted:

I'm gonna take a break from the thread. There's so much suffering going on and it's all meaningless. Russia could have just not done this and everyone whould have had electricity and hot water in the middle of loving winter. But Putin had to Putin.

Yeah good idea, take a break, check out the I/P thread instead for a palate cleanser

zone
Dec 6, 2016

"Don't post BDA or bad things will happen to you"

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Could I put ERA on my plane asking for a friend

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

If there is space left after they cover the plane in spare tires,Yes.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
According to current Russian army doctrine you can do whatever you want as long as it looks dangerous, particularly to yourself if possible.

We can't confirm or deny that Prigozhin put ERA on his jet.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

weg posted:

According to current Russian army doctrine you can do whatever you want as long as it looks dangerous, particularly to yourself if possible.

We can't confirm or deny that Prigozhin put ERA on his jet.

Ah, so this whole war was just a Jackass skit that is long overstaying its welcome.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
I'm Vladdy Moskva and welcome to Blyatass

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Vaginaface posted:

Could I put ERA on my plane asking for a friend

is ERA in the room with us right now?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I would like to clarify that I would like this upcoming weekend's Russian airframe losses to result injuries not amounting to so much as a single pinched nerve or mouth-roof scalded by hot pizza cheese. I hope everyone ejects safely. But let those irreplaceable aluminum shitheap nineteen thousand flight hours without so much as a fresh coat of speed tape deathtraps hit the floor.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1750408827072106609#m
:dukedog:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

There were Ukrainian POWs in that gas plant.

Also there were a few dozen Ukrainian POWs in that airboat production shop as well. They're highly explosive and flammable.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

There were Ukrainian POWs in that gas plant.

Also there were a few dozen Ukrainian POWs in that airboat production shop as well. They're highly explosive and flammable.

I mean, you're joking but at this point I wouldn't put it past Russia to use PoW's and Ukrainians from the occupied territories as forced labor, like Germany did in WW2.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Евге́ний Ви́кторович Приго́жин was a Ukrainian prisoner of war.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Евге́ний Ви́кторович Приго́жин was a Ukrainian prisoner of war.

No native Russian would have diacritics in his name. I heard he even used ё instead of е sometimes. 100% Ukrainian spy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

poor waif posted:

No native Russian would have diacritics in his name. I heard he even used ё instead of е sometimes. 100% Ukrainian spy.

I saw him type smiles with a colon, like he's not even slavic

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
... but its a slav vs slav war tho

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

this poo poo seems to be happening a lot more often recently

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
I can slav squat but it hurts my knees too quickly to be viable. I gots dem bitch knees.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

This war was such bullshit and I want to go back to gungame on counterstrike

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Just Another Lurker posted:

Russian Bladerunner intro... much disappointment. :negative:

Blyatrunner.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

weg posted:

I'm Vladdy Moskva and welcome to Blyatass
New thread title right there.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I had to take a break from war news because it's all loving heartbreaking, can anyone give me a short situation status? Is it just a deadlock on the front?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1750475699712876718?s=20
A foolish mistake cost a number of enemy drone operators their lives when they were at their training ground.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

... but its a slav vs slav war tho

I heard from the troops that they're mostly fighting African-American Norwegians.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Anders posted:

I had to take a break from war news because it's all loving heartbreaking, can anyone give me a short situation status? Is it just a deadlock on the front?

https://ecfr.eu/publication/beyond-the-counter-offensive-attrition-stalemate-and-the-future-of-the-war-in-ukraine/

quote:

- Russia and Ukraine are engaged in a war of attrition – which on current projections Russia is set to win.

- Ukraine can only achieve its war aims if it moves to a war of manoeuvre; without this, it cannot regain its lost territory.

- Western supplies and efforts at defence-industrial consolidation are failing to provide Ukraine with the replacement armaments it needs to survive the war of attrition, let alone switch to manoeuvre warfare.

- The West and Europeans in particular need to overhaul their financial regulations and create economies of scale to radically stimulate the production of drones, ammunition, armoured fighting vehicles, and more.

- Only if they carefully absorb the lessons learned from this war will Europeans be ready for the types of great power confrontation that are becoming more likely in the 21st century

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Anders posted:

Russian army is making slight advances across certain areas in the east of the frontline, which is good for their daily propaganda, but in practice means getting soldiers to put a flag on rubble and then get striked by Ukranian artilery.
Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah for as much as this is a war of attrition (which to be fair, Russia can win), the real question is what happens after- even if Russia did win a conventional military victory, they are in no way prepared for the actual hard part, which is the occupation. Just look at the USA's own efforts in the Middle East or Southeast Asia: Plenty of conventional military victories, but the strain of actually having and supporting boots on the ground defeated the greatest military machine on the planet. From what I hear, the actual breaking point for Russia is the next American election- if the right-wing claim victory, they could claw back some measure of victory because you know Republicans would roll over for big strong fash daddy.

Burns
May 10, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah for as much as this is a war of attrition (which to be fair, Russia can win), the real question is what happens after- even if Russia did win a conventional military victory, they are in no way prepared for the actual hard part, which is the occupation. Just look at the USA's own efforts in the Middle East or Southeast Asia: Plenty of conventional military victories, but the strain of actually having and supporting boots on the ground defeated the greatest military machine on the planet. From what I hear, the actual breaking point for Russia is the next American election- if the right-wing claim victory, they could claw back some measure of victory because you know Republicans would roll over for big strong fash daddy.

Its easy to do an occupation if you just genocide and displace the existing population.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Anders posted:

Ukraine seems to be politically paralyzed in how to carry out mobilization so they're running low on men.

Congress's unwillingness to pass aid to Ukraine has left them extremely low on ammunition.

Neither problem is permanent but things look pretty bleak at the moment.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Burns posted:

Its easy to do an occupation if you just genocide and displace the existing population.
This has to have been part of the original plan in Feb 2022.

Its pretty clear Russia's leadership knew they would need to liquidate a large number of active resisters (plus any elites that could not be co-opted - hence all those mobile crematoriums), and then begin a sustained campaign of violence and oppression to brutalise the remaining democratic leaning Ukrainians, until they were either disillusioned and disempowered into submission, or gave up and left the country.

And creating a wave of millions of Ukrainian refugees into Europe is an absolute win-win for Putin and definitely part of his strategy. It:

1: casts out the 'undesirable population' who cannot be reconciled to Russian occupation and Russification
2: directly erodes Western sympathy and material support for Ukraine and Ukrainians, due to the populist backlash against refugees. This lightens the costs of occupation, and I'm sure Russia would love to push a 'Western betrayal' narrative to Ukrainians to try to make it easier to absorb and assimilate them.
3: leads to a surge in support for the far right, further weakening and fracturing Europe - thus creating more opportunities for Russia to extend its influence and sphere of domination.

There is no way any of this wasn't part of Putin's thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bashez posted:

Ukraine seems to be politically paralyzed in how to carry out mobilization so they're running low on men.

Congress's unwillingness to pass aid to Ukraine has left them extremely low on ammunition.

Neither problem is permanent but things look pretty bleak at the moment.

Its more Ukraine is not willing to sacrifice what economy and workforce they have left, unlike Russia - But that isn't working out in Russia's case either given current trends in Russian industry.

Its not bleak, its not great either, but Russia still isn't making significant progress and even assuming an attrition war - Russia does not have the forces, training, or even logistics to return to large scale maneuvering anytime soon.