Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1750568690804830703?t=ThIKxovSRY-WmRgGhItaHQ&s=19

The jokes would write themselves if it wasn't for the circumstances. But looks like she signed an NDA for $3M, then ol' Vinnie Mac decided to stop paying after $1M and the board started asking questions. Said board mostly stopped after they got to "WHAT THE FU-" and never added the CK? because the company was being sold for bajillionty dollars.

Anyone know what the income cutoff is where cat girls just aren't enough and you need to get into really weird poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
if N2 is deemed innapropriate for mousey research and veterinary euthenasia, I am confident it is a-ok for a human execution and they'll just get sleepy or whatever. don't @ me biology PhD havers, this is a personal time of mourning for me and my family (Nick Saban retirement)

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The death penalty isn't about humane methods of execution- there are like a dozen ways to quickly and physically painlessly to kill. Most are ugly, and show the Death Penalty without the pretenses.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

lightpole posted:

Anyone know what the income cutoff is where cat girls just aren't enough and you need to get into really weird poo poo?

Vince has always been a weirdo. Him pooping on someones head is the least surprising thing, the most surprising thing is he actually paid her 1/3rd of the agreement.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Humans and animals have different responses to hypoxia

Source: me inhaling a helium balloon and passing out

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I was gonna say major co2 inhalation is fast and painless too, see all the people who climb into tanks and immediately drop dead with no warning

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I was gonna say major co2 inhalation is fast and painless too, see all the people who climb into tanks and immediately drop dead with no warning

Yeah we just had one of those in the yards. Freaky poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Russians just use a potato cellar

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mustang posted:

Wouldn't help, it's not like I'll be blissfully unaware that Red states will continue to tighten the screws on anyone and everyone that isn't a straight white christian conservative.

I literally didn’t have to look to know that prior post was you.

You are a good dude, maybe take a break from breaking news. Please don’t take this as me being a dick.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Isn’t the anxiety and pain from asphyxiation caused by the buildup from carbon dioxide in the bloodstream, not the lack of oxygen itself?

I’m not in favor of the death penalty at all but I think I’d pick slowly passing out without pain over being a human guinea pig for whatever drug cocktail isn’t yet banned for sale by pharmaceutical companies.

Mooooooostly, yes. Autonomic nerve system sensors, generally speaking, don't respond to the lack of oxygen as you would think. For the majority of the population we respond much more strongly to the increase in blood acidity of the presence of excess carbon dioxide. In theory for the majority of the population this means that, yeah, blast full nitrogen in and let them expel carbon dioxide with normal breathing and they'll never have any kind of reaction.

HOWEVER.

If you're in a partially compromised condition for a long term your body gets used to that condition and the response to it. Think being in the room with a bad smell, and then eventually just not smelling it or at least not as much. Someone new to the room will go all "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT" and you're all "I dunno, not bad, just a little bit of carbon dioxide in the blood stream whatever you get used to it." For this portion of the population the hypoxic drive takes over and has a much stronger reaction. For the people in that condition, they WILL react to the lack of oxygen in the blood using the 'secondary', so to speak, system.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How about we give them nitrous oxide instead

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
riveting testimony in the E. Jean Carfoll from our special boy

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1750599102000206144

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1750599721603731558

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah we just had one of those in the yards. Freaky poo poo.

the very worst thing about them is the pile of bodies as people respond to their natural instinct to help :(

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Wait, what? Military tanks, or what?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

would someone kindly explain this for the non-law-talkers? did he really take the stand just to answer one question and immediately get objected, no further questions?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

no, tanks as in confined spaces

they're pretty much tailor made to kill folk - made from steel so the rust eats the oxygen in the air, generally you have to lie down or at least crouch so you're right down in the descending gasses

and as noted your body has a co2 gauge FOR YOUR BLOODSTREAM, it's completely useless when you're inhaling an unbreathable atmosphere so you drop as though you'd been blood choked (which you effectively have been)

no warning whatsoever and you're out like a light and dead within seconds

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Leave posted:

Confined spaces, could be bilges, chain lockers, tunnels, sewers, machine pits, methane storage tanks, anywhere oxygen could get displaced by nastier gasses.

E: Blyat!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Leave posted:

Chemical storage tank or similar. One gets filled with a heavy odorless gas, person goes in and blacks out, second person rushes in when they find the unconscious/ dead person, repeat until someone remembers to put on breathing apparatus. Tragic stuff.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Leave posted:

All unventilated sealed voids above a certain size are dangerous and should only be entered with proper PPE / Testing / procedure.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

hypnophant posted:

would someone kindly explain this for the non-law-talkers? did he really take the stand just to answer one question and immediately get objected, no further questions?

Yep. The fact-finding part of the whole thing (Donnie sexually assaulted E. Jean Carroll) was already done and not up for debate. The only thing that was up for debate was the harm caused by Donnie's repeated defamatory statements.

So there were a ton of pre-jury discussions between's Donnie's poo poo lawyer on what the poo poo lawyer could ask him. She could only ask him topics related to the damages done by said statements, everything else is off-limits to this trial. And so, she could only ask three questions and Donnie got shut down for anything outside of a yes/no.

He took a whole drat day to be there and say nothing, as his Truth Social statements are being introduced as evidence.

https://themessenger.com/politics/trump-testifies-witness-stand-e-jean-carroll-defamation-trial

quote:

Last spring, a prior jury found that Trump sexually abused Carroll in the dressing room of a Bergdorf Goodman in the mid-1990s — and then defamed the “Ask E. Jean” columnist via his denigrating denials.

As a result of that judgment, Trump has been barred from disputing the allegations against him on the witness stand, as he does frequently on social media and the campaign trial. Instead, Trump can only testify to information suggesting that Carroll has not been damaged by statements he made about the case when he was president.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 25, 2024

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
smdh science says we need oxygen, but when you get too much of two oxygens AND a carbon it can actually be bad? unreal, this is why so many americans, thankfully, do their own research

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Actually that's the one that will have you panicking inside cuz your body doesn't detect oxygen in the atmosphere, it detects CO2 buildup in the lungs.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Wasabi the J posted:

Actually that's the one that will have you panicking inside cuz your body doesn't detect oxygen in the atmosphere, it detects CO2 buildup in the lungs.

:sigh:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

you

don't

have

time

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

What is it with rich idiots and poop? McAfee was into that too.

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Russians just use a potato cellar

I appreciate this reference.

Also I thought that one of the pushbacks against N2 was that folks didn't suffer enough. Is that just a false memory?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

citybeatnik posted:

If I had to guess - Power trip play and degradation of their victims. McAfee and McMahon are people who get/got their rocks off on abusing others with their power, and its unsurprising that they are the same way in the bedroom.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I'm seeing that the victim's family was part of the attempted appeals to SCOTUS?

Jesus why isn't that an immediate stay

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
the courtroom artist finally captured exactly what my brain sees when I see donnie anywhere:

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1750630328631218296

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Aside from the humane option of not executing anyone not convicted of documented corruption, seems like we could have some fun by letting prisoners choose their own execution method if a doctor is reasonably sure it would be lethal. Want to sit on top of a few tons of ammonium perchlorate as it cooks off? We let them choose the last meal, so why not.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Aside from the humane option of not executing anyone not convicted of documented corruption, seems like we could have some fun by letting prisoners choose their own execution method if a doctor is reasonably sure it would be lethal. Want to sit on top of a few tons of ammonium perchlorate as it cooks off? We let them choose the last meal, so why not.

cruelty is the point

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

citybeatnik posted:

I appreciate this reference.

Also I thought that one of the pushbacks against N2 was that folks didn't suffer enough. Is that just a false memory?

Yes, false memory if you're talking about the legal system. If you're talking about Joe Bob at the water cooler, maybe not.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That Works posted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/superme-court-alabama-proceed-nitrogen-gas-execution-1234953782/

Bolding mine. I'd likely lose my job if we used N2 gas to euthanize lab animals in our research. This is disgusting.

Every confined space safety class I have ever taken has emphasized that the real danger of N2 asphyxiation is that you're dead before you know you're in trouble. Your body doesn't have a built in response to that situation.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1750658778758877416

"We need a border deal NOW!"

"Also, we don't need a border deal that badly if it means I can use it as a pawn to not go to prison win the election."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1750658778758877416

"We need a border deal NOW!"

"Also, we don't need a border deal that badly if it means I can use it as a pawn to not go to prison win the election."

Piece of poo poo playing with peoples lives.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

joat mon posted:

Yes, false memory if you're talking about the legal system. If you're talking about Joe Bob at the water cooler, maybe not.

Fair enough. I might be conflating it with talk about other methods and the actual driving forces behind it. In short:

ded posted:

cruelty is the point

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Death by snoo snoo.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

citybeatnik posted:

Fair enough. I might be conflating it with talk about other methods and the actual driving forces behind it. In short:

Litigation about methods of execution is surprisingly decorum based and diplomatic compared to the rest of criminal law, possibly because the US is so closely split on the death penalty and because talking about methods is a level of abstraction away from the crimes that put people on death row. This is a very good thing, because...
Unfortunately, the far more important part, the 'should this person be executed by the State' part is neither diplomatic or decorum based. That side of death penalty jurisprudence is hosed. The foundations are absolutely broken at the lowest level, and everybody involved knows it. Cruelty is the point here, but it gets whitewashed as acceptable vengeance and 'but look what he did'
Maybe that's another reason why the pro death penalty folks treat execution methods so much more gently: To create the impression that the part the really matters, whether or not the State gets to execute a person, is not the arbitrary, capricious, racist and classist cluster gently caress that it really is.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There are so many bullshit stipulations on the whole last meal thing that it's pretty much a PR move. And they still manage to be total pricks about it just as much as not

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Midjack posted:

Death by snoo snoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

We let them choose the last meal, so why not.

Not in Texas anymore, because

ded posted:

cruelty is the point