Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Its a high mileage manual economy sedan without any of the standard tech ppl want, and is before Mazda tried to move upmarket. Its not sporty, not particularly economical vs competitors, not luxury, and doesnt have the implied reliability of Toyota or Honda. Nothing about that car is what regular people want to drive.

Also its manual. People only want manuals in sports cars nowadays. Old Honda shitboxes can be modded to hell and back. Old Toyota shitboxes can drive for a half million miles with no oil. Newish/oldish Mazdas that arent mazdaspeed or miatas dont even enter the conversation for most folks, and certainly dont have the rep of the two mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That vintage of 3 is a bit of an under the radar good economy car without the Honda/Toyota tax but yeah as mentioned has several other things working against it on resale value.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Should I buy one if I'm looking for a commuter car with a stick for under $10k?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Its a high mileage manual economy sedan without any of the standard tech ppl want, and is before Mazda tried to move upmarket. Its not sporty, not particularly economical vs competitors, not luxury, and doesnt have the implied reliability of Toyota or Honda. Nothing about that car is what regular people want to drive.

Also its manual. People only want manuals in sports cars nowadays. Old Honda shitboxes can be modded to hell and back. Old Toyota shitboxes can drive for a half million miles with no oil. Newish/oldish Mazdas that arent mazdaspeed or miatas dont even enter the conversation for most folks, and certainly dont have the rep of the two mentioned.

Counter point, 3rd gen is when they started moving up market. Thats the 2L instead of the 2.5L but the the Grand Touring was the too trim and even had adaptive cruise control (though not sure about with a manual). Nice leatherish heated seats, pretty tight interior quality, no rattles or squeaks, the things that makes it feel like a solid car.

DildenAnders posted:

I had a 2014 S GT that was an absolutely awesome car, I only sold it because of covid used car craziness and the fact I kept hating that it did not have a stick. I only had mine through about 50k miles, but zero non maintenance issues beyond a cheap knock sensor. I would say that could be a great answer, there are not a lot of manual non sports cars to choose from.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DildenAnders posted:

gently caress yes, as long as it's not a rustbucket or the dealer is bait-and-switching somehow. My SIL had a lower-trim 3 of that generation new (I want to say hers was a '14) with the 2.0 and the stick and it was just extremely pleasant to drive. It wasn't nearly as quick in a straight line as the '07 MS3 I'd sold a year before, but it actually felt lighter and more tossable.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
150K miles is a decent chunk but as long as it checks out mechanically and nobodys playing games you can get more years and miles out of it as a cheap and cheerful commuter car.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I love my 2014 manual mazda3 isport and it's been extremely reliable. Only about to hit 90k miles now though. Not a sport car zoom zoom at all, but echoing it's very pleasant to drive in non stop and go traffic

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/d/new-york-2014-ford-fiesta-st/7703638146.html

Counterpoint:Please tell me why I shouldn't buy this.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
My husband loves his 2014 Ford fiesta. It's semi zippy, can fit in tiny parking spots, gets good gas milage and is comfy enough in the front seats and who cares about back seat passengers. Trunk is plenty roomy and we've gone 2 person tent camping in it before no problem

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Replacing that $30 wheelbearing is a non-trivial amount of work, especially when dealing with rust, and replacing it with the wrong part screams "what else has this person hosed up".

The FiST is great, the real question mark on a cheap performance car is how badly has it been beaten by the previous owners.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Spikes32 posted:

My husband loves his 2014 Ford fiesta. It's semi zippy, can fit in tiny parking spots, gets good gas milage and is comfy enough in the front seats and who cares about back seat passengers. Trunk is plenty roomy and we've gone 2 person tent camping in it before no problem

They're great cars and I'd buy one in a hearbeat if the decent ones weren't out of my realistic price range.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DildenAnders posted:

They're great cars and I'd buy one in a hearbeat if the decent ones weren't out of my realistic price range.

I bought a 2017 Fiesta stick with the 1.0T for $13,800 new at a dealer, they must be $6k cars by now, right?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Twerk from Home posted:

I bought a 2017 Fiesta stick with the 1.0T for $13,800 new at a dealer, they must be $6k cars by now, right?

Fiestas, which are a dead car now, are typically $8-10k after like 1 year of ownership. They were a great deal. I got one that was a post rental and it was turbo screwed though lol.

When cars are killed by the manufacturer, it makes used values wacky, so it should be even lower now.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Twerk from Home posted:

They are, I was referring to the Fiesta St which started and is still roughly 2x what the 3 cylinder ones went/are going for.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

IOwnCalculus posted:

Replacing that $30 wheelbearing is a non-trivial amount of work, especially when dealing with rust, and replacing it with the wrong part screams "what else has this person hosed up".

The FiST is great, the real question mark on a cheap performance car is how badly has it been beaten by the previous owners.

This, I would not buy that car at all.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

TheBacon posted:

This, I would not buy that car at all.

Point taken.
I've never been to a dealership for anything other than recall work before. How do I not get my rear end hosed?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

DildenAnders posted:

Point taken.
I've never been to a dealership for anything other than recall work before. How do I not get my rear end hosed?

Its a used dealer, if you are personally fine with the posted price (seems fair to me) than if you want to just walk in and pay it they will sell it to you pretty easy.

If you want to haggle I am not the one for that. I hate haggling and dont have advice for it.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

It seems like the car has sat in their lot for a while (since September), I feel like there's no reason not to haggle. I also do not want to finance a car at all despite having okay credit (~740).How should I go about negotiating?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

DildenAnders posted:

It seems like the car has sat in their lot for a while (since September), I feel like there's no reason not to haggle. I also do not want to finance a car at all despite having okay credit (~740).How should I go about negotiating?

Hello, you are asking X amount for this vehicle. I would like to buy this vehicle for Y amount of money. Thank you

Don't finance a 10 year old car that has 150,000 miles on the clock. It will cost you at least 30% more than the original purchase amount.

Also, do not be afraid to just walk away at any point in the process. I know you already sold that car to yourself in your head, but in reality you can leave anytime for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Water under the carpet in the trunk? Just leave. Dealership giving you the runaround and asking you to pay more than the advertised price? That's right, leave. And leave them a bad review.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 26, 2024

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, don't mention that you aren't financing until the latest possible moment. Dealers pad their margins with financing kickbacks and will usually consider that in their negotiations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

DildenAnders posted:

Negotiate on the final, total out the door cost. If they want to sell the car as $1 and $20k in addons and docs/taxes, idc, what is the total price.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

TheBacon posted:

Counter point, 3rd gen is when they started moving up market. Thats the 2L instead of the 2.5L but the the Grand Touring was the too trim and even had adaptive cruise control (though not sure about with a manual). Nice leatherish heated seats, pretty tight interior quality, no rattles or squeaks, the things that makes it feel like a solid car.

Counter counter: Mazda moved upmarket but buyers didnt recognize it until the current gen.

Im not bagging on Mazda 3s though, quite the opposite. Its a huge boon to have all the leather and heated seats in an economy car while the price doesnt reflect it. It only sucks if you have to sell it, but it rocks if youre trying to buy one.

Regarding Fiesta STs, buy one, but beware the PO. Fists dont seem to have been as abused as the Focuses, but as mentioned above, the greatest downfall of any hot hatch is the previous owner.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
https://www.carmax.com/car/25224833

Is there something I'm missing on this car? I see what looks like recall fixes in California, but not much else. It's in my price range and low miles but don't want to pay to ship it closer if there is some glaring issue I'm not seeing.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Backno posted:

Is there something I'm missing on this car? I see what looks like recall fixes in California, but not much else. It's in my price range and low miles but don't want to pay to ship it closer if there is some glaring issue I'm not seeing.

To find out what you're missing, it's best to figure out what it is you're looking for.

The MSRP on that car was $22,000 and here you are 8 years and 27k miles later, thinking of paying $20,000 for it. Plus shipping.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Nitrox posted:

To find out what you're missing, it's best to figure out what it is you're looking for.

The MSRP on that car was $22,000 and here you are 8 years and 27k miles later, thinking of paying $20,000 for it. Plus shipping.

Last model year Fiesta STs were massively discounted off of MSRP. I think my brother in law's was around $19k if I remember.

Of course, that was 2017 dollars, which were worth like 25% more than 2024 dollars.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Backno posted:

It looks fine, but its dirty all over the interior and isnt worth the price theyre asking.

Heres my arguments: all four tires shoulda been replaced; not just two. The seller should have shampooed the interior or at least wiped poo poo down. Non recaros means the price is inflated for the year, even considering the low mileage. Its also a 2017, so a year before all fiestas got a backup camera. Thats another ding on the price.

That should be $17-18k.

FWIW I bought my 19 FiST from carmax with 1337 miles for 20k in April 2021. What theyve offered to buy it back has slowly dipped, mostly in the past few years. They probably bought that car for $15k. That means you can buy one for $16-17k privately, or 17-18 from a dealer.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Dr. Lunchables posted:

It looks fine, but its dirty all over the interior and isnt worth the price theyre asking.

Heres my arguments: all four tires shoulda been replaced; not just two. The seller should have shampooed the interior or at least wiped poo poo down. Non recaros means the price is inflated for the year, even considering the low mileage. Its also a 2017, so a year before all fiestas got a backup camera. Thats another ding on the price.

That should be $17-18k.

FWIW I bought my 19 FiST from carmax with 1337 miles for 20k in April 2021. What theyve offered to buy it back has slowly dipped, mostly in the past few years. They probably bought that car for $15k. That means you can buy one for $16-17k privately, or 17-18 from a dealer.

And this is the kind of info I was looking for. I have only really started to dig into the cars I am interested in, but no clue on what they've been going for recently, what is a good price, and the like. Appreciate the info.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hard to believe they are selling a 2017 Fiesta for $20k. Yes the mileage is low but geez.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Tossing in my attempt:

Proposed Budget: 30-40k
New or Used: New or <1 year used
Body Style: 4 door Sedan, size unknown because I don't know poo poo about cars. Not compact, I suppose?
How will you be using the car?: Just going to work and relatively short drives around the city I live in
What aspects are most important to you? MPG and maintenance requirements/price

Basically, I'm trying to see whether I should get a normal hybrid, or a plug-in hybrid. Normal hybrids seem like great deals for their price and are relatively hassle free, but plug-ins have eye-poppingly high MPG and I have access to a free charging station at work. Additionally, my work drive is short enough to fit within most plug-ins I've seen. And I think they qualify for tax credits, correct?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Umbreon posted:

Tossing in my attempt:

Proposed Budget: 30-40k
New or Used: New or <1 year used
Body Style: 4 door Sedan, size unknown because I don't know poo poo about cars. Not compact, I suppose?
How will you be using the car?: Just going to work and relatively short drives around the city I live in
What aspects are most important to you? MPG and maintenance requirements/price

Basically, I'm trying to see whether I should get a normal hybrid, or a plug-in hybrid. Normal hybrids seem like great deals for their price and are relatively hassle free, but plug-ins have eye-poppingly high MPG and I have access to a free charging station at work. Additionally, my work drive is short enough to fit within most plug-ins I've seen. And I think they qualify for tax credits, correct?

Tax credits depend on the size of battery and where that battery was manufactured. Personally I think if youre a multi car household a ICE/hybrid + EV is the way to go over plugin in hybrids. Plug in hybrids have basically two drive trains to maintain. If youre free charging at work is only level 1 (110v) you probably in the 3-5 miles per hour range. If its a level 2 charger you can probably charge up to 80% of just about any EV during your work day. If an EV doesnt work for you go enjoy a new Prius imo.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
When you say ICE/Hybrid + EV, are you saying to get both a Hybrid and a full Electric vehicle?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Umbreon posted:

When you say ICE/Hybrid + EV, are you saying to get both a Hybrid and a full Electric vehicle?

Yea one EV + some other vehicle that runs on gas(hybrid or not) is nice setup if you are going have two vehicles. We bought a Bolt EUV, it gets used for 90% of our trips around town. Our Buick wagon basically only sees highway miles and trips to Lowes now. I think of it as natural evolution of the minivan + sedan combo that many of us grew up around.

The point of sale tax credit changes this year made buying an EV economical for us compared to other vehicles. We got $7500 off at purchase via the tax credit changes and Chevy paid to have a level 2 charger installed in our garage.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Calidus posted:

Yea one EV + some other vehicle that runs on gas(hybrid or not) is nice setup if you are going have two vehicles. We bought a Bolt EUV, it gets used for 90% of our trips around town. Our Buick wagon basically only sees highway miles and trips to Lowes now. I think of it as natural evolution of the minivan + sedan combo that many of us grew up around.

The point of sale tax credit changes this year made buying an EV economical for us compared to other vehicles. We got $7500 off at purchase via the tax credit changes and Chevy paid to have a level 2 charger installed in our garage.

Are there full EVs that can fit in my budget? I was under the impression that most were over 50k, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right places.

I can only really do one vehicle, unfortunately.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Umbreon posted:

Are there full EVs that can fit in my budget?

A brand new base model Nissan Leaf is $30k. For $40k you can get an actually nice one with a 60 KwH battery pack as opposed to the 40 base one.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Umbreon posted:

Are there full EVs that can fit in my budget? I was under the impression that most were over 50k, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right places.

I can only really do one vehicle, unfortunately.

I don't know if there are any Chevy Bolts left on the lot anywhere at all, but MSRP starts at $27k and they have a $7,500 tax credit.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I love the Bolt but it would be a terrible road trip car. I dont think we would own one if we didnt have a second vehicle.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You seem like a perfect candidate for a Chevy Bolt, it's a perfect city car. And you can use tens of thousands of dollars you saved to rent a long wheelbase gasoline vehicle for an occasional road trip.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I never go on road trips so yeah I think just renting something else would be fine.

I'm doing some reading up on this, if I'm understanding this correctly, I have to keep my foot on the pedal the entire time I'm driving it? I can't coast after accelerating a bit like a normal ICE car?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Umbreon posted:

I never go on road trips so yeah I think just renting something else would be fine.

I'm doing some reading up on this, if I'm understanding this correctly, I have to keep my foot on the pedal the entire time I'm driving it? I can't coast after accelerating a bit like a normal ICE car?

Generally single pedal mode is something you can change as a setting. If it sounds too weird to do and you don't want to learn, keep it in two pedal mode. I don't think I've heard of a car only running single pedal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Umbreon posted:

Normal mode functions like a regular car. One pedal mode activates the regenerative breaking when you take your foot off the gas. Its easier to get used to than it sounds, and gives you better mileage and less ware on your breaks.