Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Bensa posted:

This sort of misses two points; nationalism or the government giving you an offer you can't refuse, both of which apply even more so in China.
I think you underestimate the difficulty of biochemical engineering if you think it can be conquered with love of country or fear of death, but maybe you can lay out some kind of plan for how that would have worked? Or some reasoning for why China would want to make a more fatal version of the flu?
Why didn't China just threaten to shoot their scientists until they got a more effective version of the vaccine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

i say swears online posted:

you're saying the government pays scientists in china better than the private sector? and that nationalism is stronger in china than other countries?

It doesn't need to pay better. Some roles have no public sector positions, and the existence of a truly public sector in China is a misnomer. Most uiversities wouldn't really exist if people could only be motivated by money. Then there's stuff like
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_Talents_Plan

Mainland chinese nationalism is extremely strong, with mandatory education even in universities. It can be a bit hard to recognise without living there.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think you underestimate the difficulty of biochemical engineering if you think it can be conquered with love of country or fear of death, but maybe you can lay out some kind of plan for how that would have worked? Or some reasoning for why China would want to make a more fatal version of the flu?
Why didn't China just threaten to shoot their scientists until they got a more effective version of the vaccine?

This is just an odd post. The most difficult projects are tackled by public investment.
All governments have at least had a quick look at weaponization, like in the 70s in the Aral.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bensa posted:

Mainland chinese nationalism is extremely strong, with mandatory education even in universities. It can be a bit hard to recognise without living there.

This is concerning. In the US, there's no mandate that I have to learn anything in university at all

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Bensa posted:

This is just an odd post. The most difficult projects are tackled by public investment.
All governments have at least had a quick look at weaponization, like in the 70s in the Aral.
Do you think China could have somehow engineered the virus? Can you lay out how or why that would have happened? Is China using "public investment" to engineer viruses and able to create tools that they have not released to Big Pharma? Or do have have threatened or nationalist scientists working in secret?

My main argument here is that its extremely unrealistic to think China engineered COVID. You're trying to poke holes in that argument and the only consistency seems to be "China scary".

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Do you think China could have somehow engineered the virus? Can you lay out how or why that would have happened? Is China using "public investment" to engineer viruses and able to create tools that they have not released to Big Pharma? Or do have have threatened or nationalist scientists working in secret?

My main argument here is that its extremely unrealistic to think China engineered COVID. You're trying to poke holes in that argument and the only consistency seems to be "China scary".

You made the point that governments are unable to retain the best talent from leaving to the private sector. Which is objectively false, hence national labs and universities. This applies to a wide spectrum of fields.

This is even more false for China where government jobs are the most coveted over the private sector, especially in the recent employment climate. They provide much better working conditions, stability, and benefits, as exemplified by the Thousand Talents program.

Additionally, the idea that the government couldn't requisition labour from the private sector, if it wanted to, is laughable to anyone who has lived or worked in China. Government oversight reaches into every facet of a company, there are no secrets.

The above, and the fact that governments do run bio-weapon programs and have had leaks, was all that is claimed. Motive was not brought up.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Bensa posted:

You made the point that governments are unable to retain the best talent from leaving to the private sector. Which is objectively false, hence national labs and universities. This applies to a wide spectrum of fields.
In biotech its definitely true. That's the hottest field on the planet and its been that way for a while. If you want to work on pure research like high energy physics, LLNL might be the best (although Commonwealth Fusion is probably pretty good now too). If Governments had the best biotech folks, why did all the vaccines come out of Big Pharma? Why wasn't China's vaccine better, if they're virus experts?

You are alluding to a vague conspiracy where the Chinese government has super scientists, either fanatics or slaves, working in complete secrecy and leaving no proof, except for accidentally releasing the virus in their own city. This is the same type of paranoid thinking that convinced folks Iraq had WMDs.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

"was the virus engineered" is a separate question to "was the leak malicious". might not even matter

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

StumblyWumbly posted:

In biotech its definitely true. That's the hottest field on the planet and its been that way for a while.
I pointed out multiple reasons why people would forgo positions in the commercial sector. They still apply.

quote:

If you want to work on pure research like high energy physics, LLNL might be the best (although Commonwealth Fusion is probably pretty good now too).
The NIF and Commonwealth are not real contenders in the race for practical fusion, not sure why you would mention them. Just bring up the NIF or NIST for basic research if you must.

quote:

If Governments had the best biotech folks, why did all the vaccines come out of Big Pharma? Why wasn't China's vaccine better, if they're virus experts?
Who claimed they're vaccine experts or were geared towards that? This is about whether or not state actors can retain talent, especially in societies dissimilar to the US. That is why I brought up differences in public and private sector jobs, the Thousand Talents program etc.

quote:

You are alluding to a vague conspiracy where the Chinese government has super scientists, either fanatics or slaves, working in complete secrecy and leaving no proof, except for accidentally releasing the virus in their own city. This is the same type of paranoid thinking that convinced folks Iraq had WMDs.
I never alluded to anything. Bringing up and going against your silly point about how only the mighty commercial sector is able to retain talent, which you later specified to apply only to a single field, is not conspiracy mongering. You made a grossly simplistic statement, its going to get flak.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
cool, could you drop it now

let's get some more images up in here!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Historians don't look at poo poo, they read poo poo

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Koburn posted:

cool, could you drop it now

let's get some more images up in here!

Even when they want him to look menacing they only manage to make Biden look like your grandpa smiling because he’s proud you graduated high school

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MY COFFEE MASHEEN IS CARBITCH HA HA HA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/emilyasullivan/status/1749463245872578858

https://twitter.com/BerniceKing/status/1748887442038431863

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

This VCR machine .. Panasonic, not so good mechanics, very bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/the_binp/status/1749630237384614323

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
https://twitter.com/AlexThomp/status/1750161713406591153

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Clean, safe, too cheap to meter

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I feel threatened.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Welcome to Costco, I love you.

Welcome to Costco, I love you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No I don't even want to know how, I want to keep the mystery

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

zoux posted:

I'm guessing it's because many poor people are known to have vast investments in bank shares in their share portfolios -like most normal people- which would be worth less without being able to charge overdraft fees.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My guess is that overdraft fees keep the brutish masses from irresponsibly living beyond their means

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So the real answer is that by providing the poor families with extra money at the low, low cost of an overdraft fee, bankers are selflessly helping the most vulnerable members of society to keep the lights on.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I have a wapo sub. Basically small accounts won't be as profitable so they'd be incentivized to drop the account instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That has a real "harsh penalties are the only thing that stops them stealing food, and if we didn't stop that they would eat all the food, being irresponsible and with no thought for the future, and then we would all starve" vibe to it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
As a traditionalist I propose we bring back the tradition of regular cheese riots and throwing wheels of cheese at mayors.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

As long as it is Genuine American Cheese Products and not actual cheese. Make it sting.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

zoux posted:

This woman is one of the dumbest human beings I've ever had the misfortune of reading. I have no idea why WAPO keeps publishing her articles.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Idiocy drives engagement

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Mustang posted:

This woman is one of the dumbest human beings I've ever had the misfortune of reading. I have no idea why WAPO keeps publishing her articles.

you ever see that standup skit where the guy talks about dialogue between Dentists and Tootheologists

megan is wapo's go-to gal for keeping the dialogue open with Tootheology

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRqB5-egs1s

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mustang posted:

a rage click is still a click

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
This is what praxis looks like.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seems like there'd be a perverse incentive to govern poorly and receive free cheese

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

Seems like there'd be a perverse incentive to govern poorly and receive free cheese

Andrew Jackson did set off his own little bit of cheese rowdiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

They made Carter sell his cheese farm