Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've lived 1000 miles from my employer for a year now. Strongly recommend.

I did like being in that office, it was pretty chill and quiet. And I liked being able to head to lunch with co workers and generally shoot the poo poo.

But commutes are trash and soul destroying. If they counted commutes as work time and let me shift my schedule to avoid rush hour I'd consider it again. But not until then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm at 370 miles. It makes very infrequent trips to the office somewhat convenient with a very short flight.

Actually heading home now after being in the office since Monday. It was the first time since right before the pandemic. I don't expect to be back anytime soon as they don't have the stomach for the cost unless there's a compelling reason.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xzzy posted:

I've lived 1000 miles from my employer for a year now. Strongly recommend.

this is where I'm at now. I visit once a year and that's plenty.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Before covid my ex-employer was flying me from the dev office in Toronto to HQ in Chicago once a month because they were too cheap to replace my counterpart there. I loved it the first two times ... by the third it was already miserable, interfering with life poo poo ... and no good concerts to see in Chicago.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Going to a meeting with my boss, going to ask that she hold off on the project work while I'm the only help desk person in.

It's almost like we're understaffed, have a goddamn pile of technical debt, and she wants me to contact each user, individually, to get them to do a bunch of work to fix our new phone system... for a feature we don't need and don't use. Sure boss!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Also before anyone asks I have my resume and next cover letter already up on my personal pc

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The power move is to print it and leave it in the tray

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've just run the numbers and I could get a train to Paris and it would only be about a 30 minute longer journey than going to our permanent office, I could definitely go along with a job where I worked remote and then visited France every couple of months for an overnight.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd feel differently about going into the office if it was a 20 minute cycle or walk in, but I'm just not willing to lose 90 minutes a day to commuting to sit at a worse work environment than I have created at home.

I feel exactly the same. The most heard argument from my coworkers who do work at the office is that
cross team collaboration and informal exchange is much higher.

Last time I was in the office I sat at a row of desks which had 3 people with headphones on and I had zero interaction with. Then there was a PO who was in conf calls all day which was incredibly distracting. Coffee was poo poo, cafetaria was downsized since there’s only 10% of the people it was built to serve. Meaning I had to go out for a decent lunch and waste more time/money. And to top it off the monitor setup is worse than what I have at home.

The only upside at being in the office is that I spend about 25-30% of the day working and billing a full day.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

If I don't shoot the poo poo with someone in a different department for at least an hour during my office days, I'm not doing it right.

If I want to get poo poo done, I'm either out in the field or working from home.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
At my workplace there are always people about because you can't really work at home on many of the things.

Like,

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pfft, no problem. Kanban boards can be digital and shared remotely.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh wait am I not supposed to take one of those cards?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Oh, Kan they?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Antigravitas posted:

At my workplace there are always people about because you can't really work at home on many of the things.

Like,

Are you even a goon if you do not have a radiation lab at home?!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm not going through that door unless invited, by the way. But I sometimes go past it and always marvel at how many fun signs there are on it.

Some doors around this place promise an exciting adventure. There's one that says there's a live class 4 laser inside.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Visible lasers are pretty dope.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

Pfft, no problem. Kanban boards can be digital and shared remotely.
The "done" column on Jira's Kanban automatically hides the task after two weeks and there's literally no way to disable or alter that functionality. But support will point you to feature requests you can +1.

Jira is the weirdest product I've ever had to work with. It's simultaneously so powerful and asinine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone should know the difference between 'radioactive materials area' and 'radiation area'.

(I'm only allowed to step into the former, but if I see anything glowing run to the nearest phone and report it)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Blurb3947 posted:

My ideal gig would be cloud engineer or support but no bites on that. So then I've been looking for anything ranging from network admin to desktop support. I feel like my resume is strong but there's just so much competition right now.

Cloud Engineer or support for what exactly? I still feel like there's quite a bit out there. I am bit surprised that hiring hasn't picked up with holidays over. I've got about 4-5 gigs I am trying to get but still going through the typical HR process. No real interviews but no rejections either.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

teethgrinder posted:

The "done" column on Jira's Kanban automatically hides the task after two weeks and there's literally no way to disable or alter that functionality. But support will point you to feature requests you can +1.

Jira is the weirdest product I've ever had to work with. It's simultaneously so powerful and asinine.

It's kind of hilarious that they created an entire tool to assist in troubleshooting its own permissions errors.

Also I don't know if anyone's ever tried to integrate with Jira's current APIs but holy poo poo they require you to submit data associated with people (like, creating a ticket assigned to a specific person via API) in terms of people's Jira's internal IDs which... are not all that gettable via api at all for what they say is for GDPR reasons??

Fortunately not all that many people use Jira for us, so I can just hardcode an email to internal id lookup but come on.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm 37 and just started at a place that's hybrid with 3 days in the office. Everyone comes in Monday and Friday, and then teams pick their third day. And then meetings are organized around those in office days, because lots of things are easier in person.

I live a 3 minute walk from a train that drops me off at the front door in less than 15 minutes. I'm also downtown which is a dream I've had since college but actually forgot about.

I was getting pretty frustrated with WFH at my old place. They went full remote at the start of COVID and just never went anywhere from there. 4 years later and they still acted like this WFH thing was temporary and they weren't going to make any organizational changes yet. No effort to create any kind of remote first culture (even though they were actively hiring people all around the country to be fully remote), no effort to create any kind of spaces that people might want to use to come in and work together. It was just perpetually March of 2020 over there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've applied for a job that would be hybrid, not sure the exact terms. That's a sign of desperation on my part. As I said in the interview for a remote job yesterday, I'd like to meet everyone in person at least once (the whole team is in one town because they have all been there since pre-COVID) but aside from that I'm happy working at home.

When I was working for a European company I would have been more than happy to go visit HQ for a week or so, but I see that as a fair trade for the company paying for my plane tickets to take vacation for a week or two after that.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

xzzy posted:

But commutes are trash and soul destroying. If they counted commutes as work time and let me shift my schedule to avoid rush hour I'd consider it again. But not until then.

I feel like I’m the only person here who’s commute time is on the clock. One of the big reasons I took the job. Also they pay for every mile of travel. So far they’ve made me come in every day and I can’t imagine this is sustainable. At some point they’ll just let me stay home

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Making it the law that companies pay for your commute would very quickly sort out the ones who actually believed that being in-office improved productivity, it’s the only way I can see of actually getting a fair chunk of people to consider coming back into offices

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

Making it the law that companies pay for your commute would very quickly sort out the ones who actually believed that being in-office improved productivity, it’s the only way I can see of actually getting a fair chunk of people to consider coming back into offices

Then they'll pay you less the further you live from the office. Always figuring ways to gently caress you.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah considering that "lives farther from the office" isn't a protected class as far as I'm aware, we might not want to open that particular box.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Thanks Ants posted:

Agreed

Of course corporations will try to gently caress you over about it, but they do that for literally everything, including based on protected classes. And there's only one way to really fix it: :ussr:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Anybody here have experience managing a team 100% remotely? We currently do one day a week hybrid, with that one day being our designated team meeting day and it feels like it's been a pretty successful arrangement for us. Part of me wants to explore the possibility of me moving states and going full remote but the thought of being the one guy just on the screen feels like it would be either wonky or kind of depressing. :sigh:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I manage a 100% remote team, any particular question? I have a wife and kids to keep me busy outside of work. Otherwise, it would probably be a bit lonely.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

Sepist posted:

I manage a 100% remote team, any particular question? I have a wife and kids to keep me busy outside of work. Otherwise, it would probably be a bit lonely.

It's admittedly hard to put my finger on it exactly, but like, is it difficult to do all the meetings remotely? Is it harder to collaborate and manage? Is it more difficult to keep a team's energy up remotely? Stuff along those lines.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Sardonik posted:

Anybody here have experience managing a team 100% remotely? We currently do one day a week hybrid, with that one day being our designated team meeting day and it feels like it's been a pretty successful arrangement for us. Part of me wants to explore the possibility of me moving states and going full remote but the thought of being the one guy just on the screen feels like it would be either wonky or kind of depressing. :sigh:

They closed my local office in 03 and the last MI office in 2010, so I've been fully remote for quite a while. I think that if you can get your entire team into one office, giving that up and going remote is a bit of a shame. The moment you're spread across multiple sites, you need to be able to manage people you never see. You may as well work from home, if you're so inclined.

My only advice is to be really conscientious about communication. Once you can't assume that people will get the word through the office grapevine, you need to be putting it out there yourself, updating docs, and generally being certain nobody can possibly avoid hearing what you're saying.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Sardonik posted:

It's admittedly hard to put my finger on it exactly, but like, is it difficult to do all the meetings remotely? Is it harder to collaborate and manage? Is it more difficult to keep a team's energy up remotely? Stuff along those lines.

I was never a manager prior to 100% wfh so I'm not able to compare. Collaboration can be tough in a large group because its too easy to task switch, but individual meetings are fine, I do them all the time. Most people on my team are able to do their job autonomously so there's not much needed by me, I am more or less there to help in any way unblock them on task completion and make sure their needs are met.

Team energy I think is alright, I try to keep my team meetings light-hearted and add personal touches to help with that. It would probably be more-so in person though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

They announced bonus and the Chick fil A at HQ is opening back up in a couple months. Most folks are pretty happy today.

I’m still remote for now but if they told me tomorrow I need to be in the office, I’d go in. The market isn’t great right now, especially for remote openings.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

skipdogg posted:

They announced bonus and the Chick fil A at HQ is opening back up in a couple months. Most folks are pretty happy today.

I’m still remote for now but if they told me tomorrow I need to be in the office, I’d go in. The market isn’t great right now, especially for remote openings.

Do you still have snipers on the roof?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think remote hiring is gonna back fire eventually. There's no way jobs getting a thousand applicants and people applying for hundreds of jobs to get one is going to be sustainable for either side of the equation. Both sides are resorting more and more to "AI" and I think employers are going to realize that not only are they now unable to find the "best" employees, they'll eventually not even be able to find "good" employees.

I don't really know what the answer is, and despite my pessimism I don't think getting rid of "remote from anywhere" work is the option. But I think something's going to change.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the french had the right answer

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

FISHMANPET posted:

I think remote hiring is gonna back fire eventually. There's no way jobs getting a thousand applicants and people applying for hundreds of jobs to get one is going to be sustainable for either side of the equation. Both sides are resorting more and more to "AI" and I think employers are going to realize that not only are they now unable to find the "best" employees, they'll eventually not even be able to find "good" employees.

I don't really know what the answer is, and despite my pessimism I don't think getting rid of "remote from anywhere" work is the option. But I think something's going to change.

What? I've been remote for over 10 years, you get me at texas money for California work. Why do you think this is gonna change?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

The Fool posted:

the french had the right answer

Rioting? I feel like that never ends well, but I suppose if enough stuff gets burned down we can have a fresh start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hotel Kpro posted:

Rioting? I feel like that never ends well, but I suppose if enough stuff gets burned down we can have a fresh start

I dare you to compare the workers rights in France vs the workers rights in America.