Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Ken: *singing the Ken song*
Me: *going through breakup* *tears, popcorn* : " he just like me fr fr"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Barbie: *singing the Barbie dream house song while floating through the air*
Me: *going through breakup* *tears, popcorn* : " she just like me fr fr"

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOTCMfLniTc

You know how sometimes Mike says "This is the worst thing I've ever seen"?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Jesus. I was deep in "that poor bastard must have mixed-at-best feelings" thought for the actor with the .01-dimensional "rah rah USA" role and then it turns out it's his project, lol. Very "Robot in the Family" vibes

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 25, 2024

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
this is pissing me the gently caress off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdG3OO5OVx8

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I think my favorite part of the Barbie Oscars drama is Hillary Clinton making up her own hashtag that combines Hillary and Barbie

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Gutcruncher posted:

I think my favorite part of the Barbie Oscars drama is Hillary Clinton making up her own hashtag that combines Hillary and Barbie

It was Her turn, after all........

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Harbie?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Even sadder than that. #hillarybarbie

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Gutcruncher posted:

Even sadder than that. #hillarybarbie

Lmfao, I was thinking it's gotta be "barbillary" but just not trying is :discourse:

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I gave Barbie a 3.5 on letterboxed. I know in my heart it's a five but I couldn't overcome my rage towards a woman making a masterpiece

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

moist turtleneck posted:

this is pissing me the gently caress off

[video type="youtube"]sdG3OO5OVx8[video]

Oh god, it's so much worse than I could have imagined.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I never saw Barbie, not cause I'm a misogynist but because I suffer from agoraphobia and haven't been outside in 3 years. :(

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

trilobite terror posted:

lol america will take every opportunity it can to whitewash Hiroshima/Nagasaki

like literally the entire core metaphor behind why Godzilla even exists as a property is the bombing of Japan

It gets worse considering that the creation of Gojira was partly influenced by Japanese fishing boat being caught in the fallout from the Castle Bravo test:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daigo_Fukury%C5%AB_Maru

Anyway the entire nerd-industrial complex is collapsing, so may we all look forward to better moopies.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Outpost22 posted:

I never saw Barbie, not cause I'm a misogynist but because I suffer from agoraphobia and haven't been outside in 3 years. :(

We watched it on the discord stream a while back.

It was alright.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I really enjoyed Barbie. Would have preferred fewer/shorter monologues, was bored by the daughter character, and it sort of tails off creatively towards the end but overall it was fun. And I laughed, like I am borderline starving for new comedy movies.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
barbie looked mid

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Jose Oquendo posted:

You're wrong on almost all of this but that's ok.

edit:

The opening song was good but I do think the other new songs were weak. I thought their use of Pure Imagination at the end was done well and felt earned. Hugh Grant was great as the Oompah Oompah. The fart cut to a flashback was hilarious. I enjoyed the weird machines and mechanical stuff Wonka used to make the machines. I'm always down for some weird Rube Goldberg type stuff.

I liked the chocoholic monks sing-chanting in unison their screams of panic

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Barbie was good. I liked it more the second time I watched it than the first time.

Also, hell yeah, a local AMC is gonna play The Zone of Interest, so I got a ticket for tomorrow.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
barbie is the kind of movie I will catch on tv in 2 years when visiting family

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

That's how I caught the Top Gun sequel. It was pretty cool, wish I had seen it on the big screen

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Billery Kenton

I’m losing my mind over here

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The famously rough and tumble Florida Keys

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

pangstrom posted:

I really enjoyed Barbie. Would have preferred fewer/shorter monologues, was bored by the daughter character, and it sort of tails off creatively towards the end but overall it was fun. And I laughed, like I am borderline starving for new comedy movies.

I agree with your points but I'm lower overall on it. it felt too pleased with itself, like it was expecting to be adored. kind of like mrs. clinton

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Haven't seen Barbie. My parents don't let me watch R-rated movies.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Barbie drama is frustrating because it seems to have devolved entirely into "because this movie is good, it should have a nomination in every category it could possibly be nominated in". But movies and performances can be good for different reasons. Supporting acting is different from lead acting. It doesn't mean Margot was less good than Gosling or whatever, it could just mean it's not really a "lead actor" sort of movie/role.

But people won't let that stop them of course, it's all about the thing you like winning the most awards.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

hmmm. this is crazy, but im actually hopeful for this roadhouse movie. the trailer makes it look like a different kind of stupid from the original and thats all you can ask from a remake. conor mcgregor looks to be absolutely terrible and i cannot wait for the fremdschamen from that either. visually it looks like neon puke (which is a plus for me) and again, it looks very stupid.

edit
honestly they should just go for even more amplified machismo and the final fight should be gyllenhaal and whomever totally nude, dongs hanging, full on no holds barred fistfight. and the dongs are cgi’d so they grow larger with each landed punch

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 25, 2024

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/HuffPostPol/status/1750203321640431700

Might give this a watch just to feel some nostalgia for that 2000s run, but I doubt it'll be a return to the glory days

oh good im sure this will definitely improve the media landscape

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm tired of these adult children who want their favorite toy promotion video to be honored by the academy as a means of validation.

But enough about the godzilla bros, back to barbie chat

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mordja posted:

Haven't seen Barbie. My parents don't let me watch R-rated movies.

I’m sort of in the same boat as you. My mom says any movie with discourse is out of bounds. They get me all riled up before bed.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

trilobite terror posted:

Disney’s gonna remake Grave of the Fireflies and put a third main character in it: a friendly American GI who helps the kids out

god drat, lol

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

this tweet reply starts off as funny but it gets downright horrifying when you realize that someone, somewhere, in real time

in this actual plane of existence

will get paid actual currency to write a Hungry Hippos movie with that exact premise:gonk:

https://twitter.com/theworstfr/status/1750185480984113637?t=Orks42cPHTPn0q4qhQ3xiA&s=19

Well yeah. We gotta explore what made them so hungry in the first place.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Cacator posted:

Well yeah. We gotta explore what made them so hungry in the first place.

They’re hungry for civil rights

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Bottoms > Barbie :colbert:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
'little mister, if you don't finish your broccoli you're going to go to bed a hungry hippo!'

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Sir Lemming posted:

The Barbie drama is frustrating because it seems to have devolved entirely into "because this movie is good, it should have a nomination in every category it could possibly be nominated in". But movies and performances can be good for different reasons. Supporting acting is different from lead acting. It doesn't mean Margot was less good than Gosling or whatever, it could just mean it's not really a "lead actor" sort of movie/role.

But people won't let that stop them of course, it's all about the thing you like winning the most awards.

I do think Robbie not getting a nomination is a surprising snub, but there's an awful lot of cherry-picking going on here. I've seen articles bitching about Gosling getting a nom and not Robbie and crying sexism... without mentioning that America Ferrera got a nomination for Best Supporting Actress. The AV Club (I know, I know) was hand-wringing about "I'm Just Ken" getting a nomination for Best Original Song, even though Billie Eilish's own song for Barbie was also nominated in the same category. In fact, the same publication ranked "I'm Just Ken" as the second best song on their shortlist of potential nominations.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

It's just more culture war poo poo. less to do with whether the movie is good or not and more that it's "important"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Also Margot Robbie got nominated for her role as a producer, which she apparently went a long way towards getting Barbie made at all. Everyone freaking out about her being “snubbed” keeps forgetting that.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

priznat posted:

Bottoms > Barbie :colbert:

Bottoms love Barbie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
people should be mad at greta for writing a movie where margot didn't have to act