Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

Mainly talking about how Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey are still listed as EPs on a series that they haven't had anything to do with in almost 10 years.

Joe Carnahan got a $5,000 check every time a new episode of The Blacklist aired, because he directed the pilot. (This is a weird thing that the DGA negotiated with the producers' guild ages ago; the director of a TV pilot is contractually owed royalty payments for every future episode of that show that gets made.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was also why The Gifted couldn't remove Singer's name from the show since he directed The pilot.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

I guess I haven't been following wrestling news, how long did the WWE network last?

The WWE Network launched in 2014, and Peacock absorbed it in the US in 2021.

mystes
May 31, 2006

drat just directing a bunch of pilots and raking in the cash would be nice

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

mystes posted:

The rub is that a ton of pilots for shows that don't get picked up at all get produced every year, iirc

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah so just don't direct a bad pilot

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would simply just make the best pilots.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The secret is to work on a show that is going to run for 10+ seasons

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah so just don't direct a bad pilot

I've got bad news for you about the taste of network executives

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Timby posted:

Joe Carnahan got a $5,000 check every time a new episode of The Blacklist aired, because he directed the pilot. (This is a weird thing that the DGA negotiated with the producers' guild ages ago; the director of a TV pilot is contractually owed royalty payments for every future episode of that show that gets made.)

Nice to find out Dan Trachtenberg is getting paid handsomedly for his one episode of The Boys. I still remember when his dayjob was doing lovely nerd reviews on Youtube.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Arist posted:

I've got bad news for you about the taste of network executives

I remember a director had a streak of something like 20 straight pilots picked up to series, but I can't remember who it was.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Netflix is pulling the first three seasons of Babylon Berlin, and will therefore not be importing the fourth season (or the upcoming fifth). Lame. Show owns.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I remember a director had a streak of something like 20 straight pilots picked up to series, but I can't remember who it was.

David Nutter hit 16 in a row.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He directed the pilot to Supernatural, poor guy must have been devastated when it ended with season 5.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Open Source Idiom posted:

Netflix is pulling the first three seasons of Babylon Berlin, and will therefore not be importing the fourth season (or the upcoming fifth). Lame. Show owns.

Wait what? Why?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Because gently caress you that's why

TV isn't made to be watched anymore :eng99:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think you mean "IP"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s lovely but also Babylon Berlin s4 was an absolutely massive step down

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Could be that the number of viewers for the foreign language period drama wasn't commensurate with the licensing fee.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Netflix also cancelled The Mothership, the Halle Berry sci-fi film that was already in post-production after "suffering from multiple post-production delays."

Which is weird because... just release it later? But I'm assuming that is just code for "poo poo was real bad and not worth releasing" but that's doubtful.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I think this is more a corporate rights fuckery thing than anything else

Babylon Berlin is a coproduction between a German broadcaster and Sky, who have streaming ambitions of their own. They have links to Paramount for European licensing of Paramount shows, so it might be that they also want things to work the other way and Babylon Berlin will end up on Paramount plus or another related service in the US.

Or maybe it actually is because no one wants to watch a fictional show about a country turning to nazism anymore when they can see the real thing happen now/soon, who knows

mystes
May 31, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Netflix also cancelled The Mothership, the Halle Berry sci-fi film that was already in post-production after "suffering from multiple post-production delays."

Which is weird because... just release it later? But I'm assuming that is just code for "poo poo was real bad and not worth releasing" but that's doubtful.
My first thought was "lol all these services just love to cancel poo poo that's almost done" but googling it, supposedly the problem with The Mothership was that it turned out it needed reshoots, but because the production was such a mess and it had taken so long, the child actors were already too old to actually be able to do the reshoots.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Someone was saying in another thread that there are some child actors who have noticeably aged due to the delays.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EricBauman posted:

Or maybe it actually is because no one wants to watch a fictional show about a country turning to nazism anymore when they can see the real thing happen now/soon, who knows

Yeah, I want to watch the show sometime based on all the praise, but every time I actually consider sitting down and watching it the whole experience just seems unpleasant.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Watching "The Plot Against America" was one of the worst things I did to my mental health in 2020.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mystes posted:

My first thought was "lol all these services just love to cancel poo poo that's almost done" but googling it, supposedly the problem with The Mothership was that it turned out it needed reshoots, but because the production was such a mess and it had taken so long, the child actors were already too old to actually be able to do the reshoots.

Weak sauce. It's about a rural home with alien artifacts buried under the house... WRITE THAT poo poo INTO THE PLOT!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jesus christ

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Nazi side is mostly very much in the background for the first three seasons and only comes to the forefront in the fourth (which, again, is much worse than the previous ones). It’s mostly a fun as hell noir Weimar Republic/expressionist thing

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mystes posted:

This is precisely why JJ Abrams directed a metric fuckton of TV pilots in the early 2000s.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

jesus christ

I get mad if I lose $10. Like if I forget to cancel a free trial to Peacock or something.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I want to watch the show sometime based on all the praise, but every time I actually consider sitting down and watching it the whole experience just seems unpleasant.

Watch it

The praise is well deserved. I'm a historian of Western Europe in exactly this period (originally, in university, anyway) and it's the most real I've seen this period done both in terms of plot and in terms of look and feel

Season four might be a bit too much because it has a more prominent nazi presence.

What kind of ruined part of it for me isn't the subject matter, but the fact that the star of the show is now a part of an antivax movement that has links with German sovcits

Still, I'll keep watching it as long as they keep making it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I get mad if I lose $10. Like if I forget to cancel a free trial to Peacock or something.

I'm a shameless slut for procedurals like the Chicago shows and the Law & Orders, but my God, the Peacock app on PS4 is borderline-unusable. Keeps crashing to the home screen (on the rare occasion it doesn't just completely lock up) and the search is utterly broken.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

zoux posted:

jesus christ

I really want to know what impact the NFL wild card game being Peacock only had on both its ratings and Peacock subscriptions, and how many zombie subs remain 6 months from now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

swickles posted:

I really want to know what impact the NFL wild card game being Peacock only had on both its ratings and Peacock subscriptions, and how many zombie subs remain 6 months from now.

Source

quote:

There was a big bright spot for the streamer in early 2024. With its controversial, exclusive AFC Wildcard NFL playoff game, Peacock set a new record for the largest streaming-signups moment in history (or at least since Antenna began measuring in 2019). Over a three-day period (defined by Antenna as a “moment”), Peacock onboarded 2.8 million subscribers. That’s the most they’ve seen in 72 hours. (The largest-ever single day for streaming signups remains 2.5 million signups for Disney+ on its launch day in 2019.)

The 2.8 million signups include first-time users testing the service out on a 7-day trial. It is too early still to know how many people churned out of (canceled) Peacock after the trial, or after one paid month. That will all be realized in the first quarter of 2024.

A good chunk it seems.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

The next season of Reacher will be an adaptation of the seventh novel, Persuader.

This is a poo poo pick, I didn't care for the book, Undercover Reacher, it's just dumb. Oh well.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Reacher was a good one season TV show. They made other seasons that fit in great with the movies quality level of "don't watch."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many seasons of Reacher do you think there have been

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The first Reacher movie is really very good, the second one is pretty garbo tho

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

How many seasons of Reacher do you think there have been

There will have been three when that statement completes testing and comes online.

Season 1 was already walking a miraculously thin line and it hopped right off to wallow in the mud in season 2. Bare minimum for season 3 would be cutting the Superfriends entirely and pretending it never happened. But some of the super friends are returning.

Reacher franchise aside from the one fluke season is back to an old On Cinema joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finished Silo finally which was really good but I was kinda expecting that ending. Very good overall though.

I also watched rebel moon which I knew was bad but it was like next level bad and kinda makes me mad it’s that garbage.