Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

smellmycheese posted:

Enough big swords. Here’s a massive tool instead…

https://twitter.com/epkaufm/status/1750126306765701518?s=46

Who the gently caress colour coordinates books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
psychopath poo poo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

happyhippy posted:

Culture warriors of course

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

A message from our fallen comrade…

“I regret nothing (except maybe that UKMT post calling for a pile on. That was dumb)”

Is that a :10bux: goodbye or a :sadwave: one?

Not sure due to: :capitalism:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it's just a probation

i'm not going near I/P thread but from the comfort of UKMT i will happily denounce the isra heelies :mad:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I want one but I'd be terrified of lobbing a finger clean off

I've got one. They're not mega sharp and you use them just like a normal knife. Would recommend.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

feedmegin posted:

I've got one. They're not mega sharp and you use them just like a normal knife. Would recommend.

Pretty much, choke up on the grip to gain better control of the blade.

Never use mine for meat but any large veg is fair game. :D

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Just Another Lurker posted:

Is that a :10bux: goodbye or a :sadwave: one?

Not sure due to: :capitalism:

Just a ban, not a perma going by the Leper's Colony

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've used one of these for my whole adult life:

Simply because they do big stuff and fine stuff, and are handy for transferring whatever you've chopped.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

happyhippy posted:

My wife does.

Now at this point I'd post a photo of my digs and cats in front of our rainbow coloured bookshelf, but I guess they changed the SA app and it doesn't work with Imgur like it used to.

So just use your imagination or something.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Has there been case law on where they define "traditional"? I think it's clear that "traditional" is being used as a proxy for expensive, to block anything that could be affordable by "gangs and youths". How cheap can you get a modern katana that has been shaped exclusively by forging/hammering?

While I'm not 100% sure on the English laws, here is what the Irish law says in respect of it.

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/si/338/made/en/print

quote:

(c) by inserting, after paragraph (q), the following paragraph:

“(r) the sword sometimes known as samurai or katana, other than such a sword—

(i) made before 1954, or

(ii) made at any other time according to traditional methods of making swords by hand.”.

So basically, it's illegal to have a samurai * sword, unless said sword was made in a traditional method of making sword**
Or any Sword made in any method that was made before 1954.

As for why specifically 1954 as the cutoff. I don't know.
But I suspect it has something to do with how Godzilla was released in cinemas in Japan in 1954.
Can't have people using radioactive swords.

*= Yes I have huge issues with the legislation putting that name in as part of it, as its not their technical name. Just a colloquial name given to them and you don't put that into law. You don't criminalise possession of "gear" or "china white."

** = Which I imagine is essentially a positive defence that you would advance to say your sword isn't covered by the law. Maybe it would be sufficient to say "I took an angle grinder to a piece of metal until it looked like this kicking rad sword." Since it would have been done by your hand.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I've used one of these for my whole adult life:

Simply because they do big stuff and fine stuff, and are handy for transferring whatever you've chopped.

I got one of these 14" butchers knives, it's like a machete. But it's real nice when cutting slabs of meat.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Bring her back.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

This is also, for the record, the origin of those 'black pyjama' ninja outfits. Those were actually the outfits used by stagehands in Edo-period theatre, to keep them invisible while rearranging sets between scenes. Having the stagehands turn out to be ninjas and assaulting the main characters was a popular way of breaking the fourth wall as a surprise during a performance.

Catching up on the thread, an example of these stagehands in action can be seen in this music video by the Scissor Sisters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPwc-DpVFdc

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

victorinox are good knives, in my experience. they also sound like an evil businessman in a jason statham film, Victor Inox

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
As in, a clown who fucks?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

happyhippy posted:

Trendy people. It's a thing.
https://www.thespruce.com/should-you-organize-books-by-color-5216829

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Microplastics posted:

As in, a clown who fucks?

:nws:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I once made a slightly drunk purchase of one of these:

An F.Dicks Red Spirit Tanto. It's an absolutely dumb knife. The only purpose I can think of would be to carve large roasts while looking like a dork. It sits in my drawer barely used

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

*= Yes I have huge issues with the legislation putting that name in as part of it, as its not their technical name. Just a colloquial name given to them and you don't put that into law. You don't criminalise possession of "gear" or "china white."
Reminds me of the (possibly apocryphal) proposed act banning nunchucks as "two or more sticks separated by a chain" where a law lord pointed out that as 'a chain' can be read in law as 'a traditional unit equalling 66 feet' they may be accidentally banning cricket instead.

Also reminds me of the (definitely real) amendment to the drugs act done illegally by Alan Johnson (as it was outside of his authority by said act, as there was no veterinarian on the drugs panel, as they had resigned in disgust) to ban mephedrone where his office tried to do most of it themselves and wrote the wrong chemical name down, leading to the subsequent government having to repeal and rewrite the whole thing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Ireland also excelled at that kind of stupidity

BBC: Ireland has mistakenly legalised ecstasy and ketamine for one day

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Reminds me of the (possibly apocryphal) proposed act banning nunchucks as "two or more sticks separated by a chain" where a law lord pointed out that as 'a chain' can be read in law as 'a traditional unit equalling 66 feet' they may be accidentally banning cricket instead.

This is like where people take the p out of judges saying things like "and who are Ant & Dec / is MIck Jagger / Boris DePfeffel what is a Playstation", it's not because m'luds don't actually know & are "out of touch" (I mean they may or may not or in the case of A&D not know the difference - I don't) , it's that when making laws it has to be phrased in such a way that a century or more from now the law can be applied without people having to find out who these people were or figure out what a Playstation or VHS Video was or whatever. Kids today already aren't oversure about what computers are as they're on their phones all the time and I guess in 100 years for now, humans will either have been killed off completely, reverted to the stoneage, or have implants in their heads that do all the computer & phone stuff.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah but also politicians are mostly mutant dweeb briefcase wankers who are distantly removed from the cultural aesthetic of the plebes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah British lords especially have a reputation for chatting enormous amounts of poo poo between their naps, see:

Lord Farmer posted:

I have read about one family doctor working in a leafy suburb in the Home Counties—not a concrete jungle in an inner city—treating growing numbers of teenage girls suffering from the after-effects of frequent anal sex, such as incontinence.

(had to search for "concrete jungle anal sex lords" to find that, so will be getting some great ads)

That's like the opposite of nominative determinism if the Lord Farmer thinks people out in the countryside only started doing it in the butt because of the internets. crispix knows what they used for birth control.

But in the case of the chain = 66 feet in laws lord, that's actually a correct read due to the various Regulation of Railways Acts and property cases, and it would be down to the good judgment of those involved to assume that it didn't refer to the martial art of cricket.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah British lords especially have a reputation for chatting enormous amounts of poo poo between their naps, see:

(had to search for "concrete jungle anal sex lords" to find that, so will be getting some great ads)

That's like the opposite of nominative determinism if the Lord Farmer thinks people out in the countryside only started doing it in the butt because of the internets. crispix knows what they used for birth control.

But in the case of the chain = 66 feet in laws lord, that's actually a correct read due to the various Regulation of Railways Acts and property cases, and it would be down to the good judgment of those involved to assume that it didn't refer to the martial art of cricket.

Re the incontinence maybe he meant fecal or anal (which are different) which can be a result of anal sex?

We used (use still I assume - we did 17 years ago) chains as a measurement all the time in the railway.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's more the idea that it's only a thing for 'city people' that's ridiculous. And I'm going to guess coded homophobia by the Lord. (They talk to gays, Sodom and Gomorrah and all that.)

City people had contraceptives back when country people had to find other ways around, so he's talking out of his birth control entrance.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

concrete jungle anal sex lords

Please do not doxx my street gang

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Failed Imagineer posted:

Please do not doxx my street gang

You named your street gang after my post-new-metal band???

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Country girls make do

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah it's more the idea that it's only a thing for 'city people' that's ridiculous. And I'm going to guess coded homophobia by the Lord. (They talk to gays, Sodom and Gomorrah and all that.)

City people had contraceptives back when country people had to find other ways around, so he's talking out of his birth control entrance.

I had assumed it was just a bit of racism on the part of the Lord.
(Talk of concrete jungle, being a reference to cities having non-white populations. From there it wouldn't take long for someone to fall into the racist stereotypes of over-sexed inner city types, wrecking their bums by having too much bum sex.)

So this wasn't (technically) stupidity more laziness.
Basically, different drugs were added to the Misuse of Drugs Act through S.I (Statutory Instrument, where a Minister could ammend or enact legislation without having to always have full parliamentary debates.)
This and off itself isn't a problem as there are reasons why you need to allow a Minister to sign a letter that says "this Law passed last month can now go into Effect."

Where it was a problem was new drugs were being added (which was due to minor variations being made to the chemical formula of illegal substances to make them not illegal. So they had to keep adding new drugs and then start criminalising chemical formulas and derivatives of said formula.) And the Court of Appeal ultimately said that the Ministers had gone too far in criminalising so many different drugs without a proper debate.

Thus leading to a situation where they were all legal for about 48 hours while the Government convened and had a situation where they "debated" about criminalising each one of about 100+ drugs. (I think they had to give at least 5 minutes to each specific drug debate. Sounds like it would have gotten very tedious very quickly.)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Well that all sounds indisputable

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If this is true then I fully support her return to front bench politics.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
No lies detected

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

If this is true then I fully support her return to front bench politics.

Has to be parody but it's entirely plausible at the same time. Not sure I can hear Sturgeon saying Shitler, that's what gives it away for me

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
No lies detected.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is nuns' piss famously weak? Bishop's piss was famously strong and sought after as a source of phosphorus and nitrates, so is there some kind of clerical piss chart somewhere?

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I don't consider the end of that sentence 'Irrelevant':colbert:

The public needs to know.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
UK politics is mostly whitenoise at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Diane Abbott would get suspended for saying that were she not already.

Speaking of, she has a good take that's absolutely going to be warped into her being pro-zombie or some poo poo, but she's right, knife crime is mostly lads with kitchen knifes and no community support.

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1750469974865383864