Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

fermun posted:

one of the roads that i take when i bike to work has signs all along the bike lane that let you know the streetlights are timed for 13mph, and it's a very pleasant speed

I bike on one of these pretty regularly and it's extremely satisfying to coast on down while still beating cars who feel the need to go 35 between lights

also my limit for precariously balancing a box of pizza on the handlebars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

withak posted:

Learning that you can only go as fast as the person in front of you is a valuable life lesson.

I can accept that in a car or walking, but for some reason every person in front of me on a bike is a challenge. Even if we're all stopping in the same place in a bit.

idgaf if I'm on a bikeshare and you're on a carbon road bike, it is on.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If someone in front of me is going faster than me on their bike you better believe that's a challenge issued to pass them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No, this is the most liberal car.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

One of the hardest parts of riding a bike is actually accepting that you do not have to be going as fast as possible at all times.

you do

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rode my bike to work today

Laptop in my backpack, other stuff in a pannier.

40 minutes for the 6.5km going to the office
42 minutes for the 8km going home

Leather shoes weren't an issue at all

Feel really good about this - I knew it's been possible for a long time, I just didn't have a reason to do it yet until I was called in

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I got a new job in March 2020 and was really excited because I could bike there, maybe 2 miles from my apartment. Getting there was basically one long downhill bomb and getting back took going uphill the whole way, and I loved it for the 3 days I went into the office before everyone got sent home forever.

Bike commuting to work is the dream.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm always much happier when I ride to work, as long as the cars leave me alone. I can do most of it on a bike path by a park though, and that is amazing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

my bony fealty posted:

Bike commuting to work is the dream.
The best part is riding home right as all the car-drivers are also trying to get home but they're stuck in traffic while you coast right on by. :allears:

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
As much as I enjoy being able to walk to work in four minutes, I kinda wish I had a nice 5k ride instead. It'd be better health-wise too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tiggum posted:

The best part is riding home right as all the car-drivers are also trying to get home but they're stuck in traffic while you coast right on by. :allears:

This was exactly what happened this afternoon and I had a huge poo poo eating grin on my face the whole time. God bless protected bike lanes

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I live 2 miles from work, by car. If I bike, it's 5 miles on mostly bike/pedestrian paths. I have done that in the spring/summer/fall hundreds of times now. But my division is moving to a new building on the outskirts of the city and will be nearly impossible to access by bike.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

I rode to work every day I had to go in this week :toot:. My commute is about 21 miles roundtrip and it was cold and rainy here so I had the paths and bridges mostly to myself. I notice I really sleep better when I ride vs taking the subway in.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

One of the hardest parts of riding a bike is actually accepting that you do not have to be going as fast as possible at all times.

same with a car imo

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BONGHITZ posted:

same with sexual intercourse imo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/education/2024/01/25/pittsburgh-schools-bus-violations/stories/202401250116

quote:

ttsburgh Public School officials are cracking down on illegal school bus passings they say have exceeded 9,000 violations in six months.

Standing in the Brashear High School library Thursday morning, district police officers, school directors and others called on the public to heed laws around school buses in an effort to keep students safe. It came after the district in July implemented a camera safety program that has recorded 9,202 violations of Pennsylvania’s school bus stopping law between July 3 and Jan. 14.

“It’s unimaginable how many people run the bus arm and the bus has been sitting there for minutes and these kids have to wait on the sidewalk, dart through traffic. … Awareness is what we’re trying to give to the community …” Toi Kenney, a Pittsburgh Public police officer, said. “Be safe. It’s a privilege to drive in Pennsylvania, it’s not a right. To have children disembark and get on a school bus at risk is unheard of to me.”

Pittsburgh Public first began increasing safety measures around school buses in 2022 when officials launched a pilot of its camera safety program with BusPatrol, a tech company that uses artificial and machine learning to monitor the area around stopped school buses and document any illegal passes. Videos are then viewed by school police officers before tickets are issued.

But despite applause largely surrounding the program Thursday morning, the initiative has led to pushback in the community, with some residents questioning why Pittsburgh Public receives money from citations.

According to the district’s Chief Operating Officer Michael McNamara, between July and December, ticket revenue totaled $858,550.

By state law, $50 per ticket was sent to Pennsylvania’s school bus safety grant program and $25 per ticket was given to Pittsburgh Public’s school police department. The rest of the revenue is split between BusPatrol and the district. Out of the district’s share, $125 is spent per month to maintain enforcement cameras, and cameras inside and outside the bus, along with audio and digital recording systems.

In all, Pittsburgh Public has received $194,236 from the program.

9,202 incidents of drivers putting children at risk in six months, but there are fines issued for doing it so clearly something unethical is going on.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they should spend it on bollards

Apr 7, 2003

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

https://x.com/AmySteigerwald/status/1750506673041510815?s=20

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Looks like they pulled over for the Google mobile

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
theyre driving while the google car illegally passes across the double yellow lines

Apr 7, 2003

nah, that's a weird narrow road, i guess the google van was going in the other direction

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

nah, that's a weird narrow road, i guess the google van was going in the other direction

lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://v.redd.it/r7v3hxj624ec1/DASH_1080.mp4

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what the gently caress? how does that happen?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

probably old. they're driving an automatic, at 8 seconds in they take their foot off the gas, then when they are about to hit the driveway, they go to put their foot on the brake but they accidentally hit the gas, then when the car accelerates they panic and they push harder on the pedal they think is the brake but is actually the accelerator and so they zoom into the garage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gradenko_2000 posted:

It’s a Tesla, so coin flip between driver mixing up the pedals and the driver letting satan take the wheel.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there's been two cases now of teslas in china just deciding they're going to drive the streets at max_speed regardless of what the driver did, who knows how many cases there's been in america but nobody noticed because people just drive like that there :v:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Concerning

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A car racing out of control is always the driver mashing the gas instead of the brake, regardless of how much they insist they did nothing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

withak posted:

A car racing out of control is always the driver mashing the gas instead of the brake, regardless of how much they insist they did nothing.

wasn't that toyota acceleration thing all mass hysteria

mystes
May 31, 2006

i say swears online posted:

I don't think we'll ever really know. Their software was shockingly bad which is why they lost the lawsuit but I don't think anyone was actually able to show that that would cause acceleration in real world conditions. That could very well just be because it didn't happen frequently enough to be easily reproducible, or it could have just been made up and people were confusing the pedals and/or getting floor mats jammed in their pedals.

I guess that's why the Tesla approach of collecting lots of data and then immediately very publicly blaming crashes on user error regardless of whether that's true is unfortunately the optimal approach in some sense.

mystes has issued a correction as of 16:14 on Jan 26, 2024

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

withak posted:

normally i'd agree, but this is elon's cars we're talking about. last week a guy randomly almost got driven over by his car while he was clearing snow around it lmao

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

fermun posted:

probably old. they're driving an automatic, at 8 seconds in they take their foot off the gas, then when they are about to hit the driveway, they go to put their foot on the brake but they accidentally hit the gas, then when the car accelerates they panic and they push harder on the pedal they think is the brake but is actually the accelerator and so they zoom into the garage.

Many such cases!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fermun posted:

I guessed this was gonna happen before it even happened in the video. The abrupt lurch forward as the car snaps off the side mirror also points to exactly this.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

i say swears online posted:

Olds renting unfamiliar cars iirc yes

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

mystes posted:

I don't think we'll ever really know. Their software was shockingly bad which is why they lost the lawsuit but I don't think anyone was actually able to show that that would cause acceleration in real world conditions. That could very well just be because it didn't happen frequently enough to be easily reproducible, or it could have just been made up and people were confusing the pedals and/or getting floor mats jammed in their pedals.

I guess that's why the Tesla approach of collecting lots of data and then immediately very publicly blaming crashes on user error regardless of whether that's true is unfortunately the optimal approach in some sense.
The crazy one was with that guy was just uncontrollably going down a freeway. Called 911 himself, but eventually careened into something and died. WHY DIDN'T HE JUST TURN THE ENGINE OFF?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Doesn't the brake easily overpower the engine 100% the time? I seem to remember a bunch of demos where someone showed that, even for a ridiculously-overpowered supercar, stopping distance increases only slightly if you keep the accelerator floored during the test.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cat botherer posted:

The crazy one was with that guy was just uncontrollably going down a freeway. Called 911 himself, but eventually careened into something and died. WHY DIDN'T HE JUST TURN THE ENGINE OFF?

If I recall right he had a push button ignition when such a thing was very new, and had been pressing the button over and over trying to turn the car off.

You have to hold the button for a long time like you're shutting down a crashed computer now.

A lot of recent car deaths are due to bad design. That Jeep shifter killed a lot of not-famous people along with Anton Yelchin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

SimonSays posted:

Olds renting unfamiliar cars iirc yes

Remember when Jeep switched their Grand Cherokee transmission to a joystick instead of a shift lever and a bunch of people ran themselves over with their own car because of it
https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/19/entertainment/actor-anton-yelchin-killed/index.html

e: goddammit