Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

HawkHill posted:

We take 400 degree pans with oil that's run down the side and greased the bottom, and toss them on the counter; no problem. That's way hotter than any vehicle is going to get sitting in the sun, but it doesn't mar the finish.

Some spills lemon juice or vinegar on the counter, so what? Wipe it up hours later and it's fine.

1. Your pots and pans don't sit outside in the weather all year long, and they get washed presumably at least once a day, or right after they are dirtied. Maybe you don't get corrosion from salted pasta water in your situation, but try leaving the unwashed pot out in your driveway for six months and see what happens.

2. Your pots and pans are not expected to have an automotive-level finish. What looks "nice and shiny" on industrial kitchen equipment will look like poo poo on a car body, let alone one that's all flat panels like the cyberfuck. Even if there's no corrosion, a small amount of inconsistency in the tone of the metal or the microstructure of the finish (brushing/blasting/whatever they're using) will still make the car look blotchy and permanently dirty.

A better example of what this thing is going to look like after a few years might be a stainless steel grill that lives on the deck (without a cover).

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

HawkHill posted:

A vehicle that needs to be reamed, steamed, and dry cleaned after every time it hits a mud puddle doesn't sound like my understanding of a truck.

THIS IS WHY FORD IS making GBS threads THEMSELVES AT THE TRUCK THAT IS SO MUCH SUPERIOR TO THE F150.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ford is quite capable of making GBS threads themselves without any help.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The kitchen analogy is dumb. Bugs and other crud will also destroy or mightily damage a traditional paint job with clear coat.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s a nonzero chance that Musk’s decision to sell a car with bare metal bodywork was motivated by his feud with the State of California over the emissions from the paint shop at his Fremont factory.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 25, 2024

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

wesleywillis posted:

THIS IS WHY FORD IS making GBS threads THEMSELVES AT THE TRUCK THAT IS SO MUCH SUPERIOR TO THE F150.

Ford doesn't give a gently caress though? Rivian is much more of a danger then Tesla to them electric wise.

Dodge might be a ared of Tesla, but dodge basically doesn't exist outside the Dodge ram at this point especially when the charger and Challenger lines get shut down this year.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

There’s a nonzero chance that Musk’s decision to sell a car with bare metal bodywork was motivated by his feud with theState of California over the emissions from the paint shop at his Fremont factory.

Naw. More a almost 100% chance that it's due to all the very legitimate complaints of them sucking absolute poo poo at paint during the model three buildup that I think still is an issue. Don't forget that paint tents outside. Or the paint thickness that was thinner then a 1930s car. Musk would 100% think that there would be no issue not painting them because stainless doesn't rust. Wonder if the unibody frame even has a coating on it at all.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Gonna fill my Cyrbtr<k with RFNA to season it.

RFNA could be used to passivate stainless steel, as long as you limit exposure time, however, citric and regular nitric acids are more effective and significantly less hazardous.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no, his decision to sell a car with bare metal was

70% first year engineer "stainless steel is the best, make everything out of stainless steel, i don't need to know about any other materials"

10% "if we make it out of stainless steel, no more paint! saves money bing bang boom"

20% "lol back to the future delorean le meme flux capacitor lololo"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Every masterpiece has its cheap copy.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Ford doesn't give a gently caress though? Rivian is much more of a danger then Tesla to them electric wise.

Dodge might be a ared of Tesla, but dodge basically doesn't exist outside the Dodge ram at this point especially when the charger and Challenger lines get shut down this year.

But Elon said that it was going to be way better than the f150 in a tweet, and that the other manufacturers were making GBS threads themselves because those big hammer marks were actually from bullets and the cybercuck was bullet proof.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sagebrush posted:

no, his decision to sell a car with bare metal was

70% first year engineer "stainless steel is the best, make everything out of stainless steel, i don't need to know about any other materials"

10% "if we make it out of stainless steel, no more paint! saves money bing bang boom"

20% "lol back to the future delorean le meme flux capacitor lololo"

Any money saved on not painting it was lost in, you know, using stainless steel and then deciding that it needed to be bulletproof to rounds that no one uses (and arrows!), so know it's like 1/8" thick and weighs 10K pounds...

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Darchangel posted:

Any money saved on not painting it was lost in, you know, using stainless steel and then deciding that it needed to be bulletproof to rounds that no one uses (and arrows!), so know it's like 1/8" thick and weighs 10K pounds...

Is it actually confirmed bullet proof against anything? All I've seen is vague claims and extremely suspicious photos.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Yeah man I threw some bullets at one as hard as I could and they just bounced off.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Please no one tell the Tesla bros about how if you use regular steel brush or wool on stainless it can make it rust, in the worst most blotchy ugly way possible

I need to see them find out the hard way

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

kastein posted:

Please no one tell the Tesla bros about how if you use regular steel brush or wool on stainless it can make it rust, in the worst most blotchy ugly way possible

I need to see them find out the hard way

Why would you use those things on a car in the first place?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cojawfee posted:

Because it looks like, and kind of is, a big lump of steel. If someone manages to actually use theirs as a tool and spills some paint or whatever on it, I can easily imagine thinking "they're thick steel plates, I'll just wire brush it off".

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cojawfee posted:

I've already seen multiple people suggesting that you should refresh your stainless bodywork by scrubbing it with steel wool. :lmao:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is it actually confirmed bullet proof against anything? All I've seen is vague claims and extremely suspicious photos.

Some pics were posted with dents that were supposedly from bullets but they were all suspiciously too similar and there was no lead or copper residue anywhere to be found. Something that would be found if you were shooting actual bullets at a piece of metal.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Some pics were posted with dents that were supposedly from bullets but they were all suspiciously too similar and there was no lead or copper residue anywhere to be found. Something that would be found if you were shooting actual bullets at a piece of metal.

Well we do know it's arrow-proof, thanks to Joe Rogan.
edit: because that's definitely a thing you need in today's world.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Well we do know it's arrow-proof, thanks to Joe Rogan.
edit: because that's definitely a thing you need in today's world.

Obviously it is if you're trying to contact those very isolationist tribes that shoot at intruders. You know, areas well known for robust charging infrastructure.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's intended to show that it's durable in an evocative way, and it's worked because here we are talking about it

it's no different than when they cut a can in half with a ginsu knife, because you totally use your kitchen knives to cut cans in half

e. like it's stupid, of course it is, but it's not that different from something people have been doing in product marketing forever: a stunt to demonstrate how durable/strong/sharp/fast/whatever it is in a memorable way

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 25, 2024

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

kastein posted:

I've already seen multiple people suggesting that you should refresh your stainless bodywork by scrubbing it with steel wool. :lmao:

Memory might be hazy, but IIRC reading about it at the time that was the Delorean method. Different alloys, etc.

Of course I'm probably wrong. Not implying it was normal to give it a once over with a SOS pad.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Arrath posted:

Obviously it is if you're trying to contact those very isolationist tribes that shoot at intruders. You know, areas well known for robust charging infrastructure.

Since it can be used as a boat for a short period of time, it would make a good landing craft for anyone visiting the Sentinel Islands

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

it's intended to show that it's durable in an evocative way, and it's worked because here we are talking about it

it's no different than when they cut a can in half with a ginsu knife, because you totally use your kitchen knives to cut cans in half

e. like it's stupid, of course it is, but it's not that different from something people have been doing in product marketing forever: a stunt to demonstrate how durable/strong/sharp/fast/whatever it is in a memorable way

Well, yes, but the Ginsu thing is just using the tool in a way you normally would, but in the most extreme version, if you follow. I mean, "it's a cutting utensil - here's it cutting things tougher than anything you will ever need to cut!" And part of the Ginsu thing was that it could cut that unreasonable object, and then still be sharp enough to use normally.
The Cybertruck being bulletproof is just flat out stupid, and conveys nothing about how it performs in a way anyone needs. The supposed bullets dented it, so it still dents...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Well, yes, but the Ginsu thing is just using the tool in a way you normally would, but in the most extreme version, if you follow. I mean, "it's a cutting utensil - here's it cutting things tougher than anything you will ever need to cut!" And part of the Ginsu thing was that it could cut that unreasonable object, and then still be sharp enough to use normally.
The Cybertruck being bulletproof is just flat out stupid, and conveys nothing about how it performs in a way anyone needs. The supposed bullets dented it, so it still dents...

sure, it's just the fact they shot an arrow at it isn't the funny part
it's that it failed is funny

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Maybe Saturn started this arms race when they bragged about how their cars were shopping-cart-proof.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elviscat posted:

RFNA could be used to passivate stainless steel, as long as you limit exposure time, however, citric and regular nitric acids are more effective and significantly less hazardous.

By season I mean corrode.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

Memory might be hazy, but IIRC reading about it at the time that was the Delorean method. Different alloys, etc.

Of course I'm probably wrong. Not implying it was normal to give it a once over with a SOS pad.

*Stainless* steel wool sure, but if you use regular steel wool you are going to be very sad after the first few rainstorms because it will embed tiny fragments of steel in the stainless surface and make your cybertruck look like it has rust acne.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Elon Musk is a crackhead who uses Chore Boy copper wool.

e: My lawyers have advised me to say that while, according to Fortune

quote:

Elon Musk's history with drugs—from marijuana to ketamine—has been widely documented, and this month has brought new reports suggesting his use of mind-altering substances is more evasive than previously known.

the suggestion that he is a crackhead, specifically, and that he would use copper wool to hold crack rocks in the process of smoking him, those are jokes not intended to be entertained as serious accusations by the audience of the Something Awful comedy fora.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 27, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I, Something Awful Dotcom, once personally witnessed Elon Musk grinding up Phenazepam and sticking it under his eyelids. This is a true statement of fact.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The kids are calling it "eyeballing"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://packaged-media.redd.it/q7pt...dbf95a30131#t=0

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I don't know if the Buick version is better or worse:

At least pull buttons are in a line with the button row, but it's less obvious which buttons are pull or push

Drove a rental with this for a week. It wasn't bad, but a lever is better.

Weirdly the best poo poo lever for a large automatic vehicle is in the Dodge Grand Caravan

If your hands are at 3 and 9 it sits right under the fingertips in drive and dropping it a gear is a simple double-tap that you can do without even taking your hands off the steering wheel.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 27, 2024

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I’m wondering if they’ve done some human factors analysis on the button shifters. Like, we went to the pull style window switches for child-safety reasons. But having these buttons accessible right in the middle of the car doesn’t seem wise. I’m hoping they require the brake pedal to be pressed before they work.

Why do they have to reinvent their interfaces with every new car?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

0toShifty posted:

I’m wondering if they’ve done some human factors analysis on the button shifters. Like, we went to the pull style window switches for child-safety reasons. But having these buttons accessible right in the middle of the car doesn’t seem wise. I’m hoping they require the brake pedal to be pressed before they work.

Why do they have to reinvent their interfaces with every new car?

Automatic transmissions requiring a brake interlock to shift from Park has been Federal law since 2006, though the compliance date was 2010. At least some GM products had this since the early 1990s.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

column shifter supremacy

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wallaka posted:

Automatic transmissions requiring a brake interlock to shift from Park has been Federal law since 2006, though the compliance date was 2010. At least some GM products had this since the early 1990s.
My '93 Crown Vic had this. I'm pretty sure my friend's '86 LeBaron did. Was it really not legally required until the 2000s!?!?!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pushbutton automatics were a solved issue sixty-five years ago. I do not understand why it's such a complex thing for the OEs nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Probably a liability standpoint vs implementation.

Imagine some 16-year-old that claims they were pushing buttons to turn on the wipers during a storm...and well the drat thing went into park causing a skid and 10 puppies get thrown out into downed powerlines.