Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

all I think is, it's really funny that the tweets everyone have been pointing at about how they clearly directly stole assets are confirmed to be fake and the guy that made them has apologized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate

ImpAtom posted:

People desperately trying to go "N-no, Palworld is 100% original do not steal" are being dumb and it is fine to call them dumb. Nobody is going to take your game away if you admit you're playing with Fakeachu instead of their weird desperate attempt to pretend the game isn't doing exactly what it bills itself as doing and which everyone not invested in some dumb internet war recognizes it as doing. (Which is knocking off Pokemon.)

Has anyone done this? Everyone I know playing the game is still calling their balls pokeballs and saying things like "Depresso is my new favorite pokemon" lol. I haven't seen anyone actually deny that they're knocking off pokemon, just denying that they're "stealing" anything or engaging in copyright infringement.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

ImpAtom posted:

Who cares?

People desperately trying to go "N-no, Palworld is 100% original do not steal" are being dumb and it is fine to call them dumb. Nobody is going to take your game away if you admit you're playing with Fakeachu instead of their weird desperate attempt to pretend the game isn't doing exactly what it bills itself as doing and which everyone not invested in some dumb internet war recognizes it as doing. (Which is knocking off Pokemon.)

The person I was responding to was claiming it was just an art style.

You mad?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

all I think is, it's really funny that the tweets everyone have been pointing at about how they clearly directly stole assets are confirmed to be fake and the guy that made them has apologized

Can you confirm this? I saw someone post it elsewhere but it was just the guy going "I resized the assets in blender because they were different scales, but when I scaled them down they were similar" not "It's all fake."

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Speaking of where the gently caress is Ultra Kaiju Monster Rancher on PC

Bamco more like BUMco.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I said come in! posted:

At the end of the day Pokemon Co. doesn't seem to care.

There's no fair use law in Japan. If and when there's a case to be made the Pokemon Co will sue, until then people should just enjoy the game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
If you cite a specific person making a specific claim it would be a lot easier to defend their claim or agree with you that their claim is dumb.

Infinitum posted:

There's no fair use law in Japan. If and when there's a case to be made the Pokemon Co will sue, until then people should just enjoy the game.

Japan doesn't have a broad specifically identified fair use doctrine as official policy, but they do have fair use in practice made up of explicit carveouts to their copyright law - that's practically required for any copyright system to function effectively. These exceptions ARE significantly more limited and easier to run afoul of than countries with broader fair use doctrines though.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 25, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

If you cite a specific person making a specific claim it would be a lot easier to defend their claim or agree with you that their claim is dumb.

Japan doesn't have a broad specifically identified fair use doctrine as official policy, but they do have fair use in practice made up of explicit carveouts to their copyright law - that's practically required for any copyright system to function effectively.

Volte posted:

The thing that Pocket Pair blatantly copied from Pokemon is the visual style (the thing that lets you look at something you've never seen before and go "that's a Pokemon"), not the Pokemon themselves, and visual style explicitly (and mercifully) can't be copyrighted. If you are going to argue that coming up with new creatures that unambiguously read as Pokemon is an inherently creatively bankrupt endeavour, then what is each new generation of Pokemon but a bunch of Pals created by people on the correct payroll? What good is protecting the creative integrity of a visual style that, by that logic, inherently has no creative value?

I mean you can argue that it's artistically dishonest or being a bad industry citizen to shamelessly piggyback on the broad, uncopyrightable aspects of another company's IP for your own benefit, but I think calling it lazy or uncreative is missing the mark. It's effortful and creative in a very specific way, to evoke a specific response and recognition of something ubiquitous. And since Pokemon is by far the most successful media franchise of all time, I don't think it needs to be defended. There's all this "Mickey should be in the public domain" discourse lately but where's the "Pikachu should be in the public domain" discourse? If first gen Pokemon was in the public domain and Palworld literally just featured public domain Pokemon, I don't think anyone would be calling it creatively bankrupt even though it would objectively have less creativity put into it than Palworld's Pokemon-esque designs.

I literally responded to it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ImpAtom posted:

I literally responded to it.
Which Pokemon did they directly steal and put into Palworld?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yeah, I totally buying that

quote:

People desperately trying to go "N-no, Palworld is 100% original do not steal"
is an accurate summary of someone who literally leads off by saying stuff they think "Pocket Pair blatantly copied from Pokemon".

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

they're really good. my new favorite and the one i've been breeding up for Good Stats is Ragnahawk which is also just an excellent name

I had just gone all in on my boss Beakon, poured a bunch of the energy orbs into em, caught 20 other Beakons to merge, this is My Bird, storm crew bolting in to accidentally knock out everything I meant to catch. The perfect yella bird.

Then I flew over to the volcano area first time and saw a Ragnahawk and had to do that thing where you convince yourself that you made the right choice when deep down you know you already changed your mind.

There's probably an even cooler bird somewhere too.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

ImpAtom posted:

Who cares?

The person I was responding to was claiming it was just an art style.

You're fighting a strawman. The acknowledgement is implied and not worth getting worked up about in defense or against.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah, I totally buying that

is an accurate summary of someone who literally leads off by saying "Pocket Pair blatantly copied from Pokemon".

"is the visual style" is the key there.

Volte posted:

Which Pokemon did they directly steal and put into Palworld?

Are you for serious right now? Unless you're going "Barbie has a different hat, that's different" there are plenty of "this is clearly supposed to be a knockoff of this Pokemon" types. They are not 1-for-1 but they're also much closer than just "similar art style"

Like Robinquill is clearly knockoff Decidueye, Anubis is clearly Lucario in an Egyptian cosplay, Jetragon is Latias/Laitos + whatever the jet dragon from the new game was called, Verdash is "Grass-Type Cinderace". Astegon is Aggron with wings attached, etc.

Attack on Princess posted:

You're fighting a strawman. The acknowledgement is implied and not worth getting worked up about in defense or against.

Again, juuuust responded to someone.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Okay, if you found an actual guy who believes it's all 100% original then fair enough. I'm just skimming these posts cause the discourse is obnoxious and I thought I'd help you out of it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pokemon is just a ripoff of syncretic önmyodo

the descendants of Abe no Seimei should sue them into the ground

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
I think at this point, there's no getting the genie back in the bottle, and if Nintendo had any ground to stand on it would have already taken it down.

My question, is there any way they can actually stop them from releasing the game on the Switch? If they could do that, this game will literally print money from children. If Nintendo cooperates, they can at least get their cut via some kind of marketplace.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
nobody here is doing any of that op stop using this thread to argue against people on twitter, or people that you made up in your head

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/candacerthomas/status/1746935209918861348

I have had this EXACT conversation, separately, so many times with different people I've worked with, heh. I imagine it's not an unusual conversation in a lot of industries, though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's nothing wrong with knocking off Pokemon designs. There's more wrong with not being allowed to just use Pikachu.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

just a kazoo posted:

I think at this point, there's no getting the genie back in the bottle, and if Nintendo had any ground to stand on it would have already taken it down.

My question, is there any way they can actually stop them from releasing the game on the Switch? If they could do that, this game will literally print money from children. If Nintendo cooperates, they can at least get their cut via some kind of marketplace.

I doubt it could run on the Switch. I have to fiddle with it a ton to make it work on the Steam Deck.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

nobody here is doing any of that op stop using this thread to argue against people on twitter, or people that you made up in your head

So am I just hallucinating the dude I'm responding to?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Yes.

You're hallucinating me too, if that helps.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Yes.

You're hallucinating me too, if that helps.

Oh.

poo poo.

I guess this means I'm becoming a Yakuza protagonist. Time to go beat up some homeless people with baseball bats so I can enslave them and force them to work on my remote desert isl- waaaaait a second.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImpAtom posted:

So am I just hallucinating the dude I'm responding to?

nobody is saying this game is not derivative of pokemon in this thread because it obviously is. this isnt some kind of inherently bad thing. the only person involved in dumb internet wars is you, and not the people who are simply playing the game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
frankly my brave take is that the game should be taken down for enabling some of the worst discourse ive seen in months

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I simply wont search for palworld posts on twitter. I accidentally saw some posts under a Pokemon DLC tweet and instantly regretted it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

frankly my brave take is that the game should be taken down for enabling some of the worst discourse ive seen in months

it's starting to reach wizard game levels at this point

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How can people possibly be mad at such a dumb concept that's going to be a dead game in a month.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm hoping someone digs up Robopon and tries to craft automate it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hatty posted:

I simply wont search for palworld posts on twitter. I accidentally saw some posts under a Pokemon DLC tweet and instantly regretted it

i read some interview with one of the devs and it seems like this entire game is basically just a big rear end pokemon fangame lol.

i have no idea how people culture war-red it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

still better than soulsbornes

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Are Kazuya and Heihachi yakuza?

Follow up. Could they take the Yakuza guys?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

How can people possibly be mad at such a dumb concept that's going to be a dead game in a month.

I'm not mad at it! I am literally playing it! I like my stupid palmon! It's a fun game even if it dies in a month. If I was upset at thinly veiled knockoffs I wouldn't be hype for Not Suikoden Really coming in April.

Heihachi beats up Yakuza guys for not being hardcore enough, but those are regular Yakuza guys and not cool Yakuza guys.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

mutata posted:

https://twitter.com/candacerthomas/status/1746935209918861348

I have had this EXACT conversation, separately, so many times with different people I've worked with, heh. I imagine it's not an unusual conversation in a lot of industries, though.

I also wish I lived in a utopia

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Hm. Kazuya can fly around and shoot lasers from his eyes so... more info needed: are there bikes to grab near by?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Heihachi is extremely powerful.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

Hm. Kazuya can fly around and shoot lasers from his eyes so... more info needed: are there bikes to grab near by?

They're in a temple with weak walls, and there's a motorcycle.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Kiryu can kick Heihachi's rear end

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Heihachi is extremely powerful.

he's even more powerful now that he's an 18 year old girl voiced by the VA who did nobara in jujutsu kaisen

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

I doubt it will die. It's flavor of the month for sure but survival games have staying power no matter how dogshit they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

kazuya better hope there isn't a bike rack nearby