Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I don't think Warhammer Fantasy RPG is a "reaction to D&D" at all, but it's similar to Runequest in the sense that it uses a D100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I don't think of WHFRP 1E as rules-heavy. It has some tables, and the rules are ridiculously wordy, but the underlying system is dead simple. The crunch is extremely shallow. There's hit locations but not really. There's no derived stats. Skills are like: blah blah blah you get +10% to an ability check. Etc. It's pretty clean and fast in my recollection. Attacks miss a lot though.

The book is bloated and tonally messy, trying to include everything, but IMHO it's strongly low fantasy horror with generic lip-service towards D&D-ish heroic fantasy. The adventures put it clearly into the low fantasy horror zone, and they're very "trad"/plotty/railroady (Death on the Reik notwithstanding). It predates 2E by a little bit but I think it's fairly similar in that it's carrying around a lot of crud that it doesn't seem to know what it's for, really, because, look, just go chase the goblin into the sewers to get to the next part, okay? So in the sense that it's "early trad" I'd say that makes it not old school -- but labels are just for fun I'm not your mom.

I guess you could argue it's old-school because it's adapted from a wargame lol, but WH is soooo low-sim it kinda doesn't count IMO. (Interestingly WHFRP is not really concerned with its wargame heritage at all; I don't remember any notion in it that gameplay will resolve with some kind of pitched battle with PCs acting as heroes with some squads helping them out. --ie, kinda 2E-ish trad.) The most resonance it has with the OSR is its low-fantasy horror aspect, and there have been OSR BXish adaptations to the WHFRP world: Small But Vicious Dog, and Ten Dead Rats.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

I always thought it counted as OSR. I mean, Zweihander often gets categorized as OSR (At least in the places where the creator hasn't been banned for being obnoxious) and that's a pretty by the numbers WFR retroclone.

Most people seem to regard it as being a strictly D&D exercise, but personally I think we should count all attempts at celebrating, aping, or resurrecting 80s design as OSR. Shadowrun 1e retroclones are OSR!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
gurps is OSR

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mellonbread posted:

I don't think Warhammer Fantasy RPG is a "reaction to D&D" at all, but it's similar to Runequest in the sense that it uses a D100.
It is in the same sense that Runequest, Traveller, and probably most games until some undefined point in the late 80s, maybe 1990, are reactions to D&D. It's the 800lb. gorilla, and everything you do with your design is going to be evaluated in comparison to how D&D does it. By 1990-95, there are successful non-D&D franchises inspiring people to make games of their own, cultures of play developing where most or all of the people at the table have never played D&D, et cetera, so people aren't evaluating every new game in terms of how much it clings to or breaks away from How D&D Does It. That's my read, anyway.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
4e is osr (good)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

thotsky posted:

gurps is OSR

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Ongeons Sand Ragons

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Onerous Sand Rangoons

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Edit: Wrong thread.

Has anyone ever seen a system where it costs, say, one minute per GP to buy an item?

So you can walk into a store and buy a prybar instantaneously, but a horse takes all day and a house takes a week?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

sasha_d3ath posted:

Onerous Sand Rangoons

live crabs

Jack B Nimble posted:

Has anyone ever seen a system where it costs, say, one minute per GP to buy an item?

So you can walk into a store and buy a prybar instantaneously, but a horse takes all day and a house takes a week?

gotta go to the DMV; gotta do closing paperwork

(interesting idea)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

mellonbread posted:

I think if it's a reaction to D&D, it's a reaction to GW losing their rights to license and distribute D&D products from TSR.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Edit: Wrong thread.

I vaguely remember there being something like that in Deadlands when ordering from Smith & Robards, if you wanted one of the insanely expensive and/or complicated devices it took longer to get shipped.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

I think if it's a reaction to D&D, it's a reaction to GW losing their rights to license and distribute D&D products from TSR.

Whoa whoa what now? I'm gonna need to hear more about the alternate history we almost had with this.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
GW shifted from a manufacturer of stuff for tabletop board games to a TTRPG and wargame company in the late 1970s when it acquired the UK distribution rights to D&D products from TSR. The company's initial success was basically built off of their licensing deal with TSR, but it fell apart when Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone backed out of a deal to merge the company with TSR. When Tom Kirby took over as general manager in the mid-80s the company shifted its focus to Warhammer and the rest is history

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I was thinking it's a pretty quick way to to represent the many ways in which the more expensive purchases are complicated.

The object of the purchase may not be immediately available both in the sense that it may not be located either with the seller or even centrally located at all (yes I can sell you a wagon load of flour. No I don't have it with me) but also in the sense that you may not immediately know where to buy, say, a warhorse or a house.

The object may also require a degree of customization or even manufacture - you don't buy plate mail off the rack I'd imagine even relatively simple armor, saddle bags, etc may require some retooling to make sure they actually fit you perfectly.

I'm familiar with the availability system from Warhammer RPGs but I like how this system doesn't require rolls and scales easily. You could eat up an hour or two in the morning preparing for an adventure, or require days or even weeks to outfit a small army.

It'd probably be a good idea to limit the purchasing "time" to ten hours a day and maybe even rationalize it something more like 2 hours per 100 gp or something, so players don't need a calculator for every trip.

Also the actual time vs money ratio would need to, you know, make sense, but that's something you can work backwards from based on your own price list.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

90s Cringe Rock posted:

4e is osr (good)

Not really though there is a fully compatible clone of 4e available now called Orcus that looks interesting

PeterWeller posted:

Definitely this

KingKalamari posted:

GW shifted from a manufacturer of stuff for tabletop board games to a TTRPG and wargame company in the late 1970s when it acquired the UK distribution rights to D&D products from TSR. The company's initial success was basically built off of their licensing deal with TSR, but it fell apart when Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone backed out of a deal to merge the company with TSR. When Tom Kirby took over as general manager in the mid-80s the company shifted its focus to Warhammer and the rest is history

Yup definitely a very interesting What If there

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Kidnap the Archpriest has a system where different rarity tiers of purchases take different amounts of time to purchase. That's an adventure with a tight clock, though.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

PeterWeller posted:

And then 40K was primarily a reaction to them losing the license to make official 2000AD minis.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Wasn't Blizzard's Warcraft supposed to be in the Warhammer universe but they couldn't work out a deal with GW?

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
Basically, yeah. It's funny looking at the Big Pauldrons in all the generic fantasy art that followed in the wake of WoW and tracking the chain of derivative inspiration for that design element directly to 40K lifting from Judge Dredd.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Almost caught up on 3d6 DTL :henget: after having started it back in the fall. What other osr actual play podcasts do you recommend?

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

FastestGunAlive posted:

Almost caught up on 3d6 DTL :henget: after having started it back in the fall. What other osr actual play podcasts do you recommend?

3d6DTL is the best I've found by a wide margin.

I tried looking for actual plays of OSR modules a few years ago and found them super depressing. The first, whose name I forgot, was them 'playing' Hot Spring Island for three episodes, but something like 80% of episode two was them complaining about how woke the new Star Wars movies were. I think I listened to an episode of Fear of a Black Dragon, which seemed much better, but which also didn't grip me at all. That all was a few years ago, though.

Blogs on Tape is great, but not at all Actual Play--it's literally just reading out the best OSR blog posts in podcast form.

I just started 3d6's Arden Vul campaign when it was mentioned in this thread a few weeks ago, and I'm loving it so far. Most of the AP podcasts I listen to are very polished and produced, so it's a breath of fresh air listening to one where the first episode consists entirely of going half way up a staircase, and where they've lost 2 characters in 6 episodes after defeating 0 monsters. The whole sequence with the plants where they couldn't roll over a 5 for like an hour straight was just absolutely brutal and gripping. I don't know why I love it so much, but I really do.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

It's funny you say that, because I tried watching that 3d6DTL Arden Vul series and the fact that I realized they were still talking about going up a staircase like an hour into the thing made me turn it off out of abject boredom lol

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It has its low points (any time they go back to town and spend forever milling about) but it really is great.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yeah the staircase bit was kinda rough because one of them had a laser focus on trying one specific thing, but hey, sometimes that happens in games. The pace goes up quite a bit after like episode 2 and they start doing actual exploring.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

OtspIII posted:

the first episode consists entirely of going half way up a staircase
This is precisely why I don't do "Okay, tell me exactly how you're disarming the imaginary mechanism of the imaginary trap."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
FWIW my SO ends up hearing whatever I'm listening to, snatches of books or podcasts or whatever, and 3d6DTL doing Dolemen Woods has ranked quite highly, surprisingly so. I know for me, personally, the first time they encountered a monster/combat told me the campaign would have exactly the tone I wanted, I hope I can run a similar game soon.

I also think it's notable that you don't have to go too far when playing a deadly rpg: the GM is never cruel and is even fairly permissive in what leeway he allows for inventive actions, he just rolls the dice in the open and, y'know, you might die. I know a lot of DMs in person who SAY you can die in their games, but then it suspiciously never once happens in a whole campaign.

I'll also say the GM has kind of a drab monotone when describing and narrating but then when he voices an NPC he comes alive. It may be a half hour or more in Dolemenwood before the first NPC opens his mouth and my interest in the stream jumped noticably then.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

This is precisely why I don't do "Okay, tell me exactly how you're disarming the imaginary mechanism of the imaginary trap."
This is the real reason why "Thief Skills" were invented.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
The Arden Vul campaign starts slow, especially since they abruptly jumped to it from a really good spot in the Dolmenwood run, but it picks up.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/01/arts/jennell-jaquays-dead.html?unlocked_article_code=1.SU0.VLFY.CdovUFTK6b3t&bgrp=c&smid=url-share

NYT obit for a TSR artist and designer whose name I didn't recognize but I know some of the art

gift article so it's got a bunch of cruft

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

To be more clear, it was a very tall staircase (I think they got something like 750' up by the session's end) and had a decent number of side-stops along the way--they met a ghost, almost fell off a ramp to their deaths, found a potential safe camp, learned about some nearby monster lairs, and discovered a secret that they're currently (where I am) using to make inroads with the movers and shakers of the nearby city.

Like, the exploration and the investigation is the game. I'm on episode 8 and they only just now actually went into the main dungeon, but everything they've done so far has felt like setup. There's been a lot of "they aren't ready to use this yet, but this feels like something that'll be fun and relevant later on". It's slow, but even the slow parts have been pretty interesting.

It also helps that I'm reading the module as they play--seeing the gap between module text and how stuff actually plays out is super interesting from a design perspective.

It reminds me a bit of The Apocalypse Players, a Call of Cthulhu actual play podcast that I've been listening to lately. If you just recap what happened in a 3-episode run it sounds really uneventful (three people have to land on a lighthouse island because the beacon went dark, they look around the lighthouse and find signs of violence, then some fish people show up and they run away), but it's all about the investigation, the slow unfold of information, and trying to think through what the consequences of what you're learning will end up being.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Empty Sandwich posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/01/arts/jennell-jaquays-dead.html?unlocked_article_code=1.SU0.VLFY.CdovUFTK6b3t&bgrp=c&smid=url-share

NYT obit for a TSR artist and designer whose name I didn't recognize but I know some of the art

gift article so it's got a bunch of cruft

Extremely influential in the entire RPG world, in addition to Judges guild, she did a lot of art for West End Star Wars, including the Mos Eisley and Cantina maps.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

alg posted:

Extremely influential in the entire RPG world, in addition to Judges guild, she did a lot of art for West End Star Wars, including the Mos Eisley and Cantina maps.

Also wrote some really great and complex character background tables in 3 books covering fantasy, sci-fi, and modern settings for Task Force Games. You basically have books of tables like Traveler chargen, they're really fun reading. The series is called Central Casting.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Has anyone ever tried "shifting" rolled stats?

Like you roll
9 STR
11 CON
8 DEX
13 INT
10 WIS
11 CHA

And you could shift it to

11 STR
9 CON
11 DEX
8 INT
13 WIS
10 CHA

or

13 STR
10 CON
11 DEX
9 INT
11 WIS
8 CHA

By pushing all the numbers down the row to the next stat and wrapping the last around?

IDK why you'd do this, it just occurred to me today as a possibility when I was making some backup characters for my EE game.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I like that as another possible solution to 3d6-down-the-line problems

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm getting mixed up between various RPG threads but someone somewhere posted this excellent talk by Josh Sawyer / rope kid where he does a deep dive on stats

it's nominally about Pillars of Eternity but he focuses enough on D&D that you don't even have to know PoE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvyrEhAMUPo

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Of all the things to see today, I didn't expect to see an OSR game referenced in a Jimquisition episode about Silent Hill.

CW the video deals with very poor handling of heavy subject matter of suicide in a video game.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 7, 2024

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Libertad! posted:

Of all the things to see today, I didn't expect to see an OSR game referenced in a Jimquisition episode about Silent Hill.

CW the video deals with very poor handling of heavy subject matter of suicide in a video game.

My buddy and I played that last week and it's not necessarily TG related, but it is worth noting that we wanted our money back from the free game before we even finished it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
EGG, Jr needs a heart transplant. if I understand his last post correctly his care team has reversed course and decided it's too dangerous to give him a pacemaker and told him he might have a year left

he's apparently booking games so now's the time to go hang with him or go to one of the Lake Geneva conventions