Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

I think that's gonna depend a lot on what kind of coffee you enjoy or want to try. Personally I like light or medium roast arabica the best.

If you drink a lot of coffee and want to get some nicer beans you can sometimes get good value with five pound bags. Avoid the Starbucks stuff, it generally sucks rear end.

i went to a restaurant on saturday for breakfast that had the most amazing stuff from here:

i can't afford it tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

having a coffee

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
It's fun to try beans you haven't tried before. I understand it is the base for most instant coffees but has anyone ever bought Robusta beans? I don't recall ever seeing non-Arabica unground beans advertised for sale.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Dark roasts make all kinds of promises about rich flavors that they never follow up on. Light roasts have a lot of flavor but tend to make my stomach a little sour if I have too much. Medium roasts are where its at for a nice cup of coffee that identifiably smells and tastes like what I expect coffee to be

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Dokapon Findom posted:

It's fun to try beans you haven't tried before. I understand it is the base for most instant coffees but has anyone ever bought Robusta beans? I don't recall ever seeing non-Arabica unground beans advertised for sale.

get a can of cafe du monde at your nearest asian or unusually well stocked western grocery and drink with condensed milk or sweetened egg yolk

beans you might be able to find as well. everything robusta ive seen is marketed almost exclusively to the vietnamese market so start there I guess

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

coffee beans and grounds are like one of the top 2 smells (along with chipotle)
but atm im completely caffeine free not even decaf so i drink peppermint tea instead, its not even close to the same and I miss coffee every morning
caffiene hits me weird though, i am awake while drinking the coffee then crash immediately and get real sleepy

im gonna run a marathon in april so my plan is no coffee at all til then, then I will have a cup of coffee before the marathon and its like shooting speed.
or i'll poo poo myself

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

Is there something preventing you from measuring the coffee before putting it in the grinder? I'm sure you can find a small bowl or something to put on the food scale.

I could, but I use a small manual grinder that I now know weighs like 350 grams so it’s easier to just put it on the scale directly. sorry for being tedious!

anyway measured out 15 grams for a white americano and it’s good!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Nix Panicus posted:

Dark roasts make all kinds of promises about rich flavors that they never follow up on. Light roasts have a lot of flavor but tend to make my stomach a little sour if I have too much. Medium roasts are where its at for a nice cup of coffee that identifiably smells and tastes like what I expect coffee to be

in my experience dark roasts are mostly burnt to poo poo

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

sun is rising, coffee is flowing

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
its dark as poo poo, much like my coffee

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Milk and sugar in coffee is an abomination

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
It's rather amazing how Starbucks manages to burn every bean that passes into its possession

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Nix Panicus posted:

Milk and sugar in coffee is an abomination

Once served a guy who asked for a pat of butter on the side to put in his coffee. He said it had health benefits

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

Once served a guy who asked for a pat of butter on the side to put in his coffee. He said it had health benefits

this is called bulletproof coffee and it's for idiotic keto doers

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

How do people keep their beans fresh? After about two weeks my beans are noticeably stale but I still have half the bag left and don't like being wasteful

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Nix Panicus posted:

How do people keep their beans fresh? After about two weeks my beans are noticeably stale but I still have half the bag left and don't like being wasteful

put it in an airtight container

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Turn-to-seal vacuum canister.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Nix Panicus posted:

Vaccum container for countertop storage.

You can freeze unopened bags to preserve them for longer. It also depends how fresh your coffee was to begin with. Most coffee from the supermarket is already pretty old.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hey man my coffee is getting stale what can i do

cspam: purcahse this $50 kitchen gadget

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Karach posted:

Vaccum container for countertop storage.

You can freeze unopened bags to preserve them for longer. It also depends how fresh your coffee was to begin with. Most coffee from the supermarket is already pretty old.

lmao what about a ziplock bag

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
hey buddy ever hear of a lid??

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

hey buddy ever hear of a lid??

My coffee comes in foil lines bags with little outgassing seals and a built in tie. Theres nowhere to put a lid!

Next time my wife finishes up a can of Cafe Bustelo I'll use that for my beans and maybe toss a nice label on it

In the meantime, I'll just have to double my coffee consumption so I can use it up faster than my beans go stale

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Beans last for a week before going stale, grinds stay fresh for ~4 hours, brewed coffee freshness duration varies based on method but lasts from 45-60 minutes in a sealed urn to about a minute for a fresh espresso shot.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the best coffee is the lil bit i leave in my cup over the weekend at my cubicle. hits just right on monday morning

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

i say swears online posted:

the best coffee is the lil bit i leave in my cup over the weekend at my cubicle. hits just right on monday morning

:mods:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

One guy would come in once a week to get a full 16oz cup of espresso, he said he kept it by his bedside and just took a big swig every morning til it was empty :sludgepal:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what's a pint of espresso cost

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

He would collect stamps buying cookies, newspapers over the weekday mornings and redeem the drink as his freebie on Sunday evenings, otherwise it would have easily cost +$10; at the time I think it was $2.50 for a single shot and $0.50 for each additional shot

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
buy smaller bags. i reup every week cuz the bags i get are the size of a dorito bag.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dokapon Findom posted:

He would collect stamps buying cookies, newspapers over the weekday mornings and redeem the drink as his freebie on Sunday evenings, otherwise it would have easily cost +$10; at the time I think it was $2.50 for a single shot and $0.50 for each additional shot

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

think about this from time to time

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

i say swears online posted:

lmao what about a ziplock bag

Ziploc bags have some degree of gas permeability, and are difficult to entirely remove the air from. They're better than nothing, though.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Dokapon Findom posted:

One guy would come in once a week to get a full 16oz cup of espresso, he said he kept it by his bedside and just took a big swig every morning til it was empty :sludgepal:

concerning

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

Ohtori Akio posted:

Got my poo poo in.

happy 4 u

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

moreover, free croup

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

moreover, free croup

this inspired me to make a 2nd cup (of coffee)

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

my old coffee preservation approach was silly.

-grind up 16 oz of beans
-make a giant batch of cold brew
-pour into wine bottles
-use vacuum wine seals
-store in refrigerator

Great combination of cost and effectiveness, but too much effort making the cold brew

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
the worst coffee ive ever had was in the evening at a coworkers place, but it had been sitting the in the coffee pot lukewarm all day, and he poured some of it into a mug and microwaved it for me. he went by the name Hot Dogs and he was learning Lithuanian to connect with his roots so he would say things like "Labas, homie, what's up?" we got stoned and watched his fish. it was bad coffee

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

TehSaurus posted:

my old coffee preservation approach was silly.

-grind up 16 oz of beans
-make a giant batch of cold brew
-pour into wine bottles
-use vacuum wine seals
-store in refrigerator

Great combination of cost and effectiveness, but too much effort making the cold brew

you might be ahead of the curve there, since the goon approach is apparently just storing folgers in an old lunchables container that still kinda reseals, kept next to the bleach and dish soap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

had to have some extra coffee today