Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I keep getting ads for Hazbin Hotel, and apparently it's a hot new thing on the internet that everyone loves. I don't understand why anyone would willingly look at anything done in this art style. It's over-designed deviantart poo poo that hurts to look at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I hate The Tonys, but, does anyone love The Tonys?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Professor Wayne posted:

I keep getting ads for Hazbin Hotel, and apparently it's a hot new thing on the internet that everyone loves. I don't understand why anyone would willingly look at anything done in this art style. It's over-designed deviantart poo poo that hurts to look at

The kids grow up on over-designed deviantart poo poo now. The new generation seems to really like things that are loud: Loud and fast dialogue, loud colours and quirky designs, and everything is clown poo poo but also existential horror for some reason.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

redshirt posted:

I hate The Tonys, but, does anyone love The Tonys?

Robbins, no. Bennett, yes. Danza, I'm ambivalent.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Jehde posted:

The kids grow up on over-designed deviantart poo poo now. The new generation seems to really like things that are loud: Loud and fast dialogue, loud colours and quirky designs, and everything is clown poo poo but also existential horror for some reason.

man it ain't even the kids it's people who are in their 30s. that's why the existential horror haha

Peak DA with the sparkledogs and Jhonen Vasquez-ripoffs was like '04-'11~ roughly and that was well over a decade ago. Even the youngest of people who engaged in that whole scene are well into the age where they have actual jobs and are working.

It's all old enough that it's hit the point where it's fashionable again in a retro way and the people who grew up on that style are in positions where they can pitch shows steeped in it and get them greenlit.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Professor Wayne posted:

I loving hate Hazbin but I have to give it credit that it's one of the rare modern examples of animation folks independently producing an entire animated pilot via crowdfunding and then managing to sell it along to studios.

But ugh, the music is so bad, it grates. It just feels so awkward. I love musicals, I love animation, it takes a lot for me to not like an animated musical but here we are.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the only animated show of any kind i've been able to get into in the last like decade or so is bob's burgers and i got pretty tired of that after a while too. never bothered with the movie

i did try the first episode of blue eye samurai tho that seemed cool. also scavengers rein seems to have a cool moebius/aeon flux kind of vibe to it, but i havent got that far into that one either.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Blue Eye Samurai is very cool, it's from France and they're considered second in the world in animation after Japan. The visuals have been very carefully crafted and it shows. It's a pleasure to look at.

Hazbin is the exact opposite - just a visual and audio assault. It's 'what if you made everyone in the cast like GIR from Invader Zim, turned to 11'

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I liked the hazbin hotel youtube pilot and wanted to watch more, but that was three years ago, and now I don't give a poo poo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Blue Eye Samurai is very cool, it's from France and they're considered second in the world in animation after Japan.

yeah their comic books are great too. i love going to french comic book shops because so many of the books are stories about real people in different periods in history instead of superhero stuff. unfortunately my french is kind of mediocre so i get like 60-70% or so of the text without stopping to constantly look poo poo up, but they are still good stories and the art is usually great

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Should I get into french comic books? I got like a 90% working french reading comprehension, and I never had an issue with the medium of comic books, but always hated superhero poo poo so disregard them on that basis. I loved Blue Eye Samurai.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Jehde posted:

Should I get into french comic books? I got like a 90% working french reading comprehension, and I never had an issue with the medium of comic books, but always hated superhero poo poo so disregard them on that basis. I loved Blue Eye Samurai.

You need to read some Moebius like immediately.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Incal is really good and one of those things you'll read and realize that everything since then has ripped it off

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jehde posted:

absolutely

but there are also a lot of good english language comic books that focus on non-fiction, history, slice of life stories, etc. and which have nothing to do with superheroes

check out maus or persepolis or joe sacco's work (palestine, safe area gorazde) if you are interested in history, or adrian tomine if you want some well told, down to earth stories about people's lives. or danny clowes for like weird suburbia

the difference with french comics is that stuff is mainstream, not an exception to the norm. comics about like the middle ages and ww2 or just weird dreamy stories or spy thrillers etc are as popular there as x-men et al are in the us

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 25, 2024

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I don't *hate* it, but I don't find The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy nearly as funny as other people apparently do.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe is funnier.

The rest of them are blah.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah, Japan and France both have cultures where reading comics is pretty normal, so they have a greater range of work available in a mainstream way. In the US, the only mainstream stuff is superhero stuff, tho I blame that more on our lovely comics distribution system (Diamond Comics Distrooooo :argh:). There are indie publishers in the US but it's really up to each individual comics book store which of those they stock, whereas all of them are definitely dealing with Diamond, so if your work is distro-ed by them you're in a much better spot to get put on a shelf in the stores. And Diamond focuses and heavily pushes cape books and rarely picks up the stuff outside of that.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 25, 2024

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Chrpno posted:

I'm dismayed that the Grammys are still a thing: back in the 90s they were a cheesy joke, a gong show dumping ground for hacks like Quincy Jones, Dave Sanborn, Luther Vandross etc etc, so out of touch that Jethro Tull beat out Metallica for best metal album. Even the Simpsons roasted them good, but it's still some measure of success?? help

I was in high school when Tull beat Metallica for best metal album. The next day all the metalheads at my school who only tuned in to the Grammys because there was suddenly a metal category were pissed.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Yeah, Japan and France both have cultures where reading comics is pretty normal, so they have a greater range of work available in a mainstream way. In the US, the only mainstream stuff is superhero stuff, tho I blame that more on our lovely comics distribution system (Diamond Comics Distrooooo :argh:). There are indie publishers in the US but it's really up to each individual comics book store which of those they stock, whereas all of them are definitely dealing with Diamond, so if your work is distro-ed by them you're in a much better spot to get put on a shelf in the stores. And Diamond focuses and heavily pushes cape books and rarely picks up the stuff outside of that.

Image stuff has been sold in every Barnes & Nobles for at least the last decade and there have been like multiple different big Hollywood adaptations of non-cape indie comics :confused:

Like I get Marvel and DC are still the big dogs in the room but it feels really outdated to say that 'all comics in the US are capes' when I don't even think that's been true since the 90s.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Hazbin is the exact opposite - just a visual and audio assault. It's 'what if you made everyone in the cast like GIR from Invader Zim, turned to 11'

Hazbin Hotel seems like sheltered theater kids finally move out and produce their own musical without being under the watchful eye of their overbearing parents

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Slotducks posted:

Hazbin Hotel seems like sheltered theater kids finally move out and produce their own musical without being under the watchful eye of their overbearing parents

Yeah, it's def not for me but I'm always stoked to see a passion project come together.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Image certainly goes in different directions than Marvel and DC but still arguably very cape-ish or adjacent, compared to the average books sitting on the shelves in a typical BD shop in France

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

ishikabibble posted:

Image stuff has been sold in every Barnes & Nobles for at least the last decade and there have been like multiple different big Hollywood adaptations of non-cape indie comics :confused:

Like I get Marvel and DC are still the big dogs in the room but it feels really outdated to say that 'all comics in the US are capes' when I don't even think that's been true since the 90s.

Image is still pretty cape-book adjacent, which is why it's no. 3 under Marvel and DC and is distro'ed by Diamond. Invincible, Savage Dragon, Witchblade, Youngblood, Wild C.A.T.S - these are all very superhero oriented comics. Rob Leifeld was one of their top artists.

Sure we're getting stuff like the Sweet Tooth show - that's great! But overall the indie comics industry in the US is largely zine fests and self-publishing. If you're very very lucky, you can get a publishing deal with a YA publishing house and make comics for what is currently the largest demographic for them in the US - tweens. And if you're very very very lucky, you can have a Bryan Lee O'Malley situation where you make a popular indie graphic novel situation that becomes a movie, a game, and a tv series - but that's so rare, it's the exception that proves the rule. Most people don't go from sitting alone at a MoCCAFest table waiting for someone to approach, to making content with Netflix.

That said, there WAS a hot minute in the 00s where cartoons were pulling indie comics talent from the various zine fests and it was fantastic - a lot of Adventure Time storyboard artists are from this space. And Lisa Hanawalt was someone I would have never expected to see controlling the look of a Netflix show, because her mini comic work is absolutely foul and grotesque, but someone saw beyond that to let her design for Bojack Horseman and god bless 'em.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 25, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the US has an annoying problem where something has to be merchandize-able or platform-able to be truly successful

Maus for example is an incredible use of the medium, and it was indeed popular and fairly successful for a book, and it was critically very well received outside of just the comic book world. but the idea of a Maus video game or toys would be completely inappropriate, nor could it be remotely turned into a tv/movie franchise. so it can only go so far, and a story like that can never compete with the superhero stuff because the latter is so much easier to merchandize.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Comic books are for children.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I only like the punisher, the violence goes so far over the top it becomes hilarious.

Also any media proliferating ACAB is a good thing.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It sure is proliferating something, but ACAB def ain't it:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jehde posted:

It sure is proliferating something, but ACAB def ain't it:

Pretty sure most people using that have never read the comic or probably even seen the movie. The scull's just an image they think looks cool I'm guessing.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Those are made by people that are dumber than whaleshit, it's not official

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

And Pepe was just a funny frog in a comic originally.

The Boys seems *fine* (I've seen like the first season and a bit I think?) but I'm seeing more "Superheroes but they're doing superhero satire except by playing it straight" stuff and holy poo poo I find that stuff so boring and almost never works as actual satire.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

dr_rat posted:

Pretty sure most people using that have never read the comic or probably even seen the movie. The scull's just an image they think looks cool I'm guessing.

I've never read the comic or seen the movie but I gather it's about a tough cop who is super strict about law enforcement. I guess "the punisher" is like a synecdoche for being a paragon of justice.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

credburn posted:

I've never read the comic or seen the movie but I gather it's about a tough cop who is super strict about law enforcement.

I think he's a vigilante who deals out the death penalty to all lawbreakers regardless of the nature of their infraction. I mean, that's what I gather, I also have never read the comic or seen the movie.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
he is a former cop who kills corrupt cops

the cops who use it think they're the good guys

they're not

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'll never get over the fact that the logo the cops rally behind is taking the american flag and beating it up until it's black&blue

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

credburn posted:

I've never read the comic or seen the movie but I gather it's about a tough cop who is super strict about law enforcement. I guess "the punisher" is like a synecdoche for being a paragon of justice.

Very, very far off.

The cops are responsible for his family's death (he was a Marine) and they're incompetent and corrupt so he learned that they are useless and that's why he became a vigilante. He kills cops.

The writers of The Punisher are also very aware of the skull bullshit and hate it and they've written a whole lot of that poo poo into the comics. They also changed the skull design because the chuds poisoned it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

And Pepe was just a funny frog in a comic originally.

Lol ok man

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Very, very far off.

The cops are responsible for his family's death (he was a Marine) and they're incompetent and corrupt so he learned that they are useless and that's why he became a vigilante. He kills cops.

The writers of The Punisher are also very aware of the skull bullshit and hate it and they've written a whole lot of that poo poo into the comics. They also changed the skull design because the chuds poisoned it.

I'd add that they've tried a lot of interpretations of the character acknowledging that the 70s revenge fantasy stuff has... connotations. He's been a Frankenstein, an angel, a samurai, straight-up comedy.

I do think he's now best relegated to supporting roles and stuff due to the poisoned well, though.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

credburn posted:

Lol

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Exploitation/revenge fantasy films (death wish, et al) were popular in the early 70s and the punisher is just that. Most of those movies had no nuance.

Death Wish is like one of my favorite movies though, me and my dad used to watch all of charles bronson movies whenever they were on tv and we'd keep a body count lol

Death Wish also has jeff goldblum playing an a lengthy but uncredited role as a rapist thug

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i only read one actual punisher comic book, which i borrowed from a friend and have no idea where it falls in the story, but basically it showed the punisher killing someone by stealthily pushing them in front of a subway. iirc there was no explanation of who he killed or why and i remember being taken aback that there was no like, actual fight scene or anything, let alone any dialogue explaining wtf was going on and it seemed like the guy was less of a superhero and more like a serial killer that wore a weird costume. but, obviously, i was missing a ton of context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Earwicker posted:

i only read one actual punisher comic book, which i borrowed from a friend and have no idea where it falls in the story, but basically it showed the punisher killing someone by stealthily pushing them in front of a subway. iirc there was no explanation of who he killed or why and i remember being taken aback that there was no like, actual fight scene or anything, let alone any dialogue explaining wtf was going on and it seemed like the guy was less of a superhero and more like a serial killer that wore a weird costume. but, obviously, i was missing a ton of context.

No, he's hosed up and much closer to a serial killer than a superhero. At least as originally conceived. I assume the dude he killed in the story you read was some kind of creep who got away with something horrible.