Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

fire a bunch of ppl and counteract lower ongoing revenues with lower ongoing costs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Slow News Day posted:

Sorry Doomsday Econ thread, your recession is in another castle.

Hopefully they're wrong, but some macro-economists like andreas steno larsen are very confident that inflation is gonna start rising again, probably around may or june, in large part due to the sharp increase of shipping container costs resulting from all the rerouting past the cape, and the longer that goes on, the higher the likelyhood

Of course everyone is just trying to read tea leaves as best they can, but if they're right, a recession seems kind of inevitable

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bohemian Nights posted:

but if they're right, a recession seems kind of inevitable

Been hearing this for years now, so please stop teasing me with a good time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bohemian Nights posted:

Hopefully they're wrong, but some macro-economists like andreas steno larsen are very confident that inflation is gonna start rising again, probably around may or june, in large part due to the sharp increase of shipping container costs resulting from all the rerouting past the cape, and the longer that goes on, the higher the likelyhood

Of course everyone is just trying to read tea leaves as best they can, but if they're right, a recession seems kind of inevitable

They are right.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Slow News Day posted:

https://twitter.com/MortensenBach/status/1750511586475655676

Sorry Doomsday Econ thread, your recession is in another castle.

how are you so bad at understanding economy

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
idk but even without just increased shipping costs per container, a 40% increase on shipping time directly translates to a 40% reduction in shipping capacity for the companies that choose to reroute, which means a whole lot of stuff that should have been either made or sold is now just sitting on boats, and the cost of all that is going to affect the entire supply chain and must surely be insanely expensive?

I read that both Tesla and Volvo were already halting production as of two weeks ago, and I'm going to just guess that they're not the only ones

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Inflation boosts GDP (potentially substantially) over the short term, so you still won't necessarily see NBER declaring a technical recession if high inflation returns. The reason people like Stancil or Wolfers are so clearly shills is that try to pretend that you can make predictions using metrics that definitionally can only describe current conditions, at least as far as an officially declared recession is concerned.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just In Time supply chains resilient like always

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
it's just not time, yet

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Just Wait Til We Get Home Supply Chain

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

thechosenone posted:

This also seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul in that they were presumably expecting those children to take jobs when they were adults anyways.

So it's not that they suddenly have the ability to levy every teenager all of a sudden, it's that they can send people to work a couple years early, likely conflicting with the education grift as well as the issues I'm sure others have covered already.

Neoliberalism has been about boosting profit by robbing workers. The combination of a periphery that can fight back and the poltical victories of the nativist political faction is accelerating the process of exploitable labor shortage for the empire. The modern latinfundias still need to churn through labor like tissue paper which means turning to the domestic source of labor young and old. This only becomes more rational in the face of a collapsing educational system and Chinese machine tool production overtaking American machine tool production in both quality and quantity.

Because the path to improving the means of production is unthinkable for the neoliberal political economy, this points them to more intensive exploitation of labor. This of course is also why there has been so much sentiment practically expressing anxiety over population numbers either directly or in projected criticism of China. The horizons of the neoliberal political economy begins at the theft or labor and ends in the theft of labor.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

costco pays for itself, especially if you get the credit card they advertise to all members which gets you 5% back on stuff you buy at costco
the $1.50 hotdog+soda is kitsch americana and also tasty

again, not the words of a poor person quoted here.

$250 monthly food budget
x

$12.50 cash back a month, or two weeks worth of groceries a year.

i am harry has issued a correction as of 19:48 on Jan 25, 2024

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

That freak is a legit neoliberal

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Paradoxish posted:

Please explain where on the graph means what things. I believe your point, but I just wanna see it typed out for the benefit of these uneducated poors.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

It's "Real" GDP which means it counts inflation but inflation is bullshit juiced number and so is GDP so multiplying them just makes an even dumber number

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Corporations are smarter than everyone else.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Nonsense posted:

Corporations are smarter than everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vudnMLzZjTg

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gearhead posted:

The main problem with Blizzard titles is that people will hungrily belly up to the trough expecting the Blizzard in their memory to produce the kind of game they remember, they fork over premium prices for the Blizzard Experience, and then they get poo poo on. I keep hoping that the next game will be the one that finally breaks the market, and I continue to be disappointed.

diablo players dropped the game quickly, killing the expected battlepass and mtx tail of the game.
diablo may in fact be seen as a failure internally despite high upfront sales.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

my brother's a big Diablo guy and he said the new one is basically pay to win which is why it got dropped so quick. I can't imagine what Blizzard's projections for ongoing revenue were.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

suicide squad will have more active players than diablo

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Paradoxish posted:

Stop sending me this graph

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Bohemian Nights posted:

Look at how much damage the ever given did to the global economy and remember it was only blocking suez canal traffic for a week

The houthis have the canal down to the same traffic levels and they've stayed steady that way for a month

There is a cataclysm brewing on the economic horizon

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Big lol recently was when bg3 dropped it was content rich and feature complete (a "finished game"!) and the response from the games industry was that it was unrealistic and unfair to expect other studios to be held to that standard

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

i am harry posted:

again, not the words of a poor person quoted here.

$250 monthly food budget
x

$12.50 cash back a month, or two weeks worth of groceries a year.

two weeks of groceries that you get as a loyalty reward is more than walmart or safeway ever gave anyone

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
and all you need to do is sign up for a credit card! that's a bargain if you ask me

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

you pay it off every month and use it to buy stuff from costco you were already going to buy
there's a reason people in china were so excited to have that costco opening

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Costco purchases are 3% cash back not 5%. If you want 5% cash back on groceries you either use a Chase Freedom for Q1 2024, since that happens to be the category now, or you use an Amazon Prime Visa at Whole Foods.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The costco-branded credit card only gives you 2% cash back at costco, not 5%

skooma512 posted:

Costco purchases are 3% cash back not 5%. If you want 5% cash back on groceries you either use a Chase Freedom for Q1 2024, since that happens to be the category now, or you use an Amazon Prime Visa at Whole Foods.

or the citi custom cash card, which gives you 5% cash on your highest-spending category from a list of categories each month (up to $500 spent), one of which is groceries

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 20:27 on Jan 25, 2024

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

i am harry posted:

zero

try it out for a month; limit your food and travel budget to $250 and you’ll see that you never step foot inside a Costco

yeah, ebt doesn't cover a fuckn membership fee

now winco, that's the top tier grocery if you're poor as hell

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Justin Tyme posted:

Big lol recently was when bg3 dropped it was content rich and feature complete (a "finished game"!) and the response from the games industry was that it was unrealistic and unfair to expect other studios to be held to that standard

It's a good game but act 3 is rushed and you stop leveling up about 2/3rds of the way through the game which is a really aggressively long time to have been actually on purpose

I think larian made an impressive game but it's a long way off from, say, pathfinder wotr in terms of being complete

The game didn't even launch with a proper ending!

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
every time i've been to costco everything is more or less the same unit price as the grocery store but you have to buy 3-4x as much

also somehow every costco is at least a half hour drive from wherever you are, and they have the most hellish parking lots in the usa

saving a few cents per ounce on a gallon of mayonnaise vs a pint of mayonnaise doesn't really draw me in i guess

food court is good as hell though, that's for sure

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Costco really isn’t a cheap place to get stuff. people tend to assume they must be getting a good deal because it’s bulk but if you break it down to a per pound basis it’s not great. comparing it to something like winco it’s drastically cheaper to buy staples like onions, carrots, potatoes, chicken, pork, etc just by standard prices. If you’re shopping weekly fliers even non cheap grocery chains like Safeway can often come out ahead.

Costco has some good deals on like paper products and cheese, but it’s not really great for sustenance shopping. what Costco does offer cheaper is premium stuff, their produce is more expensive but it’s gonna last longer without spoiling, the packaging on their chicken makes it far easier to split up and free portions, their high end meats like prime steaks or good fish is cheaper. You can get fancier organic canned stuff for cheaper. etc. If you want premium options yeah Costco has you covered, if you’re just trying to grab some pork chops and broccoli you’re better off shopping sales or going to known cheap stores like winco.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PoundSand posted:

Costco really isn’t a cheap place to get stuff. people tend to assume they must be getting a good deal because it’s bulk but if you break it down to a per pound basis it’s not great. comparing it to something like winco it’s drastically cheaper to buy staples like onions, carrots, potatoes, chicken, pork, etc. If you’re shopping weekly fliers even non cheap grocery chains like Safeway can often come out ahead.

Costco has some good deals on like paper products and cheese, but it’s not really great for sustenance shopping. what Costco does offer cheaper is premium stuff, their produce is more expensive but it’s gonna last longer without spoiling, the packaging on their chicken makes it far easier to split up and free portions, their high end meats like prime steaks or good fish is cheaper. You can get fancier organic canned stuff for cheaper. etc. If you want premium options yeah Costco has you covered, if you’re just trying to grab some pork chops and broccoli you’re better off shopping sales or going to known cheap stores like winco.

I started going to costco recently. I found it's good for gas, and stuff like paper products that doesn't expire, dish soap, laundry detergent, stuff like that. however the big tradeoff is there's very little variety (for example, only one kind of pasta sauce, or two kinds of toothpaste). also i really hate the actual experience of going into a costco

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The thing that makes it for me is stuff like sandwich supplies. you get 2x the good cheese like tillamook for what it would cost at the grocery store. Same with deli meat packs. And cottage cheese, sour cream, etc.

The real problem with costco is most people just dont have the discipline to go in with a list and only buy the poo poo on the list. So you get people intending to spend like $150 on necessities and walking out having spent 400$ because they fell for the lure of poo poo in the electronics department or homegoods.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

the milk machine posted:

every time i've been to costco everything is more or less the same unit price as the grocery store but you have to buy 3-4x as much

also somehow every costco is at least a half hour drive from wherever you are, and they have the most hellish parking lots in the usa

saving a few cents per ounce on a gallon of mayonnaise vs a pint of mayonnaise doesn't really draw me in i guess

food court is good as hell though, that's for sure

You gotta know which items are Deals and which items are Premium Consumer Bait and shop accordingly

They know 99% of people are gonna snag some Premium Consumer Bait (as a treat) so they can afford to lose money or just break even on whole roasted chickens, toilet paper, eggs, etc.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://twitter.com/julesaroscoe/status/1750277587136331898
Is it possible to be an anti-fanboy

Because I don't feel all that strongly about Intel and AMD but yet...

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Vox Nihili posted:

You gotta know which items are Deals and which items are Premium Consumer Bait and shop accordingly

They know 99% of people are gonna snag some Premium Consumer Bait (as a treat) so they can afford to lose money or just break even on whole roasted chickens, toilet paper, eggs, etc.

Incredible discipline required. Daily participation encouraged.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Incredible discipline required. Daily participation encouraged.

Im going to buy a rotisserie chicken every day and get swole on the cheap. I'm also going to get kidney stones and gout on the cheap. Huge wins.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

https://twitter.com/julesaroscoe/status/1750277587136331898
Is it possible to be an anti-fanboy

Because I don't feel all that strongly about Intel and AMD but yet...

lol l that’s grim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

:sickos:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2024/01/25/tesla-share-price-earnings/

Tesla shares plummeted more than 10 percent Thursday, wiping billions off the company’s valuation after CEO Elon Musk failed to allay concerns about stagnating growth and persistent price cuts on the company’s earnings call.

The electric-vehicle maker ushered in steep price cuts to maintain demand throughout 2023, resulting in 38 percent growth in vehicle deliveries that hardly translated into additional revenue, prompting worry from investors and analysts.

On Wednesday, Tesla reported quarterly results that missed analysts’ expectations, including annual revenue that grew by merely 3 percent despite significantly higher sales volume, and a forecast for a potential “notably lower growth rate” than in 2023 as it invests in a next-generation vehicle it says it will begin building in 2025.

Meanwhile, Musk is asking for more control over the company after drawing down a significant portion of his Tesla stock amid his purchase of Twitter in 2022.

“Tesla is currently between two major growth waves,” Musk told investors Wednesday. The company is preparing to ship a new iteration of its driver-assistance system, he said, and is making progress toward its next vehicle.

Wall Street observers expected better news out of the earnings call. Dan Ives, a tech analyst with Wedbush Securities, said executives failed to address short-term concerns, even though he remains sold on the company’s long-term value.

“We were dead wrong expecting Musk and team to step up like adults in the room on the call and give a strategic and financial overview of the ongoing price cuts, margin structure and fluctuating demand. … instead we got a high-level Tesla long-term view with another train wreck conference call,” Ives wrote Thursday.

The company’s falling margins and “constant never-ending price cuts” are concerns, Ives wrote.

Gene Munster, managing partner of Deepwater Asset Management, said the company’s outlook gave investors pause.

“This was the most sobering guidance I’ve seen from Tesla,”
he said.

Musk also faced questions about his public demand for 25 percent of the company’s voting shares. Musk said Wednesday he wants the power to resist activist investors who may have “strange ideas” about how to run Tesla.

“I don’t want to control it, but if I have so little influence over the company at that stage, I could sort of be booted out by some random shareholder advisory firm,” Musk said.

Tesla laid out other plans for 2024 on the call, including rolling out the latest version of its Full Self-Driving Beta software, the company’s advanced driver-assistance system, to around 400,000 users.

But the company has faced new challenges with regulators when it comes to its driver-assistance software, Autopilot, which can maneuver its vehicles from highway on-ramp to off-ramp, maintaining a set distance and speed and even making lane changes. Full Self-Driving brings those capabilities to surface streets, allowing the vehicles to navigate from point to point, following road signs and making turns. Drivers must pay full attention at all times while using the software.

Tesla agreed last month to recall 2 million vehicles, nearly every car it has produced, over concerns that Autopilot did not adequately safeguard against driver misuse. The recall, conducted via a remote update, followed a series of meetings with regulators in late 2023 amid a larger investigation into Autopilot.

Days before the recall was announced, The Washington Post published an investigation identifying at least eight fatal or serious crashes involving Autopilot in locations where the software was not intended to be used.

A lot of psychology to read between the lines on here. Also it remains eternally hilarious to me how this economy is so brain broken that the looming potential of something not getting exponentially more valuable every three months is the same as it losing value and thus becoming worthless.