Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Kaddish posted:

How has V Rising progressed? Seemed like that one had a lot of potential. I sort of forgot about it.

I was wondering that myself and installed it the other day. On startup, you are met with a massive, mandatory agreement that says the devs can collect as much data as they want and do whatever with it. I uninstalled it. Bummer, I don't think that was there in EA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I am so hyped for Enshrouded that I've taken time off work to play it like a manchild. Sod's law guarantees it'll turn out to be total rear end so apologies to anyone who was looking forward to it.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

piano chimp posted:

I am so hyped for Enshrouded that I've taken time off work to play it like a manchild. Sod's law guarantees it'll turn out to be total rear end so apologies to anyone who was looking forward to it.

I just started my job, so no taking off for me yet, but man do I want to. The little taste of enshrouded we got for the demo left me wanting more so bad.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Umbreon posted:

I just started my job, so no taking off for me yet, but man do I want to. The little taste of enshrouded we got for the demo left me wanting more so bad.

Congrats on the new job man.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Qubee posted:

Congrats on the new job man.

Thanks. It sucks that I can't play enshrouded when it comes out, but I'd much rather have problem than not having a job.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Enshrouded looks real good, I haven't watched much media on it until last night. It looks like Valheim but......better in every way.

I somehow got Enshrouded and Avowed mixed up in my head.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm installing Enshrouded right now. I haven't seen any weather effects in the few minutes of videos I've watched; does it have weather cycles like Valheim? Guess I'll find out shortly!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Early mixed reviews but they all seem related to technical issues with multiplayer. I was going to play solo anyways but be advised if you're picking it up primarily to play with buds. I think I'll give it a spin, I'm extremely turned on by the digging/building system.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gonna wanna see how it runs on the deck before I pick it up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's probably wonky on the deck because you have to use proprietary amd driver for it to work right. i'm waiting until they smooth out the early early access bugs, but then i'm buying.

i kinda liked valheim but my main problem with it was the heightmap instead of voxel map and this seems to fix that lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Truga posted:

it's probably wonky on the deck because you have to use proprietary amd driver for it to work right. i'm waiting until they smooth out the early early access bugs, but then i'm buying.

i kinda liked valheim but my main problem with it was the heightmap instead of voxel map and this seems to fix that lol

Ah ok I’ll wait then.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
The negative reviews are balanced out by 0.5 hours positive meme reviews for farming ever-so-valuable Steam points.

I think I'm gonna sit this one out for a bit.

Also, Steam users are loving idiots and Valve are idiots for gameifying community participation.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

Mr Scumbag posted:

The negative reviews are balanced out by 0.5 hours positive meme reviews for farming ever-so-valuable Steam points.

I think I'm gonna sit this one out for a bit.

Also, Steam users are loving idiots and Valve are idiots for gameifying community participation.

I looked at a few negative reviews and they were all because of multiplayer stability/connection issues. The 8 hour demo last year was great, but wow they picked the worst possible time to launch this game.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Just set Enshrouded to install, and it's gonna be really fun contrasting it with Palworld. I expect much better combat and am hyped to blow holes in terrain with my bomb arrows. That high speed glider also looks fun.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
yeah, this is a bad week to launch into the treepuncher genre. but it was impossible to foresee, bad luck for them.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Bhodi posted:

yeah, this is a bad week to launch into the treepuncher genre. but it was impossible to foresee, bad luck for them.

Maybe not. People who have been playing a shitload of Palworld are probably just now feeling the weaknesses of the game (I definitely am, even though I'm sure they will be fixed over time) and might still be hungry for survival poo poo. But it's definitely not going to do what Palworld did.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I dropped Palworld for Enshrouded immediately. Palworld is great and I enjoyed the time I put into it, but I'm done janitoring my bases so my Pals don't get stuck in terrain or otherwise malfunction. I'll come back to it after it gets patched up.

Enshrouded for the 20 minutes I've played is really good on the surface. I have a dedicated server running and it seems fine. There is however a massive famedrop issue that will hopefully get patched shortly; my performance goes from 120-150fps to like 27fps seemingly random. It's not shadows, it's not terrain, it's not raytracing. I don't know what it is.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I only played for 10 ish minutes but it felt like it wasn't running great. Felt like frame drops or something. FPS was fine. This was offline with DLSS Quality and a good system. Vsync off.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Played Enshrouded for a couple of hours and I like it so far. The only framerate drops I've had have been in the map but none in the world. Combat is alright but can be wonky - the first time I equipped a bow it immediately locked on to a sheep and killed it in one shot without me doing anything lol. Also a couple of mobs would run right back to their spawn and heal to full unless I kited them far enough away. I've only built a little 6x6 shack but the building system seems cool.

It loses points for crashing frequently on Linux, though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

caedwalla posted:

I looked at a few negative reviews and they were all because of multiplayer stability/connection issues. The 8 hour demo last year was great, but wow they picked the worst possible time to launch this game.
I've seen a lot about bugs and terrible performance in singleplayer, too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

New Pacific Drive video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0kafC6acws

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

enshrouded has a lot of performance issues for me plus some other annoying bugs in SP. probably just gonna go back to the more polished Palworld experience and let this game sit in the oven a bit longer.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I'm definitely getting some frame chugging in Enshrouded and honestly while it looks good a lot of it just feels really clunky. melee combat that lets me swing in the same batter's box of space that doesnt hit anything above or below it, clunky rear end inventory, clunky crafting, clunky building, it's all just kinda clunky. I can't tell if it's because maybe it was primarily designed to be played on controller or not. I have 30-40 minutes left on my two hours, probably gonna try again for a bit and then sit on it for a week or two to see if anything changes before I return it.

It's sort of like... Wildmender is survival/crafting for 8-10 yos, and Enshrouded is survival/crafting for 12-14 yos, and the interfaces are designed accordingly. Meh.

edit: valheim does a similar thing with attacks but movement in Valheim is much better and the attacks have better swings so you can generally hit whatever you're trying to; also 2nd powerful attack. And while you can dig and all that stuff tbh I prefer the ease of building in Valheim

Double edit: oh, and harvesting feels clunky and lovely. Like half of the appeal of a crafting game is good harvesting feels and this one feels kinda crap, just fuckin mid as hell

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 25, 2024

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

idiotsavant posted:

Double edit: oh, and harvesting feels clunky and lovely. Like half of the appeal of a crafting game is good harvesting feels and this one feels kinda crap, just fuckin mid as hell

no idea if this was just for the hatchet you start with or all of them but whoever decided it would be a good idea for a gathering tool to make you step forward while using it is a loving moron. yeah i would love to constantly have to readjust my character while chopping down trees

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Yeah the attack animations are fine smacking level 1 enemies around but for smashing crates or harvesting, which seems to compromise a significant portion of the game, they're fuckin terrible

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Crafting in general feels very clunky to me as well.

Quite a few options but a chore to navigate and use.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I played a bit and it didn't seem nearly as clunky as people are saying (you don't move forward when harvesting if you use any tool) but it did crash after like 20 minutes, so not a great sign. Not sure if it even saved my progress, yet.
I like the look of the construction system and the recipes and items seem pretty nicely varied, but it obviously has a ton of growing pains.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not being able to craft using materials in chests seems ancient at this point.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m not having any chunkyness with frames, but I am finding the game clunky in various ways. I really like what it’s trying to do, but combat doesn’t feel super amazing, movement doesn’t feel super amazing, gathering is pretty weak.

Gathering excepted the others would be excusable but it doesn’t feel like it has a stand out “feel.” Building is great, I love the smaller scale voxels to build with and the way the textures/models connect up. I don’t know if that alone is going to carry me to play it 100 hours. I think it’s a better “base” than a lot many games and I’m interested to see where it goes. The current price point is fine, and I am definitely having fun with it, though I suspect it’ll be a “play for a ~week and put down.”

Definitely recommend if it’s your type of thing, but I don’t think it’s going to blow anyone’s socks off if you aren’t already predisposed. If you’re picky or a stickler for the game feel like combat, wait and hope they tighten it up. It’s all very serviceable but needs some work.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Vib Rib posted:

I played a bit and it didn't seem nearly as clunky as people are saying (you don't move forward when harvesting if you use any tool) but it did crash after like 20 minutes, so not a great sign. Not sure if it even saved my progress, yet.
I like the look of the construction system and the recipes and items seem pretty nicely varied, but it obviously has a ton of growing pains.

You can also use an axe (or pick I assume, but not the hatchet weapon) to bust open things and destroy things for resources more easily than with weapons.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah, apparently you can unlock this but putting QoL things like this behind progression sucks rear end, especially when it's basically the industry standard now.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Palworld just lets you craft from any chest in your base

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Palworld just lets you craft from any chest in your base

The game also just broke 8 million sales. Hopefully it brings more people into survival crafting world so they make more games with it in mind.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
Enjoying Enshrouded so far. The shared progression elements were off putting at first, but there's not much story to worry about and everything you need resets fairly quickly. I felt I had missed out on a bunch but I was able to catch up super quickly and the stuff I missed wasn't at all important. The presentation of this mechanic needs a lot of work, but I think it's fine.

I like the skill system and traversal options, though combat seems to be really easy at the lower levels. Crafting is fine, I don't really play survival crafting games with craft from storage so I don't mind it but it does seem like something that should be baseline.

Flame Altars might need some work. I don't think my friends really understood the system and with even less coordinated groups I could see this being an annoyance. All of our flame altars are on the starter plateau which isn't ideal.

I don't think this is ever going to replace Valheim, Conan Exiles, or 7 Days to Die for me, but I can definitely dump some time into it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Enshrouded seems neat. I put a couple hours in to it and can dig what it's going for.

Crafting is okay but it doesn't pull from boxes, which is a crime, to me. If you say I can only build within a certain radius, don't make me hunt through chests for my spare goblin asses!
Building is cool and flexible but is going to take a while to get used to on KBM.

I appreciate that your inventory is based on slots, not slots AND weight.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

One thing I’m finding to be a huge bummer, and maybe it’s just the starter area of the map, but is there no water features in the game? I always always always build my pretty little survival homes around a river or something.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Kaddish posted:

Crafting in general feels very clunky to me as well.

Quite a few options but a chore to navigate and use.

quoting this for almost every game ever lol

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

to be clear I haven't played the game in question, that statement just seemed like a near universal statement, thread title kind of thing if it were shorter

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Enshrouded is a good start at least. My group is going to power through what's currently on offer and then not touch it until maybe next year. Three of my five friends last night have asked if we can just play Valheim next.

Inzombiac posted:

Enshrouded seems neat. I put a couple hours in to it and can dig what it's going for.

Crafting is okay but it doesn't pull from boxes, which is a crime, to me. If you say I can only build within a certain radius, don't make me hunt through chests for my spare goblin asses!
Building is cool and flexible but is going to take a while to get used to on KBM.

I appreciate that your inventory is based on slots, not slots AND weight.

Craft from containers is unlocked later. It's expensive as balls because it requires a bunch of scrap metal, which is only found on humanoids, which are limited spawns.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh, well I'm happy about that, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Vasudus posted:

Enshrouded is a good start at least. My group is going to power through what's currently on offer and then not touch it until maybe next year. Three of my five friends last night have asked if we can just play Valheim next.

Craft from containers is unlocked later. It's expensive as balls because it requires a bunch of scrap metal, which is only found on humanoids, which are limited spawns.

So don’t even bother engaging with that whole mechanic beyond what is necessary until I get a bunch of scrap metal, got it.