Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

it's charming that a bunch of ppl just 'put an 8tb platter' in their main gameing pc and that's where they put all their legally acquired movies and tv shows

the days of people whining that modded xboxes and htpcs were "too complicated" for media playback when consoles had built-in video players, then went on to waste inordinate amounts of time and cpu power setting up convoluted, live-transcoding, dlna setups to watch their softsubbed anime on a ps3, which didn't have native subtitle support

also the 'rear end' subtitle format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the plex thread in IYG being titled "Your .rear end Is Getting Transcoded" give me a chuckle every time

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm old-school (in the very true meaning) IBM so I'm VDU, mass memory, and closed disk drive.

when i studied computer science (datalogi) a decade ago, they were big on using danish terms for everything. hd = fastpladelager (firm platter storage), password = løsen, etc

the military was the same at time time, idk if either still care enough. probably all the olds aged out

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

the days of people whining that modded xboxes and htpcs were "too complicated" for media playback when consoles had built-in video players, then went on to waste inordinate amounts of time and cpu power setting up convoluted, live-transcoding, dlna setups to watch their softsubbed anime on a ps3, which didn't have native subtitle support

also the 'rear end' subtitle format

Oh man, PS3 Media Server (later Universal Media Server) changed my life. It was one of those things that Just Worked.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

echinopsis posted:

i can’t afford NASlyfe

hold that thought for next yosmas echi, if I get you I'll send you mine as I haven't used it in like a year

it will only cost me £1000 in shipping fees I'm sure

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

evobatman posted:

Oh man, PS3 Media Server (later Universal Media Server) changed my life. It was one of those things that Just Worked.
Absolutely agreed, it was a truly impressive achievement.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

also wait, it was two decades ago i studied cs lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
løsen mein fastpladelager, step-broer

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Carthag Tuek posted:

also wait, it was two decades ago i studied cs lol

man, don't worry. in rotor's time they only had the difference engine, and he's still gainfully employed

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The Leck posted:

Absolutely agreed, it was a truly impressive achievement.

always seemed like a gross hack to me

xbmc had beautiful categories and metadata. ps3 media player just displayed a list of folders and filenames

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
just remembered i have these

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
remember when nerds would drool over the prospect of having a T1 connection at home

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

remember how apartments and offices advertised any broadband as t1, well past 1.544mbit being considered slow

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would be like ooh I have DSL now and my better funded nerd buddies would be all pff, we have ISDN, scrub

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Silver Alicorn posted:

remember when nerds would drool over the prospect of having a T1 connection at home

yes 100%

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I have 500mbit at home and it feels too slow because of the modern internet garbage sites

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

just remembered i have these

what is this? a netflix app on a disc?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

other people posted:

what is this? a netflix app on a disc?

yep, before the online stores on games consoles were offering streaming apps this was how you got on netflix’s early streaming stuff

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

I would be like ooh I have DSL now and my better funded nerd buddies would be all pff, we have ISDN, scrub

you’ve got dsl all right

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the funny tech poo poo is people in the 2000s thinking that joke was top-shelf comedy

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
from an ars article about the weirdest mac models came this

a limited run of 500 powerbook 170 machines was made for the 1992 japanese ladies professional golf association tournament in Japan

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its beautiful

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

FMguru posted:

a limited run of 500 powerbook 170 machines was made for the 1992 japanese ladies professional golf association tournament in Japan

i like its little legs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

running across the desk with looney tunes xylophone tiptoe noise

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the funny tech poo poo is people in the 2000s thinking that joke was top-shelf comedy

someone i know briefly had "cable modem" tattooed on the inside of their mouth because they heard it so much, so they could just pout and display it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

its beautiful

turn on your monitor !!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Midjack posted:

someone i know briefly had "cable modem" tattooed on the inside of their mouth because they heard it so much, so they could just pout and display it.

Insert cable into DSL

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

japanese market always seemed to be able to make “women’s” computers work

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Volmarias posted:

Insert cable into DSL

Cause it means "digital subscriber line" as well as "dick sucking lips". Hell yes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jonny 290 posted:

Cause it means "digital subscriber line" as well as "dick sucking lips". Hell yes.

Unsure that it needed to be explained but yes that's the joke

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Volmarias posted:

i lmao’d and rofl’d

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
[+1, Witty]

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

FMguru posted:

fisher price rear end thing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

fisher price rear end thing

dont sign

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Jonny 290 posted:

its beautiful

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Volmarias posted:

now I get it

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

FMguru posted:

whoa, that's a lot of Memphis!

https://cari.institute/aesthetics/memphis-milano

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

japanese market always seemed to be able to make “women’s” computers work

now i'm remembering the fujitsu laptop line that had a lid design supposedly made so women wouldn't damage their nails when opening it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I always forget that the Cari Institute exists, and then when I’m reminded I fall down a rabbit hole for like an hour.

so thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

FMguru posted:

powerbook harlequin