Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Deki posted:

I don't really care about that, its more the ones like Lovander where it looks like they straight up just pallet swapped a pokemon and added a few details and called it a new design.

Loveander does not share a silhouette with Salazzle.

people need to understand that there is a big difference between resemblance and actual Japanese law copyright infringement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

More like "Do Steal-Types dream of electric-type sheep" am I right?

Unironically mildly bothered by the thread title when there is no steel type in the game. Wonder if they'll introduce new types in updates or just keep it tight around the ones they have. There isn't exactly a deep type matchup mechanics, so it'd probably be hard to add in something like Steel.

e:

Potato Salad posted:

Loveander does not share a silhouette with Salazzle.

people need to understand that there is a big difference between resemblance and actual Japanese law copyright infringement

I dont think they care about copyright or the legal factors, it sounds more like they're pointing out it's disingenuous for people to go "how many ways are there to make creatures without overlapping pokemon" when there's some Pal designs that are obviously pokemon designs that have had the "copy my homework but change it a bit" treatment.

Ironically, I think there's some Pals that hit the same design notes as pokemon (fire + fox) that feel like not quite as obvious copies. (Foxsparks doesn't feel obviously a vulpix) but then again, there's Wixen or w/e that maybe feels a little too derivative of Braixen/Delphox, but that's far from a hill to die on.

IMO there's a few pals that just feel dubiously close in terms of feeling like they just tacked stuff onto a pokemon, and some I feel like they could have just tried a little bit harder to make unique. (Like maybe just swap the element or something.)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 25, 2024

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

They really need to rework armor durability. Either make it cheaper to repair or increase the durability or both. Sucks that I can't scale that in the PalWorldSettings.ini file.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I was originally going to post "Nintendo doesn't own the patent for the concept of a sexpot lizard" half-jokingly but they really don't. Regarding copyright , the silhouette -- the actual goods in Japanese intellectual property law here -- is also trivially obviously different enough to not be infringing

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 25, 2024

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Game pass version patched again, but again it's not up to the version Steam launched with. Still no dlss

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Making fun of the dogfight/Flintstones-ian “its a living 🤷‍♂️” hellworld that exists in pokemon if you think about it for longer than ten seconds doesn’t work as well without ‘mons that are “lapras with the serial numbers filed off” and I can’t figure out if twitter dipshit discourse is just bad faith or full pants on head stupid. Its both

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

weekly font posted:

Making fun of the dogfight/Flintstones-ian “its a living 🤷‍♂️” hellworld that exists in pokemon if you think about it for longer than ten seconds doesn’t work as well without ‘mons that are “lapras with the serial numbers filed off” and I can’t figure out if twitter dipshit discourse is just bad faith or full pants on head stupid. Its both

iunno, feels like it works fine with the dozens of pals that don't feel transparently ripped off? Like, at least for me, there's a fine line between "close" and "too close" and I feel like there's probably more Pals that are close but not too close, but the too close ones certainly feel like they could have tried a bit harder to hide it?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Why does cooking cakes take so loving long? I can literally make a cake from scratch faster than cooking a cake in game

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I put level points into work speed for good reason. gently caress holding down a button for 30 real life minutes to make higher end stuff.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Why does cooking cakes take so loving long? I can literally make a cake from scratch faster than cooking a cake in game

To encourage you to build that base item that speeds cooking, and to go find fire 3 pals to help. Possible? We are the wrong people to ask why the devs made the design decisions they made.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I usually leave the pals to do that sort of grunt work but I can't get them to stick to a task for any decent length of time. Give me a pal foreman or something already.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

The Slack Lagoon posted:

There are better cooking stations that will help speed it up, and pals with higher kindling skill will cook much faster.

But yeah, cakes take forever and three days to make by design as a limiter on the amount of pal breeding you can do.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Drakenel posted:

I put level points into work speed for good reason. gently caress holding down a button for 30 real life minutes to make higher end stuff.

I refuse to put any points into work speed on the grounds that the pals will do all that for me.

SettingSun posted:

I usually leave the pals to do that sort of grunt work but I can't get them to stick to a task for any decent length of time. Give me a pal foreman or something already.

There are some pals that only have one work type, and they're pretty handy for doing otherwise low-priority tasks.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

DaveKap posted:

This tweet about another tweet being misleading is itself also misleading. The only modifying they admitted to was scaling the models so they could be compared against each other and the thing about animal cruelty was not related to the later-given explanation about the scaling, that was a part of their original thread. In case there was any question, scaling is not modifying anything to look more or less like anything else, it's just changing a zoom factor so you can overlap the two models. Without scaling, one model is just 2 or 3 times bigger than the other one. The comparisons still work as a means of showing how the Pals look like they have elements that were traced versions of Pokemon models, just in 3D instead of 2D. I'm saying this while adding that I don't care if Pocketpair did or didn't trace anything because in the end, tracing isn't illegal so this is still purely court of public opinion stuff, but the discourse over this is like a tennis match of who can make up worse misinformation spun out of bad faith arguments.

I would like to apologize for bringing this discussion back up, I just think it's better to add a little extra context. That said, I, too, love Depresso.

Ummm actually Small Bart is Somethingawful's Intellectual Property I'll have you know

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

I refuse to put any points into work speed on the grounds that the pals will do all that for me.
Same, it feels like a point trap since you're supposed to let Pals do that for you. Spending some points to go from 60s to 30s of holding down the button still means I'm personally holding down that button for 30s too long.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Honestly having to hold the button down period is my major negative against the game.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It’s kind of a general issue I have with the whole genre but the idea of “we’ll balance it by making it take forever” seems like a lazy, bad way to handle it. I’d rather there were randomly distributed resources that you had to explore and find to breed or whatever other time-gated thing there is in the game. But again, this is a criticism of the whole genre and not so much Palworld specifically.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, as much as you can argue it's to discourage manual crafting, it should still just be a toggle/press once, since the drawback of tying up the player is still there.

Satisfactory realized players were able to tab out during hand-crafting to trick the button in a held state so they just made it a feature where you double tap the space bar to auto hand craft.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oxyclean posted:

iunno, feels like it works fine with the dozens of pals that don't feel transparently ripped off? Like, at least for me, there's a fine line between "close" and "too close" and I feel like there's probably more Pals that are close but not too close, but the too close ones certainly feel like they could have tried a bit harder to hide it?

It’s parody so why should they hide it? Go farther imo. Give me a rainbow Snorlax that looks like Wilfred Brimley and chain smokes when put to work.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Because of the bug with F being hardcoded and me using ESDF, I have to set up chests beside my incubators to block movement because of the long time you have to hold F to get the egg out. Otherwise I just go strafing off.
I was really hoping a better key config was going to be in the first patch.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

pik_d posted:

I'm curious, did you lose the materials from the destroyed stuff, or is it like when you intentionally break down things?

Turns out it seems like all of the materials dropped on the ground. When I walked around the area I picked up an absolute fuckton of wood/stone. Wasn't actually too bad to rebuild everything but in a better layout (and with stone) this time.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I have raised stamina 10 times and I'm 1 point short of making my carry weight 1000, having spent points nowhere else. so far so good

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Reminder to spend your pal souls at the Statue of Power. Doesn't even have to go on your combat pals, you can power up work too

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How does passing on skills work with breeding? Is it just a random chance for each skill? I'm trying to prepare for the ultimate assembly line by stacking +work bonuses on an Anubis or two.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Dackel posted:

Reminder to spend your pal souls at the Statue of Power. Doesn't even have to go on your combat pals, you can power up work too

The thing is I have a broken brain and saving those for "late game" pals. I probably should just use 'em. My Katress is good in combat, Vanwyrm as mount and Wyxen/Loupmoon/Tombat around the base. So why am I saving them anyway

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
tried to play this, but my laptop is too weak for it lol

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Dungeons feel like they're just designed to gently caress with everything's pathfinding. There's poo poo scattered everywhere that the AI just instantly gets caught up in.

E:
This wee lass would rather starve then walk two meters to the right to get down.

D.Fuzzbot fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 25, 2024

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Eight-Six posted:

I have raised stamina 10 times and I'm 1 point short of making my carry weight 1000, having spent points nowhere else. so far so good

Interesting, I did almost the complete opposite. I put zero points into stamina, four into work speed to get me through the early game, enough points into carrying weight to get me to 800 and then everything else into health.

I have more health than most pals I’m encountering at this point. I think I’m at like 3200 iirc.

My thinking was that I only need enough carrying weight to carry food, a gun, 500 ammo, a fuckton of pal spheres, a set of cold and hot armor, and a melee weapon. It leaves me enough space to pick up like 10-15 large/huge eggs.

I believe I’m level 38 so I guess if I wanted to I could put the remaining points into stamina but it’s 100 hp per point or 10 stam per point.

Dox023 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 25, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

:same:

HP, Carry Weight, and nothing else.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Sab669 posted:

This is the way. 1000 carry weight and then eternally pumping HP.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The dev should change it to speed boost for the whole camp.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Dungeons feel like they're just designed to gently caress with everything's pathfinding. There's poo poo scattered everywhere that the AI just instantly gets caught up in.

E:
This wee lass would rather starve then walk two meters to the right to get down.

Its a minor annoyance but my best Pal being a Lucky deer that's way too massive for any kind of tunnels/doorways is more than a little annoying.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I keep putting points into atk and I feel like it's just pissing in the wind

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Stat points could probably be better off as just straight boosts across the board on level up instead of a single stat point to invest.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Anyone find a good base for Sulfur and Stone? I know you can just build a quarry but the quarry seems to take precedence over all mining and i'm hoping to split it up.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It definitely seemed that way to me. You'll get better weapons as you level and tech up, so bonuses from stats just seem like a drop in the bucket. For a while I was hoping they were percentage increases and that would add up over time to something noticeable but it never really panned out that way and I was always behind the curve with Pals pumping out the real damage anyway. So now it's weight for quality of life, and then life for life of life.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Deki posted:

Its a minor annoyance but my best Pal being a Lucky deer that's way too massive for any kind of tunnels/doorways is more than a little annoying.

If it makes you feel better, the regular Eikthyrdeer is also too tall for the dungeons. Just be the tips of its antlers though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've only got two levels into it but I still feel like they're wasted. Feels like the player is never going to be doing anything more than chip damage to anything even close to their level and the real damage doers will always be your pals.

Luckily I'm otherwise doing what I do in every game which is pump the hell out of HP/end so I'm not fragile as well as weak. 1000 carry weight and everything else into HP seems like the universal best strat at the moment. It really doesn't help that there's zero healing so every HP you can get makes a huge difference and for pals defense and type advantage will always be the most important thing

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I saw that attack boosts increased it from 100 to 102 and lmao gently caress that, that's another thing that seems incredibly unbalanced compared to everything else.

I was feeling like the combat was getting weirdly difficult for the bosses but I think I was just trying to do too much direct combat instead of dodge rolling all over the place while my mons do the hard work. I do wish there was a way to unequip the collar that makes the poison floaty guy auto attack because it's a great mon to have with me but sometimes I wanna catch a low level mon without immediately murdering it.

I was hoping to be playing Infinite Wealth by now but Humble apparently doesn't have the keys yet somehow so I'm soothing my wounds with more pals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Stamina and Weight only. HP regenerates constantly and you can avoid every attack.