Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've got like 1000 hours total in Souls games and this combat ain't it, both because there's zero healing and because the controls are too imprecise and the tells on the boss moves too inconsistent in how obvious they are and how they're often buried in a bunch of other visual effects. I've been totally unimpressed with the combat on the player side so far but that's not really why I play this genre. I haven't made any guns yet but it feels like the smartest thing is to just dodge constantly while your pals do all the work and just recall them to do charged shots with a 3x bow for 0.5% of the boss' health until you can throw 45 ingots to capture them.

edit - for non-bosses, it's exactly the same but replace 0.5% with 1.5% if they're at or near your level. Maybe the musket will change this dynamic but I doubt it since the crossbow felt like a strict downgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

There appears to be no restrictions on skill fruits btw, just loaded everything onto my fancy fire bird to try it out.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

On the topic of evading attacks, I've personally noticed a stark difference between dodging stuff when playing solo, and when playing with friends (and I'm not the host). I feel like I can pretty reliably use iframes to dodge stuff when I'm on my own, but with friends, I repeatedly find myself getting hit by attacks I was confident I dodged in time. Which makes complete sense, but, please consider this if you play solo and are offering advice to people who aren't.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

Lt. Cock posted:

For real. I put three in a ranch early on when it was annoying to craft a ton of spheres and arrows. Those three basically entirely eliminated the need to craft until I had so many excess basic balls and arrows that I dropped it down to one Vixy.

I catch a lot of things by attrition with basic spheres because I have so many. Just aim where they’re gonna pop out of the ball and huck another one if they break until they’re caught.

If anyone doesn’t know, Vixy spawn right around that small settlement which is easy to get to early on.

The only thing that's annoying about this is that inevitably some of the balls will wind up gathered to a chest, and when I'm doing my laps around the base to drop off all the random crap I've picked up I tend to forget and wind up sending my full stack to storage without noticing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Not quite as good as others posted before, but I'm pretty happy with how this guy turned out

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

DarthRoblox posted:

The only thing that's annoying about this is that inevitably some of the balls will wind up gathered to a chest, and when I'm doing my laps around the base to drop off all the random crap I've picked up I tend to forget and wind up sending my full stack to storage without noticing.

I haven't had this problem only because I don't know this hotkey. What is this hotkey.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lt. Cock posted:

I haven't had this problem only because I don't know this hotkey. What is this hotkey.

R when looking in a chest or I think RB on the controller. It says in the bottom right when you're looking in a chest.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Broken Cog posted:

Not quite as good as others posted before, but I'm pretty happy with how this guy turned out

Is there a good explainer on how traits and breeding work? I'm getting towards the low 40s and getting some top end pals now but haven't gotten serious about breeding traits in to them yet, that's probably my next step after I level up enough to get more rank 4's in the positions I want them in.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

DarthRoblox posted:

Put a small chest immediately next to the ranch, so everything from the ranch will be delivered there, and you just need to be careful to not do that on that one chest.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

I've got like 1000 hours total in Souls games and this combat ain't it, both because there's zero healing and because the controls are too imprecise and the tells on the boss moves too inconsistent in how obvious they are and how they're often buried in a bunch of other visual effects. I've been totally unimpressed with the combat on the player side so far but that's not really why I play this genre. I haven't made any guns yet but it feels like the smartest thing is to just dodge constantly while your pals do all the work and just recall them to do charged shots with a 3x bow for 0.5% of the boss' health until you can throw 45 ingots to capture them.

edit - for non-bosses, it's exactly the same but replace 0.5% with 1.5% if they're at or near your level. Maybe the musket will change this dynamic but I doubt it since the crossbow felt like a strict downgrade

The musket is like an even slower crossbow. The triple bow does it's job of pecking enemies and starting fights, and you can use its punt damage to carefully lower hp thresholds if need be. However on some level enemies it only does 1 attack each hot which may or may not be what you need.

I skipped the makeshift handgun and made the regular handgun. That feels like a proper upgrade from triple bow. 8 shots before reload which is faster than musket reload. Damage is higher per hot than musket as well.

I prefer bows mechanically, holding and releasing to hit and leading shots and whatever, but the handgun is good.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Croccers posted:

Ok so what would working in an Amazon Warehouse or as a UPS/FedEx driver be?

A human job

Pals are not real

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Don't know who needs to hear this but if your stuff isn't getting craft and you have the proper pals, its probably the bizarre teleporting issue. Pals will get stuck where they can't get out, and I cycle them out and back in at that Palbox and away they go crafting.

Sometimes its hung up in a tree outside the blue base circle. When I got the flying mount I flew up to track them down, but it ends up being a waste of time because I have to go back to the palbox and cycle them anyway

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Khanstant posted:

The musket is like an even slower crossbow. The triple bow does it's job of pecking enemies and starting fights, and you can use its punt damage to carefully lower hp thresholds if need be. However on some level enemies it only does 1 attack each hot which may or may not be what you need.

I skipped the makeshift handgun and made the regular handgun. That feels like a proper upgrade from triple bow. 8 shots before reload which is faster than musket reload. Damage is higher per hot than musket as well.

I prefer bows mechanically, holding and releasing to hit and leading shots and whatever, but the handgun is good.

Makeshift handgun has better damage and I think the ammo is cheaper? I upgraded to handgun then went back down. Regular handgun better for plinking health at lower levels.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Frequently I find pals stuck inside my house. How did you get in there buddy? The door is always closed and there aren't any crafting stations in there. Also stuck in the river or on top of trees. Or standing around dropping and picking up the same rocks over and over. I worry about them sometimes.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

SettingSun posted:

Frequently I find pals stuck inside my house. How did you get in there buddy? The door is always closed and there aren't any crafting stations in there. Also stuck in the river or on top of trees. Or standing around dropping and picking up the same rocks over and over. I worry about them sometimes.

Nobody said Pals are smart, just apparently evolved from a common human ancestry at some point in the past? I dunno there was some mention of it in one of the journals I nabbed but I haven't gotten them all to really dive in to the surely deep and richly involved lore.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

So, people have started comparing the models directly to pokémon and the findings are... weird.

https://twitter.com/Cephery_2/status/1749510017890361537

The models are close enough that they were definitely used somehow, but it appears less like they stole the models entirely and more that they loaded in a pokémon model and built a new one around it, akin to 3D tracing or rotoscoping. Which is weird, but given how bizarre their processes have been told to be, I can believe it's something they'd do. If they were just stealing the models outright they'd obviously be in deep poo poo but I don't know if 3D tracing has a legal precedent. I'd be worried if I were them, though.

I think I might need to chime in here as a lawyer. If they’re taking the 3d models and altering them in a substantial way that’s completely legal. If it’s half assed and they maybe altered one or two minor things then that might be grounds to sue.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I just posted details for a g-portal hosted 20 slot NA-region server in Private Games. Please enjoy responsibly!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Shuka posted:

Don't know who needs to hear this but if your stuff isn't getting craft and you have the proper pals, its probably the bizarre teleporting issue. Pals will get stuck where they can't get out, and I cycle them out and back in at that Palbox and away they go crafting.

Sometimes its hung up in a tree outside the blue base circle. When I got the flying mount I flew up to track them down, but it ends up being a waste of time because I have to go back to the palbox and cycle them anyway

They get abstracted when you are not around and that solves a lot of path finding issues, some times. Creates others as well.

I have a coal base with some desert trees. Every time I go there, all my birds are on top of the trees, stuck there, until I chop down the tree or put them back in and then out of the palbox.

It seems they make them all point sized objects and let them ignore collision but even that may cause issues.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

MarshyMcFly posted:

I think I might need to chime in here as a lawyer. If they’re taking the 3d models and altering them in a substantial way that’s completely legal. If it’s half assed and they maybe altered one or two minor things then that might be grounds to sue.

Pretty sure they're hosed
https://twitter.com/themimegogo/status/1750591419469959665

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I fully believe they're going to get a C&D or DMCA or whatever for just how closely the models are traced from actual pokemon models but on the other hand they've made so much money they can easily hire a team to make new models

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Hasn't this sort of thing happened in the past and all the company had to do was change the models and they could keep selling the game?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Twitter 'experts' are the lowest rung of commentary out there. Wake me up when Legal Eagle does a video on it or better yet, if Nintendo actually does anything (they won't).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hamelekim posted:

Hasn't this sort of thing happened in the past and all the company had to do was change the models and they could keep selling the game?

I'm not a lawyer but from all the reading I've done about copyright law in the past my understanding is that yes, this would be fine, and the only way they'd get in more trouble would be if Nintendo/TPC could prove that the models here damaged the Pokemon brand or hurt the sales of Pokemon games - which is very difficult to prove even when it's a more clear case.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Linear time argues against all of that. This game has been in development for years and it wasn't in a hermetically sealed top secret facility behind locked doors with zero publicity, yet nothing happened to them that entire time.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

A good example i think is that way back when terraria on release had really lightly edited ff5 sprites for players and they just had to make new sprites that were a bit more edited, if i recall.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Linear time argues against all of that. This game has been in development for years and it wasn't in a hermetically sealed top secret facility behind locked doors with zero publicity, yet nothing happened to them that entire time.

I don't think this really holds up, because Nintendo or TPC or whoever wouldn't have had access to the game's models prior to release to make a case for how closely they were copied.

It's hard to make a copyright claim by saying "These things in the trailer look like similar to our designs!" - to have a strong case you'd need to be able to compare the models directly and show the court just how closely they were copied.

The issue with Palworld isn't that "The creatures are stylistically similar to Pokemon", it's that they literally just traced Pokemon models and textured them differently or added/removed a few bits and bobs to make their own models. It's the direct copying of TPC's work as opposed to just looking similar that makes it a potentially valid copyright claim.

e: Though I suppose none of this would go through US courts so I'm not sure how this would all differ in Japan or wherever the claim would be made, but this is at least (AFAIK) how it would work in US law.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 25, 2024

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
CEO: “ we checked the legality of it before releasing.”

Goon Lawyer: “this seem legal.”

Everyone else: “NITENDO WILL BREAth DOWN FIRE ON THEM ANYTIME NOW!”

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Technically what the goon lawyer said is "It's legal if they made substantial changes and might not be legal if they didn't", and by all appearances they didn't :colbert: But that's something too nuanced for random internet weirdos like us to determine so all any of us can do right now is speculate.

Either way it's not likely to affect them in any way beyond maybe making them spend a tiny fraction of their profits from the game to contract someone to whip up new legally distinct models, and the game maybe being pulled from storefronts for a little while as they do that. Which would probably be beneficial to their sales because it gives them a second release date and "Palworld re-released with new models!" headlines to generate buzz.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 25, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

... But that's something too nuanced for random internet weirdos like us to determine so all any of us can do right now is speculate. talk about the actual game

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just got a Mossanda and I'm not sure if he's "good" as a mount or not but the floating to the ground while the leaf on his head twirls around is pretty hilarious.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am gonna keep talking about legal issues with legal pokemon

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

these pals are ILL-legal

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

if nintendo actually intended to sue they would not release a statement about it until they were already suing.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Third World Reagan posted:

these pals are ILL-legal

LOCK THEM UP!!

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Makeshift handgun has better damage and I think the ammo is cheaper? I upgraded to handgun then went back down. Regular handgun better for plinking health at lower levels.

Yeah I've gone with makeshift handgun for a while since it uses the same coarse ammo as the musket and npcs seem to drop it often enough. Haven't had to craft any ammo in a while, just ride your pal to raze down enemy camps as you come across them to stay topped up.

Speaking of, which attacks are people using on their rideable pals? I feel like slotting in skills with quick windups, short cooldowns and fast travel time pays off, maybe putting in one bigger aoe attack that can wipe out weaker enemies. Also from casual observation it seems that pals don't really care about attack cooldowns when fighting independently, they just cycle through their move list, so I'd consider slapping some haymakers on non-mountable pals.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

bird food bathtub posted:

Is there a good explainer on how traits and breeding work? I'm getting towards the low 40s and getting some top end pals now but haven't gotten serious about breeding traits in to them yet, that's probably my next step after I level up enough to get more rank 4's in the positions I want them in.

The breeding system is a bit esoteric, but someone compiled it into a searchable website:
https://palworld.kimpton.io/

As for traits, it seems to be just that it first rolls for random traits like any other pal, then adds or replaces some of them with the traits of the parents. At least from my understanding.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Endorph posted:

if nintendo actually intended to sue they would not release a statement about it until they were already suing.

Pretty much. The statement is a very generic "we'll look into it" and clearly intended to get people to stop bugging them about it, not actually precede a suit.

Besides, all the companies involved are Japanese, so any suit would likely happen in Japanese courts. IANAL but there's likely different standards and precedents for copyright over there. Take anything American twitter lawyers say about this with an even finer grain of salt than usual.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

enjoying a solo start on the west isles, there's this lovely spot on a cliff where invaders can only reach from two easily defended locations, and the rest is a nice view of vistas. cozy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not sure why “They copied the Pokémon models” is still a discussion point after Twitter weirdo #4,876 admitted to falsifying it