Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
I couldn't help it, I did jazz hands when he said "Oh, my stars and garters."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I guess we aren’t spoilering anything

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Joe Fisto posted:

I guess we aren’t spoilering anything

It'd be nice if the very first post on a Wednesday has a spoiler bar in it just to reminds folks that it's new comics day, but after the first post you should just have to be aware of spoilers from there on out.

Is the wall of names from the final page of Magneto supposed to be something? I was thinking maybe list of mutants in the Waiting Room, but figured there'd be at least one name that's a character you've heard of.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Subforum rules is no spoilers in discussion threads.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I think it's nice to spoiler tag things on release day and 24h later is, welp, if you are still reading the thread without checking the more recent issues is because you don't mind spoilers.

PS: gently caress Beast.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009
Man it's not even my lunch break yet.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Resurrection of Magneto was great, Ewing and Vecchio are in top form.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wonder if Tarn will return. I did feel he was killed a bit too fast.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rochallor posted:

It'd be nice if the very first post on a Wednesday has a spoiler bar in it just to reminds folks that it's new comics day, but after the first post you should just have to be aware of spoilers from there on out.

Is the wall of names from the final page of Magneto supposed to be something? I was thinking maybe list of mutants in the Waiting Room, but figured there'd be at least one name that's a character you've heard of.

My guess is that it's the names of all the Genoshan mutants who were killed who never had a chance to return.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
My guess is it's Mags' own body count. If this is supposed to be like a hell place that tortures you, that'd be the easiest thing my mind jumps to

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

My guess is it's Mags' own body count. If this is supposed to be like a hell place that tortures you, that'd be the easiest thing my mind jumps to

Ehh, I think Mags is probably more haunted by what happened to Genosha than anyone he personally killed. Like, isn't most of his direct body count literal loving Nazis?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah and I don't think Magneto actually has a huge body count, especially if the retcon of him not being the same Magneto in Morrison's run still holds.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think there's a sub full of Soviet sailors somewhere in there.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Rez of Mags was absolutely phenomenal. Every month Ewing competes with himself to be the best writer at either company, and the competition is stiff, but Ewing always wins.

Very big props have to go to Luciano Vecchio as well, who's doing probably his best Marvel work here. I think everyone is generally used to his cartoonier style that's usually very bright and...upbeat?...but there are raw as gently caress pages here that boggle the mind.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah and I don't think Magneto actually has a huge body count, especially if the retcon of him not being the same Magneto in Morrison's run still holds.

The EMP in Fatal Attractions was supposed to be real bad.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

BrianWilly posted:

Very big props have to go to Luciano Vecchio as well, who's doing probably his best Marvel work here. I think everyone is generally used to his cartoonier style that's usually very bright and...upbeat?...but there are raw as gently caress pages here that boggle the mind.

That final page of Storm and Tharn was breathtaking.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

BrianWilly posted:

Rez of Mags was absolutely phenomenal. Every month Ewing competes with himself to be the best writer at either company, and the competition is stiff, but Ewing always wins.

Ewing has had one comic that was a miss for me and that's Venom, and that's not even his book. It's a book he had to come in on later when Cates had his car accident. The man is peerless.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

wiegieman posted:

Ewing has had one comic that was a miss for me and that's Venom, and that's not even his book. It's a book he had to come in on later when Cates had his car accident. The man is peerless.

???

Cates' Venom run ended and Ewing's started in 2021. Cates' accident was sometime in late 2022-early 2023.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Blockhouse posted:

???

Cates' Venom run ended and Ewing's started in 2021. Cates' accident was sometime in late 2022-early 2023.

I'm remembering it wrong then. In my defense, I don't really care about venom.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

wiegieman posted:

I'm remembering it wrong then. In my defense, I don't really care about venom.

Then maybe that's why it didn't work for you

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 25, 2024

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I read the wall of names in Resurrection as a memorial wall similar to this Holocaust memorial (grabbed from an image search):

As such I think it's less about Magneto's own body count and more about people he feels he should've saved.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Ewing's cosmology of the Marvel Universe is really good and I want him to write Dr. Strange (after Mckay is finished) but it kinda makes me sad knowing that no one else will ever pay it any mind or, possibly worse, probably reference it poorly

I've been re-reading Immortal Hulk since I got the omnibus on sale during the holidays. I think this guy is my favorite modern(domestic(writer)) comics guy.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Careful with those parentheses or you might pull a Joe Bennett.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

It was very neat finally getting to meet the Phalanx Dominion. Especially with it's characterization as a hungry, hungry caterpillarcomputer just waiting for it's next snack to ripen.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Ewing's cosmology of the Marvel Universe is really good and I want him to write Dr. Strange (after Mckay is finished) but it kinda makes me sad knowing that no one else will ever pay it any mind or, possibly worse, probably reference it poorly

Granted they are both working together in the X office at the moment, but Gillen seemed ready and willing to expand on the Defender's Beyond material. Anyway, even if no one else picks up his ideas, Ewing has been masterful in how he threads his cosmic ideas from one series to the next, so as long as he's working for Marvel, I expect he'll keep them going. I'm curious what threads he will pick up in Immortal Thor (beyond Loki, of course.). Might be happening already, given I haven't read this weeks issue yet.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gillen came up with Enigma, by the way, and everything around it. It was in his pitch.

Ewing asked if he could tease it in Defenders and Gillen said yes.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Fell down a rabbit hole trying to figure out what that Wolverine and Gambit issue was. Apparently it was a UK only book that reprinted old stories.

There's a cover that has Wolverine with bone claws, but the story inside is a reprint of an issue from the Wolverine and Kitty Pryde mini series. Marvel database has the comic you're looking for somewhere, but it'd take a while to find it unless we can sus out what comic it was reprinting.

If anyone is curious I did some more digging and narrowed down the range of issues I read at least, early 2001, and I am absolutely certain because I discovered they included this absolute delight and brought some memories back immediately.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Wolverine_Vol_2_22

The evil cocaine monster was quite memorable, funnily enough.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

If anyone is curious I did some more digging and narrowed down the range of issues I read at least, early 2001, and I am absolutely certain because I discovered they included this absolute delight and brought some memories back immediately.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Wolverine_Vol_2_22

The evil cocaine monster was quite memorable, funnily enough.

"THIS TIME IT'S REAL..."

Was there a previous Spore fake-out? If I was reading Wolvie at this time, would I have gone "gently caress YES!" when I saw that cover blurb?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ewing has fallen (for many years now, I might add, it didn't start recently) into what I call the Grant Morrison Hole, where the only writers willing to pick up and continue his ideas are basically just himself. Which on one hand is a drat shame, on the other hand I'm at least 50% certain other writers wouldn't do as good a job anyway so it's for the best.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It is hard to think of another writer who would, for any reason, do an entire goddamned superhero book that's explicitly built around not only Kabbalistic symbolism, but following up on the Kabbalistic symbolism that Claremont mentioned in passing 40 years ago.

It's not even a criticism. It's just a question of what directions somebody typically bothers to go in, especially in a medium like superhero comics.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Reading Sins of Sinister it feels like it would have been nice if they would have had a little more time to breathe post AvXvE. It doesn't necessarily feel like a sudden switch or anything since honestly they had been doing more to set this event up than Judgement Day in the months prior but I could have used just a few more Krakoa slice of lifes. I guess there will be some between this event ending and Fall.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

danbanana posted:

"THIS TIME IT'S REAL..."

Was there a previous Spore fake-out? If I was reading Wolvie at this time, would I have gone "gently caress YES!" when I saw that cover blurb?
I believe a few issues prior there was an entire comic that was basically him hallucinating being eaten by the monster while it dumped its entire backstory into his hindbrain via trying to infect him. Source: my vague memories of my uncle's enormous comic collection.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey with the spread in resurrection of Magneto with all the symbolic gates, what're the bottom three right? The green gem, the golden bleeding wreathed skull, and the pokeball?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Synthbuttrange posted:

and the pokeball?

WE WILL CATCH THEM ALL CHARLES, NOT THEM

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Rick posted:

Reading Sins of Sinister it feels like it would have been nice if they would have had a little more time to breathe post AvXvE. It doesn't necessarily feel like a sudden switch or anything since honestly they had been doing more to set this event up than Judgement Day in the months prior but I could have used just a few more Krakoa slice of lifes. I guess there will be some between this event ending and Fall.

I feel like this has been just about everything since Inferno. The X-Office wanted more time in Krakoa, and we got two years after Inferno, but the pace has been blistering, especially as it feels like editorial decided time was up. Things that would have had room to breathe in the first couple years of Krakoa are just getting short series and dumped as quickly as possible as they prepare for whatever is next. It's only been six months since the last Hellfire Gala, and the status quo that came from that definitely needed more time to cook in my opinion.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I haven't managed to read the whole x-series of the Krakoan age (there's a ton of it), so some things are still a bit hazy.

Was Moira always going to betray the mutants, or was Destiny's return the main tipping point? Did she ever intend for Krakoa to succeed? How did she find her way into Orchis? And I thought she had seen the machine-dominated future as a nightmare in person (at least twice), but now she's all for it?

Also, Forge gets hit by his neutralizer gun, very clearly stated to be irreversible, but later seems to be just fine and building stuff.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hey with the spread in resurrection of Magneto with all the symbolic gates, what're the bottom three right? The green gem, the golden bleeding wreathed skull, and the pokeball?

Like other pages in the comic, it's a reference to common tarot card art, in this case the Seven of Cups. The gates you asked about are in place of a treasure horde, laurel wreath, and dragon, respectively. If they are references to other cosmic entities in Marvel, like the others, they are ones I'm not familiar with. The orb looks vaguely like the dragon symbol used by Dr. Strange.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Sephyr posted:

I haven't managed to read the whole x-series of the Krakoan age (there's a ton of it), so some things are still a bit hazy.

Was Moira always going to betray the mutants, or was Destiny's return the main tipping point? Did she ever intend for Krakoa to succeed? How did she find her way into Orchis? And I thought she had seen the machine-dominated future as a nightmare in person (at least twice), but now she's all for it?

Also, Forge gets hit by his neutralizer gun, very clearly stated to be irreversible, but later seems to be just fine and building stuff.

Nothing about Moira in this makes any loving sense to me, she's the weakest part of the whole thing. It's been a character assassination hatchet job almost as bad as Beast's, albeit his has been going on for well over a decade now so it's practically ingrained at this point.

As far as Forge's gun goes, though, if it were irreversible wouldn't Ororo have been grounded for the last (not)25 years?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It's completely irreversible forever.

Until it isn't.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ororo had to be turned into a child then re-aged to get her powers back, so maybe that happened to Forge off-panel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Forge also could have been killed and resurrected with his powers