Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Watching Waltz last night and it occurs to me that Dukat is basically Elon Musk. All he wants is to be liked and recognized for his (imagined) accomplishments and all the power or money in the quadrant can't make that happen.

No Dignity posted:

Dukat has charisma though

And Dukat cares about his kids

(I agree though that Dukat has become more and more believable in recent years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

davidspackage posted:

And Dukat cares about his kids

(I agree though that Dukat has become more and more believable in recent years)

I don't think he does. I think he says he does and makes a big dieal about the bonds of family but he's lying...like a certain contemporary billionaire I could name.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

zoux posted:

They aren't rocket pods!

I will admit the upgunned Enterprise with the Space Battleship Yamato mega-cannon was the coolest thing I'd ever seen at the time.

The Star Trek take on the SBY wave motion gun was the deflector weapon in Best of Both Worlds.

"We're going to use all the power from the warp engine to power the weapon, so we can't move while firing it and it's going to make a big noise while charging and a big blue beam while it's firing."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did that plan only fail because Picard/Locutus knew about it or would it have failed anyway. Seems lke it was trivial for the Borg to adapt to.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

I don't think he does. I think he says he does and makes a big dieal about the bonds of family but he's lying...like a certain contemporary billionaire I could name.

You're probably right, his love is shown to be fairly self-centered, like with Ziyal.

I'll reiterate: Dukat doesn't forget about his kids the exact instant their mother pops them out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Did that plan only fail because Picard/Locutus knew about it or would it have failed anyway. Seems lke it was trivial for the Borg to adapt to.

The idea was that it'd be such a large amount of energy so fast that they'd 100% burn the cube out before the Borg had a chance to adapt. The concept was that they'd accidentally discovered a specific frequency that was the same as the cube's energy grid, so hitting it with that frequency overloaded their systems.

When they assimilated Picard the Borg just changed the power grid frequency, presumably.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 24, 2024

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Locutus even flat out styles on Riker about how the Borg knew how to stop it the second they assimilated Picard, so yes, the fatal flaw was letting Picard know what the plan was ahead of time, which, how the gently caress did they know he was gonna get assimilated?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think he was just being catty with that.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I always wondered, are those like, floor windows in the saucer section?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just big shallow ones.

Good for brooding over while you look down at the planet under you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also for impressing the member of the pre-warp civ you picked up in violation of the prime directive

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cleaning detail absolutely includes getting some Windex and wiping rear end-prints off the lower saucer windows

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hirogen being huge was cool but I get there are only so many huge dudes in Hollywood. Like how The Expanse only had a handful of people who looked like Belters are described in the books. Just not that many seven foot tall rail thin actors.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Hirogen being huge was cool but I get there are only so many huge dudes in Hollywood. Like how The Expanse only had a handful of people who looked like Belters are described in the books. Just not that many seven foot tall rail thin actors.

Doug Jones.

Huh, you're right, it is a short list, ironically.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wemby is belter proportioned

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Phy posted:

Cleaning detail absolutely includes getting some Windex and wiping rear end-prints off the lower saucer windows

Do we still think that the Lower Decks showrunner lurks in this thread? Because this would be the best gag they'll ever do.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Just big shallow ones.

Good for brooding over while you look down at the planet under you.

Always thought a neat use of the grav plating would be have the center line of the saucer be the grav plat, so to middle of the ship was "down". Making the bottom half of the saucer feel like the top.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I just heard someone rate an episode as "not a homerun , but a double" and now I want to extrapolate that to a few seasons of star trek (26 episodes, 27 minimum at-bats in a game) and see what the score is.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Find him and kill him!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

MillennialVulcan posted:

I just heard someone rate an episode as "not a homerun , but a double" and now I want to extrapolate that to a few seasons of star trek (26 episodes, 27 minimum at-bats in a game) and see what the score is.

10-1 Logicians

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Jeffrey Combs is probably gonna have a great RBI.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Jeffrey Combs is probably gonna have a great RBI.

He's definitely got a high WAR

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Soul Dentist posted:

10-1 Logicians

Given the tone of the episode it’s honestly surprising the score was only 10-0 in the 9th. Jake and Nog must have been a hell of a pitching team.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Doesn't baseball have some kind of mercy rule where if one team is far enough ahead by like the 5th or 6th inning, the game is called in the leading team's favor?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Kibayasu posted:

Given the tone of the episode it’s honestly surprising the score was only 10-0 in the 9th. Jake and Nog must have been a hell of a pitching team.

I figure baseball has had a few rule changes before it went extinct and/or the Vulcans went for the most efficient plays and did the most logical thing instead of taking risks. I assume they walked Worf and Bashir if the bases were empty or close to it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Little League does.

Everything else is "deal with it" even if you give up 13 runs in the first three innings like the Rockies did last season, before losing 25-1

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I dunno, it seems like Paris is the one writing Captain Proton and he usually knows the solutions to the problems in the stories, but he still has to physically accomplish them despite that. There's a degree of AI throwing curve balls at the players, but it also seems like if you want to play out a specific fantasy of your own design, you can do that too.

lol the idea of Barclay losing the duels in his own holodeck power fantasy would be amazing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vulcans are what, twice as strong as a human?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

zoux posted:

Vulcans are what, twice as strong as a human?

No more like 8x. Spock smashing the computer like it was aluminum foil is a good demonstration.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On DS9 they say it's 3x.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Spock lifts

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To not even lift is... not logical.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it's a mistake to have humans as the weakest of all the major species because they don't lean into that ever. We see tons of human starfleet officers go toe to toe with Klingons, who would never lose in a hand-to-hand fight against a human, it would be like you or I fighting a six year old. I guess Starfleet Kung-fu is the perfect scientific martial art

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I bet we can whup a Tellarite's rear end though.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I imagine Vorta are quite fragile.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

davidspackage posted:

I imagine Vorta are quite fragile.

They'll just shoot us with their energy ball telekinesis. Remember that? Yeah, me neither.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

On DS9 they say it's 3x.

The green ones are 3x stronger?!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I bet we can whup a Tellarite's rear end though.

given their disposition they probably get a lot of rear end whoopins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

zoux posted:

I think it's a mistake to have humans as the weakest of all the major species because they don't lean into that ever. We see tons of human starfleet officers go toe to toe with Klingons, who would never lose in a hand-to-hand fight against a human, it would be like you or I fighting a six year old. I guess Starfleet Kung-fu is the perfect scientific martial art

Yeah it was a dumb idea that they pretend doesn't exist most of the time.