Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Wilcox:

I can recognise David Pope (the thin giant) and David Rowe (frizzy hair and five o'clock shadow).

Broelman:

Rowe:

Stage-three tax cuts: cabinet approves new cost-of-living relief for workers on less than $150,000 (Guardian) "Taxpayers earning under $150,000 would be better off under a plan to retain the 37% tax bracket, unwinding the Morrison government’s stage-three tax cuts due to come into effect this year".

Dyson:

Golding:

Lethbridge:

Spooner:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
... i mean...yeah.

i bet that "small border town" of *checks notes* texas, is better prepared to handle something that happens to them regularly than places that it doesn't. kinda like how new york is better prepared for a terrorist attack, or snow. lol i bet new york doesn't even have a plan in place for desert conditions in summer!!!

it's like sitting near the emergency exit: if you're not prepared to be sitting there move. go be the governor of a non-border state if you don't want to deal with border issues you assholes. you're moving next to an airport and whining about all the noise. grow up, accept your responsibility, or loving move on so someone else cn.

only republicans can run on the platform of "the job is hard, i'm not prepared to do it, elect me to lead."

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

InsertPotPun posted:

... i mean...yeah.

i bet that "small border town" of *checks notes* texas, is better prepared to handle something that happens to them regularly than places that it doesn't. kinda like how new york is better prepared for a terrorist attack, or snow. lol i bet new york doesn't even have a plan in place for desert conditions in summer!!!

it's like sitting near the emergency exit: if you're not prepared to be sitting there move. go be the governor of a non-border state if you don't want to deal with border issues you assholes. you're moving next to an airport and whining about all the noise. grow up, accept your responsibility, or loving move on so someone else cn.

only republicans can run on the platform of "the job is hard, i'm not prepared to do it, elect me to lead."
This will be relevant eventually

Governor Greg Abbott claimed that Texas is at a "breaking point", as they don't have the money or resources to handle hundreds of thousands of tons of snow.
I mean... what do you think it is, New York City?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Trapezium Dave posted:

Wilcox:

I can recognise David Pope (the thin giant) and David Rowe (frizzy hair and five o'clock shadow).

Answers:

https://twitter.com/cathywilcox1/status/1750301075423592721

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If you read articles about the EVs in recent cold weather, it’s mostly Americans being new to the technology and not taking steps to prepare for the weather. Other, colder countries have higher adoption rates for EVs and aren’t haven’t problems like this.

It’s like not putting antifreeze in your car (yes combustion engines ALSO don’t like the cold) and then saying there’s no way we can transition to these kind of cars due to how bad the winter will be for us.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Adam Zyglis

Ann Telnaes

Christopher Weyant

Clay Bennett

Darrin Bell

David Horsey

David M. Hitch

Ed Gamble

Jack Ohman

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Stahler

Jimmy Margulies

Kirk Walters

Matt Davies

Matt Wuerker

Mike Peters

Mike Smith

Patrick Chappatte

Some gizmo!

Pedro X. Molina

Phil Hands

Rivers

Robert (R.J.) Matson

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Payne cracks me up. His art style makes it clear that he's so proud of being the dumbest fucker in the room.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

I hate you.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

withdrawn

Technowolf fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 26, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pants Donkey posted:

If you read articles about the EVs in recent cold weather, it’s mostly Americans being new to the technology and not taking steps to prepare for the weather. Other, colder countries have higher adoption rates for EVs and aren’t haven’t problems like this.

It’s like not putting antifreeze in your car (yes combustion engines ALSO don’t like the cold) and then saying there’s no way we can transition to these kind of cars due to how bad the winter will be for us.

Yuuuup. Literally just a bunch of people who didn’t know how to operate their new vehicles.

I bought a used EV on Thursday and drove it home from another state. No problems. Then I plugged it into my house.

It loving rules.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Kinda wild reading this paragraph knowing the trouble we have had in Norway, famously a cold country, with our electrical busses.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Tom the Dancing Bug by Ruben Bolling

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Overall Best

idonotlikepeas posted:

Patrick Chappatte

Some gizmo!

Kellies Nomination: Worst "Gizmos! :argh:"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Like stories about scary migrants doing bad things.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

Gary Markstein

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Tom Stiglich

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

This coming right after Trump's speeches in New Hampshire where he frequently spouted gibberish

quote:

We have become a drug-infested, crime-ridden nation, which is incapable of solving even the 'solllest'... smallest problem. The simplest of problems we can no longer solve. We can't do anything. We are an institute in a powerful death penalty. We will put this on.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This is one of those "rabbit hole" cartoons, where they only become comprehensible if you understand a number of incorrect premises that the intended readers of the cartoon accept as fact. The cartoon doesn't argue those premises, because they are obvious and everyone already knows they're true. They are just the basis on which the argument is made. In this case:

1) Klaus Schwab, founder and chairman of the World Economic Forum and protege of Henry Kissinger, is not merely a techbro environmentalist or someone who has noticed that climate change is happening, but ideologically devoted to the cause of environmentalism.
2) Justin Trudeau is also an environmental cultist in the same vein. He is also directly under the control of Schwab, as evidenced by his support for really basic reforms like the Great Reset proposed by Schwab. He specifically trained Trudeau as an operative to take over Canada.
3) Environmentalists are obsessed with making people eat bugs. They don't do this for any particular functional reason; they just enjoy controlling people, and making them eat bugs is a powerful way to demonstrate that control.
4) Any Day Now, the environmentalists will strike and create a bunch of laws that arbitrarily assign massive penalties to everyone who isn't 100% in line with their vision of how the world should work. The evidence of this is that countries (and even occasionally Canada) have, from time to time, passed environmental legislation to stop things like rivers catching fire - Canada, in fact, went so crazy with these recently that the supreme court had to rule some of those laws unconstitutional. (That bit is true, sort of.)
5) Anyone who makes you do something you don't want to do is a Nazi.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 25, 2024

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Skios posted:

Gary Varvel

What a timely reference.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

This is one of those "rabbit hole" cartoons, where they only become comprehensible if you understand a number of incorrect premises that the intended readers of the cartoon accept as fact. The cartoon doesn't argue those premises, because they are obvious and everyone already knows they're true. They are just the basis on which the argument is made. In this case:

1) Klaus Schwab, founder and chairman of the World Economic Forum and protege of Henry Kissinger, is not merely a techbro environmentalist or someone who has noticed that climate change is happening, but ideologically devoted to the cause of environmentalism.
2) Justin Trudeau is also an environmental cultist in the same vein. He is also directly under the control of Schwab, as evidenced by his support for really basic reforms like the Great Reset proposed by Schwab. He specifically trained Trudeau as an operative to take over Canada.
3) Environmentalists are obsessed with making people eat bugs. They don't do this for any particular functional reason; they just enjoy controlling people, and making them eat bugs is a powerful way to demonstrate that control.
4) Any Day Now, the environmentalists will strike and create a bunch of laws that arbitrarily assign massive penalties to everyone who isn't 100% in line with their vision of how the world should work. The evidence of this is that countries (and even occasionally Canada) have, from time to time, passed environmental legislation to stop things like rivers catching fire - Canada, in fact, went so crazy with these recently that the supreme court had to rule some of those laws unconstitutional. (That bit is true, sort of.)

Thanks. The thought process behind that cartoon was somehow even dumber than I could have suspected.

I understand the desire to stick it to the Other Side, and to be honest there is stuff coming from parts of the left that I don't agree with, but if you are so brain-poisoned by the Culture War™ that you start defending the position that it is good for humanity to all but destroy itself, maybe you need to take a step back and examine how you got there. But I guess doing so would require a minimal amount of self-awareness to begin with.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Insect protein has a lot of benefits over traditional sources like beef and pork. And requires less space and over less cost to the environment. And humans have been eating them for millennia.

That doesn’t mean burgers vanish, but just that our current diet of steaks and hams multiple times a week is not sustainable and we need to pivot to other food sources.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks. The thought process behind that cartoon was somehow even dumber than I could have suspected.

I understand the desire to stick it to the Other Side, and to be honest there is stuff coming from parts of the left that I don't agree with, but if you are so brain-poisoned by the Culture War™ that you start defending the position that it is good for humanity to all but destroy itself, maybe you need to take a step back and examine how you got there. But I guess doing so would require a minimal amount of self-awareness to begin with.

For a lot of people, if you ask them to choose between either a) having billions of people suffer and die young, and b) them personally changing their outlook, most people will let billions of people die. Change is hard and personal, and 'billions' of people is too big and abstract to personalize. But they know internally that this is a monstrous answer, and so they build up massive defenses on why them not changing is good, actually, and in fact it is the people demanding change who are evil and will cause suffering.

The number of cultural fronts we are watching this play out on right now is overwhelming.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah a lot of this would be sustainable if it were only the West eating meat with every meal and everyone else on subsistence diets.

But the growing middle class around the world doesn't agree with that setup. So the only options are to change things or try to justify the inequality.

Changing things means admitting loss of status though, and admitting that unequal status was unjustly earned, so much like the French hereditary aristocracy when overtaken by the capitalist merchant class, or the Russian aristocracy when forced to flee by the Bolsheviks, or WASPs when forced to accept a changing workplace, it's easier for them to blame the globalist elite Jews destroying whiteness or the Pope in Rome bribing Tammany Hall or the Illuminati aborting all the workers or whatever. It's all just a way of handwaving the inequality by demonizing the agents of the change.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

For a lot of people, if you ask them to choose between either a) having billions of people suffer and die young, and b) them personally changing their outlook, most people will let billions of people die. Change is hard and personal, and 'billions' of people is too big and abstract to personalize. But they know internally that this is a monstrous answer, and so they build up massive defenses on why them not changing is good, actually, and in fact it is the people demanding change who are evil and will cause suffering.

The number of cultural fronts we are watching this play out on right now is overwhelming.

You're right and yes, the 'gently caress you got mine' mindset is unfortunately all too human, the issue is that everyone will suffer as a result of climate change and other creeping ecological disasters, except maybe a few of the very rich who live in high-latitude areas with high average elevation (and they will still be flooded with refugees). Sure, there are plenty of boomers who don't really care about what happens to the world after they die, the thing is, at the rate things are going, many of them will actually still be alive when things truly start going south.

We're at the point where it transcends ideology, and if you truly believe that nothing should be done and you're not a Russian billionaire or something, you are just a complete loving idiot and should be called out as such.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

idonotlikepeas posted:

You've missed the key important intellectual crux of the point here, which is that Klaus is German and has a weird german name and speaks all german like, which the nazis also did, thus making the nazi comparison completely reasonable

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Extra stupid is that "you vill eet ze bugz" is a 4chan shibboleth.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Angepain posted:

You've missed the key important intellectual crux of the point here, which is that Klaus is German and has a weird german name and speaks all german like, which the nazis also did, thus making the nazi comparison completely reasonable

I thought that part was obvious, but you're right, I should have also called out the racism.

Neito posted:

Extra stupid is that "you vill eet ze bugz" is a 4chan shibboleth.

There's not a lot of daylight between "things said on 4chan" and "fringe conservative thought". (And less daylight than I'd like between "fringe conservative thought" and "mainstream conservative thought".)

skeleton warrior posted:

Yeah, it's just a subset of the usual human behavior of rationalization. Few people want to accept that they're bad human beings, so an excuse or series of excuses must be created to explain why whatever they did was good, or at least acceptable. Aside from "the Others are evil conspirators trying to control your life", there's also stuff like "everyone else does it so me doing it won't hurt", "it's a victimless crime", "they should have known better than to dress/act/be that way around here", etc. Part of the conservative strategy is selling these excuses to people so that they don't have to think critically about their own behavior or consider its impact on others.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Technowolf posted:

Kellies nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Antisemitism)

I don't think Klaus Schwab is Jewish(?) If so I learned something today.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Okay, after some review I am now extremely interested in the identities of Rivers and NEM0.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

I don't think Klaus Schwab is Jewish(?) If so I learned something today.
But do THEY know that?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Donald Trump’s progress along the Republican nomination trail – A win in New Hampshire win sees the former president confident that he’s on his way to the White House again"

Telegraph:

Grant Shapps defends troop cuts as UK soldiers have a ‘can-do’ attitude

Matt:

Oust Sunak or Tories face election massacre, warns former Cabinet ally

Independent:

No one likes the guy yelling ‘iceberg’, says Tory who called for Sunak’s ousting

Times:

Evening Standard:

British military chief in 'citizen army' call to prepare country for land war

Bonus! Prospect magazine:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Kinda wild reading this paragraph knowing the trouble we have had in Norway, famously a cold country, with our electrical busses.
I read that like 50-100 departures had issues out of 4000, but I only have access to english sources but it seems like it too was overblown by people with an agenda. Or I’m getting bad second-hand reports.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Okay, after some review I am now extremely interested in the identities of Rivers and NEM0.

Right? I was actually slightly hesitant to post them; I have no problem with pseudonymity in general (that would be pretty damned hypocritical), but it does feel a bit weird to have unknown people doing this kind of political propaganda.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Right? I was actually slightly hesitant to post them; I have no problem with pseudonymity in general (that would be pretty damned hypocritical), but it does feel a bit weird to have unknown people doing this kind of political propaganda.

This may be a starting place. I'm not currently able to watch (and I think I may need to take some antacid first)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPkRQ-HA-2Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pISO8_mF0wk

Rivers has been active since at least 2022, and they frustratingly have some artistic competence.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Robert (R.J.) Matson

hosed this one up, didn't you?

"get it? because trump ex-lawyers are so few in number!! ahahaha oh wait i meant the opposite"

Kellies nomination: unforced error (did i use that category right?)

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:: Australia Day Edition

Broelman:

Katauskas:

Wilcox:

Jim Chalmers (treasurer) with Albanese, Angus Taylor (shadow treasurer) and Sussan Ley (deputy opposition leader).

Golding 1:

Golding 2:

Melbourne statues of Queen Victoria and Captain Cook vandalised on Australia Day eve (ABC). The Queen Victoria statue was covered in red paint and the Cook statue was sawn off and had "The Colony Will Fall" painted on the side.

Leak, Son of Leak:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Microplastics posted:

"get it? because trump ex-lawyers are so few in number!! ahahaha oh wait i meant the opposite"

I read it as the presumably intended 'Haley is so far behind that even the support of 85% of this very large demographic (Trump's ex-lawyers) would not save her.'

It's not a very good cartoon but I wouldn't say it's an error

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Microplastics posted:

Yeah the category basically means the cartoonist very obviously hosed up their own joke or did something else obviously wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I've noticed the sister molester stopped appearing in the aussie toon dumps. Did something happen to him? Is there some actual justice in the universe?