Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TheMightyBoops posted:

I’ve never got the impression that he’s bought into the auteur thing and that saved him. He just likes games.

The other 2 people in that movie are high on their own supply and it kind of reflects based on how much more interview bits they have talking about themselves self importantly.

He is actually the worst person in Indie Game The Movie because he refused to fix Delirium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He is actually the worst person in Indie Game The Movie because he refused to fix Delirium.

According to my Google search that bit was designed by someone else and they’re trying to fix it as of 3 months ago.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DoctorWhat posted:

Johnathan Blow's efforts to force gamers to engage with some actual culture is righteous but he's an odious creep so gently caress'em.

"actual culture" lmao

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TheMightyBoops posted:

According to my Google search that bit was designed by someone else and they’re trying to fix it as of 3 months ago.

THey should make an indie game movie 2 but its a takedown of lazy devs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

euroshopper posted:

remember when half the people making GBS threads on phil fish for this take later started calling eizouken too woke and westernized because of brown skinned anime girls

???

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The roughly three year period where indie games were focused on like three bearded white guys FTW

The early 2010's obsession with indie games made by annoying as gently caress "auteurs" as some kind of counterculture movement to AAA brown and bloom photorealism is a really funny microcosm of how loving stupid the discourse within mainstream western gaming spaces was then. It was the height of this desperate movement to have something gamers could aloft as an example of high art from the medium and a bunch of insecure meltdowns over the success of games that weren't perceived to be in pursuit of this lofty goal.

fake e. Like I remember the gaming press losing their goddamn minds over Journey and all these articles about how it was deeply culturally meaningful because of how unique it's communication system was for a co-op game; a bold social experiment laying bare the true psyche of its players. By which they meant there's no chat function so people communicated via a button that made bleep-bloop noises and drawing dicks in the sand. Truly gaming at last had its Citizen Kane.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Helping newbies through Journey was a lot of fun fwiw, particularly if you unlocked the sweet white clock with all the decals. Just straight up gandalfing pubbies through light puzzle elements ftw.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think it was pretty good that indie games evolved beyond the "bearded white auteur" moment, and "high culture" envy is absolutely not confined to the indies lol. look at how much they love any cinematic action game with a remotely "serious" story

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sydin posted:

The early 2010's obsession with indie games made by annoying as gently caress "auteurs" as some kind of counterculture movement to AAA brown and bloom photorealism is a really funny microcosm of how loving stupid the discourse within mainstream western gaming spaces was then. It was the height of this desperate movement to have something gamers could aloft as an example of high art from the medium and a bunch of insecure meltdowns over the success of games that weren't perceived to be in pursuit of this lofty goal.

fake e. Like I remember the gaming press losing their goddamn minds over Journey and all these articles about how it was deeply culturally meaningful because of how unique it's communication system was for a co-op game; a bold social experiment laying bare the true psyche of its players. By which they meant there's no chat function so people communicated via a button that made bleep-bloop noises and drawing dicks in the sand. Truly gaming at last had its Citizen Kane.

Remember when cliffy b said it was sad Roger Ebert had died before bioshock infinite came out

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

phil fish was def an rear end in a top hat and probably a xenophobe but don't pretend like a good amount of the hate he got was reasonable and not just "lol this guy is a beta male who wants to destroy our big booby gaming waifus"

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
it was tragic we didnt get to see him laugh at it

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
lol cliffyb in front of two buttons with a copy of bioshock infinite that say ebert and pope

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think it was pretty good that indie games evolved beyond the "bearded white auteur" moment, and "high culture" envy is absolutely not confined to the indies lol. look at how much they love any cinematic action game with a remotely "serious" story

Honestly, gaming in the 2010s was just gamers being utterly desperate for mainstream affirmation of the medium as big boy real art.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

euroshopper posted:

phil fish was def an rear end in a top hat and probably a xenophobe but don't pretend like a good amount of the hate he got was reasonable and not just "lol this guy is a beta male who wants to destroy our big booby gaming waifus"

You need to chill out dude.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Honestly I liked a lot of what Infinite did but the idea you'd use it to convince Ebert that games were art is very funny.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
It doesn't help that it feels like the one trick game devs always fall back on when they want to make their game seem deep is "Oh, what if the choices this game presented you were actually just an illusion? What if it were in fact the game that was playing YOU?"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

euroshopper posted:

everything that you talk authoritatively about in this thread happened when you were 8 years old

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Fil5000 posted:

Honestly I liked a lot of what Infinite did but the idea you'd use it to convince Ebert that games were art is very funny.

as bad as the "are games art discourse" was i think the funniest answer to that question by far was "games were not art until bioshock infinite came out"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

euroshopper posted:

all the hate phil fish got was reasonable because those statements were bald-facedly racist, even if some of the people who got mad at him were morons independent of their opinions on fish

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, big booby gaming women ftw

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Fil5000 posted:

Remember when cliffy b said it was sad Roger Ebert had died before bioshock infinite came out

I'm glad a game as brave as Bioshock Infinite finally came along to say what needed to be said: racism is bad, but not that bad, lol.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Oh yeah for sure, you also had stuff like Uncharted, the Tell Tale games, etc coming out in the same period that were very heavily leaning into being "cinematic" first and foremost as a crutch for being taken "seriously." But there was definitely a wave of people latching onto stuff like Fez, The Witness, Limbo, etc as gaming at last breaking through the wall of immature medium with nothing to say artistically.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't really want to rehash 2010s gamecrit discourse to be fair, it was all really bad. then again its always really bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why did anyone think the whole western gaming sphere was insanely racist, truly a mystery

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also i posted this guy before but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYgIOJXVvXM
this was fun because while i was aware of the existence of back in 1995 i did not know at all, that it turned into a metaficitonal commentary on game nostalgia lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

euroshopper posted:

I think you've let some weird 4chan adjacent twitter freak nestle in your brain and you've decided to compare everything to what they would have said and that's just sad. Hope you are released from this burden one day

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
More like Fail Fish
More like Jonathan Blows

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Anyway nothing Blow made was as emotionally moving or narratively daring as like...any given jrpg on the psx.

Johnathan blow did not have the imagination to make wild arms or the creativity to write ff7 and I mean this unironically.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i dont want to poo poo on anyone who likes the witness (the shitness) and im glad he got to make the weird game that he wanted to make. didnt like it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
then again i think Kentucky Route Zero is boring rear end so what do i know

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Anyway nothing Blow made was as emotionally moving or narratively daring as like...any given jrpg on the psx.

Johnathan blow did not have the imagination to make wild arms or the creativity to write ff7 and I mean this unironically.

jonathan blow did not have the imagination to make oneechanbara

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i dont want to poo poo on anyone who likes the witness (the shitness) and im glad he got to make the weird game that he wanted to make. didnt like it.

I like puzzles, I say in the cadence of the turtle kid.

I think Talos Principle does some of the not-puzzle stuff the witness attempts better however.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
see i really didn't like Talos but i also hate mirror-laser puzzles and the "everything is text logs" storytelling method so i was not the target audience

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

If you say you don’t like picross puzzles next we are going to loving war.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the witness and the talos principle are alike in that they're both best enjoyed by completely ignoring the plot/lore

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

The Ted talks are lame but the clip from Nosthalgia about carrying the candle rules.

That clip honestly needs the whole movie to tell you the guy has to carry that candle thru the empty pool because Christ Almighty.

Wanna see the dog that was on AGDQ win a match for Ken Griffith Jr for the SNES?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

It's amazing how the only indie game developer I would consider an "auteur" or groundbreaking in any way is also the one that never seems to come up in discussions about "auteurs", and is also not toxic as gently caress (as far as I know).

Toby Fox. I'm referring to Toby Fox and Undertale. Please don't tell me he's also toxic as gently caress.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

toby fox contributed a song to yiik, cancel and erase him imo

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Endorph posted:

remember when phil fish outright told some japanese dude that JAPANESE GAMES SUCK AND ARE DEAD and every gaming website was applauding him for dropping this truth bomb

(chuckles) whose laughing now phil fish?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

toby fox contributed a song to yiik, cancel and erase him imo

And there it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

repiv posted:

the witness and the talos principle are alike in that they're both best enjoyed by completely ignoring the plot/lore

hey, the talos principle dlc about the like 19 robots that get put in robot jail and have nothing to do for centuries other than post on the robot forums and make text adventures about how being in jail rules, was pretty good

i also respect 2 for completely redefining the game and the way the story is told but i admittedly haven’t gotten to the end yet so maybe it spins out